NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

Kings should feel pretty shitty with how that half ended. Won the offensive rebound battle 9 to 1 and the Warriors had 9 turnovers. Leading to 13 more shot attempts for Sac. Steph's been quiet. Klay has been abysmal. They should be up 15, not 4.

Two aggressively mediocre basketball teams.

I do. If you aren't in the top 8 after 82 games, then you deserve to sit at home. But money talks so this will never go away.

I like it. Teams try hard to get out of the play in the latter half of the season. I do think there should be stipulations. Win 47-48-49 games? You’re in and just play for seeding.
If the 7/8 are 5 games up on the 9/10, then scrap the 9/10 game. Non34 win team should have a shot at the playoffs
Kings should feel pretty shitty with how that half ended. Won the offensive rebound battle 9 to 1 and the Warriors had 9 turnovers. Leading to 13 more shot attempts for Sac. Steph's been quiet. Klay has been abysmal. They should be up 15, not 4.
Two aggressively mediocre basketball teams.

Haven’t seen much of this so far, but klay 0fer? Yikes. This his last season as a warrior?
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haven’t seen much of this so far, but klay 0fer? Yikes. This his last season as a warrior?

If he's not willing to take an extremely team-friendly contract, yeah. Warriors' owners are finally very serious about not being deep into the luxury tax. Can't blame them, obviously, for a team going nowhere. Not sure what Klay's value is on the open market at this point in his career. How many teams truly need an old guy whose primary skill (now that his defense has declined) is hoisting threes?

Klay not making a single shot if this is his last game as a Warrior would be a bummer.

Edited by aggie08

The more interesting question going forward is will Steph be the loyal soldier and toil away on teams fighting for play-in spots from now on, so he can retire a Warrior? His days of being able to truly carry a playoff team on his back are over, but he's still got a few years of being a phenomenal #2 if he wants to still compete for titles somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

The more interesting question going forward is will Steph be the loyal soldier and toil away on teams fighting for play-in spots from now on, so he can retire a Warrior? His days of being able to truly carry a playoff team on his back are over, but he's still got a few years of being a phenomenal #2 if he wants to still compete for titles somewhere.

I wish he would go somewhere else I’d like to root for em but I hate everything about the warriors. 

On 4/9/2024 at 9:19 PM, aggie08 said:

I don't care how hot the Warriors finish the regular season--most teams playing for seeding win a bunch down the stretch with half the league either resting stars or packing for Cancun--they're still not very good, and they're not getting past the first round, if they even get there 

...but damn it's at least nice to see Klay return to form over the second half of the season. Dude looked absolutely done a few months ago.

Welp, Klay managed to completely undo all the positive sentiment he ended the season with in one game. Dynasties don't typically end gracefully, I guess.

10 seeds being 0-6 in the play-in does make you question its existence. 

It does at least give Sacramento the historic opportunity to lose to the same team 6 times in the same season, none of them playoff games.

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

10 seeds being 0-6 in the play-in does make you question its existence. 

It does at least give Sacramento the historic opportunity to lose to the same team 6 times in the same season, none of them playoff games.

An 8-9 Play-in would probably be more practical, but they want the extra games with the elimination games ala NCAA Tournament style of play. It's a big draw, gets people to watch what would otherwise be snoozer 1v8 and 2v7 series. It's an entertainment product and all, I don't see an issue with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I like the play in, a lot. You get fewer teams tanking. You get meaningful games with teams jockeying for seeding. You get a chance to still make the playoffs if your star gets hurt early in the season but comes back. You get competitive win or go home games. I really don’t understand the criticism. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I like the play in, a lot. You get fewer teams tanking. You get meaningful games with teams jockeying for seeding. You get a chance to still make the playoffs if your star gets hurt early in the season but comes back. You get competitive win or go home games. I really don’t understand the criticism. 
Then shorten the regular season. Makes zero sense to play 82 games and tell the 7th and 8th seeds they still have to fight for their spots vs the 9th and 10th seeds at the end.

The Warriors had no business even competing for a playoff spot and last night proved that.

It's just a silly gimmick used to fill more tv time before the real playoffs start. About as silly as the mid season tournament.

• Hook 'Em 1

OKC were huge winners last night. They get LA and DEN to beat each other up and get to play the NO/SAC winner. 

PHO also made out like bandits. Avoided the play in and they get a MIN team that can be had that they match up well with. 

I think every series is gonna be fun except maybe the 1/8.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

0-10 for Thompson 

He’s been stealing 💰 since the injuries 

His two-way play was essential to them winning the title after he came back from his injuries in 2022.

He hit the most threes of his career last year on 41% shooting.

But yes, he was awful against the Lakers in last year's playoffs, and he was awful for the bulk of this season and obviously not worth his current salary anymore.

I'm not sure he's worth ~$12M per moving forward, and I'm also betting he'd be way too insulted to take it. Can't think of a team that would pay him any more than that though.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

His two-way play was essential to them winning the title after he came back from his injuries in 2022.

He hit the most threes of his career last year on 41% shooting.

But yes, he was awful against the Lakers in last year's playoffs, and he was awful for the bulk of this season and obviously not worth his current salary anymore.

I'm not sure he's worth ~$12M per moving forward, and I'm also betting he'd be way too insulted to take it. Can't think of a team that would pay him any more than that though.

I just don’t think that a guy who averages fewer than 20 ppg and added 3.5 rpg for his career is worth $43,000,000 per season. 

Father Time has won.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Then shorten the regular season. Makes zero sense to play 82 games and tell the 7th and 8th seeds they still have to fight for their spots vs the 9th and 10th seeds at the end.

The Warriors had no business even competing for a playoff spot and last night proved that.

It's just a silly gimmick used to fill more tv time before the real playoffs start. About as silly as the mid season tournament.

The Warriors were 10 games over .500. In a normal year, they'd be comfortably locked into the top 8. The West is just fucking loaded this year.

I like the play-in in years like this where there's 10 decent or better teams in a conference. But it's not the norm. I couldn't give the slightest of fucks about the play-in in the Eastern Conference. Though, that's true for their entire playoff bracket until the conference finals.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Of course the regular season needs to be cut to probably 50 games, but that’s never going to happen. They aren’t going to give up the revenue.

Call it a gimmick if you want, but so what? You want more competitive compelling games or less of them? You want more teams tanking or less? You want to have more stars playing meaningful games and having a chance to make a run or less of them?

Maybe the warriors didn’t belong in that game last night, but tell the Sacramento fans that game was meaningless. That’s probably their biggest win in close to 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

This site would be better if there weren't any dipshit Spurs fans posting here.

I'm just used to being let down every year in the postseason in one form or another since 2014. 

Told a Lakers fan I work with that we’d win. They obviously want a shot a Denver because pro athletes don’t think like fans do. This series goes 5 at most unless Jokic decides to leave early to go into horse racing full-time. Should be fun watching our two best players eat their own words all series about wanting to see Denver again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

OKC were huge winners last night. They get LA and DEN to beat each other up and get to play the NO/SAC winner. 

PHO also made out like bandits. Avoided the play in and they get a MIN team that can be had that they match up well with. 

I think every series is gonna be fun except maybe the 1/8.

Yeah, that was huge for OKC after the Spurs beating the Nuggets over the weekend and who knows what's going on with Ingram and Zion?  The Kings would win a few games against them and give them some problems but the Lakers would be 50/50 to beat them if not more.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, that was huge for OKC after the Spurs beating the Nuggets over the weekend and who knows what's going on with Ingram and Zion?  The Kings would win a few games against them and give them some problems but the Lakers would be 50/50 to beat them if not more.

I don't know what to expect from OKC given the youth but that HCA is going to be very real after not being relevant for almost a decade. The talent gap will be large between either 8 seed as well - I think there's a chance OKC whips some ass in R1.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I don't know what to expect from OKC given the youth but that HCA is going to be very real after not being relevant for almost a decade. The talent gap will be large between either 8 seed as well - I think there's a chance OKC whips some ass in R1.

Agree all around.  They don't match up as well with the size of Denver or Minny but they're both on the other side.  That's also a huge score.

Jontay Porter banned from the NBA.  What a brave stance by the league.  Right up there with the NCAA having the courage to level the death penalty on Southeast North Dakota State for flagrantly violating the rules by providing recruits with things like a free Subway sandwich on an unofficial visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ingram looks like some high, disinterested player. They’re about to complete some 18 pt comeback to tie and he’s sitting on bench pouting. I hope sacramento wins. Sac/OKC would be interesting. Keon Ellis has developed into a decent SG with monks absence. That’ll be an up and down series. Sabonis would be a bruiser for Chet

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ingram looks like some high, disinterested player. They’re about to complete some 18 pt comeback to tie and he’s sitting on bench pouting. I hope sacramento wins. Sac/OKC would be interesting. Keon Ellis has developed into a decent SG with monks absence. That’ll be an up and down series. Sabonis would be a bruiser for Chet

Ingram can be so good when he's on.  Everyone except Zion sucked for the Pels last night, though.  And of course the Lakers got their +14 FT differential.

The Punch is where it all unraveled for the Warriors. It was never the same after that. Poole was blamed. The giant elephant in the room of Draymond being a shitty teammate was danced around but never corrected. They probably should have shipped him out but it would have been difficult.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

Ingram can be so good when he's on.  Everyone except Zion sucked for the Pels last night, though.  And of course the Lakers got their +14 FT differential.

Think the only starter with Zion was Herb Jones until his injury. Yea their 7-8-9 guys were far more effective than CJ, BI and JV

I don’t think JV played the second half and I don’t think BI played in the 4th qtr
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pelicans' Zion Williamson out with hamstring injury

New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson has been ruled out of Friday's play-in tournament elimination game against the Sacramento Kings with a left hamstring strain, the team announced Wednesday.

The Pelicans said an MRI on Wednesday confirmed the injury and Williamson will be reevaluated in approximately two weeks.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39962919/sources-pelicans-zion-williamson-hamstring-injury