2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

40 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We need this season to start already. I just heard Ian Boyd wonder if Harold Perkins would be better than David Gbenda on the Inside Texas podcast. Peak offseason retardedness. 

Gerry and Bobby knocked that one down pretty fast. Something like he may not be a a great traditional ILB fit, but if you can’t find a role for a talent like that, you won’t be a DC long. Hoping PK aligns with Bobby and Gerry on that for Hills sake 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Neyor is going to need a bad ass season to get the draft grade he wants. I’m not convinced Mitchell is automatically gone either. 

You don’t think the super talented but oft injured WR is going to go pro if he has an elite season where he isn’t injured? Well ok then. 

50 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We need this season to start already. I just heard Ian Boyd wonder if Harold Perkins would be better than David Gbenda on the Inside Texas podcast. Peak offseason retardedness. 

That isn’t anything related to the off-season, that’s just your standard, evergreen, set your-watch-by-it Ian Boyd dumbshittery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Saw that. Bobby and Gerry's side-eye at Ian was hilarious 

• Haha 1

Additional IT notes:

1:34pm (Gerry)

One scrimmage note to add...

Hearing Malik Muhammad had another forced fumble this morning. And a third down PBU.

12:46pm (Bobby)

No obvious major injuries. But that is pending post-practice rehab/trainer stuff.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You don’t think the super talented but oft injured WR is going to go pro if he has an elite season where he isn’t injured? Well ok then. 

Is he oft injured?  I know he had the torn ACL but I thought that was his only injury. If he’s running like 5th of current pass catchers and the top 4 all go pro, which seems plausible, I could see him come back expecting to be the man and have his stock blow up.

Or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is he oft injured?  I know he had the torn ACL but I thought that was his only injury. If he’s running like 5th of current pass catchers and the top 4 all go pro, which seems plausible, I could see him come back expecting to be the man and have his stock blow up.

Or not. 

I was referring to Mitchell, not Neyor. His post said “I’m not sure Mitchell is a lock to leave either” or something similar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was referring to Mitchell, not Neyor. His post said “I’m not sure Mitchell is a lock to leave either” or something similar. 

Damn it. Reading is fundamental. Yeah- AD is gone for sure if he’s healthy and shows out nice.  I have seen plenty of people think Neyor will be gone too, but that seems like a guy who would benefit by playing in 2024 as the #1 option. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Damn it. Reading is fundamental. Yeah- AD is gone for sure if he’s healthy and shows out nice.  I have seen plenty of people think Neyor will be gone too, but that seems like a guy who would benefit by playing in 2024 as the #1 option. 

image.gif.243baf6eabef9659ad77fd446c5b6eec.gif

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If Neyor has plenty of flashes this season, I would anticipate that he might be offered a package to stay, Whittington style. But that’s just my speculation.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

If Neyor has plenty of flashes this season, I would anticipate that he might be offered a package to stay, Whittington style. But that’s just my speculation.

I can definitely see a scenario where Neyor isn’t quite back 100% from his knee injury, and doesn’t get as many targets because of the three great WR’s who will start. Another year where he can be the #1 target in 2024 playing SEC competition to show for the NFL might be in his best long term interests, if he gets a decent NIL deal to stay in Austin.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I can definitely see a scenario where Neyor isn’t quite back 100% from his knee injury, and doesn’t get as many targets because of the three great WR’s who will start. Another year where he can be the #1 target in 2024 playing SEC competition to show for the NFL might be in his best long term interests, if he gets a decent NIL deal to stay in Austin.  

I love how NIL can keep borderline draft-able kids in school and getting paid.

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I see it playing out like this as well.  Cook and Moore take over for AD and X.  And we get Wingo to back up Neyor.

So one early year of payment, then having  the rest of your NIL based off of some shit hole college town in the midwest? Weird flex but okay. 

That's not going to have the payout he thinks it's going to have but I guess used car dealerships and farmers needs brand reps too. 

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Wingo is going to Mizzou. Their state NIL laws allow paying kids while they're still in HS 

So go to Mizzou to have money four months earlier then he can from Texas and less money overall?  He’s an early enrollee.  That would be pretty dumb if that is his reason to go there.  

Edited by Hook1997

41 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I love how NIL can keep borderline draft-able kids in school and getting paid.

It was so predictable during the preceding period of time when NIL was theoretical but still viewed as a far fetched impracticality that I didnt understand why the movement for change wasnt more directed towards NIL rather than the nickel and diming of the transfer portal and other penny-ante nonsense that has left the sport in such disarray. Had they started with NIL first there'd be a much more reasonable transfer portal protocol than what we have now. People forget that the transfer portal was really just a carrot thrown out to further avoid the inevitable of players eventually getting money in some form. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

So one early year of payment, then having  the rest of your NIL based off of some shit hole college town in the midwest? Weird flex but okay. 

That's not going to have the payout he thinks it's going to have but I guess used car dealerships and farmers needs brand reps too. 

17-18 year olds don't always make financial decisions based on a multi-year time horizon. Mizzou just landed a local 5 star DE Nwaneri via upfront NIL payments. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I believe he is an early enrollee, I maybe off on that, so it is more like 4 months. Might not be as big of an issue as people are making it out to be 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So are now in official panic mode over the offense or what. I just need to know what to freak out about right now 

Not off reports from a bunch of dudes who weren't even in attendance and have questionable at best credibility. In the case of OB zero credibility. 

The offense will struggle in week 2. Getting to 24 pts will be a chore. The defense will need to carry the day in that game and the offense will need to be able to make plays in the 4th. 

Every other game the offense should be able to win their share. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

I certainly hope Baxter isn’t starting this season. I have higher expectations of Brooks. 

Sark mentioning Baxter in pass blocking is a very good sign, that he will play a lot. Brooks as never made it through a season and that is with limited playing time. Baxter pushing him is very good for Texas 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Here’s the OB scrimmage notes

Hide contents

(Geoff 5:35pm)

* Malik Muhammad was all over the place. Apparently, he had one INT and multiple pass break-ups. The young freshman continues his surge. 

* Overall, one source described the day as great for the defense

* Yet another person went out of their way to mention CJ Baxter.

* One source said the first-team offense was pretty much the first-team offense, while the second-team offense rotated quite a bit. 

* One source mentioned that Isaiah Neyor's route-running and athleticism stood out. 

* Another source mentioned that the sheer size of the team was something that he couldn't help but notice. He observed it's so clear how different this team looks to the naked eye compared to recent history. 

(Anwar)

--- It looks like the defense had another strong performance on Saturday. I was told the front seven dominated throughout most of the scrimmage and the offense struggled to complete drives. It was the second consecutive week the Longhorn defense had a better day than the offense.

--- One example of that is Quinn Ewers led his team from their own 20-yard line to the opposing 20-yard line. However, the offense failed to score.

--- If there is one offensive bright note, Ewers did throw a touchdown pass to AD Mitchell, who caught a tippy-toe pass in the end zone.

--- The defensive line was consistently in the backfield on Saturday. This unit has performed well throughout training camp.

--- Xavier Worthy caught a one-handed pass while falling down after a ball was tipped. That was the most exciting offensive play.

--- Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning split second-team reps on Saturday. Manning worked with the 3s last week. Neither quarterback had a spectacular pass or run during the scrimmage. However, it appears they did not turn the ball over, which was an area of emphasis in practice this week.

--- The running backs were described as "solid". Keilan Robinson and Jaydon Blue were solid on short-yardage runs. It does not appear the running backs got loose for long runs.

(Ketch)

A few notes from a source still exchanging texts (will update when I have more).

1. The biggest piece of good news. No injuries. One person told me it was the best part of the scrimmage.

2. Doesn't sound like the offense bounced back from last week's scrimmage with a big performance. It wasn't described as a one-sided practice, but one person told me that the offense is still a work in progress.

3. Same source: "Cedric Baxter will start at running back before the season is finished."

4. I'm still trying to get specifics on the back-up quarterbacks, but one source noted that this offense isn't the same when Quinn isn't the quarterback. "We'll go as he goes," the source said.

Will add more as the notes come in

Sounds like our offense is in trouble.... Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

17-18 year olds don't always make financial decisions based on a multi-year time horizon. Mizzou just landed a local 5 star DE Nwaneri via upfront NIL payments. 

What’s to stop the kid from switching right before signing day? It binds the school to the kid, not vice versa. It’s going to take just one kid to flip on their ass and the whole thing goes out the window. 

• Like 1

Defense should be getting the better of the offense in these type of settings a large majority of the time or at worst breaking even.

The offense isn’t gameplanning, the number of true play calls to learn is far fewer on defense, defense has probably seen the bread and butter offensive plays 20x a week during practice, etc.

Only program I can recall recently where I routinely read about the offense dominating the defense in scrimmages was Riley’s OU teams and we know how those defenses turned out.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

What’s to stop the kid from switching right before signing day? It binds the school to the kid, not vice versa. It’s going to take just one kid to flip on their ass and the whole thing goes out the window. 

This was my reaction, as well.

All’s fair in love and recruiting…and some stupid school like Mizzou is going to learn the hard way.

It’s like giving a kid a gold TransAm before signing day…😂

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Sark mentioning Baxter in pass blocking is a very good sign, that he will play a lot. Brooks as never made it through a season and that is with limited playing time. Baxter pushing him is very good for Texas 

Baxter earning PT is not a bad thing to be sure. 
For the sake of developing guys in the program I’d hope 1 of the 3 upperclassmen would be better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Another source mentioned that the sheer size of the team was something that he couldn't help but notice. He observed it's so clear how different this team looks to the naked eye compared to recent history. 

And they’re lighter, AND FASTER THAN EVER!

1 hour ago, MH BEVO said:

I certainly hope Baxter isn’t starting this season. I have higher expectations of Brooks. 

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but this one is dumb as fuck. The best player starts, period. Hypothetically, Baxter could be good enough to be this year’s heisman winner, but you’d rather Brooks start because of your expectations or personal feelings about the player?

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but this one is dumb as fuck. The best player starts, period. Hypothetically, Baxter could be good enough to be this year’s heisman winner, but you’d rather Brooks start because of your expectations or personal feelings about the player?

Hey man my profile pic is literally Baxters drawing. No one here would be happier with his success. I have higher expectations of the program. The only person suggesting Baxter start is Ketch and his sources. I don’t feel bad about my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

Hey man my profile pic is literally Baxters drawing. No one here would be happier with his success. I have higher expectations of the program. The only person suggesting Baxter start is Ketch and his sources. I don’t feel bad about my opinion. 

The point is, players of a certain talent immediately transcend above other, more experienced players. That’s the level of talent we should always hope to bring in, and unlike Tom Herman’s dumb ass, get them on the field immediately. 

I’ve loved me some Brooks, what little we’ve seen, but here’s a reminder about expectations of the program. His offer list:

IMG_1851.jpeg

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

The point is, players of a certain talent immediately transcend above other, more experienced players. That’s the level of talent we should always hope to bring in, and unlike Tom Herman’s dumb ass, get them on the field immediately. 

I’ve loved me some Brooks, what little we’ve seen, but here’s a reminder about expectations of the program. His offer list:

IMG_1851.jpeg

Fwiw, there were major programs sniffing around but he didn’t give them the time of day 

• Hook 'Em 3