Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

And it’s cracking me up that several posters on this thread have succinctly laid out a variety of factors relevant to evaluating when it would be safe to relax precautions, and then concluded “How could world renowned epidemiologist Anthony Fauci possibly have explained this?” 

If Jordan was operating in good faith, then yes, I agree. However, I'm not convinced it would have gone any better because that is considered moving the goal posts apparently. But to your point, Fauci could take some lessons from Rep Porter and have a presentation that is similar to her whiteboard bullet point explanation of 'boom, there you have it.'

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And it’s cracking me up that several posters on this thread have succinctly laid out a variety of factors relevant to evaluating when it would be safe to relax precautions, and then concluded “How could world renowned epidemiologist Anthony Fauci possibly have explained this?” 

But he's explained it before...how are you not getting this? He has nothing new to add to the CDC statements? Fauci lets Walensky and the CDC speak? How are you not getting this?

He has been the focus of Republican attacks for about a year now and nothing he says or does will ever be good enough. I am glad he finally spoke up and accused of Gym of making it "personal" as opposed to doing his job as a member of Congress. How do you not get this?

The fact is that even if his question was legitimate, Gym Jordan is not a legitimate person seeking a legitimate answer.  Look at the way he goes about his questioning.  That is childish, buffoonish fucking nonsense that should be treated as such.  If someone talked to me like that in a meeting or whatever, I would likely dismiss the shit out of them and tell them to get fucked and come back when they feel like being a goddamned adult human. 

This is just more theatrical, performative politics meant to create a sound/video clip that chuds/traitors/GQP fuckbois can jerkoff to while complaining that Fauci is some type of deep state actor intent on keeping them from their freedumb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Jesus Christ. Some of y’all need to calm down and read before posting. I made it clear from the outset that I do not agree with Jordan’s first amendment crap:

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m not sure I disagree with Jordan on this one. Not his stupid “WE WANT OUR FREEDOM BACK!!!” histrionics.

My point is and always has been that his request for some specific guidance from the nation’s most prominent expert on the pandemic as to when we can expect to safely go out in public without a mask is not unreasonable, and that Fauci’s refusal to provide any answer to that question other than “It ain’t safe now!” is unhelpful.

All the other shit Jim Jordan has done that you don’t agree with is completely irrelevant. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

The fact is that even if his question was legitimate, Gym Jordan is not a legitimate person seeking a legitimate answer.  Look at the way he goes about his questioning.  That is childish, buffoonish fucking nonsense that should be treated as such.  If someone talked to me like that in a meeting or whatever, I would likely dismiss the shit out of them and tell them to get fucked and come back when they feel like being a goddamned adult human. 

This is just more theatrical, performative politics meant to create a sound/video clip that chuds/traitors/GQP fuckbois can jerkoff to while complaining that Fauci is some type of deep state actor intent on keeping them from their freedumb.

That was my take. I understand where people are coming from on the guidance and wanting answers, and that is why the CDC is having daily briefings (has Jordan even bothered to watch those?).

A really adult and substantive discussion could be taking place right now and instead we have someone who is being paid to sit there and 'own the libtard,' by verbally wasting minutes upon minutes of legislated time.

IDIOTWORLD

• Hook 'Em 2

Let's also not act like Gym has not been briefed on the current information. He knows damn well and doesn't need a concrete date from Fauci - and that is exactly what Gym was pushing for. The country is going to have to deal with this for another year likely and this information is also available to the public.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/949154

The first paragraphs:

It's likely the United States will see another surge of COVID-19 this winter, warned Christopher Murray, MD, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Speaking at the national conference of State of Reform on April 8, Murray cited the seasonality of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which wanes in the summer and waxes in the winter. The "optimistic forecast" of IHME, which has modeled the course of the pandemic for the past 13 months, is that daily deaths will rise a bit in the next month, then decline from May through August, he said.

"Summer should be fairly quiet in terms of COVID, if vaccinations rise and people don't stop wearing masks," Murray said.

But he added that "a considerable surge will occur over next winter," because the new variants are more transmissible, and people will likely relax social distancing and mask wearing. The IHME predicts that the percentage of Americans who usually don masks will decline from 73% today to 21% by August 1.

With a rapid decline in mask use and a rise in mobility, there will still be more than 1000 deaths each day by July 1, Murray said. In a forecast released the day after Murray spoke, the IHME predicted that by August 1, there will be a total of 618,523 US deaths from COVID-19. Deaths could be as high as 696,651 if mobility among the vaccinated returns to pre-pandemic levels, the institute forecasts.

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Perhaps, but then the follow up from Gym would have been...."well when is that gonna happen?"

Gym definitely lost his credibility when he criticized Waters for saying the Chair of Whichever Committee She Heads (my apologies I have forgotten which committee) said she loves you. Then it was crystal clear that it was political grandstanding and a waste of American taxpayer money at the point. Let Fauci and Walensky go back to their offices and continue to trying to be constructive.

Then Fauci could have responded, "whenever you and your fellow Rs try responsible leadership for once and tell your people to get the fucking shot." That would have been awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Then Fauci could have responded, "whenever you and your fellow Rs try responsible leadership for once and tell your people to get the fucking shot." That would have been awesome. 

I would have loved to see that from Fauci, but he's not a Surlyite like you or me. The man absolutely abhors politics. He had many opportunities to become the Director of NIH (an extremely political position to anyone who is aware), but he's been "Nah, I'm good" for years. He has his niche in Public Health and Infectious Disease and he's happy being there. Considering he's been in DC since 1984 and that the only administration that has had an issue with him is Trump's, I think he's done superbly for himself and is the textbook definition of an American patriot.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

You do realize that with a virus that quite literally mutates faster than you pass gas in combination with the heterogeneous public health measures in this country makes your request foolhardy and virtually impossible to be fulfilled. This is exactly why Fauci is not giving an exact number or timeline because he would be disingenuous to guarantee anything.

The only solution is vaccination and the hope is that the evolution of the virus won't be such that these current vaccines won't be rendered ineffective.

Never agree with Gym Jordan on anything. 1st Amendment rights have never been under attack during the pandemic.

Yup. And Fauci knows that if he utters anything specific and that turns out to be incorrect, or not even incorrect, it will be weaponized against him. I can't believe how many times I've read how Fauci lied when he said we shouldn't wear masks, how Fauci was wrong when he said that the virus wasn't a threat to the U.S. etc...     He's realized that it's impossible to have a nuanced discussion with an American public that is beyond irretrievably stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

But he's explained it before...how are you not getting this? He has nothing new to add to the CDC statements?

Because Fauci only vaguely referenced the CDC guidelines and his answer always came down to his view that the current numbers are not safe. He never indicated that there is any place one could go to find guidance on what caseload would be considered safe. 

If he previously gave an answer to the question “What level would be safe?” (as opposed to “Is the current level safe?”), he certainly didn’t make that clear in the videos posted above.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Let's also not act like Gym has not been briefed on the current information. He knows damn well and doesn't need a concrete date from Fauci - and that is exactly what Gym was pushing for. The country is going to have to deal with this for another year likely and this information is also available to the public.

The first paragraphs:

I have zero doubt that Gym's questioning was purely performative candy for his base. It's all the Rs do anymore. 

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you want your answer?  i'll give you your damn answer.

gym's maggats get their liberties back when the r-naught is <1.

and as long as they play stupid maggat games, that's never going to happen.

You mean Rt, not R0

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Because Fauci only vaguely referenced the CDC guidelines and his answer always came down to his view that the current numbers are not safe. He never indicated that there is any place one could go to find guidance on what caseload would be considered safe. 

If he previously gave an answer to the question “What level would be safe?” (as opposed to “Is the current level safe?”), he certainly didn’t make that clear in the videos posted above.

This concept does not exist independently in a vacuum. If the caseload is safe, like it might be in the summer, it can rapidly explode if a new even more infectious variant arises. If the caseload is safe, that does not mean that the nation is out of the woods because winter is coming. That is specifically why he is preaching vaccination because this virus is now endemic to mankind when it was previously not before.

• Like 1

Putting aside the liberty and freedom grandstanding bullshit, Jim is right.  We need objective goals and measures informed by the science and epidemiology.  Shifting the targets early on in the pandemic is at least somewhat understandable.  We had very limited data to inform. We're a year into this, we have vaccines being deployed.  We should be able to articulate our goals in concrete terms. We probably need to couch them in terms like "based on everything we know today, these are the goals...and if the data change, if the variants change, if our understanding changes, we may have to modify...but this is the goal based on the information we have available today...".   

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This concept does not exist independently in a vacuum. If the caseload is safe, like it might be in the summer, it can rapidly explode if a new even more infectious variant arises. If the caseload is safe, that does not mean that the nation is out of the woods because winter is coming. That is specifically why he is preaching vaccination because this virus is now endemic to mankind when it was previously not before.

If only someone had addressed that exact point already in this thread:

So fucking explain that. “I believe we can relax mask recommendations when the vaccination rate is X% and daily infection number is Z, but only if the vaccines are Y% effective against the variants circulating at that time.” The fact that the answer isn’t a single number or is contingent on multiple conditions is not a reason to be hopelessly vague. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Jesus Christ. Some of y’all need to calm down and read before posting. I made it clear from the outset that I do not agree with Jordan’s first amendment crap:

My point is and always has been that his request for some specific guidance from the nation’s most prominent expert on the pandemic as to when we can expect to safely go out in public without a mask is not unreasonable, and that Fauci’s refusal to provide any answer to that question other than “It ain’t safe now!” is unhelpful.

I don't agree.  That hearing was not the place to define policy.  If that policy is already known, and ready for distribution, then perhaps Fauci could have given a very high level summary, but if we aren't there yet, for any reason, then Fauci should have said no more than "we are working on it" (in so many words).

All the other shit Jim Jordan has done that you don’t agree with is completely irrelevant. 

Well, no, it's kind of the point of this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate Gym Jordan.  I think he's a stupid cunt who needs to DIAF.  He and his ilk are a danger to our society and democracy. 

That being said, Fauci said we're administering ~3m vaccines/day.  Would it have been so hard to say that, "if we continue at this rate, we'll have X number of folks vaccinated by Y and then we can start normalcy within Y timeframe"... or something to that effect?

The powers that be are going to have to start showing an exit from this thing or people are just going to start saying "fuck it". 

JMO

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Putting aside the liberty and freedom grandstanding bullshit, Jim is right.  We need objective goals and measures informed by the science and epidemiology.  Shifting the targets early on in the pandemic is at least somewhat understandable.  We had very limited data to inform. We're a year into this, we have vaccines being deployed.  We should be able to articulate our goals in concrete terms. We probably need to couch them in terms like "based on everything we know today, these are the goals...and if the data change, if the variants change, if our understanding changes, we may have to modify...but this is the goal based on the information we have available today...".   

To her credit, later in the hearing, Director Walensky somewhat couched that in the manner to which you refer mentioning that getting vaccines in arms was paramount because they were monitoring variants. Aaron's clip didn't have that, I went to CSPAN and looked at the longer video highlights.

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The powers that be are going to have to start showing an exit from this thing or people are just going to start saying "fuck it". 

JMO

I was at a Lowe's today picking up a few replacement plants and it appeared that a lot of them already are....

However, the HEB which was open (!) had more people in masks than I expected.

21 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This. There are some people who will never get vaccinated. But there are others who are lazy or indecisive or just can’t be bothered. If you tell the public that we are at X% vaccinated and we need to be at X+Y% vaccinated to be able to regain some specified measure or normalcy, it will possibly motivate some of the latter group to get off their asses and get shots. 

But refusing to communicate specific milestones has the exact opposite effect. It allows people to think “What’s the point?” and thus pushes their risk-reward calculus in the wrong direction. It’s just bad public policy and we need to fucking fix it.

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

That was really hard to watch. Both guys were pissing me off. There's no excuse for Fauci refusing to give us concrete thresholds for relaxing restrictions, neither is there any excuse for Gym being such a bitch about muh freedoms. 

Fauci doesn't set the thresholds, and Gym knew this.

Also, even if Fauci provided some numbers, it would not have mattered to Gym one bit - he was going to get his ranting in no matter what.  He has never liked Fauci and he so desperately wants some soundbites that might get back to Daddy Trump.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's just trying to get a soundbite back to Daddy Trump. He acted like the government was trying to weld his doors shut.

It would be great for American society if Gym's doors were welded shut (provided he was on the other side of said doors).

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, even if Fauci provided some numbers, it would not have mattered to Gym one bit - he was going to get his ranting in no matter what.  He has never liked Fauci and he so desperately wants some soundbites that might get back to Daddy Trump.

This will stun most Trumpkins but Fauci has never shut anything down.  If Gym Jordan has questions about lockdowns in Ohio, he needs to ask DeWine about it.  He knows that but he's a drama queen.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Scientists suck at communicating. It's also an issue with climate science and has been for decades. The inability to speak in plain language with concrete numbers undermines the public's trust in the scientific community, particularly when science is the basis for changes to the public's lives. It's a real problem, but one of the issues is that scientists realize they're in a society that has been brainwashed not to trust them for a long time. So instead of being straightforward and honest they now do everything they can to avoid giving any concrete answers.

Scientists talking like politicians is both a result of the stupidity that has taken over this country in the last 40 years and also will be a cause of the continued stupidity for the next 40 years. And we can only hope that it doesn't last longer than that.

Also, science fucking changes as we learn more.  Data changes.  People have problems understanding that.  It's infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This will stun most Trumpkins but Fauci has never shut anything down.  If Gym Jordan has questions about lockdowns in Ohio, he needs to ask DeWine about it.  He knows that but he's a drama queen.

I've pointed out to various relatives who were all "MUH FREEDOMS" that it in all three states they were in, that it was Republican Governors who implemented the "lockdowns" (and that's a very loose term).

They still wanted to blame the librools.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Right.  And we're probably never going to get to that level of vaccination in this country.  But Fauci can't exactly say, "Too many of you idiots listen to people like Jim Jordan and Tucker Carlson instead of to, ya know, every doctor in the country, so Covid will continue to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year forever, and doctors like me will continue to advocate for masks and social distancing and you'll just ignore us and belittle us, so what's the fucking point, except that maybe we get a little Darwinism out of all of this?  There's your concrete answer: a bunch more of you stupid shits are gonna die.  When will it be safe to mingle without masks?  Never.  Because of you."

fucking this.  i'm done with the idiocrats.   freezing to death in my icebound home for 59 hours and melting snow to take a shit has left me with zero fucks left to give.

gym, mtg, gaetz, wheels, patrick, paxton, cruz, FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL

where's the guillotine?

get a rope.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

The first paragraphs:

i interpret "having to deal with it again this winter" as the idiot maggats that refuse to get jabbed, boosted, and mask up all contract and suffer accordingly.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

i need to go back and listen to the video again, but i thought fauci gave the answer: when we have enough people vaccinated - he CAN NOT put a concrete number on that because it gives the maggats an out to not get jabbed after everyone else has been "all in this together for the common good" because the gym tribe must stand in denial for their freedumbs.  after all, they've been UNDER ATTACK!!!!! so it's not their responsibility to get jabbed or mask up.

the moment he puts a target jabbed % and we get to that number, the foxtards will declare the ASSAULT ON THAR FREEDUMBS DONE AND OVAR and the dipshits will NEVER get jabbed.

these are the same people like the bitch from oregon who got herself arrested at the BoA in galveston because IT WAS HER RIGHT TO NOT WEAR A MASK IN A BUSINESS.

FUCK THE IDIOCRATS.  gym is not right.  they need to be waterboarded and then jabbed against their will in fema camps.  they are a clear and present danger to the state of the union.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That being said, Fauci said we're administering ~3m vaccines/day.  Would it have been so hard to say that, "if we continue at this rate, we'll have X number of folks vaccinated by Y and then we can start normalcy within Y timeframe"... or something to that effect?

but we're not going to hit X by Y date because the gyms are hell bent on giving his "is they or isn't they ain't his constituency" anything that allows them to keep the rest of the country and the economy held hostage to those same actual dipshits that are a clear and present danger to the state of the union.

i'm pissed off and i'm not going to take it anymore.

/network dude

This. There are some people who will never get vaccinated. But there are others who are lazy or indecisive or just can’t be bothered. If you tell the public that we are at X% vaccinated and we need to be at X+Y% vaccinated to be able to regain some specified measure or normalcy, it will possibly motivate some of the latter group to get off their asses and get shots. 

But refusing to communicate specific milestones has the exact opposite effect. It allows people to think “What’s the point?” and thus pushes their risk-reward calculus in the wrong direction. It’s just bad public policy and we need to fucking fix it.

first part vehemently agree.

second part we're split.  i believe the opposite.  specific milestones lets the lazy fence-sitters off the hook and guarantees they're joining the freedumbs crowd.

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m not sure I disagree with Jordan on this one. Not his stupid “WE WANT OUR FREEDOM BACK!!!” histrionics. But it would be nice to know the numeric thresholds that would allow certain relaxations. I don’t understand why it’s difficult to provide those and, in fact, I believe releasing guidelines would have a positive social impact by incentivizing vaccine fence-straddlers to get a shot.

This constant refusal to clarify our vaccine and case number goals just feeds the right wing narrative of deep state oppression and an indefinite loss of freedom.

Logically, it makes sense, and I would agree with you, but you’re not factoring the DT moron aspect. They literally think Faucci is a liar and a fraud because they apparently live in a world without dynamic problems. Faucci said masks were not necessary in the first week of March when the US had 15 cases and the droplet transmission mode was not proven yet (WHO report came out March 27th, 2020) nor had any studies on mask been published yet. Once the studies and what have you happened, the CDC changed their guidance, as did Faucci. 

But those chucklefucks still post his words saying he’s stupid and said mask don’t work. So Faucci doesn’t want to say any hard number as the dynamic situation might change again and more mouth breathers will have more ammunition to spread their covid feces on Parler. 

the graphic of the 1-infecting-9 on a chinese bus flashed around the world on 9/10 march a year ago.

and that was after the chinese saying for weeks that it was airborne.

we knew.  the fortune 1000 knew on march 9th when they shut down all business travel across the board within 24 hours.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, no shit. These decisions are being made at the state & local level and not by the feds. It's a good thing that the information is out there on what those are. For those of us who live in Texas, we all already know that everything is fucking wide open with the only restriction being the use of masks by certain municipalities like Austin.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

But let's take a look at the draconian rules put in place by Ohio's Republican governor that have got Gym's gym shorts in a wad:

Capture.jpg

That "read more" link takes you directly to: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home

I followed a trail of links on their site and it lead me to this .pdf: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/responsible/main-guidance-21.pdf

TL/DR on actual restrictions:

• Statewide masks at indoor public spaces.
  • Restrictions on congregating indoors with groups limited to 10 or fewer, and indoor events with fixed seating are at 25 percent capacity and groups of attendees should separate 6 feet from other groups.
  • Restaurants can have no more than 10 people at a table and tables need to be 6 feet apart unless there's a physical barrier between tables.
  • Sporting events: For asymptomatic players, coaches, officials, or other individuals who had close contact (within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes) with an infected person or who had direct physical contact with the person (e.g., coughed on or sneezed on by the infected person) and who remain asymptomatic:
    •  Quarantine may end after day 10 (since exposure) without testing.
    •  Quarantine may end after day seven, if receiving a negative test result. (Test must occur on day five or later.)

That may not be all there is but I didn't find anything else, and I've already wasted too much time refuting his trumper tantrum about restrictions of his FREEDUMBS!!!

Everything else is guidance and couched with a "should" qualifier.

Edited by bolverk

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The people that are going to say "fuck it" already have.  They've been saying that since it started.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Logically, it makes sense, and I would agree with you, but you’re not factoring the DT moron aspect. They literally think Faucci is a liar and a fraud because they apparently live in a world without dynamic problems. Faucci said masks were not necessary in the first week of March when the US had 15 cases and the droplet transmission mode was not proven yet (WHO report came out March 27th, 2020) nor had any studies on mask been published yet. Once the studies and what have you happened, the CDC changed their guidance, as did Faucci. 

But those chucklefucks still post his words saying he’s stupid and said mask don’t work. So Faucci doesn’t want to say any hard number as the dynamic situation might change again and more mouth breathers will have more ammunition to spread their covid feces on Parler. 

Fauci has also admitted he didn't want to tell people to stock up on masks because we were already facing a shortage on masks for health care workers.

But hey, Fauci said something once in March so they don't believe anything he says now.  Trump openly lied about everyone and was wrong about everything else but they still believe whatever he says.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i thought the term was "Ro" like "r-not" or "r-naught"

I was just being pedantic. Shocking I know. R0 is the intrinsic transmission rate in a susceptible population. Rt is the current rate. The Rt is what we are really interested in. And if your threshold is Rt <1 there are many places that is already being observed. Texas is right at 1.0 at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This would be true in a rational society that didn’t have guys like tucker Carlson on Fox News in it. 

The reality of America is far different. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It would be great for American society if Gym's doors were welded shut (provided he was on the other side of said doors).

It's Gym.  You could weld 'em shut with him inside or out.  He'd either die inside or outside, crying on his porch.  Fucking idiot. 

Looking back on this again, he is the PERFECT representative for republican voters.  Scream at the top of your lungs about something you don't understand and then keep screaming over the person when they try to give you an actual answer.  These are not serious human beings.

• Hook 'Em 1