Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

This is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in 40 years of watching Texas football. We apparently rock at it in practice, and in games it looks like Ewers has never thrown a pass beyond 20 yards in his life. I shat on Worthy a ton last year for not adjusting to the ball, but that was not the issue yesterday. 

It was truly bizarre last year and yes, worthy was on point yesterday on every shot to him. 100% Quinn’s fault. That and pass interference but it was a bad ball. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Regardless of our performance Saturday, this is a tough outing for Saban. Our defense can keep us in this game if we can just stay ahead of the chains. I also believe we can alleviate some of our weaknesses with formations. Go empty some Sark. There’s no secondary in the country this WR group cant create separation against. Instead of making Quinn drop or turn his back to the defense, just let that bitch sling it some. You already know interior pressure is going to be there all game, get that ball out quick. Give the Blue the start, he’s not Bijan or Roschon, but hes compatible with non-existent rush lanes. He’s not going to block a soul in pass protection, but why would we run slow developing plays in the first place? Goodness, I’m just yapping, I’m hyped for this game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

if we can just stay ahead of the chains.

Have you just not watched this team in the past 2 1/12th seasons or what?
Per FCB, test on Baxter’s ribs came back negative and the expectation is he will be back at practice this week.

So confirmed broken clavicle and out for most of the year then
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

A lot of overreacting to a week 1 game when coaches and players were probably more than 50% focused on Bama. We went extremely vanilla on both sides of the ball and outgained them 458-176. Forced 3 turnovers which was a huge pain point for the defense last year. O line play and Quinn’s deep ball were concerning but I’m not so sure those two aren’t related. With the heat and looking ahead I’m not shocked we came out flat on offense

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Reasons for negativity:

-Offensive line couldn’t move Rice

-Ewer’s deep ball

-general offensive sloppiness

-Milroe’s running

-Sark’s record in road games

Reasons for optimism:

-The defense

-non-deep ball passing game

-We know this offense can be much better

-We’ll open up the playbook

-Milroe’s passing

• Hook 'Em 5

I'm certainly not a technical guy,  but usually the offense takes longer to get their shit together than the defense.  And finally it looks like we have a defense to keep us in the game.   Long ball or no long ball,  I'll take 15-20 yards every time.  Do that 5 or 6 times and our band will be playing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Assume this defense won't be able to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down against a team with a pulse until proven otherwise.
We'll come out with our hair on fire and it'll be close in the first half. They'll pull away in the second.
I picked 8 wins before the season, didn't see anything yesterday that changed my opinion on that win total.
To say this defense is legit because of what they did against a shit ass Rice offense is a head scratcher. We don't know how good this defense is yet. How well will they do against an offense with talent and good coaching? Bama will definitely put pressure on them that Rice couldn't.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Assume this defense won't be able to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down against a team with a pulse until proven otherwise.
We'll come out with our hair on fire and it'll be close in the first half. They'll pull away in the second.
I picked 8 wins before the season, didn't see anything yesterday that changed my opinion on that win total.

To say this defense is legit because of what they did against a shit ass Rice offense is a head scratcher. We don't know how good this defense is yet. How well will they do against an offense with talent and good coaching? Bama will definitely put pressure on them that Rice couldn't.

They appear to be a little more ill-tempered this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It's legit because of what they did plus what they did last year and who's come back. Add Catalon, Holmes, and Carter and you've got more depth. Add Hill, Williams and Muhammed and you've got crazy frosh cutting it up. That's lot's of legit right there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Regardless of our performance Saturday, this is a tough outing for Saban. Our defense can keep us in this game if we can just stay ahead of the chains. I also believe we can alleviate some of our weaknesses with formations. Go empty some Sark. There’s no secondary in the country this WR group cant create separation against. Instead of making Quinn drop or turn his back to the defense, just let that bitch sling it some. You already know interior pressure is going to be there all game, get that ball out quick. Give the Blue the start, he’s not Bijan or Roschon, but hes compatible with non-existent rush lanes. He’s not going to block a soul in pass protection, but why would we run slow developing plays in the first place? Goodness, I’m just yapping, I’m hyped for this game.
If I were Sark the only thing I'd tell Quinn is this: you know what to do son, and the game isn't on you so don't go out there and try to play hero ball. Just remember how much fun the first quarter of last year's game was and go out and give it to them again.
  • Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
8 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We sure don't know how good they can be this year, but many of the guys playing against that shit ass Rice team held a Bryce Young led Alabama to 20 points just last season.   And 10 of those 20 points were the result of Big 12 ref fuckery.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So confirmed broken clavicle and out for most of the year then
Yep. College coaches keep injury secrets better than the CIA, NSA and all 3 letter agencies combined. It doesn't matter if Baxter is in a full body cast as we speak...Sark is going to force Saban to account for him being out there and full strength on Saturday.

Reasons for negativity:
-Offensive line couldn’t move Rice
-Ewer’s deep ball
-general offensive sloppiness
-Milroe’s running
-Sark’s record in road games
Reasons for optimism:
-The defense
-non-deep ball passing game
-We know this offense can be much better
-We’ll open up the playbook
-Milroe’s passing
Milroe throws a good deep ball, but directional Tennessee (if "middle" is a direction) couldn't pressure the QB and left receivers wide open all day. That won't happen with Mohammed, Catalon, Thompson etc

Article from The Athletic outlining some concerns for Bama coming out of the Middle Tennessee State game.

Areas of improvement

For as productive as the offense was throughout Saturday, pass protection will be an emphasis this week. The offensive line had a few breakdowns that led to pressures affecting a few Milroe throws. Additionally, running backs Roydell Williams and Jamarion Miller each had rough moments in one-on-one matchups that led to sacks in the first half.

Saban said this to SEC Network at halftime:

“I think we need to control the line of scrimmage a little bit better. You know, protection broke down a couple of times. We got people open — we gotta make more explosive plays, but we got to be able to protect.” — Smith

• Hook 'Em 2

Not limited to us or this game but interesting stat to keep an eye on going forward.

Something anyone paying attention already knows, but it is good to see it in the numbers compared to past seasons. Like has already been said, if they really want to shorten games then place strict time limits on penalty reviews. If the refs can't figure it out in 2 mins then the call on the field stands.
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:
Not limited to us or this game but interesting stat to keep an eye on going forward.

Something anyone paying attention already knows, but it is good to see it in the numbers compared to past seasons. Like has already been said, if they really want to shorten games then place strict time limits on penalty reviews. If the refs can't figure it out in 2 mins then the call on the field stands.

I like this idea but the reviews that take the longest are usually when they have to re-spot the ball and/or fix time on the clock.

52 minutes ago, ousux said:

I’ve seen a couple of different stats on this and the full story won’t be known until further along in the season, but 40-60 fewer plays (on average) is BS.

But I agree that commercials will probably minimize any significant decrease in lengths of games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrhorn said:

57e5de24057c9f7a361739d5ab079b73.jpg

I think that's "James Brown" ??

“At our press conference . . . everyone kept asking about what it felt like to be a three-touchdown underdog,” says Brown. “I just said, ‘They might lose by 21 points, you never know.’ I didn’t make a prediction.

“It’s just something that came out, and it got all that publicity. I didn’t back down from it, but it’s not good to come out like that with bulletin board material.

“That isn’t smart football.”

It is a good story, and it embellished the reputation of the quarterback.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1