Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Well bye gif

Tweet won’t embed. From Hector Gomez
SOURCE: Relief Pitcher Hector Neris is seeking a 3-year, $50 million deal. The #Yankees is showing a lot of interest in him.
Now being reported he is seeking 2 yr 22 mil range
  • Haha 1

The initial excitement of "holy shit the Astros are alive!!!" has worn off and I think the Hader move would be very dumb (unless it signals the beginning of a willingness to spend a shitload, which... lol).

We have a good closer and his replacement already on the roster.  It would be fun as hell to have that backend of the bullpen, but not at the expense of other spots on the roster in the coming years.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Scraps said:
On 1/17/2024 at 12:06 PM, TonyTexas said:
Well bye gif

Tweet won’t embed. From Hector Gomez
SOURCE: Relief Pitcher Hector Neris is seeking a 3-year, $50 million deal. The #Yankees is showing a lot of interest in him.

Now being reported he is seeking 2 yr 22 mil range

Also known as a million less than Montero will be paid over the next 2 seasons.

• Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The initial excitement of "holy shit the Astros are alive!!!" has worn off and I think the Hader move would be very dumb (unless it signals the beginning of a willingness to spend a shitload, which... lol).

We have a good closer and his replacement already on the roster.  It would be fun as hell to have that backend of the bullpen, but not at the expense of other spots on the roster in the coming years.

Upcoming years?  Yeah.  This year?  Bullpen is the only place you can significantly tangibly improve for full year.  You could make a little incremental move for a platoon guy like Joc Pederson to sit Jake against RHP.  But that's going to be a smaller improvement (jake has a great glove even on the days when RHP sends him to an 0-4) than Hader. 

But yeah- it gets dicey after 24 if altuve and bregman doesn't come back and post 25 is nightmare fuel.  

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

All I know is that Dana Brown needs to start doing shit instead of talking about extensions and potential signings.

when you you have an ace like this in your pocket you don’t need to make moves. we’re letting the rest of mlb think they have a chance ….

if i was that close to greatness, I’d pass out 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

when you you have an ace like this in your pocket you don’t need to make moves. we’re letting the rest of mlb think they have a chance ….

if i was that close to greatness, I’d pass out 

23 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Welp, not my money!

I hope they bring McCullers back as a RP.  Adding him to a 5 headed monster of Hader, Pressly, Abreu, Montero, and Whitley could make for an insane bullpen for thru 2025.

• Like 1

Wow, I had to go verify that tweet wasn't a fake account just to be sure. Can't believe they just added 19 million a year to the payroll.

Let's hope this means they are about to move Montero somewhere else...

Edit: by the way, is there any sort of cap relief for the team when a player goes on IR for the year like Graveman did? 8 million is a good chunk of change.  I know in the NBA a team can apply for an exception, and they are often rewarded with a 50% of the cost of that player reduced from their cap calculation that year. They still have to pay the injured player their money, but they can use that free space for free agents, traded players or to reduce their tax hit.  

Edited by Dutchrudder

15 minutes ago, Scraps said:
26 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
So trade Pressly?

Fuck no. He is gonna be gone soon anyway

Came here to ponder on this also.  

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Is this good? This seems good.

Lol sent the same text to my dad and friends.

Let's add a SP now.

If he wanted to duck back below the tax… 

Trade Montero and Urquidy for a low level lotto ticket. 

or- trade Garcia and McCullers to a team like the Mets- 

both those deals probably net out to neutral or better combined value with some upside to the contracts for the receiving team. I’d hate the second deal and be just fine with the first one. 
I’d rather they say fuck the tax though and go sign Brandon  Belt to a 1 year 12M deal. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

There are some dumb front offices out there, but none that are dumb enough to take the Montero contract off our hands.

The Angels are pretty dumb, maybe they can find a way to send Montero, Graveman's dead money, McCullers and Meyers to them for Trout! TIME TO GO ALL IN!!!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

There are some dumb front offices out there, but none that are dumb enough to take the Montero contract off our hands.

Did you see the Cards give 37 million combined to 3 really shitty and washed up starters?

if you duck taped Montero to Urquidy someone would do it.