Let's talk about opposing fan bases in the SEC and the horns down ...

SimkinsMan

I am bothered way more by the way McConnaughey does his Hook 'Em than anything other knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, sister fucking fan bases do.  
The backwards hookem? Earl has been known to do it that way as well, you gonna send him a sternly worded letter? Lol

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I was at UT in the early 80s. It started slowly (either when I was in school or right after) with OU, then Arkisaw. All I remember about about aggy picking it up later is that it seemed weird. 

Funnily enough, the first documented example of the Horns Down comes from Baylor of all places. There was a front page Daily Texan from 1963 showing a Baylor fan doing the Horns Down. It presumably dates back at least 8 more years, but that is the first photographic evidence of the horns down.

7 hours ago, Pasken said:

We should do horns up with one hand and horns down with another. Just claim our own ownership of it. That’ll really annoy them.

Yeah I been saying for a while that we should just do it too. Just do the Horns up, down, sideways, all over the place.  Take the fun out of it for them.

But whatever, they do seem to need it to make them happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ousux said:
14 hours ago, Macanudo said:
I am bothered way more by the way McConnaughey does his Hook 'Em than anything other knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, sister fucking fan bases do.  

The backwards hookem? Earl has been known to do it that way as well, you gonna send him a sternly worded letter? Lol

I would love to see such a letter.

"Dear Mr. Campbell,

You have absolutely no idea how to do the Hook 'Em Horns properly. I am offended by the way you do it.

Signed,

A deeply disturbed Karen/Kevin"

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

I gotta admit I jumped out of chaise when he did that.

God damn that was after the sack, correct?

That was bad ass.

Dude is a freshman and gets the hate already.

McConaughey looks pleased.

CDC not so much.

I love it after the fact because it didn't result in a flag. I was a bit nervous when they showed him running over there. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I actually had a decent conversation with some Bama fans on Saturday about them doing the horns down. They asked me what I thought about it, and here is basically what I said to them "It doesn't make me mad that y'all do it. I just think it's pathetic. Honestly, I think I would be embarrassed by it if I was an Alabama fan. The horns down is a Texas A&M thing, and y'all are basically aligning yourselves with them by doing the horns down. At this point, y'all should hate A&M almost as much as we do, so copying their tradition is embarrassing." The guys I was talking to actually felt like that was a good point; and that was BEFORE we pushed their shit in. If we can keep up the level of dominance we showed on Saturday, I'd honestly be surprised to see so many other fanbases doing it. We know aggy will always do it, but I think fanbases with some sense will realize "we look stupid as shit doing this while they're fucking us up". We'll see. 

Edited by TexasPride10
typo

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I love it after the fact because it didn't result in a flag. I was a bit nervous when they showed him running over there. 

I’m still surprised that there was no flag when you combine how far he ran to do it with the obvious mocking of their idiocy. I’d never really considered it before, but Texas’ owning the Horns down in a “herr, derr, you’re a fucking moron” kind of way is actually kind of genius. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Earl and minister actually do it correctly. Alright alright alright??

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

A double double post? Impressive

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’m still surprised that there was no flag when you combine how far he ran to do it with the obvious mocking of their idiocy. I’d never really considered it before, but Texas’ owning the Horns down in a “herr, derr, you’re a fucking moron” kind of way is actually kind of genius. 

I’m kinda surprised, too, but isn’t the mockery penalty a thing the B12 instituted 8-10 years ago?

Just now, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m kinda surprised, too, but isn’t the mockery penalty a thing the B12 instituted 8-10 years ago?

Who the fuck knows. Usually, if it’s directed at the stands and not a player, there’s more leeway but, as we know, Texas has been called for that before. What I do know is that the entire time I was expecting to hear that a flag had been thrown. Very glad it wasn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I started doing this in 2021. Sark arrival made me think differently. They gonna hate. So take it away from them. If you make another school/team your focus, you’re just giving them props they shouldn’t have. Ergo, only do ou sux that week! They shouldn’t be so elevated in our thinking. Nor should the aggies. Whoever we’re playing each week s/b our nemesis and focus. We are Texas! Hook ‘em! 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Who the fuck knows. Usually, if it’s directed at the stands and not a player, there’s more leeway but, as we know, Texas has been called for that before. What I do know is that the entire time I was expecting to hear that a flag had been thrown. Very glad it wasn’t. 

Before the season in anticipation of this game, didn't the SEC explicitly state that horns-down would not be a penalty?  Shouldn't matter WHO is doing it, them or us, if it's specifically called out as an exception that will not be penalized.

• Like 1

Anyway, my personal thoughts on horns-down is that it's silly and it makes the person doing it, look stupid and weak-minded.

Unless it's Ant Hill.  Then, it just looks awesome.

And I've been known to throw a smiling horns-down back at sooners or ags or whoever's doing it.  It makes them confused and angry, which I find amusing.

• Haha 1

i thinks it more that it is a quick easy thing to do 

im-not-sure-what-to-do-with-my-hands-ric

But yeah, it does not bother me at all and when the Bama fans were throwing the horns down while walking around the quad before the game i commented that we already have them trained prior to joining the conf. 

Bonus points for being able to shake a pom pom and still do horns down.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Before the season in anticipation of this game, didn't the SEC explicitly state that horns-down would not be a penalty?  Shouldn't matter WHO is doing it, them or us, if it's specifically called out as an exception that will not be penalized.

There’s an argument that it shouldn’t matter who does X, but the world is full of examples where it does. I mean, hell, receivers get far more leeway on what they can get away with than defenders do, even though they shouldn’t. A lot of the stuff that happens in the end zone on Hail Marys would be PI on any other play. If they’re not going to call it, ever, cool, but I was still expecting it to be called on Saturday. 

16 hours ago, Macanudo said:

this. a thousand times. Do it the correct way, dammit.

Edited by yoladu

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There’s an argument that it shouldn’t matter who does X, but the world is full of examples where it does. I mean, hell, receivers get far more leeway on what they can get away with than defenders do, even though they shouldn’t. A lot of the stuff that happens in the end zone on Hail Marys would be PI on any other play. If they’re not going to call it, ever, cool, but I was still expecting it to be called on Saturday. 

Well I've always thought that, while I don't personally care if fans of other schools are doing it, when it's performed on the field by a player, toward another player, then the normal taunting rules should apply.

That's what makes the false narrative so stupid, that Texas administrators "whined" to have it made into a penalty.  That never happened.  There's nothing specific about it, it simply should be treated as taunting, same as a throat-slash gesture or standing over a player when you've knocked him down, or any of that other stuff players do to taunt one another.  

Also, I think taunting rules are silly and shouldn't be part of the game.  These are grown-ass young men and they should be able to both dish it out, and take it.  But as long as the silly taunting rules ARE a part of the game, then horns-down should be treated no differently than any other intentional taunt.

• Hook 'Em 3

Things I learned at Alabama Friday and Saturday Night:

1) Traveling as a group of 6 mostly chill, fairly thick skinned dudes keeps the peace and the drive by BS to a minimum.  

2) Attractive women are plentiful in Tuscaloosa on game weekend. 

3) Walking through Fraternity houses is a fun exercise - however,  see #1 above.  

4) If an attractive women does horns down to you,  if you immediately laugh and do it back to them they are shocked,  you become the coolest guy ever,  and you get to hear their life story whether you want to or not. 

5) Lots of Auburn fans hiding in the weeds all weekend.   They all came out of hiding post game. 

6) AL must have a high electricity bill,  because the scoreboard was turned off while we were still in our seats.

7) Post game got very sketchy, very quickly on the streets outside the bars.    90min post game was no place to be walking around in orange. 

3 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

I gotta admit I jumped out of chaise when he did that.

God damn that was after the sack, correct?

That was bad ass.

Dude is a freshman and gets the hate already.

McConaughey looks pleased.

CDC not so much.

It was funny and warranted, but I gottsa admit I was real nervous the Unsportsmanlike flag was about to come flying in.

Edited by wood

41 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Things I learned at Alabama Friday and Saturday Night:

1) Traveling as a group of 6 mostly chill, fairly thick skinned dudes keeps the peace and the drive by BS to a minimum.  

2) Attractive women are plentiful in Tuscaloosa on game weekend. 

3) Walking through Fraternity houses is a fun exercise - however,  see #1 above.  

4) If an attractive women does horns down to you,  if you immediately laugh and do it back to them they are shocked,  you become the coolest guy ever,  and you get to hear their life story whether you want to or not. 

5) Lots of Auburn fans hiding in the weeds all weekend.   They all came out of hiding post game. 

6) AL must have a high electricity bill,  because the scoreboard was turned off while we were still in our seats.

7) Post game got very sketchy, very quickly on the streets outside the bars.    90min post game was no place to be walking around in orange. 

About 30 after the game in Columbus the cops advised us to take off the burnt orange and that there weren’t enough of them there to protect us. And I’m not small.

This was after having full beer cans and water bottles thrown at us from what we were told were frat houses. 

Tuscaloosa sounds like it wins the attractive women battle, so at least there’s that. 

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

About 30 after the game in Columbus the cops advised us to take off the burnt orange and that there weren’t enough of them there to protect us. And I’m not small.

This was after having full beer cans and water bottles thrown at us from what we were told were frat houses. 

Tuscaloosa sounds like it wins the attractive women battle, so at least there’s that. 

Had a good friend enter a Columbus bar in orange. Full beer thrown at his head. Ducked. Beer shatters. image.gif.3ed6ab97c9494b819f63d0f50417b6c2.gif

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Had a good friend enter a Columbus bar in orange. Full beer thrown at his head. Ducked. Beer shatters. image.gif.3ed6ab97c9494b819f63d0f50417b6c2.gif

Sounds about right. The only actual physical confrontation was with a female Ohio State fan who was about five foot zero. She ran up and pushed me as high as she could reach — so lower rib cage — and say “What are you gonna do, huh?” “I’m going to fly back out of this shithole, you’re the one who has to stay here” and kept walking while she tried to sort that out. 

The wife in the couple of friends we met there sprained her ankle trying to walk down the bench seats, so it was a slow retreat, but no bail or insurance was actually needed, though something other to eat than pizza to take to the hotel would’ve been nice. 

9 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I'm shocked (well not that shocked) that @Wally Pryor feels he needs to defend Alabama fans yelling "Go back to the projects you f*ggots" to our players.

It sounded to me like it was one jerk.  At worst it was one guy with minor chiming in from some guy near or next to him.  Every fan base has some jerks.

8 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn't see the Bama players doing it.

4 minutes ago, bullet said:

It sounded to me like it was one jerk.  At worst it was one guy with minor chiming in from some guy near or next to him.  Every fan base has some jerks.

This is fair, I think, but hearing a few “shut the fuck ups” wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

1 minute ago, bullet said:

I didn't see the Bama players doing it.

Not this year. Saban had a little chat with them about it after last year. I wasn’t worried about Alabama doing it, though. I was worried about Texas getting that call against them at a horrible time. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1