2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

Sark realizes he has a problem.  That's a positive.  I also believe the addition of Chryst will help prevent 2nd half offensive malaise/brain cloud.
My main worries this season are the Big 12 refs/office and injuries to the wrong guys. I'm cautiously extremely optimistic.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Interesting. I just assumed you were still drunk. 

The OSU / KSU / TCU stretch was rough. Thank God we still held on to beat KSU, but that whole second half half had me screaming. More than anything, the OSU game made me question Ewers' future as QB1 and the TCU game made me questions Sark. I'm glad we cleaned things up and looked better against Kansas and Baylor, but it's hard for me to go full Wulaw with those games lingering on my mind.  

I can chalk up the poor Q4 offensive performance to us being up late in games. Playing ball control trying to run out the clock isn't going to boost statistics. The real issue for me is the defensive performance in Q4. Where the fuck is that drop off coming from? Seems insane. 

Boyd has verbal diarrhea and is painful to read, but is he wrong? Majors isn't great but it seems like the guards are our problem. 

I didn't read the article. I can't take Boyd seriously when the list of things he's been so wrong about (Whittington to safety, LJH should have stayed a RB, etc) that the well is forever poisoned. But what you just purported, that the Guards were the problem, would also knee-jerk be in disagreement with the Boyd premise of: Majors is the problem. 

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Sark realizes he has a problem.  That's a positive.  I also believe the addition of Chryst will help prevent 2nd half offensive malaise/brain cloud.
My main worries this season are the Big 12 refs/office and injuries to the wrong guys. I'm cautiously extremely optimistic.

If the team catches the bubonic plague or we end up with 3 games that look like Grant Taeff's farewell game or 2016 Ok State abortion then sure, Sark can get a pass. But not for run of the mill injuries or some tough calls going against you that every team faces at some point in time.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

OBD was 36th, way off from the overall rank of 16. I do wish there was a 3 and out stat available.  Not gaining a 1st down is essentially a wasted drive. Gaining 2 yards ,instead of the 0 is not a big difference. 

you want OFD

first down rate (OFD) is the percentage of drives that gained at least 10 yards or resulted in a touchdown. can just use the inverse of that to find out what you want if you want to look at it negatively?

Texas had an OFD of .716 (42nd) so on 28.4% of their drives they didn't score a TD or get a first down.

for comparison Oregon was #1 in OFD at .862 so 13.8% of their drives didn't result in a TD or first down.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I didn't read the article. I can't take Boyd seriously when the list of things he's been so wrong about (Whittington to safety, LJH should have stayed a RB, etc) that the well is forever poisoned. But what you just purported, that the Guards were the problem, would also knee-jerk be in disagreement with the Boyd premise of: Majors is the problem. 

Roschon to LB

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But what that entire article presupposes is, maybe he's not...

GlamorousOrangeHarvestmen-max-1mb.gif

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I skimmed the article because I'm not a masochist, but his point seemed to be that Majors was doing his best with a bad situation and that his job is hard enough when he's not being flanked by a true freshman and the dumbest smart kid I know. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

The OSU / KSU / TCU stretch was rough. Thank God we still held on to beat KSU, but that whole second half half had me screaming. More than anything, the OSU game made me question Ewers' future as QB1 and the TCU game made me questions Sark. I'm glad we cleaned things up and looked better against Kansas and Baylor, but it's hard for me to go full Wulaw with those games lingering on my mind.  

The KSU 2nd half included some dumb stuff on the players. Opening drive out of halftime we converted a 3rd down and Worthy fumbled, then the next drive we got into KSU territory and Savion Red got a stupid penalty that stalled the drive.

We started figuring some things out in the second half against TCU with the passing game, but if I remember right we had 2 trips inside the 5 yard line and came away with 3 total points? I just looked at the drive chart and we only had one 3 and out in the second half of that one. 

There were some weird second half games mixed in like WVU where we built up such a huge lead and then only had 3 true possessions in the second half as WVU had 14 or 15 play drives offensively. UTSA is another one where they dominated TOP and the turning point was a pick six which took away an offensive possession from us in the second half. OU we went up 49-0 early 4th and then just sat on the ball the rest of the way.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He would have been a great LB , Boyd gets a pass on that. I honestly thing Whittington would have made a great safety too. Probably would have been healthy much more as well.

No he wanted to change Roschon to LB prior to last year, not 4 years ago

Edited by BurntOrange&White

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's pretty lazy to not read the article and shit on it, even if it is Ian Boyd. His premise isn't that Majors is the problem. The title isn't declarative. It's a question - one that's pretty common in the Texas message board space. And his answer is that the issues were more about assignments and propped up when we were playing defenses that did a lot of slanting and post-snap movement: 

"In none of those games was Majors’ inability to bully big defensive tackles the issue. Problems always centered around “who’s got who” execution when D-linemen would move after the snap and slant across gaps. In a related story, Texas was using first-year starter and true sophomore Hayden Conner as the left guard and true freshmen Cole Hutson and D.J. Campbell at right guard."

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

BTW, Campbell will still be inexperienced if he starts this year, so expect more assignment mishaps. 

That's probably better than consistently getting blown into the backfield at the point of attack because that ain't happening with Campbell.  Pretty good guess he has fixed some things in order to win the job.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Finished 16th in OFEI, but the worst metric was OFD (drives the result in one 1st down or TD) at 42nd (.716) ... So Texas was a good offense, but one that was prone to 3 outs (28.4% drives failed to gain 10 yards)

Defense

Finished 11th in DFEI. Texas was 39th in DAY (yards available). Texas was 36th in DVD (drives that gain 30 yards or a TD), 45% of the opposing offense's gained 30 yards or a TD.. based on pts per drive (Texas finished 11th), that was generally first downs and not TDs. 

Thing that sticks out is the offense was not very consistent (too many 3 and outs) and the defense struggled getting off the field (too many drives with multiple 1st downs). That going to leave you with a tired defense in 4Q. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

He would have been a great LB , Boyd gets a pass on that. I honestly think Whittington would have made a great safety too. Probably would have been healthy much more as well.

Whittington at least played defense in HS.

I bet the last time RoJo played defense was as a freshman in HS maybe? was a fully time QB as a soph.

he was also the backup RB. it's not like this was a Caleb Bluiett situation

1 minute ago, NoName said:

I bet the last time RoJo played defense was as a freshman in HS maybe? was a fully time QB as a soph.

Trust me, I'm not arguing that he should have moved to LB, I'm saying that had he, he would have been great at it. He is/was a great football player, not just RB.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

He said in his own words in a press conference a few weeks ago that maybe he should have played safety.

I believe he said that to Nahlin as a joke, because Nahlin said his highest upside was at safety as a recruit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Perhaps just me, but it would have been awesome for Roschon to play a little LB and RB.

Then again, maybe we don’t win 10 games if he does.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sometimes I try. I start skimming sometime in the first paragraph, and then end up closing out of it a few seconds later. "wtf am I doing." 

Good for you. It takes a steel trap to escape the languid, paint-trying boring mesmerism of Ian Boyd that entraps posters like LonghornLove. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good for you. It takes a steel trap to escape the languid, paint-trying boring mesmerism of Ian Boyd that entraps posters like LonghornLove. 

I usually skip Ian articles for the same reasons already stated but had less than nothing to actually do at the time. It was uneventful given the title led it to be something it wasn't. It was a waste of time but I had time to waste, no loss really.

On 8/16/2023 at 1:02 PM, South Austin said:

I honestly wasn't sure if Nelly was still even alive. 

I’m pretty sure he performed at Longhorn City Limits or whatever they call that on the LBJ lawn. His performance was mostly his entourage rapping along with Nelly shouting every fifth word. Nelly did mention at one point that he was born in Austin so we have that going for us

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I usually skip Ian articles for the same reasons already stated but had less than nothing to actually do at the time. It was uneventful given the title led it to be something it wasn't. It was a waste of time but I had time to waste, no loss really.

We all see through this facade, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I caught some of the replay of the Baylor game on LHN the other night, and it Satya'd me like a bucket of ice water. Ewers had that disastrous fumble TD that put us down in the fourth quarter and from that point forward, they didn't let him throw the ball again. Bijan and Roschon ran it straight up their ass. The defense got a turnover and that was that. As bullish as I am on this team, Ewers is still a huge unknown. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I caught some of the replay of the Baylor game on LHN the other night, and it Satya'd me like a bucket of ice water. Ewers had that disastrous fumble TD that put us down in the fourth quarter and from that point forward, they didn't let him throw the ball again. Bijan and Roschon ran it straight up their ass. The defense got a turnover and that was that. As bullish as I am on this team, Ewers is still a huge unknown. 

The OKST and Baylor game Sark should have switched QBs at halftime. It was clear Ewers was mentally shot those games. Now that Maalik is healthy and Manning is in the fold, Sark better have confidence in switching to one of his backups if Ewers is having a bad day. Sark’s mentor Nick Saban literally won a national championship by subbing out a struggling QB at halftime, so there’s no reason Sark should hesitate 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Give the bowl game a watch. Ewers is much better there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

LOL at the people discussing Catalon getting drafted. I have been inside a War Room for an NFL team on draft day. It's fascinating. They had one column of prospects labeled as "X-Files". I asked what that meant. For them, it was to bucket highly talented guys that they decided they could not draft due to varying types of risk, with injuries being a leader. Catalon will be listed in every team's similar type of column. Someone might draft him late in order to prevent losing him in the UFA market, but that's going to be it. If he has an amazing, balls to the wall, AA season where he's taking over games, I still think most teams would be very leery of drafting him.

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sometimes I try. I start skimming sometime in the first paragraph, and then end up closing out of it a few seconds later. "wtf am I doing." 

I haven't read anything from that voluminously banal rube in years and haven't missed a single pertinent thing regarding Texas as a consequence of it.

34 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Your defending of Ian Boyd on this thread today is as insipid as most of the shit he publishes. Please stop.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I got the feeling that Sark didn't have any more confidence in Card than in a struggling Ewers. 

Having some WRs on the roster that can get open and catch a ball downfield might help some. 

One guy showed you something that cannot be fixed and the other showed you inexperience and high level talent. You go with the guy who can overcome his adversity. Card going full on catatonic in difficult situations wasn't going away. I've heard people talking shit about how he wasn't given a chance and he's going to show everyone something at Purdue, including the new Purdue HC on XM84. He'll show them who he is at Kinnick Stadium in October, if not sooner.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You're not wrong, but I want to defend Ewers a little bit. Our o-line was leaking like a sieve and he had someone in his face almost instantly on several pass plays. He was definitely off, but the fuck-ups were a team effort. It actually makes me feel a little better that Sark recognized what wasn't working and pivoted to what was, even if that pivot was as simple as handing the ball to our stud RBs. Not a ringing endorsement of his playcalling, but I honestly doubted Sark's willingness to get out of his own way after the TCU game. So it was still somewhat nice to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Recently rewatched Alamo bowl to get a better idea of the RG contest, they seemed to split drives fairly equally in that game although I didn't count (DJ came in on 3rd possession I think).  I don't know shit about fuck but I would say DJ looked like a  better prospect but they both seemed equally likely to whiff, go the wrong way, not see their man, or get penalized.

We had 6 yards rushing in the first half so there is plenty of bad plays to look at, but for an idiot like me on inside zone in particular it is hard to discern who is fucking up but it didn't seem like it was Majors.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

LOL you read it. 

On 8/16/2023 at 6:50 AM, lilMAC25 said:

This. Keep the CR bullshit IN CR. That’s why it exists. 

I read this thread for football call camp updates, not political harambes.

time stop GIF

On 8/16/2023 at 11:58 AM, nunna yo bizness said:

keith.jpg

Whoa Nelly

This is peak shag...uh...surly. kudos.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2