Week 3 2023: Wyoming @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

I think the reason they haven’t announced LCL yet is because it’ll be Drake.

He’s in Dallas Friday, Houston Sunday. nothing Saturday.

And he dropped in on the WBB practice today

Drake is in Austin b/c he played Moody tonight and last night.  

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol at Drake even entertaining the thought of LCL, and for the Wyoming game at that. He may be slightly washed but he’s nowhere near the level of fucking Nelly and Pat Green.

Drake will never be "washed". He's one of the biggest artists of all time. He'll sell out arenas until he croaks or decides to quit touring.

Granted I would hope Mirrolure is kidding. You can't have someone that big play LCL - it would be a security nightmare.

I'm not sure we are wasting any game against Arch RS until we are absolutely sure it isn't going to be burned.
Not a waste, and not many chances left to give him some snaps without burning his shirt. I'm sure Arch is ok with burning his shirt if truly needed, but that's a long shot of happening so not worth worrying about.

"Head Freshman (Freshmen?) Coach" is a new one
That tells me most of their recruits come from states/high schools that not only don't play great competition, but also don't do a great job of teaching fundamentals. Either that or it's simply a bullshit title to justify paying him more than the usual Wyoming assistant.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol at Drake even entertaining the thought of LCL, and for the Wyoming game at that. He may be slightly washed but he’s nowhere near the level of fucking Nelly and Pat Green.

On the other hand, if he were to perform at LCL, I could live up to my promise that I wouldn't walk across the street to see Drake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

While tradionally it's a let down game after a big win, don't be surprised if the team doesn't come out firing on all cylinders. There's a leadership in the players now that has been missing for a while, and a sense that losing close games to inferior teams is not "the standard". Don't be surprised by some early ass kicking. Wyoming may score points against our subs late and possibly cover, but winning is contagious, and players want playing time. This game could be all kinds of burnt orange fun.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Watching highlights of Tech's loss to Wyo (lol)

Tech had some vintage 4th and Orlando tackling on big plays.

Asante is a real WR. That dude has speed.

Tech thought sellout blitzes against Peasley was a good idea. It was not. He can run and hit open wideouts under pressure.

Wyo doesn't actually have much special talent. Out-tough them and cover Asante and they don't have much left.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I seriously doubt Arch doesn't enter the draft after his 4th year - if not after his 3rd year. So unless he plans on transferring I'm not really sure why the fuck it matters if we burn his shirt or not. 

I get what you are saying.   

I agree,  it doesn't matter if we burn his shirt or not,  he's not staying more than 4 years.

Although I don't really expect it,  I wouldn't be shocked if he did stay for 4.   

Does a redshirt even matter anymore? If a QB is really good they won't stay past 4 years anyway, and if they aren't that good they'll be recruited or portaled over anyway. I think it could matter more for the marginal player that might want to portal out and play a 5th year at another school. 

Was waiting until today to stop celebrating the Alabama win and look towards the rest of the season. This first quarter against Wyoming will tell us a lot about what kind of team we have. The program of the last 13 years was capable of getting up for big games but would then play down to the level of weaker competition and lose games to teams they should beat. Our great teams like 2005 didn't play down to anyone and had a consistency of excellence no matter who they played. 

This team has the talent to win a NC. They just have to also show they can have the consistency to do it. If they come out flat against Wyoming after that big win it'll signal they might not be quite there yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

This team has the talent to win a NC. They just have to also show they can have the consistency to do it. If they come out flat against Wyoming after that big win it'll signal they might not be quite there yet. 

Eh, it happens. Even to the all time great teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Does a redshirt even matter anymore? If a QB is really good they won't stay past 4 years anyway, and if they aren't that good they'll be recruited or portaled over anyway. I think it could matter more for the marginal player that might want to portal out and play a 5th year at another school. 

Was waiting until today to stop celebrating the Alabama win and look towards the rest of the season. This first quarter against Wyoming will tell us a lot about what kind of team we have. The program of the last 13 years was capable of getting up for big games but would then play down to the level of weaker competition and lose games to teams they should beat. Our great teams like 2005 didn't play down to anyone and had a consistency of excellence no matter who they played. 

2005 played down to A&M and, to some extent, Oklahoma State until halftime. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Tech thought sellout blitzes against Peasley was a good idea. It was not. He can run and hit open wideouts under pressure.

Wyo doesn't actually have much special talent. Out-tough them and cover Asante and they don't have much left.

Watched the highlights as well. 

Like Peasley as a QB - he can play.

Tech should have won this game pretty handily but they didn't score again until the 4th quarter after going up 17-0.

They missed three straight field goals (including one being blocked). Hit any one of those and this game doesn't even go into OT. 

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

2005 played down to A&M and, to some extent, Oklahoma State until halftime. 

Ha, saying the 05 team was playing down to OSU at halftime is an understatement. We were down 16 at half.

2009 team was up 13-10 on Wyoming at halftime in game 2 of the season. Obviously the A&M game that year was fairly close and the close call against Nebraska in the title game.

Anyone who thinks we are just going to roll all season is mistaken. We are gonna have a game where we have to beat Baylor or Iowa State or Houston 31-23 or some such. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

I had the same reaction, Tex.  Wyoming is tiny up front.  They're not going to be able to handle our DL and they're not going to be able to get through our OL without bringing a significant amount of pressure.  Their secondary is similarly small.  Tech had wide-open receivers all night; Shough was boom or bust, though.  Hell, Tech was killing them with simple WR screens, which we know Sark will spam if they're working. 

I don't see how this one's close.  I frankly don't see how Wyoming scores a TD on this defense, absent a big time bust.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ha, saying the 05 team was playing down to OSU at halftime is an understatement. We were down 16 at half.

2009 team was up 13-10 on Wyoming at halftime in game 2 of the season. Obviously the A&M game that year was fairly close and the close call against Nebraska in the title game.

Anyone who thinks we are just going to roll all season is mistaken. We are gonna have a game where we have to beat Baylor or Iowa State or Houston 31-23 or some such. 

Getting up for one game and playing week in and week out to a certain standard of excellence are two entirely different things. The latter is only possible IMO with a player-led team that has a really high level of maturity and focus.

We know for certain this team can play with and beat anybody. What we don't know is if they can do that every week.   

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I had the same reaction, Tex.  Wyoming is tiny up front.  They're not going to be able to handle our DL and they're not going to be able to get through our OL without bringing a significant amount of pressure.  Their secondary is similarly small.  Tech had wide-open receivers all night; Shough was boom or bust, though.  Hell, Tech was killing them with simple WR screens, which we know Sark will spam if they're working. 

I don't see how this one's close.  I frankly don't see how Wyoming scores a TD on this defense, absent a big time bust.

Our defense looking elite gives me a lot of confidence in games like this. They should be able to handle Wyoming without much trouble, so our offense can get a slow start and we could still win big. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Our defense looking elite gives me a lot of confidence in games like this. They should be able to handle Wyoming without much trouble, so our offense can get a slow start and we could still win big. 

Yep.  The biggest takeaway for me against Bama was that we weren't outmatched in size and speed on the field... against Bama.  How many years has it been since that was the case for Texas against elite competition?  2006?

With elite size and speed all over the field, a well-coached, hard-nosed Wyoming team doesn't stand a chance.

Add on to that the fact that we haven't been heavily penalized or been sloppy with the football?  I think it's a slaughter on Saturday.  Even with an emotional "let down."

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Getting up for one game and playing week in and week out to a certain standard of excellence are two entirely different things. The latter is only possible IMO with a player-led team that has a really high level of maturity and focus.

We know for certain this team can play with and beat anybody. What we don't know is if they can do that every week.   

You can have a standard of excellence and good leadership and still have games where weird things happen or you have crap luck and find yourself in battles you probably shouldn't be in. As was mentioned above, Missouri and Kentucky didn't belong on the same planet as Georgia but that's why they play the games.

In a 12 game season you will probably have 3-4 games where you play your 'A' game, 4-5 where you play fairly well with your 'B' game and then another 3-4 where you have to scratch and claw despite not having your best stuff for whatever reason. We have probably already had games that fall in the first and last category this year. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oklahoma State got every possible good thing going their way in the first half of that game. It was about half Texas playing down and about half Oklahoma State playing well and getting bounces. There was never, imo, the “wtf is this bullshit” feeling of the A&M game. It was more like the Washington Generals raining threes to start the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Wyoming starts two caucasians in the secondary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You can have a standard of excellence and good leadership and still have games where weird things happen or you have crap luck and find yourself in battles you probably shouldn't be in. As was mentioned above, Missouri and Kentucky didn't belong on the same planet as Georgia but that's why they play the games.

In a 12 game season you will probably have 3-4 games where you play your 'A' game, 4-5 where you play fairly well with your 'B' game and then another 3-4 where you have to scratch and claw despite not having your best stuff for whatever reason. We have probably already had games that fall in the first and last category this year. 

Those clemson teams with deshaun watson and thor are pretty good examples of having elite talent that can beat anybody but absolutely sleep walking through games. They had no business ever being down to anybody in the acc those 6 years but they found themselves in dog fights every so often. It happens, this team already gives off those we will fight through that shit and overcome it vibes. In short I agree with your post lol. 

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I see WY trying page from last year’s Texas game vs Tech. 

Go for it nearly every 4th down, trick plays, on sides kicks, fake punts etc

Texas needs to prepare themselves for just lots of stupid shit/craziness. 

Thinks Texas still wins handily but see it being a weird game. 

The issue is that Tech did that by creating 3rd and manageable and running the ball to convert the 3rd/4th down.  Outside of the first quarter or so of the Bama game, those yards just aren't there this year.  So, first down, you run the ball and you gain one.  It's 2nd and 9, so you try to pass but it's incomplete.  Third down, do you try to run to set up 4th and 2 or 3?  You need 6 or 7 yards on a run to do that.  And I just don't see that from Wyoming's offense against this D.

Also, we can pressure Peasley by bringing 3 or 4 and spy him with Hill who can run him down in an instant if/when he wants to pull the football down and run.  It's a game-changer.

• Like 1

I think people here are underestimating Wyoming's D-line.  They are good.  Comparing them to Bama though is not useful because they are active fireplug types.  Wyoming's path to keeping the score close is the Iowa State formula.  Keep the white safeties deep and stop the run with an honest front and good LB play (which they have).  They will blitz more times than not on 2nd/3rd and long yardage to try to hit Quinn and make him rush his throws.  Winning comfortably comes down to him hitting his intermediate throws.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I wouldn't count rivalry games the same when it comes to "playing down to competition". We beat atm by 11 on the road in '05 and VY wasn't great. Crappy atm team or not that's a good W.

OU's '17 team - their best team since '08 -  a team that should have played for a national title - dicked around for 4 quarters in the Cotton Bowl with a 5-7 Texas team that got Chuck canned. Similarly, our '09 team needed a Bradford injury to edge past an OU team that came in 3-2.

Weird shit happens in rivalry games and in night games on the road. Weird shit should absolutely not happen at home at night against Wyoming. We should fucking kill this team and I expect that we're going to. It's going to be a sellout, electric crowd that's going to be drinking all day still celebrating the Bama win cheering a Texas team that I expect to be more confident and loose than disinterested. I wouldn't be surprised if we put multiple defensive or s/t scores on the board. This is the type of game that Wyoming goes into thinking they have a shot but knowing that they're fucked as soon as they step out on the field for warm-ups. 

They have a nice little football team and pulled the rug out from underneath Tech but they are gonna be some slaves walking into the Coliseum this weekend. We've got some lions and tigers and gladiators that got a taste of blood last week and they're gonna be ready to bring the fucking wood again. Just look at how Ewers and Sark and the team in general handled the interviews and post-game at Bama. 

Really the only way I think they muddy this up is if we get bad Ewers. But how fucking hard is Quinn's job going to be on Saturday? Throw a couple screens, throw a few slants, take a couple deep shots... he should be able to go through the motions and hang 30 or 35 on the board.

• Hook 'Em 3

Some stat comparisons with Wyoming from IT. Of course, the 2-game sample caveat applies.

Texas overall SP+ ranking: No. 10
WYOMING overall SP+ ranking: No. 87

Texas defensive SP+ ranking: No. 10
WYOMING defensive SP+ ranking: No. 58

Texas offensive SP+ ranking: No. 13
WYOMING offensive SP+ ranking: No. 101

Texas special teams SP+ ranking: No. 46
WYOMING special teams SP+ ranking: No. 14

Texas ESPN FPI ranking: No. 6
WYOMING ESPN FPI ranking: No. 84

Texas strength of schedule ranking, per ESPN: No. 4
WYOMING strength of schedule ranking, per ESPN: No. 75

Texas total offense: No. 37 – 456.0 ypg
WYOMING total offense: No. 95 – 345.5 ypg

Texas total defense: No. 28 – 269.0 ypg
WYOMING total defense: No. 95 – 387.5 ypg

Texas yards per play: 6.1 ypp
WYOMING yards per play: 5.2 ypp

Texas yards per play allowed: 4.8 ypp
WYOMING yards per play allowed: 4.9 ypp

Texas rushing offense: No. 89 – 131.5 ypg
WYOMING rushing offense: No. 59 – 170.5 ypg

Texas rushing defense: No. 15 – 67.0 ypg
WYOMING rushing defense: T-37 – 91.5 ypg

Texas passing offense: No. 13 – 324.5 ypg
WYOMING passing offense: No. 108 – 175.0 ypg

Texas passing yards allowed: No. 61 – 202.0 ypg
WYOMING passing yards allowed: T-113 – 296.0 ypg

Texas 3rd down conversion percentage: T-77 – 39 percent
WYOMING 3rd down conversion percentage: T-64 – 44 percent

Texas 3rd down conversion percentage defense: T-44 – 33 percent
WYOMING 3rd down conversion percentage defense: No. 115 – 49 percent

Texas 4th down conversion percentage: T-59 – 50 percent
WYOMING 4th down conversion percentage: T-1 – 100 percent

Texas 4th down conversion percentage defense: T-97 – 67 percent
WYOMING 4th down conversion percentage defense: T-113 – 75 percent

Texas turnover margin: (+5)
WYOMING turnover margin: (-1) 

Texas scoring offense: T-42 – 35.5 ppg
WYOMING scoring offense: T-54 – 33.0 ppg

Texas scoring defense: T-43 – 17.0 ppg
WYOMING scoring defense: T-78 – 25.0 ppg

Texas time of possession: No. 38 – 32:03
WYOMING time of possession: No. 53 – 30:52

Texas net punting: T-3 – 49.0 ypp
WYOMING net punting: No. 51 – 40.88 ypp

Texas punt return average: T-11 – 21.0 ypr
WYOMING punt return average: No. 104 – 0.33 ypr

Texas red zone offense: T-48 – 89 percent
WYOMING red zone offense: T-1 – 100 percent

Texas red zone defense: T-93 – 100 percent
WYOMING red zone defense: T-73 – 86 percent

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

2009 team also had the worse offensive line ever seen for a top 25 team, much less a title contending one. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

The issue is that Tech did that by creating 3rd and manageable and running the ball to convert the 3rd/4th down.  Outside of the first quarter or so of the Bama game, those yards just aren't there this year.  So, first down, you run the ball and you gain one.  It's 2nd and 9, so you try to pass but it's incomplete.  Third down, do you try to run to set up 4th and 2 or 3?  You need 6 or 7 yards on a run to do that.  And I just don't see that from Wyoming's offense against this D.

Also, we can pressure Peasley by bringing 3 or 4 and spy him with Hill who can run him down in an instant if/when he wants to pull the football down and run.  It's a game-changer.

Down and distance will absolutely matter of course, I just feel that WY will do lots of unconventional shit to try and somehow balance out talent differential. 

Not saying it’ll work and lots depends on health of their QB. I just seeing this being weird game. 

21 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I’m sorry, I like Kansas as much as anyone, but this is a stretch for Illinois.

I guess we'll find out this year, but last year they went 8-5 and beat WI, MN, IA, NE. They only lost by 2 to #3 MI in Ann Arbor and slaughtered NW and WYOMING. I don't know how that's not a legitimate P5 program. If they're not legit then about 30 other P5 programs aren't legit.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think Sark has a difficult task at hand in making sure this group of players stays focused and doesn't spend all week sniffing their own farts. IMO, this game is going to tell us something about this team's maturity and focus. 

He mentioned this in his presser. He said he's spent the last 2.5 years trying to boost his players confidence in themselves and each other so he's not about to try and deflate that after the Alabama win. At the same time, he's pushing them to be intentional and professional about their approach - to continually self-evaluate and get better. It's a tightrope for an 18-20 year old... 

Yep.  The biggest takeaway for me against Bama was that we weren't outmatched in size and speed on the field... against Bama.  How many years has it been since that was the case for Texas against elite competition?  2006?
With elite size and speed all over the field, a well-coached, hard-nosed Wyoming team doesn't stand a chance.
Add on to that the fact that we haven't been heavily penalized or been sloppy with the football?  I think it's a slaughter on Saturday.  Even with an emotional "let down."
The most impressive stat last Saturday (to me) wasnt Quinns passing stats or our D limiting Bama on the ground. The most impressive thing was ZERO false starts by the O-line. This was on the road in a very loud, raucous environment. Hell, in seasons past we were good for at least 2 at home.

Having said that, I expect Rig12 refs to be looking for even the slightest twitch to call on us, the O-line probably won't be perfect in that area again.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1