Texas vs OU 11 am or 2:30 pm?

Creasy Bear

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

To be fair, it's not that good of a joke. If time ran on a 100-minute hour then it would be pretty good. But as it is, it's kinda hard to understand.

I didn’t say it was a good joke, just that it wasn’t hard to figure out. But maybe I’m the kind of Longhorn fan dork that got the 49-0 reference right away.

Just now, Drifterwood said:

Not enough room in the jails for a 7PM kick

I have the same view of the 7:00 P.M. kick as King Jaffe Joffer had of tying shoes: it is an overrated experience.

Bottom line, if you need an enhancement for the TX-OU game to make it more exciting, you're fucking doing it wrong.

38 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I'm 46 and I stay out all night drinking and still find a way to get to the hotel bar by 630am at the latest.

But to be fair, now that I am a sophisticate, I am no longer drinking beer by the pitcher at Across the Street Bar on Friday night. So that does help with the recovery in the morning.

Was it you who told the "Just give me my fucking corn dogs, man" story? That was hilarious.

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yes, also a fan of the 11am kickoff. Get in, get your beers and Fletchers. Get in the stadium, commence to yelling OU Sucks and making fun of the stupid turquoise Oklahoma state flag. 

The game being on ABC has no bearing on the time this year. It might next year with the dedicated SEC game of the week spot or they may keep it at 11am since it can compete against the Big Noon game. Michigan/Ohio State is always 11am, regardless of network. National/regional time slots went out the window a long time ago.

It looks like a damn blue tarp. Pretty cheap at Walmart and HD.

It’s going to be an 11am kick.

IMG_0078.jpeg

Edited by The Triple Lindy

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ballrific said:

dont remember last time we drove up morning of an 11am game.  Anyone do that from Austin recently?  I'm assuming a ~ 6am departure time is needed.

4:30 with vodka and a good, spicy Bloody Mary mix on ice and a stop in West, imo. Leaves some time for corny dogs and waxy beer. 

23 minutes ago, ballrific said:

dont remember last time we drove up morning of an 11am game.  Anyone do that from Austin recently?  I'm assuming a ~ 6am departure time is needed.

Done it a few times and may be doing it again this year solo.  It's not horrible.  Better than Friday night, IMO.  

Only thing making me flip-flop is would be fun to get there in time for Gameday at 8:00a.  Which means a 4:30a departure.  Which means I gotta knock myself out at 9:30p the night before with a Tylenol PM and meditation.  I'll be good to go all day Saturday, but that first hour in the dark from Austin to Belton would be groggy as fuck.  

18 minutes ago, Constant said:

ESPN Gameday will be there for certain. I’m already getting emails to work it. 

I don't know this man but I like where his head is at!  I was gonna head up Saturday at ass-crack of dawn.  But I want to soak in some Gameday (Insert Corso joke here).  Leaving Friday midday after all.  

Maybe for another thread, but it'll get lost in the shuffle after we curb-stomp Kansas.  If I'm coming in from Fort Worth early Saturday morning.  What a good DART station west of Fair Park where I can safely park and then ride in on last few miles?  Long story, I'm driving my SiL (no pics) car and want to leave it somewhere safe, rolling solo.  Thanks 

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't know this man but I like where his head is at!  I was gonna head up Saturday at ass-crack of dawn.  But I want to soak in some Gameday (Insert Corso joke here).  Leaving Friday midday after all.  

Maybe for another thread, but it'll get lost in the shuffle after we curb-stomp Kansas.  If I'm coming in from Fort Worth early Saturday morning.  What a good DART station west of Fair Park where I can safely park and then ride in on last few miles?  Long story, I'm driving my SiL (no pics) car and want to leave it somewhere safe, rolling solo.  Thanks 

Orange line in from Las Colinas. Plenty of parking. 

I gotta leave during the game to make it back to Kalahari in Round Rock to pick up the kids.  So I was thinking somewhere more accessible to IH-35E.  I'll be contra flow so shouldn't be too bad.  Was thinking Green Line between West End/Akard/Saint Paul/Pearl.  Jump on for last few stops to Fair Park and back again before halftime.  But looking for input on which station has the most secure parking for a decent price.  Goofy agenda this year, I know.  

33 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Came here to post this

could be the best RRS weather, ever?

I might have been at one of the worst RRS weather game ever.  1984.  Rained, heavy at times, much of the game and ended in 15-15 tie with Texas making FG as time ran out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, freyguy said:

How many bloody mary's will I be able to down before I'm forced to use the stadium's shitter?

Five.  And just leave the stadium and go to the bathrooms in the Fair.  Tower Building restrooms are fine during the game, except at halftime.

• Like 1

To be fair to the Fair.  That 84* is daytime high, probably between 2-4pm.  So yeah, kickoff should be in the low 70's getting into low-to-mid 80's by end of the Texas beatdown of Oklahoma, 37-17.

Our first game without heat stroke warnings, could be fun.  Almost like Football could be played in the actual Autumn.  

Just now, YGIFS said:

To be fair to the Fair.  That 84* is daytime high, probably between 2-4pm.  So yeah, kickoff should be in the low 70's getting into low-to-mid 80's by end of the Texas beatdown of Oklahoma, 37-17.

Our first game without heat stroke warnings, could be fun.  Almost like Football could be played in the actual Autumn.  

Eh, you've lived in Texas long enough to know that 95-100 is football weather in Texas.  This isn't Chicago or the Midwest.  The leaves just burn up, turn brown, and fall off the trees here.

HOWEVER, a game that kicks off near 70 and ends in the mid 80s, will feel delightful, and I will thank the football gods both old and new, if that happens.

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

The overnight low is forecast to be 65° Friday night. If that holds, it’ll be warmer than 70° at kick but, yes, much more enjoyable than even this Saturday. Bonus is that, so far, nothing about the wind being a factor. 

Oh don't get me wrong.  If that forecast even holds remotely true, I'll be thankful to quite thankful.  Might even be nicer than that for the game in Houston later in October.  Of course, it'll be uncomfortably hot when our seats collapse and all the other fans fall on top of me.  But otherwise, October could be nice in Texas for once...

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Some of you thinking it has always been hot clearly were not there in 2000.

Fucking Quentin Griffin just scored again....

I took about three steps from my car after parking it and it started to sprinkle. I went back to get a sweatshirt. I should’ve just gotten the fuck back in and gone home. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Some of you thinking it has always been hot clearly were not there in 2000.

Fucking Quentin Griffin just scored again....

Was that the downpour year?  Those heartbreakers/soul-crushers from 2000-2004 were all a blur and each was also its own weather shitshow.  One was a monsoon, one was pretty damn cold, two were really fucking hot, and I don't remember the other one because I woke up in the backseat of a display car at the auto show.

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

I might have been at one of the worst RRS weather game ever.  1984.  Rained, heavy at times, much of the game and ended in 15-15 tie with Texas making FG as time ran out.  

I did that but our tickets were on the OU side. 

At least the rain helped wash away all the beer accidentally thrown at us. 🤘

As I recall, 2000 was both cold and rainy.  I bailed in the 4th quarter to go hang in the car show whilst drinking about 13 more wax cup beers.  Walked past some open terminals in some computer expo, that had internet capability, and went directly to the Inside Texas message board to bitch about the game and demand that Mack Brown be fired (probably).

The next Debacle in Dallas, I didn't even bother bailing.  Almost all the Texas fans were gone including my entire group, but I looked up about 12 rows from where I was sitting and saw Robert Brewer sitting there with one of my friends, we were the last 3 people across almost two entire Cotton Bowl sections.  So I sat through the entire second half chatting with my bud and Robert Brewer, not even surprised at the shitshow on the field.  It was actually quite a pleasant afternoon once you got past the 65-13 final score.

I hated 11 AM TX-OU games as a student and very young graduate, because I was staying out all night the night before.  Nowadays on Friday night, I go out to dinner at my usual place in Dallas, but am back sipping beers at the RV lot by 8 or 9, go to bed by 10 or 11, and waking up at 6 refreshed and ready for my first 37 wax cup beers of the day.

0a9839f6af22beb328e6cf61819b1da6.jpg

Nobody cares how early you wake up in the morning.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

I did that but our tickets were on the OU side. 

At least the rain helped wash away all the beer accidentally thrown at us. 🤘

Went to about 4-5 RRS games and that game had the most enraged OU fans after the game, even more than when Texas thumped them the year before.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

That 2000 game was a massive kick in the nuts. Watching Quentin Griffin run that sprint draw play over and over again while Bull Reese sat there holding his dick. Then 2001-2004 were just a very dark time when Stoops had Mack's number, and Mack was scared shitless.

You are talking about my undergrad years and my first TX/OU game was 2000. I think because of those beat downs in my formative fandom years, I have a little trauma I carry with me and am always anxious until the clock hits 0:00 (2021 didn't help that anxiety). But last year I finally got to actually enjoy the game and have fun instead of being so torn up and twisted up for 60 minutes about it.