Maui is on fire

HiggyBaby

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

Ok, I have to ask a dumb question. Obviously desalination isn't economical at present for our general water shortage issues, but is seawater an option for firefighting and/or de-risking areas of extreme wildfire danger? Just seems crazy that a spot literally on the coast could go up so quickly.

boat.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Ok, I have to ask a dumb question. Obviously desalination isn't economical at present for our general water shortage issues, but is seawater an option for firefighting and/or de-risking areas of extreme wildfire danger? Just seems crazy that a spot literally on the coast could go up so quickly.

Chinooks have been here dropping ocean water for 2 days, it just wasn’t possible at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I want to quote this -- this is the best place to donate. HCF will give 100% of all funds directly to victims and restoration. They will not take anything for operating or admin costs. My wife works closely with HCF and with many families in Maui, and she knows firsthand that HCF will do right by any money donated. Please give what you can. 

@Baboontyme

• Like 1

Government ineptitude is making things very frustrating. They closed all non official access to Lāhainā so all of the supplies that weren’t fema official that people have bought and collected independently (a fuck ton) were not being allowed through. People obviously used boats to get around that issue via beach drops. They then opened the roads allowing people from Lāhainā to go grab supplies in town and then promptly shut them down again leaving said people stuck in Kahului. Madness. 

The answer to your question is complex and not short. The shirt is no, it's not feasible for a fire truck to do this.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Government ineptitude is making things very frustrating. They closed all non official access to Lāhainā so all of the supplies that weren’t fema official that people have bought and collected independently (a fuck ton) were not being allowed through. People obviously used boats to get around that issue via beach drops. They then opened the roads allowing people from Lāhainā to go grab supplies in town and then promptly shut them down again leaving said people stuck in Kahului. Madness. 

They tried to do that during Harvey and all of us that were down there told them to go fuck their own faces.   

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

No non essential personal need to be in Lāhainā right now, its an active disaster zone filled with toxic materials. I know residents want to get back and inspect the damage but there is nothing they can do and its not going anywhere. I'm seeing videos of people sifting through debris without PPE, IDIOTS, that stuff is toxic. No one was wearing gloves let alone respirators, hello asbestos and countless other carcinogens, not to mention there are downed powerlines, nails and screws everywhere.

Edited by Smax
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Modern fire trucks may not do this, but older engines used the hydrant water to cool the engine so they wouldn't overheat in heavy use. Not sure you'd want salt water in your engine.

I think during the ITC fire.  They threw a 5 inch hose into the channel and has it hooked into a pump that had a ton of 3 inch splitters so people were dragging hand lines into the flames until the on scene said WTF are you weekend warriors trying to kill yourself for.  Let the fucker burn.  Pull the fuck back.

4 hours ago, Smax said:

No non essential personal need to be in Lāhainā right now, its an active disaster zone filled with toxic materials. I know residents want to get back and inspect the damage but there is nothing they can do and its not going anywhere. I'm seeing videos of people sifting through debris without PPE, IDIOTS, that stuff is toxic. No one was wearing gloves let alone respirators, hello asbestos and countless other carcinogens, not to mention there are downed powerlines, nails and screws everywhere.

There’s literal tons of supplies sitting over here doing nothing. They could open the bypass to get to the thousands of people camping in Kaanapali, Napili, Kahana while closing access to the lower roads to Lahaina proper. And they sure as shit shouldn’t have opened it allowing people to make supply runs to Kahului for their families and then trapping them on this side

89 dead, and counting. 

Dear lord.

Maui Police Chief John Pelletier said two of the 89 victims have been identified so far, adding that identifying the dead is extremely challenging because “we pick up the remains and they fall apart.”

https://apnews.com/article/maui-hawaii-fires-lahaina-destruction-evacuation-38ec0d6a5c610035a0a72b804fcdffe0

• Rage+1 3

I saw something about the DEW thing.  The green lights over Hawaii a few months ago.  It wasn't done by a government though.  It was actually done buy an evil land developer backed by Black Rock.  High rises and condos are going to be rebuilt for rich haoles to retire.  Rent is going to choke expensive for us locals brah.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t pretend to know the details but it’s a balancing act with disasters and normal economic activity. 100% you should be respectful of areas in recovery mode especially when they’re actively searching for people but work activity brings needed money into the communities. Turning that off can have impacts that last years.

add to the fact that there is a very vocal group in Hawaii who already call for the halt of tourism even before this disaster. Those voices are amplified now because they see any tourist as disrespectful just by their presence. This horrific tragedy is going to add to their emotions about tourists.

but all issues aside I can’t imagine being in a wildfire much less one that gives you no where to run. Something failed in their emergency response or recognition.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Every first responder I’ve talked to at the hospital and shelter basically says quadruple that.

The Maui police chief was quoted late yesterday that only a tiny piece (3%) of the search area had been covered by cadaver dogs.

So yeah, unfortunately, that could be the case. 

On 8/10/2023 at 11:02 AM, HiggyBaby said:

Thanks for the link. My family and I are trying to figure out how to help the local community as best we can with a direct route of funding. A friend of ours runs a tourist business down there and her van and home have been obliterated.

I learned first-hand from the Wimberley floods to never ever ever give money to the Red Cross.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t pretend to know the details but it’s a balancing act with disasters and normal economic activity. 100% you should be respectful of areas in recovery mode especially when they’re actively searching for people but work activity brings needed money into the communities. Turning that off can have impacts that last years.

add to the fact that there is a very vocal group in Hawaii who already call for the halt of tourism even before this disaster. Those voices are amplified now because they see any tourist as disrespectful just by their presence. This horrific tragedy is going to add to their emotions about tourists.

but all issues aside I can’t imagine being in a wildfire much less one that gives you no where to run. Something failed in their emergency response or recognition.

Just want to say that I was expecting a certain amount of hostility from the locals, even before the disaster. I know the history of the islands and had heard that tourists were not well thought of. What I experienced was the opposite. Of course it helps if you are respectful, empathetic, charitable and courteous but the people I encountered were as sympathetic to us for our travel plights as they were to other locals. I'm like I slept in a mall man, these people lost homes, it isn't the same. But the genuine feelings of concern and safety were real and very humbling. It makes me very much want to go back and pump money into the economy when the time is right. Of course I don't have much money left after this ordeal but that is a separate issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

unfortunately, confirmed total up to 93 and expected to climb much higher.

supposedly over 1,000 still marked as missing -although we know from previous disasters like this, the missing persons number almost always has people double counted, or someone is forgotten to be marked as safe, so lets hope there are a fuckload of triple counted folks on the list.  

Still, that leaves 300-500 folks who havent been able to checkmark as ok.   which unfortunately kinda matches up with Hank Hill's 1st responder estimates. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

A concerning amount of people here are pumping the DEW theory as the cause. Maybe I’m just a sheep.

I’m with the power lines starting a fire theory. PG&E started many wildfires in California so it’s not like it’s a crackpot conspiracy. 

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So what's the preferred charity?

Anyone but the Red Cross.

We know a lady / artist that sells shirts outside our timeshare so at least we know directly where the money is going. Like so many others, she lost it all.

Edited by Wally Pryor

24 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I’m with the power lines starting a fire theory. PG&E started many wildfires in California so it’s not like it’s a crackpot conspiracy. 

Yea, conspiracy theorists have a way of making simple things complicated. Do I believe evil developers and corporations are 100% licking their chops strategizing how they can use this to acquire land? 1000%. I don’t think this was some planned event though.

• Hook 'Em 4

Power lines are probably the most likely scenario but you never know if a person did it on purpose especially not anticipating the outcome. Remember when a naval shipyard worker stared a fire on the USS Miami submarine while it was in dry dock. He was out of PTO and needed a break. Half a billion $ in damages later, the submarine was scrapped and he was sentenced to 17 years in prison. 

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

I learned that from here, I had no idea about the bullshit most charities pull. 

It is ridiculous. I see that shit everyday. And churches are just as bad as 501's. 

In Bastrop they took in donations, sat on it, and then went around buying land. Now all tax exempt. Buddy worked for one and had storage units full of diapers and baby products. Very little went to those impacted. 

Oh well...... 

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Power lines are probably the most likely scenario but you never know if a person did it on purpose especially not anticipating the outcome. Remember when a naval shipyard worker stared a fire on the USS Miami submarine while it was in dry dock. He was out of PTO and needed a break. Half a billion $ in damages later, the submarine was scrapped and he was sentenced to 17 years in prison. 

It was a power line, people have a video of it starting behind their house.  They were interviewed on the Hawaii news like yesterday or something.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, there is actually a forestry guy who was a PHD candidate that wrote his dissertation on Maui and especially that area on how severe the risk of wildfires are in that area.  They kinda shrugged it off.  Now a bunch of big news outlets are seeing all those warnings and are going to start asking why more wasn't done.  Apparently 80 of the warning sirens did not go off either.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MrBig said:

Yep. My in-laws lived in Paradise CA and lost everything in that monster fire and are signed on to the class action suit against PG&E. My father-in-law was driving kids to school that morning and barely made it out. His burned out school bus was all over the news. I can't even talk to them about this horrific Maui fire because I don't think they have fully processed what they went through. 

Wildfires suck.

7 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

4E5AABDB-7E98-470A-8BAE-6CD18467A231.thumb.jpeg.cb7b965f015cfea8d88aac37db4111da.jpeg

This kinda shit still being said by multiple people over there 72 hours in is fucking infuriating.

Shit like this happened in the wake of Katrina as well.  My truck and trailer was the first sign of relief supplies, workers, relief ANYTHING, to reach Slidell, 3 days after the floodwaters subsided.

As a country, we are not well-equipped to respond to large-scale disasters, and I really don't know why.  Hawaii has a huge military presence.  Why they aren't tasked with some logistics has always baffled me.  They are THE gov't organization that knows how to hop to it and be on the ground somewhere in 24 hours.  "FEMA" my ass.  FEMA does fine on a smaller scale, and a slower scale.  But for acute emergency response on a massive scale, this is one of the reasons you have a military.

• Like 2