We might be headed to the SEC but we can never embrace the SEC

Thatguy

11 hours ago, Waterboarder said:

I didn't really have that bad an experience, although I certainly agree a lot of the treatment felt like a magnanimous gesture instead of sincerity.  

I attended the game with my 14yo daughter, and walked 1.5 miles to the stadium and back.  There was a lot of "GONNA BE A LONG NIGHT" and horns down, but I never felt any danger.  I had a lot of people congratulate us and said they hoped we kept it going and won the Big XII.  Hell, I talked about the game all the way back to the hotel with one guy. 

This was my experience as well. There were a few college age or younger kids that were a bit more in your face, but nothing too out of control. Sad to see some others, including players and their families, experienced worse. 

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

No Knox isn't the south like Oxford, Gainesville, Starkville, College Station, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Athens, Aburn, and Columbia as I said.

I will give you Lexington and the other Colombia....and Arkansas venues.

I've been to all of those and Knox is up there with any of them. I would actually say Athens, Gainesville and College Station at minimum are less southern. 

10 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Why would we embrace the SEC?

We don’t embrace the BigXii, do we?

as fans, I feel as though we are (aside from our mutual hatred pact with OU) pretty independent from everyone else and always have been. However, I was in HS when the SWC broke up, so I don’t remember that part. @Armybrat care to comment?

Yeah, fuck SMU, fuck Cougar High, and fuck aggy for tearing the SWC apart with their rampant cheating that brought the Death Penalty, and multiple sanctions & bowl bans in the 1980s & early 1990s.

• Hook 'Em 7

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, fuck SMU, fuck Cougar High, and fuck aggy for tearing the SWC apart with their rampant cheating that brought the Death Penalty, and multiple sanctions & bowl bans in the 1980s & early 

Good thing your grandkids graduated before Texas had to deal with that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bullet said:

They don't think of Mizzou, Pig or aggy as brothers, no matter how much aggy yells SEC-SEC-SEC.   OU and us will also be outsiders for a long time.

I would bet real money this is true and unfortunately it will mean we have more in common with OU which is bullshit. we have nothing in common with those mouthbreather fat fucks. If I see even one of you get friendly with OU because of this I will punch you in the throat zeus camo don't see me coming style.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not many on this site know that I was asked for my input into our contract with the SEC. Even fewer have probably read the fine print, so let me summarize it:

Any Texas fan found with an SEC sticker on their vehicle will have sugar poured in their gas tank and their first born child will have to attend aggy.

Any Texas fan promoting Waffle House will be banned from DKR and their first born will have to go to aggy AND upon graduation work at the Waffle House in Vidor.

Is there even a wafflehouse in Austin? We have better eating options than that shithole.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yes. And correct.

Whataburger and/or Jim’s for this Longhorn.

I used to hit up players after football games and the magnolia cafe if I wanted pancakes. Shame players isn't there anymore. Or burger tex for that matter. Whataburger is cool, but Austin used to have way better hamburgers around campus.

Also, Colt McCoy might call me bougie but I prefer Texas Dairy Queen to Whataburger these days.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, fuck SMU, fuck Cougar High, and fuck aggy for tearing the SWC apart with their rampant cheating that brought the Death Penalty, and multiple sanctions & bowl bans in the 1980s & early 1990s.

Or maybe . . . and stay with me here for a minute . . . we should say "fuck the NCAA" for selectively enforcing its rules--rules that we now know constitute a per-se violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not many on this site know that I was asked for my input into our contract with the SEC. Even fewer have probably read the fine print, so let me summarize it:

Any Texas fan found with an SEC sticker on their vehicle will have sugar poured in their gas tank and their first born child will have to attend aggy.

Any Texas fan promoting Waffle House will be banned from DKR and their first born will have to go to aggy AND upon graduation work at the Waffle House in Vidor.

Who the fuck adorns their car with an SEC sticker?

Who chooses to go to Waffle House over Whataburger?

It’s just a matter of time before we are running the conference and all these fuckhead bumpkins know it. 

Edited by Porterhouse

14 hours ago, fellside said:

Funniest interaction I saw was some scantly clad drunk sorority girl throwing the horns down and shouting towards an old, 80-something Texas couple followed by her friend saying, "Abby, you HAVE to stop."

Later on, some Texas frat boy was making headway with Abby, when her friend appears out of nowhere... "ABBY NO! NO ABBY! I'M TAKING YOU HOME!" 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I used to hit up players after football games and the magnolia cafe if I wanted pancakes. Shame players isn't there anymore. Or burger tex for that matter. Whataburger is cool, but Austin used to have way better hamburgers around campus.

Also, Colt McCoy might call me bougie but I prefer Texas Dairy Queen to Whataburger these days.

IMG_1459.gif

No, I’m truly dumbfounded, particularly on the sticker thing. 

Aggy. Lots of aggy. And some LSU. This is based on what I have seen living in Houston.

But it’s mostly aggy and there absolutely pathetic attempt and desire to fit in with the SEC. They tried to get a Waffle House in college station. I have seen way too many SEC stickers on aggy vehicles.

The real truth is the SEC awoke a sleeping giant by letting UT into their conference. Yes we’ve fucked around and found out with bad coaching hires. Yes, we’ve muddled about in mediocrity and have vastly underachieved. No longer. We aren’t treading water in the Big12 playing mostly to the level of our competition.

We’ll be hated bc we are the biggest brand (most profitable) in the country. But finally we have  thanks to many hardworking posters on this site a vastly improved recruiting pipeline. I’ve listened a bit to Finebaum’s show since it was announced we’d be going with OU to the SEC…sure there’s a lot of backwoods shitty awful people. I see this as an opportunity to crush a lot of the backwards thinking. They’ll hate us. Good. The only way to be better would be to attempt to emulate us and perhaps that backwards thinking…

it’s not as if there aren’t far worse people hiding behind faux niceties and such up north or out west. Those are more insidious types bc they’ll vote a certain way, support certain causes and smile and shake your hand but in their heads they are no better than the guy down south with a Dixie flag. Those types just hide it better. Also I refuse to lump any group of fans into any one way of thinking. I’ve met plenty of people from all over and everyone’s different. Sure label the mob as a whole of group think but I’m not going to put a label on all fans of a certain school as being a certain way because that’s bullshit. I certainly don’t identify with the manbunned, overly tattooed coffeehouse philosophy major misanthropes soon to join a cult in the desert types walking around our campus like rebels without a clue. That doesn’t encapsulate me as a UT fan. 

I will never chant SEC. I never chanted SWC. Or Big 12. I would root for teams in our conference outside OU to win bowl games bc it helped our conference get more tv money and acclaim if the conference were viewed as better. Especially since the Big12 was always getting dogged by the sports media.

I’m happy to go to a conference where I don’t care about any other team but Texas. Hopefully, the sleeping giant the SEC awoke will stay that way and not nod off and drive off the road into a ditch. Hopefully we aren’t just back—-we are better than back and we will be a consistent force to be reckoned with from here on out. I want to be dominant not for pockets of a few years and then wander off into the desert for a decade or more. 

Thanks for the invite. They’ll regret it. 😃 I will never buy SEC anything nor will I chant it. That’s lame af. It’s Texas and the rest of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A step up from Jasper?

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I looked at Secrant this morning and had a few laughs.
Those rubes seem to have a high opinion of themselves.

It's pure lowest common denominator. They have no shame. They will invent hills to die on if necessary and imagine a hill if they can't create one.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Aggy. Lots of aggy. And some LSU. This is based on what I have seen living in Houston.

But it’s mostly aggy and there absolutely pathetic attempt and desire to fit in with the SEC. They tried to get a Waffle House in college station. I have seen way too many SEC stickers on aggy vehicles.

I haven’t seen one in Dallas. But I’m not really looking and I subconsciously tune out Aggie.

57 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Double post. Here’s Kate. image.thumb.jpeg.33f34996cb9aac0112e14c81f1f4ec62.jpeg

Edited by Porterhouse

Clay - a Tennessee homer - usually helps prop up the sec. 
He says they aren’t very good this year, and he thinks NIL is spreading talent around. 

Above board payments are keeping the players from the SEC, so how were they getting all that talent before it was allowed?

Edited by Zeus

I think it's cool when you get to play a bunch of teams you have long histories against.

The Big 12 was nice in that way because a lot of them were old members of the SWC.

I never felt any real sense of loyalty to the Big 12. I rooted for Big 12 teams if it was in our interest.

I don't really care about the SEC one way or another.

I'll miss playing some of the old teams, but I'm glad we still have OU and will be playing A&M again.

Other than that it's just a business decision. We'll be playing some good teams every year.

Right now I'm just thinking about how nice it would for our first and last years in the Big 12 to be championships. 🤘

Bulls Horns Up GIF by USF Athletics

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

My grandparents had an SWC beer mug with all the schools logos on it. That mug is my Rosebud

SWC was a little different back in the day, especially after Arky left it was just a Texas league and for a while one that was able to hang. there was plenty to be proud of in the SWC. the Big 12 was a marriage of convenience but it was a lot less to be proud about. The SEC though? Yeah fuck that crap. There is nothing about Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina that makes me say, yeah I'm proud to be in that group. NOTHING.

• Hook 'Em 1