Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

15 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Wrong.  Israel could wipe Gaza off the map if they wanted to.  They don’t despite all the attacks.

Of course they technically could. The point is they would have no allies left if they did. That's why it's an idiotic point to even discuss. No matter what a piece of work Netanyahu is, wiping out 2 million people would instantly make Israel the loneliest country in the world and he knows it. Engaging in ethnic cleansing over several decades is much safer.

Not to mention, it's important to remember that without the existence of Hamas to use as a political bludgeon, Likud likely does not have enough support within Israel to remain in power, which poses a big problem for Netanyahu's prospects of staying out of prison. He needs Hamas, and they need him. It's a vicious ouroboros.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I want Hamas dead or to surrender.  Until they are all one or the other, the IDF shouldn’t let up one bit.  

My inner desire to see as many muslims dead as possible?  What a stupid statement.  

Of course. Tens of thousands of dead Palestinians mean nothing to you. If the shoe was on the other foot, you'd be apoplectic with rage. Your (many times demonstrated on Surly) hateful Christian fundamentalism requires you to hate them.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Of course. Tens of thousands of dead Palestinians mean nothing to you. If the shoe was on the other foot, you'd be apoplectic with rage. Your (many times demonstrated on Surly) hateful Christian fundamentalism requires you to hate them.

Those lives mean nothing to Hamas.  Hamas is solely responsible for every death in Gaza.   I’d prefer they leave each other alone.  But Hamas chose differently.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Even if you nuke the entirety of Palestine a dozen times over and killed virtually every person in the region it wouldn't end Hamas. They don't only exist within that geological border. 

And even if they did and it ended Hamas it wouldn't end Islam. But it would cause Islamic countries to try to nuke Israel out of existence. It would create hate groups that rise from the Hamas ashes with more rage than before. 

How did decades worth of US bullshit following a decade of Solviet bullshit in Islamic countries only making things worse not impart any wisdom?

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Even if you nuke the entirety of Palestine a dozen times over and killed virtually every person in the region it wouldn't end Hamas. They don't only exist within that geological border. 

And even if they did and it ended Hamas it wouldn't end Islam. But it would cause Islamic countries to try to nuke Israel out of existence. It would create hate groups that rise from the Hamas ashes with more rage than before. 

How did decades worth of US bullshit following a decade of Solviet bullshit in Islamic countries only making things worse not impart any wisdom?

To be fair, those countries have never exactly been garden spots.

Israel will make peace with its neighbors.  See Egypt and Jordan.  What it cannot do is make peace with entities that only want to destroy it.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, freyguy said:

Well, compared to past events where servicemen chose to go on a shooting rampage, I think this had the best possible outcome.

Sadly, Bushnell was radicalized by a toxic and cancerous ideology.  Here are some of his reddit posts.

Sad a F-16 pilot survived a crash and other posts.

GHT1YaBWEAAJJCh.jpg

IMG-0254.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry if already posted.  Love him or hate him, Jon Stewart with a reasonable solution.   Long and short, Israel stops bombing and pulls out.  ALL hostages released.  Arab nations form coalition force (I know I know, thats a big ask).  Wont be called NATO for obvious reasons, but rather METO (I laughed, Middle East Treaty Org).  DMZ between a Gaza and Israel is established, funded and monitored by a METO force.

Im mean it makes sense on paper.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2024/02/27/the-daily-show-jon-stewart-war-in-gaza-orig.cnn

I think one of the more interesting things going on is the dissolution of the Fatah PA government, and its reforming as…something else. 

I am an optimist, by nature. I choose to believe that some people of good will and intentions are involved and I hope they’re successful in giving these people a good leadership. Any success in That direction will be a good thing. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Those lives mean nothing to Hamas.  Hamas is solely responsible for every death in Gaza.   I’d prefer they leave each other alone.  But Hamas chose differently.  

Hamas is trying to use Israel's, and for that matter most of the worlds, humanity as a weapon against them to get Israel to stop attacking.  They take women, children, civilians and use them as human shields, often firing and trying to kill Israeli's and others as they stand behind them.  Then if attacked they claim the "inhumanity" of that action. They did this before this larger conflict as they purposefully use hospitals, schools etc as places for weapons, headquarters and launching missiles and attacks.

If you use a human shield and that "shield" gets injured or killed, the one who should be held responsible is the person who used them.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 12:58 PM, Brian Fantana said:

Apparently, he was a DevOps engineer for the Air Force, on active duty, and based in San Antonio. Doesn't really take much imagination to figure out what he was likely working on. A strong enough crisis of conscience certainly could lead to a mental break like this.

I watched the [blurred] video. He states his intentions calmly and clearly, sets his phone down to film, pours the fuel on himself, lights it, and yells "Free Palestine!" until he is no longer physically able.

The worst part is the meathead cop pointing a gun at him (according to reports, this is off screen on his video) and getting stuck in NPC mode, yelling "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND" over and over as if the guy who's literally engulfed in flames in front of him can hear or see his stupid ass.

https://www.kenklippenstein.com/p/what-aaron-bushnell-did-in-the-military

But Bushnell was not a spy or an intelligence analyst scouring through the intercepts and imagery. He was not even focused on the Middle East in his work. He was a backend IT guy, one of countless young tech support people who now staff the national security community, similar to what Edward Snowden was.

Despite widespread coverage, the press hasn’t done a very good job of explaining what exactly Bushnell did in the military. He was assigned to the 531st Intelligence Support Squadron, and stationed at Joint Base San Antonio in Texas. “Freedom is What We Reap,” reads the squadron’s motto, wrapped around a Corinthian helmet that constitutes the unit patch.

Bushnell’s squadron is assigned to the 543rd ISR [intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance] group, which is focused on producing intelligence covering the North America and South American “theaters” of war, as well as providing intelligence support to the drug war and the Department of Homeland Security. Contrary to much speculation online, it’s extremely unlikely that Bushnell had any involvement in the U.S.’s support to Israel amid the Gaza war. 

He was an IT guy, E4.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

been discussed on this board. A few times. Makes sense, but won't happen.

5 hours ago, statsman said:

I think one of the more interesting things going on is the dissolution of the Fatah PA government, and its reforming as…something else. 

I am an optimist, by nature. I choose to believe that some people of good will and intentions are involved and I hope they’re successful in giving these people a good leadership. Any success in That direction will be a good thing. 

Any hope applied to this situation is wasted.  See the first post I quoted.

There are a number of good, or "good enough" paths forward out of this.  They are not difficult to discern.

None of them will happen.  The worst elements of both belligerents are in charge.  The only path either one is interested in is genocide.  Genocide today because they can today.  Or hoping to improve one's position so that they can commit genocide in the future.  Killing is the only goal here.  It won't stop until they have actually completed the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

Meh there’s countless more brainwashed morons like him in service  many before and many after. He did nothing but garner 5 min of fame. Become a meme on social media and will be forgotten next month.  His post cheering solider deaths confirms what most thought. Thankfully he won’t pollute the future gene pool  

I feel bad for his unit and leadership as they are all gonna be dealing with why the fk wasn’t someone watching him bs. 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I feel bad for his unit and leadership as they are all gonna be dealing with why the fk wasn’t someone watching him bs. 

I wonder how much trouble I would get in if I answered that I wasn't watching him because the firelight might have damaged my eyesight.

• Haha 1

This is an interesting article that lays out the strategies:

Israel trying to eliminate Hamas militarily

Hamas trying to hide among civilians and survive until global pressure stops Israel

Despite battlefield setbacks, Hamas militants believe the organization will survive the Israeli ground invasion of Gaza. Many Israeli soldiers fear they are right.
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/hamas-thinks-it-could-win-gaza-war-with-israel-6254a8c6?st=vwnis115bxor2au&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

It’s Hamas’s only play that has a chance.  Get enough dead babies in CNN and hope for the best.

It does appear Hamas has no desire for a ceasefire and the above is in fact their strategy.  Not sure Israel has done a great job of making this clear on the PR front.  

Russia trying to stay relevant and throw a wrench into anything that looks like a win for the US, all the while torching their relations with Israel

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1763116222256701787.html

All eyes on #Putin speech and #Transnistria today.

But something else is happening in Moscow:
+10 Palestinian groups - including #Hamas & Islamic Jihad (PIJ) - are hosted by Russia for mediation talks.

What's #Russia up to? How's it linked to #Ukraine? And can it succeed? 🧵/1
The intra-Palestinian meeting in Moscow has precedent

Russia's hosted such meetings in the past, most recently Feb 2019

Russia has long lamented the US' "monopolization" of the peace process & tried to carve out a niche for itself: mediating among the disunited Palestinians/2
That Hamas & PIJ sit at the table is also no surprise:

Russia has never declared either a terrorist organization

#Hamas delegations have frequented Moscow since 2006

Since Oct 7, Hamas reps have been to Moscow 3x - this will be the 4th visit - a slap into #Israel's face /3
Why is Russia hosting this meeting now?

First, this is a continuation of #Russia's pro-Palestinian posturing since Oct 7.

Russia's slowness and reluctance to call out Hamas' terrorism broke with historical precedent, as I showed here: /4
Unroll available on Thread Reader

Since Oct 7, Russia has:
-accused the West of double standards re: #Ukraine vs. #Gaza
-postured as the defender of Palestinians at the UN
thereby tapping into powerful grievances over Gaza worldwide & cynically exploiting the war for its own ends: /5

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/26/opinion/putin-russia-gaza-israel.html
The temptation to exploit anti-Western sentiments over #Gaza has been so powerful that Russia has been willing to sacrifice its (once good) relations w/#Israel

These relations have been very rocky since Oct 7 & we probably haven't reached the bottom: /6

Second, #Russia is hosting the intra-Palestinian meeting to stay relevant in the unfolding regional diplomacy.

The US has been highly active (toward ceasefire, hostage release deal, "day after") - at the highest level - and Russia doesn't want to cede the scene entirely. /7
But what can Russia achieve?

The Palestinian reps now in Moscow are senior (Mousa Abu Marzouk for #Hamas, Azzam al-Ahmad for #Fatah etc.), but they're not the key decision-makers.

Also, Russia's not hosting this at the highest level - Deputy FM Bogdanov is involved... /8
...but there won't be any meeting with #Putin.
Clearly, this is not a Russian priority.

Russia also lacks leverage. At the last intra-Palestinian mtg, Russia failed to get the groups to a joint declaration

It can't offer the Palestinians econ. incentives (unlike Saudi/UAE) /9
That said, Moscow's doing sth. no one else can/wants to do: bring Hamas & PIJ - the #Iran-backed groups - to the table

Some Arab media also rumored that the resignation of Palestinian PM Shtayyeh earlier this week might have been timed so as to give the Moscow talks a chance /10
I doubt that.

Still, #Russia says the talks aim at reaching a *general agreement* on the formation of a unified Palestinian technocratic government

But even if they succeed: #Israel's made clear that any Palestinian entity containing elements of Hamas/PIJ is simply a no-go. /11
What does the region think?

The Arab states - criticising the US for its one-sided backing of #Israel & long agonising over the US' purported unreliability as an ally - welcome a greater Russian & Chinese role in regional diplomacy. As a matter of rhetoric. /12
But when push comes to shove, all eyes are on Washington

In my various engagements with interlocutors from the Gulf/Egypt recently, no one is seriously looking toward Moscow to diffuse tensions

And Israel will likely reject any Russian mediation role toward the "day after" /13
Where does this leave us?

#Russia will continue -without spending much pol. capital- to signal its backing for the Palestinians

But more importantly: whatever diplomatic processes materialize (Israel-Palestinian or regional), Russia will have the back of #Iran & its partners/14
As @HamidRezaAz & I just argued, in light of its war against #Ukraine, Russia "will try to throw wrenches into any coming diplomatic efforts that would smell of American success or would seek to sideline the axis of resistance."

/END

Edited by Viper
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Russia trying to stay relevant and throw a wrench into anything that looks like a win for the US, all the while torching their relations with Israel

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1763116222256701787.html

I think they’re over analyzing it. It may be this simple: Iran is anti-Israel, anti-Jews. Russia needs Iran. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Captainant said:

So uh, what the fuck is up with Israel shooting up an aid station giving out food?

You see, Israel are the good guys here. They can do nothing wrong according to the evangelical Christian Zionist heretics.  I’m sure Jesus is fine with massacring desperate people looking for food. Hopefully this latest atrocity along with Aaron Bushnell’s self-immolation is the turning point to end this disaster.

Edited by Macklemore

Posted (edited)

US blocks UNSC resolution condemning Israel over aid truck stampede disaster

President Biden: US ‘checking competing statements’ after Hamas claims 100 dead

All Israel News Staff | Published: March 1, 2024  

2024-02-29T150707Z_1705915344_RC2FC6AB8H
Palestinians transport casualties following a stampede around an aid convoy in northern Gaza, in this still picture taken from a video February 29, 2024. (Photo: REUTERS TV via REUTERS)

The U.S. on Thursday blocked a UN Security Council (UNSC) statement blaming Israel for the over 100 alleged deaths in a stampede around an aid convoy in northern Gaza on Thursday morning.

The U.S. was the only country of the 15 council members that didn’t support the statement put forward by Algeria in an emergency closed meeting, Palestinian UN ambassador Riyad Mansour told reporters.

The American deputy ambassador Robert Wood said that discussions about amending the language of the statement would continue, but added, “The problem is that we don’t have all the facts here.”

President Joe Biden told reporters that the U.S. was checking “competing versions” of the incident that led to over 100 deaths and hundreds of injured, according to sources in the Gaza Strip.

Israel said that most of the injuries were a result of large crowds swarming around the aid truck convoy and trying to loot it, leading to a stampede that killed most of the victims.

The IDF acknowledged that soldiers shot around ten people in a crowd which endangered the soldiers and a tank at a nearby checkpoint.

Despite Israeli statements and the release of drone footage showing large crowds around the aid convoy, the White House called reports of the incident “tremendously alarming.”

“This latest event needs to be thoroughly investigated,” White House spokesperson Olivia Dalton said on Thursday. U.S. State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said that the U.S. had asked Israel to provide answers.

“We have been in touch with the Israeli government since early this morning and understand that an investigation is underway. We will be monitoring that investigation closely and pressing for answers,” he said, adding that the U.S. also called on Israel to allow “as many points of access as possible, and to enable safe and secure distribution of that aid throughout Gaza.”

In a press conference on Thursday evening, IDF Spokesman Brig.-Gen. Daniel Hagari presented the results of the IDF’s preliminary investigation into the incident.

“No IDF strike was conducted toward the aid convoy,” Hagari said. “On the contrary, the IDF was there carrying out a humanitarian aid operation, to secure the humanitarian corridor, and allow the aid convoy to reach its distribution point, so that the humanitarian aid could reach Gazan civilians in the north who are in need.”

Israel was widely blamed for the deaths in statements from governments in the region, including Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and Turkey.

They were joined by some European governments as well. “The fire by Israeli soldiers against civilians trying to access food is unjustifiable,” the French foreign ministry said, while Spain’s foreign minister called the deaths “unacceptable.”

Edited by Bevo
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Palestinians transport casualties following a stampede around an aid convoy in northern Gaza, in this still picture taken from a video February 29, 2024. (Photo: REUTERS TV via REUTERS)

The U.S. on Thursday blocked a UN Security Council (UNSC) statement blaming Israel for the over 100 alleged deaths in a stampede around an aid convoy in northern Gaza on Thursday morning.

The U.S. was the only country of the 15 council members that didn’t support the statement put forward by Algeria in an emergency closed meeting, Palestinian UN ambassador Riyad Mansour told reporters.

The American deputy ambassador Robert Wood said that discussions about amending the language of the statement would continue, but added, “The problem is that we don’t have all the facts here.”

President Joe Biden told reporters that the U.S. was checking “competing versions” of the incident that led to over 100 deaths and hundreds of injured, according to sources in the Gaza Strip.

Israel said that most of the injuries were a result of large crowds swarming around the aid truck convoy and trying to loot it, leading to a stampede that killed most of the victims.

The IDF acknowledged that soldiers shot around ten people in a crowd which endangered the soldiers and a tank at a nearby checkpoint.

Despite Israeli statements and the release of drone footage showing large crowds around the aid convoy, the White House called reports of the incident “tremendously alarming.”

“This latest event needs to be thoroughly investigated,” White House spokesperson Olivia Dalton said on Thursday. U.S. State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said that the U.S. had asked Israel to provide answers.

“We have been in touch with the Israeli government since early this morning and understand that an investigation is underway. We will be monitoring that investigation closely and pressing for answers,” he said, adding that the U.S. also called on Israel to allow “as many points of access as possible, and to enable safe and secure distribution of that aid throughout Gaza.”

In a press conference on Thursday evening, IDF Spokesman Brig.-Gen. Daniel Hagari presented the results of the IDF’s preliminary investigation into the incident.

“No IDF strike was conducted toward the aid convoy,” Hagari said. “On the contrary, the IDF was there carrying out a humanitarian aid operation, to secure the humanitarian corridor, and allow the aid convoy to reach its distribution point, so that the humanitarian aid could reach Gazan civilians in the north who are in need.”

Israel was widely blamed for the deaths in statements from governments in the region, including Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and Turkey.

They were joined by some European governments as well. “The fire by Israeli soldiers against civilians trying to access food is unjustifiable,” the French foreign ministry said, while Spain’s foreign minister called the deaths “unacceptable.”

Is this a different event than the one earlier in the week that was blamed on a strike from the Israeli Navy? 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Can you tell me what I'm looking for here? This is a live feed from Foxnews and they are covering the Philly mayor. This could be my fault, I'm pretty dumb. 

Edited by Da Fino

7 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Can you tell me what I'm looking for here? This is a live feed from Foxnews and they are covering the Philly mayor. This could be my fault, I'm pretty dumb. 

I mean, it's a Fox news feed.  I presume that you'll be getting blurred pics of Hunter Biden's dong on your screen every 15-20 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

Good question, it was on Youtube and when I linked it was showing humanitarian aid being directed to Hamas and Palestinian crowds trying to get to it. The convoy panicked and ran over a bunch of people, chaos ensued with people getting trampled and heading towards an Israeli tank and post. Warning shots were fired and people kept rushing towards it and about 10 people were shot.

Posted (edited)

Despite the glib assertions by many that Bushnell’s self-immolation was in vain, his act has had deep resonance around the world as today at Friday prayers in the Arab world. Just like Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor who started the Arab spring, Bushnell has started something big.

Edited by Macklemore

On 2/29/2024 at 10:56 AM, Skipper said:

It does appear Hamas has no desire for a ceasefire and the above is in fact their strategy.  Not sure Israel has done a great job of making this clear on the PR front.  

Terrorists acting like terrorists, news at 11. It's pretty disgusting seeing people in this very thread talking as though Hamas=2 million Palestinians and who are totally cool with collective punishment.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don't like it, but the US has led mediation in this region for decades and likely doesn't want to agree to positions on these types of resolutions. This country is also still overwhelmingly pro-Israel without much critical thinking and politicians in the US can't support this stuff without the reflexive "anti-Semite" response.

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, not sure about that. If so why did he not release it before his lit himself on fire?

Maybe because he didn’t want to risk the lives of American soldiers in Gaza or violate the confidentiality protocols he was required to adhere with. If anything, the fact that he didn’t should be a credit to his character.

23 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Despite the glib assertions by many that Bushnell’s self-immolation was in vain, his act has had deep resonance around the world as today at Friday prayers in the Arab world. Just like Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor who started the Arab spring, Bushnell has started something big.

spacer.png

• Fuck You 3

31 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

spacer.png

What kind of fucking monster posts something like this? The dude died, no matter what you or I think about his motivations or mental state, he was a US service member and didn't hurt anyone but himself. Good thing your username change can't hide what a piece of shit you are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Maybe because he didn’t want to risk the lives of American soldiers in Gaza or violate the confidentiality protocols he was required to adhere with. If anything, the fact that he didn’t should be a credit to his character.

Could be, but if he really felt that strongly and if true then it is odd he did not release it to someone else.

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden announced Friday that the U.S. will drop food aid into the Gaza Strip, noting that the humanitarian aid flowing into the region for Palestinians is insufficient.

“Aid flowing into Gaza is nowhere nearly enough… lives are on the line,” Biden said as he announced the decision about the airdrops during an Oval Office meeting he was holding with Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

“We should be getting hundreds of trucks in, not just several,” he continued. “We’re going to pull out every stop we can.”

The president reiterated that the U.S. is trying to push for an immediate cease-fire between Hamas and Israel to allow more aid into Gaza, where he said “innocent people” have died.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-announces-us-will-airdrop-food-aid-gaza-rcna141436

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Or maybe because what you are saying is bull shit. 

Door # 2 with a wiiiiiide lead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1