Rank the QBs Since Colt

Here's a list of UT quarterbacks since Colt (13 years), in chronological order. How would you rank them from top to bottom... or maybe to keep things simpler, who are your top five in order?

Garrett Gilbert (7-7)
Case McCoy (9-7)
David Ash (15-7)
Tyrone Swoopes (6-8)
Jerrod Heard (4-6)
Shane Buechele (10-9)
Sam Ehlinger (27-16)
Hudson Card (3-3)
Casey Thompson (4-6)
Quinn Ewers (9-3)

Hard to do given the surrounding cast/coaching, but I'd say...

Ewers
Ash
Ehlinger
Buechele
Case

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Here's a list of UT quarterbacks since Colt (13 years), in chronological order. How would you rank them from top to bottom... or maybe to keep things simpler, who are your top five in order?

Garrett Gilbert (7-7)
Case McCoy (9-7)
David Ash (15-7)
Tyrone Swoopes (6-8)
Jerrod Heard (4-6)
Shane Buechele (10-9)
Sam Ehlinger (27-16)
Hudson Card (3-3)
Casey Thompson (4-6)
Quinn Ewers (9-3)

1. Ewers / Malik
  3. Sam
  4. Case
  5. Heard
  6. Ash
  7. Card
  8. Swoopes
  9. Thompson
  10. Gilbert
  11. Shane

Edited by chainsaw

9 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Fuck it, let's turn this topic into a celebration of the few happy moments in the last decade that these QBs brought.

Are we really considering that final drive against Cal happy? One of the weirdest and most shocking losses in team history.

But then it became clear that finding weird and shocking and unusual ways to lose was what Chuck's teams specialized in. 

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Imagine rating a guy who has never taken the field in the 1st qtr number 1.........peak Surly!! 

giphy.gif

well, when you consider the rest of the list...

but seriously, of those guys, sam is the only one to play at a consistently high level for any period lasting longer than a week.  sam played at a fabulously high level in 2018 from the usc game through the tech game.  he wasn't bad for the rest of the season but he didn't play at a level of excellence like he did against usc, tcu, ou, west virginia, and tech.  probably peaked against tech.  played well against georgia at the end of the season as well.  the rest of his career was pretty meh.  everyone loves sam because he's lovable.  i couldn't stand watching him attempt to throw...but his mid-2018 season has been the only more than a week at a time high level of qb play since colt got hurt against bama.

buchele threw one hell of a pretty deep ball early in his career but had the worst coaching ever.

case will always have the beatdown at ucla and the win against the agros.  but he was terrible.

gilbert should have been great.  he wasn't. 

casey and heard flashed in random games but ultimately weren't great.  i had irrational high hopes for heard.  ash, swoopes, and whoever else don't merit consideration.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Are we really considering that final drive against Cal happy? One of the weirdest and most shocking losses in team history.

solely the QB play, yeah. Heard was the best thing about that game. I'll always love watching him navigate the final drive. Wasn't his fault the kicker missed the PAT. That was simply some Charlie Juju.

3 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

solely the QB play, yeah. Heard was the best thing about that game. I'll always love watching him navigate the final drive. Wasn't his fault the kicker missed the PAT. That was simply some Charlie Juju.

I was there. I remember that game and yeah I came away thinking we had our QB and was looking forward to the future.

But I wouldn't call it a happy memory.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I was there. I remember that game and yeah I came away thinking we had our QB and was looking forward to the future.

But I wouldn't call it a happy memory.

I was there too, and it was definitely a happy memory for me. It was just about the only time until Sam showed up that I felt confident about out QB. Too bad his head coach was Charlie fucking Strong.

8 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I was there too, and it was definitely a happy memory for me. It was just about the only time until Sam showed up that I felt confident about out QB. Too bad his head coach was Charlie fucking Strong.

I think it had more to do with the fact that Cal's defense was hot garbage. The guy was a terrible quarterback, as it turned out.

When Iowa State shuts you down completely because they know how you are limited as a player, you probably aren't good. Granted a better coach could have done more with Heard's strengths and not allowed his weaknesses to be exploited but...I mean a good QB with a shitty coach would still be able to get something going against Iowa State. I have rarely seen a Texas team so thoroughly dominated by a defense as that night in Ames, Iowa.

So to me it goes down as another false dawn. We saw something that just wasn't there.

And I have to give kudos to the people on the former board at the time. There was a lot of people correctly diagnosed that Heard's performance said more about Cal than it did about him. I didn't believe them and thought they were being ridiculous. Nobody could look that great against a division I P5 football team and not be a future star.

But boy, did those posters call it. I was completely wrong. 

Edited by Valmy77

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

well, when you consider the rest of the list...

but seriously, of those guys, sam is the only one to play at a consistently high level for any period lasting longer than a week.  sam played at a fabulously high level in 2018 from the usc game through the tech game.  he wasn't bad for the rest of the season but he didn't play at a level of excellence like he did against usc, tcu, ou, west virginia, and tech.  probably peaked against tech.  played well against georgia at the end of the season as well.  the rest of his career was pretty meh.  everyone loves sam because he's lovable.  i couldn't stand watching him attempt to throw...but his mid-2018 season has been the only more than a week at a time high level of qb play since colt got hurt against bama.

buchele threw one hell of a pretty deep ball early in his career but had the worst coaching ever.

case will always have the beatdown at ucla and the win against the agros.  but he was terrible.

gilbert should have been great.  he wasn't. 

casey and heard flashed in random games but ultimately weren't great.  i had irrational high hopes for heard.  ash, swoopes, and whoever else don't merit consideration.

I loved Sam. He did a lot with a little. Undersized. Marginal arm strength. He left it all on the field. I loved that guy. I also had irrational hopes for Heard. Everyone else I recognized pretty quickly as trash.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I loved Sam. He did a lot with a little. Undersized. Marginal arm strength. He left it all on the field. I loved that guy. I also had irrational hopes for Heard. Everyone else I recognized pretty quickly as trash.

Undersized? Dude was a battering ram.

But maybe you just mean short. He is only about 6 feet tall I think.

That ridiculous comeback against Tech in his senior year was hilarious. Dude single handedly won a game where the rest of the team was hot garbage. Never should have happened. 

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

It's weird that Brown has a Big 12 title and Sam doesn't. 

keontay ingram, kyle porter, and chris warren vs. ricky williams, priest holmes, and shon mitchell.

plus, the 2018 and 2019 defenses were brutal at times.

plus, the refs royally fucked us in the 2018 big 12 champ game when ou's defensive backs suddenly became exempt from pass interference and defensive holding rules.

I can’t believe I’m participating in this off-season bait thread, but Sam is in his own universe compared to the other guys on this list.  Ewers obviously has the talent and supporting cast to wreck shop this season, but we’ll see. The other guys aren’t even worth wasting keyboard strokes on, except Case McCoy will always be a legend. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

The late-stage SWC was a joke compared to the first version of the Big 12. 

Sure. Though mid 1990s Texas A&M was actually pretty strong. We forget sometimes how legitimately elite and intimidating that defense was. And he pretty confidently handled them in 1995 and 1996. And he did win a Big 12 title, as many as Vince or Colt did. Granted this was pre-Stoops OU.

Though 1997 James Brown was one of the worst things ever. So there is that.

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Undersized? Dude was a battering ram.

But maybe you just mean short. He is only about 6 feet tall I think.

That ridiculous comeback against Tech in his senior year was hilarious. Dude single handedly won a game where the rest of the team was hot garbage. Never should have happened. 

I mean height. They were bring generous with his height.