Maybe we need an Argentina thread too

C-Man

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Milei went to Davos and is shitting in the WEF's cereal bowl:

Milei speech starts @ 6 minute mark.

He's more articulate and consistent (at least so far in these very early days) than other right wing leaders, whether that comparison is made to the present day or the last century in South America.  

The wave of privatization and de-regulation is the opposite direction of authoritarianism, unless there's a Putin-esque quid pro quo with the aristocracy/oligarchy.  If he ramps of the nationalist populism and liberal use of the military, then maybe the comparisons to Pinochet won't be inaccurate.  Argentina is racially and ethnically homogenous, with a very small indigenous minority, and Afro-Argentine descendants of slaves are also a tiny minority.  So the left/right divide is seen less along racial lines, which makes this less of a social experiment and more of an economic one, at least as much as those can be disentangled.  In other words, the oppressed/oppressor dichotomy is much more difficult to define and frame as a political movement in Argentina.  No one can even agree whether Peronism, the dominant faction in Argentine politics for the last 80 years, is left or right wing, and I think that's what makes it kind of confusing for people observing Argentina right now.  Either way, it was time to move on from the Peronistas.  That had become an incoherent mishmash of left/right populism, corporatism, and corruption.   

Argentina has needed a political enema for decades.  I don't know if this is going to work, or if they're going to end up worse off than before, but something needed to be shaken loose.  That's going to come with a lot near-term volatility as markets evolve.  But I am interested to see what happens with this experiment.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Homeboy flew commercial to Davos. That's pretty cool and populist IMO.

image.thumb.png.8d1f74de78f50014cc6d85b44564a655.png

Passengers on a Lufthansa flight were startled yesterday (Tuesday) when Argentina’s new president boarded, just like everyone else. Flying to Davos with a small entourage, Milei happily posed for selfies and chatted with passengers, retweeting the above pic with an explanation of his cost-saving flight.

His Davos program will include a meeting with the head of the IMF, to which Argentina owes a record $44B.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

American libertarians are cheering him on, so I've got a pretty good idea of where his experiment will end up.

I think this is the power of labels.  At the beginning of that Davos speech, his description of libertarianism sounds almost identical to the Federalist Papers.  I think a lot of disgust with Libertarians in the US (including from me) is the propensity to hide behind Hamiltonian descriptions of society while they're trying to justify their right to marry a 7 year old. Or other vile shit.  Then there are the MAGA folks who use a Libertarian wrapper to help their twitter following by making them seem edgelord-y, like oooohhh you're such an independent thinker, when in reality it's just an expedient ideology to hide sociopathic selfishness.  

Anyway, maybe you're right and Millei devolves into that.  We'll see.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 9:55 AM, Biff Tannen said:

My co-worker announced last week that she's taking her big vacation this year to Argentina.  I'm guessing she doesn't pay much attention to the news.

Is it any more unsafe than it's been for many years. I'd go to Buenos Aires or a hunting/fishing trip to Cordoba tomorrow if I could swing it.

1 hour ago, ryskey said:

I think this is the power of labels.  At the beginning of that Davos speech, his description of libertarianism sounds almost identical to the Federalist Papers.  I think a lot of disgust with Libertarians in the US (including from me) is the propensity to hide behind Hamiltonian descriptions of society while they're trying to justify their right to marry a 7 year old. Or other vile shit.  Then there are the MAGA folks who use a Libertarian wrapper to help their twitter following by making them seem edgelord-y, like oooohhh you're such an independent thinker, when in reality it's just an expedient ideology to hide sociopathic selfishness.  

Anyway, maybe you're right and Millei devolves into that.  We'll see.  

I'm morbidly curious to see how this whole thing plays out. And you're right -- Libertarians in the US are (mostly) Republicans who secretly like a lot of the vile shit Trump stands for.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Is it any more unsafe than it's been for many years. I'd go to Buenos Aires or a hunting/fishing trip to Cordoba tomorrow if I could swing it.

I'm morbidly curious to see how this whole thing plays out. And you're right -- Libertarians in the US are (mostly) Republicans who secretly like a lot of the vile shit Trump stands for.

I don’t see it as unsafe necessarily, but just chaotic with a government and economy that will do god knows what. I’ve never been though, so maybe talking out of my ass. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t see it as unsafe necessarily, but just chaotic with a government and economy that will do god knows what. I’ve never been though, so maybe talking out of my ass. 

every american should visit once 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

There's a strong national identity that will keep Argentina more or less functional in the midst of any political instability.  They expect it and shrug it better than they probably should.  Just bring US dollars. 

There's property crime but no worse than most major American cities.  Violent crime also similar to US average.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ryskey said:

There's a strong national identity that will keep Argentina more or less functional in the midst of any political instability.  They expect it and shrug it better than they probably should.  Just bring US dollars. 

There's property crime but no worse than most major American cities.  Violent crime also similar to US average.

User name is suspect

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/19/2024 at 8:32 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Let's not forget that there are actual people slllll suffering here. 

For a long, long time.

Just watched the speech.  Hopefully he is earnest.  Strongly agree with much of the speech.

If he can successfully pull off the directional change for Argentina, Buenos Aires should probably be renamed for him.  80 years of going in one direction is going to be a ton of inertia.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

To be fair wrt fisting and Vaseline you really can’t mention one without the other 

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Only if you’re a coward.

Any sexual act that requires lubricants should use water based lubricants.

Anything else can lead to infection, inflammation, and irritation.

In addition, not using lubricants can lead to trauma to the areas affected which also leads to an increased risk of STI and potential injury.

Let's be safe, healthy, and consensual out there folks. There's only so many hours/minutes/seconds in a day to get your dick or lady parts wet (is it person parts now?)... savor every one of them.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1