NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

34 minutes ago, Blotto said:

It is nowhere close to being the oldest arena in the NBA (https://arenadigest.com/2020/01/08/nba-arenas-oldest-to-newest-2020-update/) Its also not the smallest (https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nba/biggest-nba-arenas-ranking-nba-arenas-by-capacity-bm05/). But other than that, your first sentence is spot on. 

I think my man misspelled shittiest. 

It's an easy pill to swallow for OKC because this was an old tax to rejuvenate downtown (MAPS I think) that was about to expire... They will just extend it.  Also the Thunder just mean a whole lot more to that shitty city than teams do in major metros.  Miami would barely notice if the heat left.  That's Miami.  The NFL left LA for a few years and you'd never know it.  I think we're comparing apples to oranges asking certain cities to pay vs cities that can tell these leagues and owners to fuck off. . 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think my man misspelled shittiest. 

It's an easy pill to swallow for OKC because this was an old tax to rejuvenate downtown (MAPS I think) that was about to expire... They will just extend it.  Also the Thunder just mean a whole lot more to that shitty city than teams do in major metros.  Miami would barely notice if the heat left.  That's Miami.  The NFL left LA for a few years and you'd never know it.  I think we're comparing apples to oranges asking certain cities to pay vs cities that can tell these leagues and owners to fuck off. . 

This.  It's either the oldest, one of the oldest, or the oldest without renovation or something.  Either way, it's unchanged since 2001 or whenever it was built.

But to your point, this is part of MAPS 4.0 (literally 4.0) and I'd be surprised if it fails.  To their credit that city and its voters regularly vote for public spending projects to make the city better for all involved, which is odd considering they're in Oklahoma.  (No CR.  Well, maybe a little.)  They've done more to improve their city over the last 30 years than really any other city in the country.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

they’re playing in chicago and the crowd is going nuts on the refs for that ejection. that ref needs to be relegated to the g league.

Had a few people I know there who are pretty pissed.  There’s average to dogshit teams in most cities and the NBA is lucky that fans show up just to see good teams, even if it’s not their team.  

Wtf is Silver doing?  

Even back in the day when refs rode the fuck out of certain players there weren’t ejections like this.  Get it together, dumbasses.  

9 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

10 games? 20????

i don’t understand how he hasn’t already gotten that type of suspension. he’s a violent player, a straight up thug. some team needs to sign a goon to a 10-day and have him take out draymond for the betterment and safety of the league.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Yeah, I'm fucking done. He has to go. His game can no longer justify "taking the bad with the good", and he's gotten even more violent to compensate. He's going to seriously hurt someone, and it's not like the Warriors are winning a championship this year. Keeping him--without seriously punishing him and publicly placing him on a zero tolerance rule from this point forward--would be cowardice.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Brutal. That 5-man lineup was the best high usage lineup in the NBA last year. It just went to shit the second anyone on the bench had to play.

Wiggins showed up to camp out of shape, which I'm sure Golden State loved after he missed 3 months due to personal reasons last season.

Dray, even in his prime, only had a half-step to lose, and he's well past that. He can't carry an elite defense anymore.

And the cliff that Klay has fallen off of that began in last year's playoffs has been depressing as shit. Despite the injuries, he made his career high in threes last regular season. He wasn't the defender or midrange threat that he used to be, but he was still Klay fucking Thompson and could get you 22 hoisting threes at 41%. His contract negotiations are going to be super uncomfortable.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Brutal. That 5-man lineup was the best high usage lineup in the NBA last year. It just went to shit the second anyone on the bench had to play.

Wiggins showed up to camp out of shape, which I'm sure Golden State loved after he missed 3 months due to personal reasons last season.

Dray, even in his prime, only had a half-step to lose, and he's well past that. He can't carry an elite defense anymore.

And the cliff that Klay has fallen off of that began in last year's playoffs has been depressing as shit. Despite the injuries, he made his career high in threes last regular season. He wasn't the defender or midrange threat that he used to be, but he was still Klay fucking Thompson and could get you 22 hoisting threes at 41%. His contract negotiations are going to be super uncomfortable.

The Warriors stars need to understand that if they wanna be like San Antonio and keep the window open through their later years, they will have to take pay cuts like Tim/Tony/Manu did.

• Like 1

Props to Nurkic and his teammates for not going HAM on Draymond. That could’ve been much worse. Dude has got to go. This is a career of cheap shots at this point and he’s going to seriously injure someone if the league doesn’t put their foot down. Also, lol at Kerr saying he didn’t see the incident when there’s video of him staring at the replay on the screen. These guys can’t even lie convincingly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Green needs a massive suspension. 15 games at minimum

Dude has had multiple suspensions in his career and hasn't learned to stop with the groin kicks and WWE moves.  He should be banned from the league at this point before he seriously injures someone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

The Warriors stars need to understand that if they wanna be like San Antonio and keep the window open through their later years, they will have to take pay cuts like Tim/Tony/Manu did.

I don't think there's much of a window left. Curry probably has a few more good seasons in him but Klay and Dray are starting to look pretty washed - physically and mentally, respectively. 

They could maybe put together one more good team around Curry but it's going to be tricky. 

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dude has had multiple suspensions in his career and hasn't learned to stop with the groin kicks and WWE moves.  He should be banned from the league at this point before he seriously injures someone. 

He’s played in 15 games this year and has been ejected 3 times. The league needs to put the hammer down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Also with Draymond i dont think the NBA suspending him will do much. At this point i think the suspension needs to come from the Warriors.

This. A league suspension won't do shit as long as the team tacitly still supports him and Kerr keeps saying things like, "We need him." Need him to what? Lose in 5 games in the 2nd round?

You could at least explain the Gobert thing. They have a petty history, he thought he was defending a teammate, and got caught up in the moment and overreacted. Not a great excuse, but at least it was something. And it's not like he was going to snap Gobert's neck or choke him out...he was just making an ass of himself.

This was a totally innocuous, normal basketball play away from the ball where he purposely swung high and hard, not caring what he hit. IMO, the worst incident of his career so far.

His trade market is probably non-existent. Can't think of a single team who could convince themselves that they were one rapidly deteriorating veteran who can't shoot and who you can't control away from being a contender.

• Like 1

Kerr and the Warriors only have themselves to blame now. They enabled and excused the behavior for so long because he helped them win. Now he can't play anymore and you reap what you sow. It just sounds like that locker room needs a couple of come to jesus moments. Klay needs to understand his value and if he doesnt, bye. Draymond as well. I don't have much faith in Kerr to do that, though. He's been spineless and mealy-mouthed through all of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Kerr and the Warriors only have themselves to blame now. They enabled and excused the behavior for so long because he helped them win. Now he can't play anymore and you reap what you sow. It just sounds like that locker room needs a couple of come to jesus moments. Klay needs to understand his value and if he doesnt, bye. Draymond as well. I don't have much faith in Kerr to do that, though. He's been spineless and mealy-mouthed through all of it.

Away from the cameras, Kerr and Draymond's relationship has always been contentious to the point of probably a dozen confirmed shouting/swearing matches. If it were up to Steve, I'm guessing they would have come down harder on him years ago, but it's always been suspected that Draymond's biggest supporters are in management, and Kerr has to act as their mouthpiece. But, Bob Myer, the guy who drafted him, isn't there anymore, so we'll see.

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Props to Nurkic and his teammates for not going HAM on Draymond. That could’ve been much worse. Dude has got to go. This is a career of cheap shots at this point and he’s going to seriously injure someone if the league doesn’t put their foot down. Also, lol at Kerr saying he didn’t see the incident when there’s video of him staring at the replay on the screen. These guys can’t even lie convincingly.

Steve Kerr is such a colossal douche.  Suns' DJ dude used Steve's own complaints in his pre-game mix last night.  Fuckin' hilarious...

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Away from the cameras, Kerr and Draymond's relationship has always been contentious to the point of probably a dozen confirmed shouting/swearing matches. If it were up to Steve, I'm guessing they would have come down harder on him years ago, but it's always been suspected that Draymond's biggest supporters are in management, and Kerr has to act as their mouthpiece. But, Bob Myer, the guy who drafted him, isn't there anymore, so we'll see.

I wanna say Bob was on the pregame show before one of the tournament games and his sense of their value was way too high. He seemed to think Klay can still get it done at a really high level.....i didn't find his analysis of the situation very cogent.

Chuck basically saying what I did a few weeks ago: looks like a dude who's incredibly frustrated that he can no longer play at the level that he used to and lashing out at dudes that are now pushing him around. So it's only going to get worse unless Golden State comes down hard on him.

Frankly, Steph needs to say something too. He usually tries to stay above the fray, and avoids criticizing Draymond, probably the single most important teammate in Steph and Golden State's rise. Dray got paid because Steph wants him there. Steph is that franchise...if Draymond knows the Steph is still in his corner, of course he feels bulletproof.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You guys made those jokes before 2022 as well. Just saying.

Nah, it's over.

They really had their chances to keep it going, too. It was unprecedented that a team in contention got all those high picks while they were still competing for championships. You can pretty much play this game with any team and draft, but what would have happened if the lottery balls fell their way and they got Anthony Edwards instead of the #2 pick in Wiseman? What would this team look like if they had taken Halliburton or Ball instead of Wiseman? Or how about Franz Wagner instead of Kuminga and Sengun instead of Moody?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1