2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

I would offer that Gbenda's results reflect his coaching and the players around him, good and bad. 
A LB in the middle is impacted by other players more so than most others.

I’m buying this. Well cause I want to buy it.

The LBs actions and reactions are dictated by play call first then post snap actions. The post snap actions are often dictated by those in front of them and those behind (are you doing your job). If the DE or the DB runs upfield when it’s right at them, I can’t fault an ILB for getting there a tick late when the end man not only doesn’t help but makes it worse because there’s more space created. It also sucks as a Lb when your pursuit gets screwed up because the dude in front gets his ass thrown into you even if it’s just a slight clip. Or like the UW game when you’re trying to step up to fill the hole and you can’t get there because the Dl is 2-3 yards off the ball and in your face. You’re asking the impossible when you’re consistently trying to do your job then cover elsewhere.

For 2021, we were learning a new staff, a new scheme again. So that’s understandable we’d be slower on the uptake. Maybe even slower since the staff was learning to work with each other. There is no good LBer play unless it starts upfront.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Comparing Arch’s NIL deals with everyone else is going to be interesting.  I’m guessing the Manning family brand would prefer Arch’s deals to profile more like a PGA tour player or something instead of shilling for $9.95 websites.

I fully expect Arch to appear next to his uncle’s national commercials at some point. Eli puts Frank’s red hot sauce on everything, then fires a football at a dunking booth target and knocks arch into a vat of buffalo flavor. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

You’re right to be suspicious but I think Arch over Malik on the depth chart isn’t surprising 

It's surprising to me based on how they played in the spring game. Perhaps Arch took long strides since then but it's surprising to me nonetheless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTEE97 said:

It's surprising to me based on how they played in the spring game. Perhaps Arch took long strides since then but it's surprising to me nonetheless. 

In the spring game Murphy was throwing to Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore running routes against walk-on CB's. 

Arch had the luxury of throwing to Thatcher Milton and Paxton Anderson running routes against Malik Muhammad.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

In the spring game Murphy was throwing to Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore running routes against walk-on CB's. 

Arch had the luxury of throwing to Thatcher Milton and Paxton Anderson running routes against Malik Muhammad.

With the bottom of the OL depth chart in front of him.  He was under duress the entire time he was on the field.

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yep. Murphy's spring game is the most overhyped thing about Texas football since Houston BMDs' opinion of Tom Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Let’s not let actual context ruin the narrative everyone wanted that Malik should starts

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I fully expect Arch to appear next to his uncle’s national commercials at some point. Eli puts Frank’s red hot sauce on everything, then fires a football at a dunking booth target and knocks arch into a vat of buffalo flavor. 

Wouldn’t they be arguing about whether the dogs are done and Arch would comment that prefers his a little more done.  “I prefer mine burnt orange” and Eli shakes his head and walks away.  

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Wasnt just pass pro. Texas did not do a great jump handling DL movement in the run game either. 

Rewatching the UTSA game right now. Both Bijan and Roschon just had plays where they had to make people loss in the backfield due to OL breakdowns.

I will give Sark lots of credit for his pre-season press conferences. He's more open than most head coaches and his answers show he's thought through some of the team/org/mental issues and he's not just doing something because that's how he was taught under LaVell Edwards or Norm Chow. Seems like that's a rare trait among football coaches.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Babers and Bobby

On Texas Football | Top Players At Texas | Rod Babers NFL Talent Projections | Quinn Ewers | #HookEm

37 minutes ago

It was interesting to hear Babers give his opinion on the draft with Texas players.  He wasn’t a huge homer predicting everyone in the first two rounds. 

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

I will give Sark lots of credit for his pre-season press conferences. He's more open than most head coaches and his answers show he's thought through some of the team/org/mental issues and he's not just doing something because that's how he was taught under LaVell Edwards or Norm Chow. Seems like that's a rare trait among football coaches.

He does appear to have more self awareness than Sidney and his partner CTJ. Very strong management of roster deficiencies and great in recruiting. Strong CEO presence and if he was launching a company to go public I would buy at this point. This year I think performance will exceed pro forma so I bought in.  My apprehension after transferring funds for investment is how will he deal with real time unanticipated events game day? I’m optimistic I’m getting 10 plus wins return on investment maybe 11 regular season.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Yeah, but has he referenced Of Mice and Men yet?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/20/2023 at 2:09 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Sark has excellent in every single aspect of running a program to this point. Like home runs everywhere except literally gameday playcalling. I think you’ve got it backwards. Now, maybe he doesn’t have the time to do everything well and call plays, but the other aspects of his job at this point are not in question. 

That's my point. The thing that he was excellent at in other spots is not the thing he's been excellent at here. Maybe not excellent play caller will suffice in combination with running the program excellently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knewk210 said:

He does appear to have more self awareness than Sidney and his partner CTJ. Very strong management of roster deficiencies and great in recruiting. Strong CEO presence and if he was launching a company to go public I would buy at this point. This year I think performance will exceed pro forma so I bought in.  My apprehension after transferring funds for investment is how will he deal with real time unanticipated events game day? I’m optimistic I’m getting 10 plus wins return on investment maybe 11 regular season.

Lay it out, where is my self awareness lacking? 

I’ll tell you usually when I see “strong CEO presence” I assume I’m reading a Liucci snippet. 

this seems like a good time to highlight that I have, on this thread, pointed out that sark has crushed every aspect of program building save only playcalling. Again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Slacks said:

That's my point. The thing that he was excellent at in other spots is not the thing he's been excellent at here. Maybe not excellent play caller will suffice in combination with running the program excellently. 

No. He needs to do both or bring in help to take pressure off one or other. 

I’m optimistic. I think his play calling improves with his confidence in the team’s talent, experience.

Edited by Mach 1

5 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I feel like we haven't heard much about Arch making great throws. I, for one, don't care how the ball moves, as long as it moves, but typically a QB who can't complete passes on the regular is going to get exposed. From the scrimmage where Arch outplayed Malik, all we heard about is him having one long run. If he's really pushing Murphy, there must be more development of his passing attack this camp than 9.95ers have been told.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

I feel like we haven't heard much about Arch making great throws. I, for one, don't care how the ball moves, as long as it moves, but typically a QB who can't complete passes on the regular is going to get exposed. From the scrimmage where Arch outplayed Malik, all we heard about is him having one long run. If he's really pushing Murphy, there must be more development of his passing attack this camp than 9.95ers have been told.

I don't know how anyone can put much weight to practice reports any more. They feed us what they think we want to hear. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

First depth chart:

1. Ewers 2. Murphy OR Manning

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

No. He needs to do both or bring in help to take pressure off one or other. 

I’m optimistic. I think his play calling improves with his confidence in the team’s talent, experience.

Anybody's play calling would look good with the talent that Mac Jones led offense had. Sark's play calling here will be judged in direct correlation to the level of talent advantage his offensive personnel has over the opponent. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Anybody's play calling would look good with the talent that Mac Jones led offense had. Sark's play calling here will be judged in direct correlation to the level of talent advantage his offensive personnel has over the opponent. 

So the cake may not be baked… but it better taste good.

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Like BoB?

Man you really like the football
- day trading analogy huh?

Season needs to just start.

13 hours ago, Knewk210 said:

This is better than cheese puns, but it’s like you’re pulling random words from investopedia and shoehorning them into your post to try and make the metaphor work.

Investing solely based on the charisma of a CEO with a decidedly unproven track record is exactly what you are taught NOT to do.  Maybe Elizabeth Holmes could win 9 games with this team with that logic?

But yes, these press conferences are refreshing because they are underscored by the outstanding roster management and culture building in the program right now.  Further, the state of our current athletic department as a whole is a sark contrast from the Herman and strong years.  Think back to 2015: you spent the entire afternoon tailgating on the unforgiving asphalt of the BB museum parking lot before watching someone nicknamed “No Contact At All” try and protect Jerrod Heard’s blindside.  We’ve come a long way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Knewk210 said:

As much as I enjoy finance analogies, I’m not sure you’re using “pro forma” properly here. Pro forma is used to describe a set of financial statements that are disclosed using some underlying assumptions (usually because they deviate from GAAP accounting) or to indicate restatement of financials due to a merger/asset disposal.

If you’re saying you think they’ll exceed some sort of projection, then using pro forma in that statement implies you think they’ll exceed your own projection (which is circular). Exceeding consensus expectations is probably more appropriate in that context.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think options trading is the correct analogy here).  Buy/Sell / Puts/Calls / Straddles & Ladders.  You are looking at Dec Longhorn Football 10 win call options.  Kool-Aid is high,  so market is undervaluing puts below 10.  Buy 9 puts and when we lose our first game,  sell the puts, and close out your position.  This is how money is made. 

Wait, what were we talking about?  

Edited by TheAuditor
options are hard
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

So...we hired Sark because he was an offensive genius legendary play caller but that very thing is what we are questioning as the weak part of his coaching?

You think that Texas hired somone as their head football coach based solely on how we think he'd call plays? And that we had no other expectations of someone that was to be our Head Coach. Not hiring a staff, not recruiting, not program management, just play calling? Well, that's a take. Do you buy your car based solely on how well you think it's going to carry your bicycle around?

Also, you have literally no idea "Why" the athletic department decided to hire Sarkisian. Neither do I. But I know it wasn't for just one thing. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

47 minutes ago, Octavian said:

As much as I enjoy finance analogies, I’m not sure you’re using “pro forma” properly here. Pro forma is used to describe a set of financial statements that are disclosed using some underlying assumptions (usually because they deviate from GAAP accounting) or to indicate restatement of financials due to a merger/asset disposal.

If you’re saying you think they’ll exceed some sort of projection, then using pro forma in that statement implies you think they’ll exceed your own projection (which is circular). Exceeding consensus expectations is probably more appropriate in that context.

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

A slam dunk way to increase his profile even more would be to have him pop on with their MNF show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

A slam dunk way to increase his profile even more would be to have him pop on with their MNF show. 

can you imagine how loud the screeching from College Station will be when that happens?

Season 3 Ben GIF by Parks and Recreation

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

can you imagine how loud the screeching from College Station will be when that happens?

Season 3 Ben GIF by Parks and Recreation

Sheep don’t screech, they baa, so it would  be baaing coming from the station.  Owls are the ones who screech, and I don’t think Rice would really care at all.