Wulaw Horn

Just now, FreeHorn said:

It’s nice for out of town folks but makes sure you tell them to go to the right location. If they don’t know they might end up at the Round Rock location which doesn’t have any of the benefits of the trip to the original. 

I didn't even know there was a round rock location but good point.

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fair point. It is likely someone coming from the ugly state of Utah will be blown away by the unmatched beauty of the tract homes between Austin and Driftwood.

LOL.  Look, I'm a BBQ snob in Dallas b/c we have a pretty garbage BBQ scene outside of a handful of places.  But if I could pack a cooler of Shiner and drive 30 mins to eat average BBQ and drink in the Hill country I would do it at least 2X/year.  Y'all are spoiled.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Skipper said:

LOL.  Look, I'm a BBQ snob in Dallas b/c we have a pretty garbage BBQ soon outside of a handful of places.  But if I could pack a cooler of Shiner and drive 30 mins to eat average BBQ and drink in the Hill country I would do it at least 2X/year.  Y'all are spoiled.

I wouldn't say spoiled. I would say better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Well it's your lucky week you are playing our defense who, without looking at a single stat to back up my assumption, seems to do decent at stopping 3rd and short.  But we love to give up 3rd and long (at least we did last week).

As for food recs, Matt's El Rancho is still my favorite in Austin when I come in for a game although I'm sure locals may have different opinions.  BBQ - I'll let others chime in that know the current state of play better than I do but hard to go wrong in Austin.

I never liked Matt's. My family's first on the Tex-Mex list was always La Tapatia on East 7th Street back in the 70s-80s.

La Tapatia has been gone for many years, just like Cafe Adobe has been gone for many years.

Tex-Mex these days has these choices that I enjoy and more:
Chuy's
Valencia Tex-Mex Garage
Torchy's
Velvet Taco
Serrano's
Pappasito's
Vazquez Restaurant
El Arroyo (I used to work a block away and started many a morning with their breakfast tacos.)

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't care what any of you bizarrely angry BBQ foodie dorks say, Salt Lick, for tourists who have never been, is a good recommendation. 

I love all the transplants here in Texas now that try to tell native Texans like myself what good BBQ is.

It makes me want to open a shit-BBQ chain to get rich off the tourists and transplants. Lulz.

Food talk not going away.  Lulz.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  Look, I'm a BBQ snob in Dallas b/c we have a pretty garbage BBQ scene outside of a handful of places.  But if I could pack a cooler of Shiner and drive 30 mins to eat average BBQ and drink in the Hill country I would do it at least 2X/year.  Y'all are spoiled.

It's all relative isn't it?  I'm a Georgia resident and would kill for cold soggy Sonny Bryan's.

Salt Lick is perfectly fine for out-of-towners.  It's a great overall experience and the BBQ is still going to be the best they've ever had.  The shittest BBQ in Centex is basically the best BBQ anywhere else.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I love all the transplants here in Texas now that try to tell native Texans like myself what good BBQ is.

It makes me want to open a shit-BBQ chain to get rich off the tourists and transplants. Lulz.

Food talk not going away.  Lulz.

Reminds me of a joint I stopped at outside San Antonio driving eastbound I-10 many years back. Billboard said, "World's Best BBQ", or something like that. I was hungry and thought, that's a bold statement for a BBQ joint in central Texas - gotta try it. It was awful. Brisket was roasted, not smoked. Sausage was subpar. Didn't even have good sauce to compensate. As I drove away, I concluded they must draw in a lot of fresh suckers like me with that sign to stay in business. Location being on I-10 probably what made that possible.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you are in Austin and willingly go to Chuy's for Tex Mex.....

You have to keep in perspective of where people are coming from. I have been to Utah and seen what they call Mexican food. It is low end, but it is an austin original and nostalgic. If it were so terrible you wouldn't have to line up at 4:30 PM for a table. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You have to keep in perspective of where people are coming from. I have been to Utah and seen what they call Mexican food. It is low end, but it is an austin original and nostalgic. If it were so terrible you wouldn't have to line up at 4:30 PM for a table. 

The closest I've gotten to Tex-Mex in the West (Henderson, Nevada--next to Vega$, Phoenix, AZ, and nocal/socal) is Chevy's Fresh-Mex.

Hit Juan in a million on the east side for the Don Juan breakfast taco and a hearty handshake.

Just my unpopular opinion, but here is what I would do (doubt I could handle it these days).

Saturday, go to Leroy and Lewis at 11am. Get some beef cheeks, brisket, sausage and barbacado (assuming there are a few people in the party).

Go to the game (if you are Mormon, prepare your anus too).

For dinner, Enchiladas y Más.

Sunday morning, Juan in a Million.

Get on plane and punish the toilet and everyone in the flight.
Football talk never coming back.

What is left to talk about?

BYU is slow and suck.
Texas is starting a redshirt freshman QB.

We are done here.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just my unpopular opinion, but here is what I would do (doubt I could handle it these days).

Saturday, go to Leroy and Lewis at 11am. Get some beef cheeks, brisket, sausage and barbacado (assuming there are a few people in the party).

Go to the game (if you are Mormon, prepare your anus too).

For dinner, Enchiladas y Más.

Sunday morning, Juan in a Million.

Get on plane and punish the toilet and everyone in the flight.
What is left to talk about?

BYU is slow and suck.
Texas is starting a redshirt freshman QB.

We are done here.

oddball-kellys-heroes.gif.a609fbdc59925d00751336d2d3318c0b.gif

Lulz.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Reminds me of a joint I stopped at outside San Antonio driving eastbound I-10 many years back. Billboard said, "World's Best BBQ", or something like that. I was hungry and thought, that's a bold statement for a BBQ joint in central Texas - gotta try it. 

IMG_5170.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

Tex-Mex these days has these choices that I enjoy more: Chuy's, Valencia Tex-Mex Garage, Torchy's, Velvet Taco, Serrano's, Pappasito's, Vazquez Restaurant, El Arroyo 

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

I realize how locals are going to respond to this, but wife and I go to Trudy's for TexMex when we are in Austin.

33 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

The closest I've gotten to Tex-Mex in the West (Henderson, Nevada--next to Vega$, Phoenix, AZ, and nocal/socal) is Chevy's Fresh-Mex.

Comidor Guadalajara when in Phoenix.  Henderson has some excellent food in general, but it's been at least a decade and a half.

Edited by JBJ

Salt Lick = Matt's. Same deal. Big fun locally-grown tourist joint that still beats 99% of places out of state. Fine option to have when all else fails, or you need a place for twenty people without a reservation.

Pity us too far away to go there right now. Damn.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

I never liked Matt's. My family's first on the Tex-Mex list was always La Tapatia on East 7th Street back in the 70s-80s.

La Tapatia has been gone for many years, just like Cafe Adobe has been gone for many years.

Tex-Mex these days has these choices that I enjoy and more:
Chuy's
Valencia Tex-Mex Garage
Torchy's
Velvet Taco
Serrano's
Pappasito's
Vazquez Restaurant
El Arroyo (I used to work a block away and started many a morning with their breakfast tacos.)

This may be the worst take in the history of the board 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1