Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

23 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 

I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 

If it’s your first one, get there when gates open, straight to the food court.  First beer and a cinnamon roll by 7:30am (or after the fireball flask you and your buddy downed in the parking lot like my first one) 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

My dumbass just realized I bought tickets on the OU side from SeatGeek. Anyone else ever experienced the game this way? Price was too good to pass up.

I sat in the OU section a few years ago (the Caleb Williams/rush the field game).  It was amazing for the first 3 Qs.  It was ass after that. 

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I never drink the kool aid before the RRS. I’ve been burned thinking we’re hands down better many times. I am definitely confident and I do think we’re the better team, now we just need to come out and play like it and back up our ranking. We’re on the verge of a making the playoff type of season and this is the game that propels you into that or sets you back to hoping for a NY6 game instead of the big one.

Wonder how many upsets have happened in the RRS??  I know that I've been a few times when Texas was supposed to get our asses kicked and we beat those damn "Land Thieves".  🤘

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder how many upsets have happened in the RRS??  I know that I've been a few times when Texas was supposed to get our asses kicked and we beat those damn "Land Thieves".  🤘

I think the 2013 and 2015 wins qualify as the "Texas was supposed to get our asses kicked."  I can't remember any others in the past 20 years or so.  For some of our other wins, e.g., 2008, 2018, I think OU was favored, but I really don't remember anyone thinking an ass-kicking was a likely result.

But in recent memory, like going back to the Mack Brown era, I can't remember a time when the prevailing opinion was that Texas would be handing out an ass kicking and ended up losing.  In other words, I can't think of an "OU had no business winning that game" like our victories in 2013 and 2015.  You could go back to the prior millennia and look at the OU tie in 1995 and OU win in 1996 for something comparable.  

I don't know what any of that all means.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, South Austin said:

I think the 2013 and 2015 wins qualify as the "Texas was supposed to get our asses kicked."  I can't remember any others in the past 20 years or so.  For some of our other wins, e.g., 2008, 2018, I think OU was favored, but I really don't remember anyone thinking an ass-kicking was a likely result.

We were higher ranked than OU in 2020 and somehow not favored.

2009 was a dog fight - we knocked out Bradford, Colt was sick, OU blitzed the shit out of him and Greg Davis was like "what?" and we won a by FG.

UT has a 34-16-1 record against OU when entering the game unbeaten, including wins in three of the last four games

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

We were underdogs (with them being ranked and us not) during the 4 years of Peter "the Great" Gardere.  Also starting an ALL Freshman backfield his freshman yr. My daughter was born (today) 10 days before the '90 game....I almost spiked her in the living room when Keith Cash caught the winning pass on 4th and 7 from the 16 with 2 minutes remaining.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

On 10/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, TexasFan21 said:

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 

I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 

If you don't show up on a viral video Saturday afternoon getting in a drunken, belligerent, altercation with a sooner don't bother showing your face here again.

We're all counting on ya.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thread needs a good laugh, here yah go... NSIAP

What was great about this is after his accurate assessment to her question, she immediately back pedals with "I wasn't trying to lead you"....bitch yes you were with that "I'm a fuckin idiot" hat.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

What was great about this is after his accurate assessment to her question, she immediately back pedals with "I wasn't trying to lead you"....bitch yes you were with that "I'm a fuckin idiot" hat.  

Yeah, the whole “what’s it going to take” phrasing absolutely is staking out a position on the question and he wasn’t having it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The funniest narrative right now on the Texas side is that "Texas has only been playing back up QBs."

1) Svoboda is better than Peasley for Wyoming. A substantially better passer and Wyoming's ceiling is higher with him at QB. 

2) These are the points scored by Kansas with Bean as the starter at QB. 

28 against Texas Tech, 37 against Oklahoma State, 23 against Baylor, 42 against OU, 31 against TCU, 48 against Missouri State. They're averaging nearly 35 points a game with Bean at QB not including Texas.

Bean is not Daniels but he's still a good QB in that Kansas offense. 

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Brandon Walker- "I think Texas is about to beat the dog fucking shit out of them, that's my opinion"

Kayce flipping her shit later in the episode on the Texas fan saying she can’t read or write in the chat was incredible. Everyone else just seemed shocked at how personal she took it as she rambled on about UT and TAMU admissions standards being the “exact same.”

• Haha 4

There is no fucking way in hell I would ever sit on that other side of the stadium.  I imagine the ground is littered with cigarette butts, losing lottery tickets, and empty bottles of Thunderbird.
And the only things you can buy at the concession stands are meth and dreamcatchers.

I did it once, technically. Long time ago the cute HR girl at my firm was a sooner and she had access to some vender tickets front row in the upper deck on about the 45 yard line on the Sooner side. We won the game and I was pretty close to non-methead side so it was a winning day all around plus I realized how great the view was in that location. I wouldn’t venture any further into enemy territory though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The funniest narrative right now on the Texas side is that "Texas has only been playing back up QBs."

1) Svoboda is better than Peasley for Wyoming. A substantially better passer and Wyoming's ceiling is higher with him at QB. 

28 against Texas Tech, 37 against Oklahoma State, 23 against Baylor, 42 against OU, 31 against TCU, 48 against Missouri State. They're averaging nearly 35 points a game with Bean at QB not including Texas.

Yeah, Bean is a good QB.  Last year he started a bunch of games and had a 170 pass rating at 10.1 per attempt, 14 TDs and 4 picks.  And he runs a 10.5 100.  Averaged 5.8 per carry.

He is not some shitty backup like OU rolled out last year.  He is really, really good.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yeah, Bean is a good QB.  Last year he started a bunch of games and had a 170 pass rating at 10.1 per attempt, 14 TDs and 4 picks.  And he runs a 10.5 100.  Averaged 5.8 per carry.

He is not some shitty backup like OU rolled out last year.  He is really, really good.

Yup, Bean could start for over half of the teams in the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe I missed something, but isn’t Milroe a starter? Yeah, he got benched for one game.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think where OU will see the biggest "shock" is the DL. They've been playing some small defensive lines. They've seen nothing that compares to the sheer size of Texas with Murphy, Sweat, Collins, etc. 

Cincy, SMU, and Iowa State all have G5 type DLs in terms of size/talent. OU is about to face a different animal on Saturday. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 2

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Put Bean in the Cincinatti offense and he would have lit up that Gooner defense.  OU should have been abused on the wheel route by Cincy, but Cincy tight ends and RB's had stone hands.  

Don't forget that Dekkers was suspended for Iowa State. He was going to be their starter. 

Iowa State is starting a backup QB too. Don't tell OU fans that Bean would be the starter for Iowa State and Cincinnati. It wouldn't even be a question either. 

I think where OU will see the biggest "shock" is the DL. They've been playing some small defensive lines. They've seen nothing that compares to the sheer size of Texas with Murphy, Sweat, Collins, etc. 
Cincy, SMU, and Iowa State all have G5 type DLs in terms of size/talent. OU is about to face a different animal on Saturday. 

Cincinnati actually has a pair of 300+ pound stud DL. They dont’t go 5 deep with 300 pound athletes like Texas does but their two starters can play. Corleone had a sack and 2 TFL against OU. I think they have a pretty good starting ILB too but he missed the game.

Now, one can infer what they will with OU averaging 3.0 ypc in that game.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Cincinnati actually has a pair of 300+ pound stud DL. They dont’t go 5 deep with 300 pound athletes like Texas does but their two starters can play. Corleone had a sack and 2 TFL against OU. I think they have a pretty good starting ILB too but he missed the game.

Good points. The Cinci DL is no joke. The LB who missed that game is out for the season and that was a big blow for them heading into that game. 

The biggest issue in that Cincinnati game is that Emory Jones is a terrible QB. Like Joe Milton, there's a reason he's already lost two starting QB roles in college. He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He was truly pathetic in the OU game. If he could have at least been functional, OU was in trouble.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

May or may have not been discussed, by Kevin Mar and company will be the ref crew.  Should be just under a 4.5 hour game since they want to be on TV so much. 

With Sankey there, ESPN Game Day and all the millions of betting eyeballs that will be on the game, I hope Yormack and Mar are not stupid enough to put their T. Bone Pickens officiating agenda on display.   The backlash might be legendary if they do.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Corleone and Briggs are good players but have taken a pretty substantial step back this year. 

There's a big difference between playing in the AAC and a power conference. Neither of those guys would start at Texas. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good points. The Cinci DL is no joke. The LB who missed that game is out for the season and that was a big blow for them heading into that game. 

The biggest issue in that Cincinnati game is that Emory Jones is a terrible QB. Like Joe Milton, there's a reason he's already lost two starting QB roles in college. He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He was truly pathetic in the OU game. If he could have at least been functional, OU was in trouble.

The 3 AAC teams are now a combined 0-6 in the Big 12.

These teams are quickly finding out that there's a big talent gap across the board between the AAC and a meh P5 conference like the Big 12. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A little bit of a joke. The same defense that gave up:

21 to Pitt, the same Pitt that scored 6 on WV.

31 to Miami Ohio

35 to BYU

...and OU put 20 on these guys 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

A little bit of a joke. The same defense that gave up:

21 to Pitt, the same Pitt that scored 6 on WV.

31 to Miami Ohio

35 to BYU

...and OU put 20 on these guys 

I said nothing about Cincinnati's defense overall. Why didn't I? Because it sucks. They lost a solid LB and replaced him with someone who shouldn't be on a Big 12 roster and the LBs are poor. Their secondary is pure mediocrity. The DL, however, you know, the front 3/4 that they put out there? They're "no joke". As in, they're nothing to laugh at because they're decent to good. That's it. That's all I typed. We can all look up scoring stats and the schedule, and most of us have and then some.