Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

10 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

If West Virginia beats OU and also has another conference loss somewhere where does that leave us?

..or in other words, is there a scenario where a once beaten Texas team does not make the CCG, other than obvious one of WV running the table?

No that is probably the only way, we play everybody else with a loss except OSU. We probably lose out on that three way tie with WV and OU.

Would be a fitting way to end our time in the Big 12.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I really don’t need to watch a video. I have spoken with him on several occasions at Clemson’s booster club gatherings. My kid is on the board of IPTAY donation group.

I also don’t necessarily disagree with any your particular points. But, to be the face of a major program? Yeah, that I didn’t see. Obviously Castiglione saw something else. 

Well, I suppose its a good thing I wasn’t really talking to you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes. We probably lose out on that three way tie.

Would be a fitting way to end our time in the Big 12.

Yeah, one other thing that pisses me off is that OU rarely has any serious consequences when they lose to us other than the game itself.

Prior to 2000 under Mack, OU wasn't really playing for the South division title in any year.

2005 they came in 2nd in the South after losing to the National Championship Texas team, oh well tip of the hat to Texas.

2006, Texas hands OU the south trophy after losing to kstate and aggy.

2008 been there done that.

2009 OU is 2nd in the south, but mediocre and injured qb. Had other conf loss to Nebraska 

2013 finished 2nd but would have lost anyway due to loss to baylor and Texas loss to baylor.

2018 went to the playoff.

2021 stunk on ice

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Defender on the side (olineman was initialy beat on a swim move), arm in front arm in back....or what you might call a bear hug.  Then the takedown tackle. Then Gabriel running free to uncork it to Stoops.  Ref standing there didn't see shit.

F57CFA24-E990-4803-8BD2-093B61164F93.thumb.jpeg.0fdc4f3f278e3ca7149d61deb9305d3f.jpegT9C6E5961-10DA-4FE9-8D51-2C0DB5A059E5.thumb.jpeg.17735de030b4fd3738aa3245958ca6b5.jpegF6FF7B11-E9DE-4168-B6F1-5123446BB2E3.thumb.jpeg.b5a850a9b362c437876fd974f50ca353.jpeg

Everyone knows "you can call holding on every play".  You think there should've been a flag at 1:44:39? Or, Helm's TD at around 58:47 on Jones and/or Neto or 2:13:20 on Conner during Brooks TD run? Football would be unwatchable if refs called holding on screenshots in time. There's "holding" in CFB that just isn't going to get called and every team benefits from it, teams and fans. There is holding that should be called, like the bullshit Bryce Young scramble to get the edge and into FG range last year. That's a fucking holding call that is open and obvious in space and changes the game and has to be called. I can't imagine watching football and picking out the holding on every play that's a negative and ignoring it on every play that's a positive. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gernblansten said:

Everyone knows "you can call holding on every play".  You think there should've been a flag at 1:44:39? Or, Helm's TD at around 58:47 on Jones and/or Neto or 2:13:20 on Conner during Brooks TD run? Football would be unwatchable if refs called holding on screenshots in time. There's "holding" in CFB that just isn't going to get called and every team benefits from it, teams and fans. There is holding that should be called, like the bullshit Bryce Young scramble to get the edge and into FG range last year. That's a fucking holding call that is open and obvious in space and changes the game and has to be called. I can't imagine watching football and picking out the holding on every play that's a negative and ignoring it on every play that's a positive. 

No I don't.  There is plenty of minor grabbing and pulling or backside of the play action whatever that they should generally let go. But when the holding in questions ends in a straight-up takedown that enables the QB to escape up the pocket (I know these are screen shots but watch the tape) and you have not called ONE holding penalty, yea maybe it is time to throw the flag.  If you thought the Bryce Young thing was a key hold I would recommend you go watch our guy get tackled as he is about to close down in DGs face and explain how it isn't basically the same thing....unless you think only takedowns on the edge should be called.  

4 hours ago, EyeSlapMidgets said:

What’s the news on Jake Majors? and I’m remembering correctly that Cole Hutson was our backup center so we were down to our 3rd stringer this whole game at an incredibly important position?

• Majors availability for cougar high game will be determined next week. 
  • Watts is same, along with Catalon
  • Hutson improving... may be ready next game
  • Banks and Hayden are banged up and may be held out of some practices this week. 
  • JT probably doesn't practice this week.

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Majors availability for cougar high game will be determined next week. 
  • Watts is same, along with Catalon
  • Hutson improving... may be ready next game
  • Banks and Hayden are banged up and may be held out of some practices this week. 
  • JT probably doesn't practice this week.

Just get everyone healthy for BYU

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Since he's wearing two hats, he absolutely should have at least one assistant whose primary job is to tap him on the shoulder for situational game management issues like this.

He’s a damn good play caller, he just needs to hire a decent HC to manage the game, the clock and step in when the defense goes bone head prevent unless there’s ~10 seconds and >50 yards to go.  Then we should be good to go.

5 hours ago, Monahorns said:

If an OL keeps holding the defender, the defender should subtlety punch or knee him in the nuts.  You get thrown out if the refs catch you but it should only take once to make your point.

if the reefs aren’t going to call holding, our offensive coaches should make that part of our game plan, give Ewers more time and fewer sacks.

did we do some holding?  Absolutely.   But OU did it with such abandon knowing it’s not getting called very often.

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Part of holding is selling it. Trying to play through the hold actually makes it worse and seem passable at times. You can tell certain teams train their defenders on how to present themselves when they are being held to draw the flag. We aren't very good at it, at times.

this absolutely..  our defensive staff needs to teach them how to sell the holding when it’s as egregious as what we saw Saturday.   

If West Virginia beats OU and also has another conference loss somewhere where does that leave us?
..or in other words, is there a scenario where a once beaten Texas team does not make the CCG, other than obvious one of WV running the table?

So unlikely it’s not worth worrying about

4 hours ago, gernblansten said:

OU holds across the board every single play. They’ve been coached to do it for decades, just like Grinch used to teach their DBs to interfere every play because “they can’t call it every play.”

I could see players tackled and sleeves pulled from the top of the upper deck Saturday. I’d say those should be called, but maybe that’s just me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, JBJ said:

You don't follow recruiting do you?

Donta had a twin brother that was TXHS player of the year that everyone was after.  This wasn't a last minute grab.

Everyone was after Connor Williams despite his ranking.  Georgia even made a in-home push on him after he was thought to be a Texas lean.

Not anymore. I'm pretty positive D'onta was only offered because their dad sold them as a package deal and Texas wanted Armanti badly. But as we all saw it was D'onta that was the prize. 

Do you not agree Texas has recruited some major pussies that were toxic to the culture but had stars by their names?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, JBJ said:

This double-hold + face mask caught some eyes of officials.

Screenshot_20231009_163543_YouTube.jpg.67f8cc97df7d38a6bded3daec9584a2a.jpg

Went back and looked at this, the EDGE(Burke I Believe) screwed up and took the wrong gap allowing the LT to block both him and the blitzing CB. The LG was lost, had Burke taken the inside, the LT was going to have to make a choice on who to block and someone is free coming at the QB. Sack could have meant ballgame.

image.thumb.png.df738584ee67e02f2d46a9b42d3a0e37.png

image.png.24cf43eac87039517f2dd1d9f1af39cc.png

Burke is pushing the LT towards the blitzing CB. At this point Burke should at minimum bull rush but should come inside off the LT's right shoulder. Watching it all the way through it does appear the the LT is holding each player by their right shoulder pads. If two defenders take the same gap, they just make it easy on the LT. You have to force him to choose, that is the design of the blitz. 

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Went back and looked at this, the EDGE(Burke I Believe) screwed up and took the wrong gap allowing the LT to block both him and the blitzing CB. The LG was lost, had Burke taken the inside, the LT was going to have to make a choice on who to block and someone is free coming at the QB. Sack could have meant ballgame.

Burke is pushing the LT towards the blitzing CB. At this point Burke should at minimum bull rush but should come inside off the LT's right shoulder. Watching it all the way through it does appear the the LT is holding each player by their right shoulder pads. If two defenders take the same gap, they just make it easy on the LT. You have to force him to choose, that is the design of the blitz. 

Burke was next to useless in that game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bro was being held so badly. 

That LT held both those defenders and should have been a penalty with 10 second run off.

He was held on some plays.  But I saw plenty of other plays where he was a non-factor without being held.  And I feel bad for calling him out because I actually like the kid and think he's going to be a really good player down the road, but he and Ford in particular did not play up to their prior levels against BlowU.  

I see from another post that Burke may be dealing with a knee sprain, which could help explain his ineffectiveness in that game.  If he's hurt and his injury is essentially rendering him ineffective, then the coaching staff bears blame for leaving him out there.

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

the Tackle grabbed Burke by the jersey/shoulder area(holding, nah, Texas) and pulled him toward the outside rusher who was eventually grabbed/maybe even face mask. Should have been a penalty but Burke also needed to fight harder and pull(yes hold/grab/bearhug)the tackle inside.

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

there is worse. Go watch Murphy on the 44 yard run by Gabriel. He completely opens up the middle of the field. Starts in A gap and ends up in opposite B/C gap. Lot of undisciplined pass rushing and DG took advantage of it.. 

On 10/8/2023 at 12:15 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Comes from the head coaching imo. DKR and early Mack are the only true coaches we’ve had that actually had the right mentality in terms of that. Late Mack brown and tv Mack that you see isn’t who early Mack was. 

Only Coach Royal had a great record against ou. Wasn’t it early Mack that just HAD to start Chris Simms? For a WHOLE season. What were early Mack’s ou scores? I haven’t checked but I watched, and was there couple times and don’t remember him dominating ou. Vince and Colt MADE Mack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:02 AM, 59 Burst said:

If Venables turns out to be a really good head coach. Which I struggle to believe. That fucking Castiglione is a hell of an AD. 

Castiglione is a hell of an AD. He’s been there quite a while. Check out their other sports successes since he came. I’ll CDC over him all day every day. But Joe C has been very good for ou methhead, sister …. You know. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

Only Coach Royal had a great record against ou. Wasn’t it early Mack that just HAD to start Chris Simms? For a WHOLE season. What were early Mack’s ou scores? I haven’t checked but I watched, and was there couple times and don’t remember him dominating ou. Vince and Colt MADE Mack. 

I'm not talking about specific decisions within their careers. I'm talking about mentality....

That opinion comes from players who played for Mack From 2002-2007 era. The Mack you saw on TV and etc wasn't the Mack behind closed doors....yes Vince helped Mack get the monkey off the back with dominant early 2000s OU teams. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

Castiglione is a hell of an AD. He’s been there quite a while. Check out their other sports successes since he came. I’ll CDC over him all day every day. But Joe C has been very good for ou methhead, sister …. You know. 

Joe C also gets to hire his coach. CDC doesn’t get to hire a football coach 

• Rage+1 2

you notice in some the Sweatt video we are bring blitzers/extra men but they all hesitate due to Dillon potentially running.  That is why you need a mobile QB.  I would actually call some planned QB draw/delay runs from the pocket early in the game.  you rip off a couple of 10 to 15 yarders the defenders and blitzers all have to hesitate the rest of the game.

What few plays I re watched of our D showed us blitzing 100% pointlessly all game.  Like Manny Diaz waste your LB type blitzes.   Gabriel made em pay often including the winning TD.

OU wide OL splits may have affected the blitz game... but again... does our coaching staff actually watch any damn film, jesus

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

That stutsman mother fucker says some real poignant shit at the 2:30 mark. oklahoma only fears God, Texas fears oklahoma. That shit is absolutely true until it ain’t, we need Sark to go on a 5 year run of smooth butt fucking venables/Oklahoma until their souls are taken from them. If we are lucky maybe Ewers gets a rematch and then arch rattles off 4 wins a row. It would be glorious. 

• Hook 'Em 2