Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

He had 80 yards rushing in 4 games before this game. He’s not a runner, in 10 games at UCF he had 169 yards, in 12 games last year he had 315 yards. I’m not great at math but that’s 16 and 26 yards a game. He played the best game of his life and will never play that good again. It’s what the Sooners do in that rivalry game lol. It sucks but it is what it is. PK is the DC so he will eat a lot of that blame but when a guy plays a perfect game sometimes it’s hard to stop. Gabriel is a decent qb that played his ass off. Period. 

In game adjustments are allowed. Their first TD was an indicator that OU in fact was willing to risk using him as a runner. His run game isn’t the only thing that hurt us on their game winning drive.  Our defensive line was not bringing enough pressure to make DG remotely uncomfortable in the pocket. PK’s tendency to play soft/prevent defense in critical points of the game is what my criticism is directed at. I would’ve rather seen us blitz him with Ant Hill, rather than play soft and get picked apart anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

In game adjustments are allowed. Their first TD was an indicator that OU in fact was willing to risk using him as a runner. His run game isn’t the only thing that hurt us on their game winning drive.  Our defensive line was not bringing enough pressure to make DG remotely uncomfortable in the pocket. PK’s tendency to play soft/prevent defense in critical points of the game is what my criticism is directed at. I would’ve rather seen us blitz him with Ant Hill, rather than play soft and get picked apart anyway.

Ford played like absolute dog shit, watts was out and again…I stress this liberally…Gabriel played the. Best. Game. Of. His. Life. I get it though man, I was and am still pissed off that our defense got man handled. Derek johnson, Michael griffin, or Michael huff weren’t walking through that door for PK.  I mean Catalon is like 30 years old and got absolutely torched for a long gain. He’s a savvy veteran, no way he should get beat like a step child like that. Sometimes you call the right shit and it still goes to all hell. 

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ford played like absolute dog shit, watts was out and again…I stress this liberally…Gabriel played the. Best. Game. Of. His. Life. I get it though man, I was and am still pissed off that our defense got man handled. Derek johnson, Michael griffin, or Michael huff weren’t walking through that door for PK.  I mean Catalon is like 30 years old and got absolutely torched for a long gain. He’s a savvy veteran, no way he should get beat like a step child like that. Sometimes you call the right shit and it still goes to all hell. 

Agree on Ford playing like shit. He either was gimpy or just had his worst game of the season at the worst time.

PK’s scheme is not something that I have a problem with as much as I do with some of his situational tendencies. What is frustrating is that I’ve seen him dial up blitzes to seal close games. Baylor last year was one example, when Overshown crunched their QB. Ryan Watts could have rocked Bryce Young to take them out of FG range, but he whiffed. I’m just baffled as to why PK turtled at such a critical time yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

He had 80 yards rushing in 4 games before this game. He’s not a runner, in 10 games at UCF he had 169 yards, in 12 games last year he had 315 yards. I’m not great at math but that’s 16 and 26 yards a game. He played the best game of his life and will never play that good again. It’s what the Sooners do in that rivalry game lol. It sucks but it is what it is. PK is the DC so he will eat a lot of that blame but when a guy plays a perfect game sometimes it’s hard to stop. Gabriel is a decent qb that played his ass off. Period. 

Ive seen Gabriel play only a few times. Against Kansas St last year he looked like a dangerous runner that could gash teams badly. Dude clearly is elusive and has wheels. That he didnt have designed runs against Tulsa should be discarded.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man, that interview with Venerables.... 

Reporter: referencing Texas/OU "You can't practice the pressure and the tension..."

Venables: cuts him off "you can't? Yeah you can, yeah you can"

That's what left Clemson. He's a weird meth head that I would make sleep in the garage if he was visiting, but that attitude is invaluable 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 7:43 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Been long enough to get off a post - Texas honestly looks ahead of OU.  Better depth imo.  Better top end talent.  OU coaching was better except special teams - and that was enough to nearly cost them.  BUT - There's always the 'it' factor in this game and Texas very rarely has it.  OU comes in pissed and looking for blood - it's not always enough, but it sure as shit helps.  That's only reason I'd debate the 6-7 of 10 thing.  Takes a while to beat that narrative out of the back of the coaches/players minds.  But UT is way too good for anyone to expect 2 wins.  OU could win the rematch but when it comes down to it, Texas should likely be favored.  Reality is it was two really good teams and it was pretty much taken for granted that OU was total trash and would wander the desert for the forseeable future.  That narrative is mostly dead but Texas season sure isn't.  See you assholes round 2 in that sterile shithole...

Yep. Not sure why people are dismissing the emotion aspect of the game. Ou has kicked our asses over and over because they came in and fucked us up from the kickoff. We almost got lucky enough to win anyway yesterday, but we never matched that emotion and lost because of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What do you mean? Not only did we weather the storm, but we out gained them offensively and went ahead with a minute and 15 seconds left.

And we still lost. Had we not shit all over ourselves in the first quarter, we would have easily won the game. We have more talent and more depth, but a loser mentality. Sarkisian attacked the last 2 years and pussied out this year. 

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Man, that interview with Venerables.... 

Reporter: referencing Texas/OU "You can't practice the pressure and the tension..."

Venables: cuts him off "you can't? Yeah you can, yeah you can"

That's what left Clemson. He's a weird meth head that I would make sleep in the garage if he was visiting, but that attitude is invaluable 

All of his sign stealing left Clemson too. Look at how Venables was covering up his signals with that setup on the sidelines. You don’t make an effort to do that unless you’re stealing other people’s signs. 

15 hours ago, Nivek said:

one sided officiating has also helped tip the scales. 

Like:

-typical OU holding and letting Griffin have all day w/ significant penalties.

- the faux targeting call 1st half w/ 1/2 distance to the goal that lead to and OU score

-the incidental contact w/ the OU punter

it pushed the needle toward OU. That being said , OU had better sustained intensity, a better tempo game , and and better OL & DL lines.
Our OL was pushed around and didn’t’ have the power when it was most critically needed, incredibly disappointed , and it looked like a FUPM OL from 2010-2013.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

I believe you can point to Ricky, Vince, Shipley, Colt…there’s some Texas guys in there that played balls out for us. It’s what @ChiTownDoc alluded to though, the sooners wanna win that game like they wanna breathe the last 23 years. We on the other hand are entitled and play more like we should win a lot because we recruit well. I hate it with all my being but at the end of the day it’s backed up by the amount of ass kickings we have taken in that rivalry since stoops was hired. Those fuckers come angry and we just show up. 

It is truely amazing that after losing 7 out of 9 times, TX can’t get fired up for this game.  It also amazes me OU isnt bored as shit with this “rivalry” and still feels any anger whatsoever.

• Hook 'Em 3

It is truely amazing that after losing 7 out of 9 times, TX can’t get fired up for this game.  It also amazes me OU isnt bored as shit with this “rivalry” and still feels any anger whatsoever.
This is turning into Michigan vs Ohio State. We are Michigan. We win a few times here and there but that's about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

We’re only there to have fun. Thankfully, Sarkisian had someone else wait in line to buy the team Fair coupons so they were able to spend the rest of the afternoon eating corn dogs and riding the Texas Star Fun! Fun! Fun!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
6 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

This is turning into Michigan vs Ohio State. We are Michigan. We win a few times here and there but that's about it.

tx coach just needs to start hosting sleepovers with recruits again, then the program will be back on the right track

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

And we still lost. Had we not shit all over ourselves in the first quarter, we would have easily won the game. We have more talent and more depth, but a loser mentality. Sarkisian attacked the last 2 years and pussied out this year. 

Perhaps, but that isn't what you said the first time around,  nor is it to what I responded. I was addressing your previous comment, not the emotional bed wetting you posted this time around.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Perhaps, but that isn't what you said the first time around,  nor is it to what I responded. I was addressing your previous comment, not the emotional bed wetting you posted the second time around.

We lost the game. They punched us in the mouth and took the fight to us. We kept taking the punches. Giving them points immediately was a very familiar sight, and ultimately cost us the game. We lost the ability to score on that possession and they cashed in. We also played not to lose on when we kicked the final FG, which ensured our loss. 

Very consistently since Stoops got to OU, playing not to lose has lost us our games against the Sooners. It’s an emotional game. When you’re playing an emotional opponent with near equal talent, you have to match their aggression and emotion. Sadly, our coaches don’t seem to have noticed and too many fans keep saying “Thank you, Sir. May I have another.”

It’s Stockholm Syndrome. it you’re looking for the bed wetter, you might check the mirror. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

We lost the game. They punched us in the mouth and took the fight to us. We kept taking the punches. Giving them points immediately was a very familiar sight, and ultimately cost us the game. We lost the ability to score on that possession and they cashed in. We also played not to lose on when we kicked the final FG, which ensured our loss. 

Very consistently since Stoops got to OU, playing not to lose has lost us our games against the Sooners. It’s an emotional game. When you’re playing an emotional opponent with near equal talent, you have to match their aggression and emotion. Sadly, our coaches don’t seem to have noticed and too many fans keep saying “Thank you, Sir. May I have another.”

I'm not going to chase you around while you move the goal posts. I addressed a specific point and refuted it. You were wrong, so I it's understandable why you don't want to address it in your subsequent comments.

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm not going to chase you around while you move the goal posts. I addressed a specific point and refuted it. You were wrong, so I it's understandable why you don't want to address it in your subsequent comments.

If you can’t follow that “weathering the storm” is indicative of a “let’s not get emotional” or “have fun” mindset, I can’t help you.

We have more talent and more depth, but once again played a fire-breathing rival as just another team on the schedule. They fucked us up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

If Venables turns out to be a really good head coach. Which I struggle to believe. That fucking Castiglione is a hell of an AD. 

Not sure why Texas fans assumed he wouldn’t be. Can’t even begin to count how many times I read we’ll be wandering the desert for a decade, he’s charlie strong, etc. 

Texas fans and Brandon Walker thought he’d fail. Great company to hold. 

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

Not sure why Texas fans assumed he wouldn’t be. Can’t even begin to count how many times I read we’ll be wandering the desert for a decade, he’s charlie strong, etc. 

To be fair, we make it easy for y’all when we’re the only conference competition and we continue to hire coaches who squat to pee.

I think Venables is a meathead, but he hates Texas with a passion and understands that’s the most important game y’all play every season. 

15 minutes ago, Constant said:

To be fair, Charlie did win one against you all and so did Turtle Tom….

Just now, Constant said:

I live a short distance from Clemson. I had seen him many times while he was there. And nothing I ever saw suggested head coach material. Great assistant, lots of success, not particularly well spoken. And, there were many rumors as well. 

So when Riley gutted that program, in a way I had not seen before. By not only his departure, but taking 75% of the offense with him, and collapsing the remaining staff. It sure looked like a multi year rebuilding job.

So yeah, I’m surprised that the guy I saw with the deer in the headlights look at his opening presser managed to pull this off in year two. Surprised the shit out of me. 

• Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

To be fair, we make it easy for y’all when we’re the only conference competition and we continue to hire coaches who squat to pee.

I think Venables is a meathead, but he hates Texas with a passion and understands that’s the most important game y’all play every season. 

You think that because you spend literally zero time or effort to learn anything about him - which I understand. 

If you’re open to the possibility of a different opinion, watch his speech here.  He’s a humble, hard working man that grew up with extreme hardships and has earned this opportunity. He’s quite simply the antimeathead. He demands everyones best and knows how to get it. 

Edited by Constant

Just now, Constant said:

Alright. Continue the idiotic line of thinking I guess. 

Just noting that a coach winning the RR game doesn’t necessarily set the tone for future success and vice versa.   Look at how many times Mack Brown got humiliated , but yet won the title after five straight and pretty humiliating loses.  I thought we’d turn the page when we beat you guys in 2018 under Turtle Tom and that was a horrible miscalculation. 

I’m sure you could look back at your Sooner history and see the same.   

39 minutes ago, Constant said:

Um, plenty of Sooner fans thought the same thing amigo after last year's game.  Don't make me go dig up Soonerfans posts.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I live a short distance from Clemson. I had seen him many times while he was there. And nothing I ever saw suggested head coach material. Great assistant, lots of success, not particularly well spoken. And, there were many rumors as well. 

So when Riley gutted that program, in a way I had not seen before. By not only his departure, but taking 75% of the offense with him, and collapsing the remaining staff. It sure looked like a multi year rebuilding job.

So yeah, I’m surprised that the guy I saw with the deer in the headlights look at his opening presser managed to pull this off in year two. Surprised the shit out of me. 

Right.   Venables was at the top of the media’s list of the top Assistant coaches or non Power 5 Head Coaches who deserved a shot at a big time program much like Charlie Strong and Turtle Tom were when we hired them.   It’s hard not to take the bait especially if you have more big money donors and decision makers who really don’t dig into the details and just hire on the media spin.  Some work out like Kirby Smart at UGA.   Other don’t  like Charlie.  

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Um, plenty of Sooner fans thought the same thing amigo after last year's game.  Don't make me go dig up Soonerfans posts.

I guess I shouldn’t limit it to any one fanbase. He’s done a good job and he has built a strong foundation for a good program. Some stuff, like NIL, may never be elite, but he’s building a program that can last and compete. We’ll see where it goes from here, but he should definitely have people’s attention now. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:

I guess I shouldn’t limit it to any one fanbase. 

Yeah, you shouldn't.

Your posts about him are eerily reminiscent of another non Horn poster here who thought Ed Orgeron was the 2nd coming of Nick Saban,.

Edited by Cajun

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think I agree with this and this mentality I think is why we fucking suck in this game. 

Not my mojo.    Just noting how things have gone with the game.   I’m with the group who wishes we d come out spitting nails and wanting to walk on fire and broken glass every time we play them.  

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The only thing that is shameful is how much of a little baby you are being. If you can't handle it then go be interested in something else because this isn't for you.

I’m calling a spade a spade. If that offends your sensibilities, maybe you’re more of a Ketch guy. 

For what's worth, here are the records of Texas coaches vs OU since Royal era (during which I was born).

Sark 1-2

Herman 1-4

Strong 1-2

Mack 7-9 

Mackovic 3-2-1

McWilliams 3-2 (including winning 3 straight)

Akers 5-4-1 (including winning 3 straight)

Royal 12-7-1 (including winning 9 straight and losing 5 straight)

-- Hell, 3 coaches that UT fired had winning records vs. OU (Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic) 

BROWN to SARK: 10-18

-- Clear disadvantage for UT in Dallas

ROYAL to MACKOVIC: 23-15-3

-- Clear advantage for UT in Dallas.

Since 2000? Bottom line, I guess:

-- At the State Fair, Stoops (12-8 vs Texas) and Riley (4-1) were the better coaches. With Venables, it remains to be seen...

Edited by BevoAbyss

12 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I've been wondering for a while why Jaydon Blue doesn't get more carries since Baxter is clearly not 100%.  Why not use Blue to give Brooks a break when needed and let Baxter focus on getting healthy?

As I expected, he’s been in the doghouse since the Wyoming fumble late. Hard to trust guys who put the ball on the ground.

Edited by Hookem2147

I just don’t agree with any notion that we were prepared to just let OU dictate terms and we treated it like a normal game. We tried to do a double pass on the opening kickoff, faked a punt the second drive, blocked a punt in the first quarter, went for it on 4th down three times in the first half. I don’t think Quinn threw that first INT because he was thinking this is just another game!

They delivered punches. We delivered punches. They delivered the final punch. We lost by 4 in the final seconds. It happens.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I just don’t agree with any notion that we were prepared to just let OU dictate terms and we treated it like a normal game. We tried to do a double pass on the opening kickoff, faked a punt the second drive, blocked a punt in the first quarter, went for it on 4th down three times in the first half. I don’t think Quinn threw that first INT because he was thinking this is just another game!

They delivered punches. We delivered punches. They delivered the final punch. We lost by 4 in the final seconds. It happens.

But but but Sark told guys to have fun doing what they love. Obviously that's why we lost.

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

They came out wanting to destroy us, our season, and our lives.  We came out "business-like".  

It amazes me to this day that Texas coaches take so long to figure out that this is no ordinary game and you'd better be shitting thunderbolts from the first kick.

You could tell in the first 2 minutes that they got that and we didn't.  Again.

Shitting Thunderbolts is an excellent band name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Just noting that a coach winning the RR game doesn’t necessarily set the tone for future success and vice versa.  

In the big 12, Texas and OU have historically dominated in talent and the winner of the RRR wins the conference (usually) and sets them up for BCS bowls and NY6 and CFP. 

OU is going to find out starting next year that just because you win the RRR doesn’t mean you can coast to the conf title game once you have to play Georgia, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Aggy, Bama afterwards instead of ISU, KSU, WV, Tech, Baylor, etc. 

Same goes for us, but we are building a program and talent that can win those games too. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

In the big 12, Texas and OU have historically dominated in talent and the winner of the RRR wins the conference (usually) and sets them up for BCS bowls and NY6 and CFP. 

OU is going to find out starting next year that just because you win the RRR doesn’t mean you can coast to the conf title game once you have to play Georgia, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Aggy, Bama instead of ISU, KSU, WV, Tech, Baylor, etc 

Yeah being SEC is gonna change the significance of this game. I think for the better. The one aspect of college football that i've always hated is one loss destroying your whole season. Not that this one will for us, but it has in the past due to the dogshit nature of this conference.

16 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Did the network wire up Sark before the game so they could show him walking around telling the players to "have fun"?

He shoulda told them to go fuck themselves, and he shoulda been telling those players to go out there tear off some heads.

Has a coach ever said anything of significance when he knows he’s mic’d up? Besides Dan Lanning of course.