Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

I'm honestly scared they will try and make Ausmus bench coach.  Hoping he has too much pride to accept that.  Don't want Bagwell having that much influence in the dugout.  I actually am cool with him having some level of front office influence.  Just need to keep it in the proper vertical for him

One of my real good buddies is still pissed and won't talk to me over the Dusty & Maldonando situation :)  I can't wait till Maldy is on another roster so I can extend the olive branch knowing that my nightmare is now officially over (or at least transfers to other totems)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad that I was wrong about Espada not looking like the guy. Turns out they didn’t even interview anyone else. I still don’t get the delay in announcing the decision, but I fully support it as the right move. He was the obvious choice from a continuity and respect of the clubhouse perspective (Omar Lopez getting a look would have been fine too - maybe that was part of the consideration/delay).

Anyhow, go Stros. A lot of that window is still open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I was talking overall but you are dead on about the home/away splits. The difference is startling and inexplicable. 

Home  .227/.303/.399

Away   .279/.348/.509

Many years from now we’ll discover that MLB perpetrated a league wide conspiracy to steal signs but only at Minute Maid and only provided to the away teams.  

One of my real good buddies is still pissed and won't talk to me over the Dusty & Maldonando situation   I can't wait till Maldy is on another roster so I can extend the olive branch knowing that my nightmare is now officially over (or at least transfers to other totems)

Is it putt?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Loop Train GIF

Gonna be hard to keep that streak going.  Only chance I see is if an OF emerges in the spring to take an everyday spot and relegate Dubon/Meyers to pure bench duty.  Loperfido, Barber, and Corona are options there.  Otherwise maybe a pitcher like Arrighetti comes up early and is a lights out reliever.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Gonna be hard to keep that streak going.  Only chance I see is if an OF emerges in the spring to take an everyday spot and relegate Dubon/Meyers to pure bench duty.  Loperfido, Barber, and Corona are options there.  Otherwise maybe a pitcher like Arrighetti comes up early and is a lights out reliever.

Come on, ROY is Whitley's to lose.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Come on, ROY is Whitley's to lose.

You joke but if the league rejects their appeal for another option year, then he will have a major leg up on a roster spot to open the year.  Stranger things have happened than a dude who throws 98+ having sudden major success in the bullpen after a minor league career riddled with injuries and inconsistency.

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

How many ABs did Julks get?

He got 323 pa.  Alvarez only got 496, so half of those would go to Alvarez if he stays healthy.  McCormick only got 457, so the other half should have gone to him.

But in an ideal world I don’t think Dubon gets 492 pa and Meyers gets less than 341.  So there’s definitely room for a near-everyday OF in the lineup.  I haven’t totally written off Meyers, and if they stick with him I will be hopeful that he can put up a career year and finish as a 2.5+ win/yr player.  But I am pretty confident that 2023 was peak Dubon and that asking him to significantly improve on that is probably unrealistic.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, WBT said:

It was just a joke about whether he still met rookie requirements.  I know that he does not.

Well if he’d ridden the bench like he should instead of getting starts over Diaz, he might still be eligible AND Diaz might have gotten ROY.

Still waiting for the day we thank Dusty for that.

• Rage+1 1