THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

Liberty wasn’t the 12th seed in the final CFP. It was OU.
https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2023/12/3/cfp-rankings-2023-1203.aspx

James Franklin might a secret genius. Beginning in 2024, lose to Michigan and Ohio State, win the other 10 games and make the CFP every single year. 

I think the 12-team playoff guarantees a berth for all Power 5 conference champs and the top-ranked G5 team, which is Liberty by a hair over SMU.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, troph said:

All of this but also both Bama and Texas elevated with bama’s win. Without that Bama goes down a notch as does Texas. No longer can Texas claim a win over the SEC champs which was probably a huge factor. I guess I believe the article but Bama and Texas were tied at the hip and our two wins plus FSU unimpressive win was the perfect combo for chaos.  Bama loses there is no chaos and we are wishing for do overs on the last OU drive in Dallas.

0% chance Texas is in over FSU if Georgia won. This was about the SEC and if you think otherwise, you are a victim of propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I think the 12-team playoff guarantees a berth for all Power 5 conference champs and the top-ranked G5 team, which is Liberty by a hair over SMU.

No, it's the top 5 rated conference champions (down from 6 now that the Pac-12 is the 2Pac and doesn't count). Liberty is the 5th if you consider Washington a Big 10 team because they will be next season. 

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Get ready for bid stealing when some low ranked team upsets someone high ranked who was going to be in anyways and then your bubble bursts. Guaranteed bids should only be for the BIG and SEC going forward. Then maybe 2 spots for the highest ranked conference champions in the lower tier conferences. 

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Get ready for bid stealing when some low ranked team upsets someone high ranked who was going to be in anyways and then your bubble bursts. Guaranteed bids should only be for the BIG and SEC going forward. Then maybe 2 spots for the highest ranked conference champions in the lower tier conferences. 

Yea say Iowa had upset Michigan 2-0. Joey Freshwater would be out on his ass.  

15 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

0% chance Texas is in over FSU if Georgia won. This was about the SEC and if you think otherwise, you are a victim of propaganda. 

In both scenarios I mentioned sec is in. I was simply saying Texas was in because Bama won and it elevated us that much more. I also said if Bama doesn’t win Texas is out because FSU is 13-0 and texas beat 11-2 Bama big fucking deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The second string guy would have been back for the playoffs so they didn't think they were a playoff team before the last game and should have dropped them then.
I think they were waiting to see if FSU's offense would improve in the championship game. We didn't know QB2 was out until close to the end of the week. If he had been in and they played much better than the week before, then they probably go in. Instead it was a shitshow. Maybe they play better with QB2 back for the post-season, or maybe it's still a shitshow. Too risky. So they got dropped a spot.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

James Franklin might a secret genius. Beginning in 2024, lose to Michigan and Ohio State, win the other 10 games and make the CFP every single year. 

In 2011. a 9-7 NY Giants team won the Super Bowl. There is no legitimate claim that they were the best team, not during the regular season. I don't see why teams who aren't ever in the discussion should be playing for the Championship. 

I recognize that my opinion is extremely unpopular.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

If they do that against Georgia they might end up #1 in the Coaches Poll if Michigan and Washington end up losing in the playoff. That's not nothing.

AFCA Coaches Poll

RK
TEAM
REC PTS
TREND
MichiganMichigan(51)
13-0 1535
2 13-0 1482
3 13-0 1358
AlabamaAlabama(3)
12-1 1351
  12-1 1351
6 12-1 1275
7 11-1 1187
8 11-2 1092
9 10-2 1023
-
10 10-2 952
-
11 10-2 932
-
12 10-2 898
-
LSULSU
9-3 796
-
14 9-3 707
15 10-3 642
16 9-3 633
-
17 10-3 426
-
18 9-3 423
SMUSMU
11-2 375
20 13-0 315
21 9-4 299
22 8-4 295
23 8-4 226
-
24 11-2 139
25 11-1 114
-

I hope so.  We could use a split nc again to remind people that this sport is about winning your conference.  National championships have always been beauty contests.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

I hope so.  We could use a split nc again to remind people that this sport is about winning your conference.  National championships have always been beauty contests.

College conferences are trending the same way, into beauty contests

• Rage+1 1

James Franklin losing to osu and Michigan began before 2024.

If we can accept alternative facts and murder people over it, we can let FSU have an alternative playoff.  Seminole fans are just the latest lagging indicator of how fucking stupid this country is.  At least we get to the beat the shit out of  decently smart schools like Washington, and then Michigan.  

5 hours ago, G650 said:

College football has always been part beauty contest. People looking for something else should follow another sport

Agree except for the last part.  College football is fixable…but they’re fighting that improvement tooth and nail in order to limit the flow of where that particular River of cash flows.

I love college football.  I don’t care at all for the business of college football.

Edited by slorch

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

Agree except for the last part.  College football is fixable…but they’re fighting that improvement tooth and nail in order to limit the flow of where that particular River of cash flows.

I love college football.  I don’t care at all for the business of college football.

Those are two entirely different subjects.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Those are two entirely different subjects.

You made them one in your statement, and telling people toGTFO if they don’t like it.

The game of college football is awesome.  The way it is run is fucked up and corrupt.

Edited by slorch

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

Personally I loved the beauty contest aspect and it worked for what it was. The 12 team playoff is going to remove a lot of what made CFB special and unique. OSU-MICH would have been basically worthless this year.

Plus look at TCU last year, an objectively great season that ended in ridicule. They beat Michigan, just like they beat Wisconsin that one time. If that had been the last game of the year everyone goes home feeling good.

We are going to spend all offseason bitching and forgetting the Big 12 title if we lose. Its now Championship or you're trash 

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Personally I loved the beauty contest aspect and it worked for what it was. The 12 team playoff is going to remove a lot of what made CFB special and unique. OSU-MICH would have been basically worthless this year.

The beauty contest is and was trash, the bowl system is the biggest joke in the world.  Multiple teams claiming MNCs?  Never settling it on the field?  Yuck.

OSU/UM will still have a lot of meaning.  Getting the conference championship for one, getting over on your rival, and getting a top 4 seed bye.  That bye is huge, it's one fewer game to win to win it all.

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Plus look at TCU last year, an objectively great season that ended in ridicule. They beat Michigan, just like they beat Wisconsin that one time. If that had been the last game of the year everyone goes home feeling good.

We are going to spend all offseason bitching and forgetting the Big 12 title if we lose. Its now Championship or you're trash 

Next year they have no divisions…

So you want to talk about worthless…undefeated Ohio St vs undefeated Michigan on Nov 25th will literally mean nothing.

undefeated Michigan v one loss tOSU in Dec 2nd decides who will get the conference title and the first round bye.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

The sport of college football is a beauty contest. That's literally the sport. It has nothing to do with how it's run (and it's clearly plenty fucked up how it's being run).

Anyone that thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves.

Yep

Most pro leagues have 30ish teams.

College football has 134 (70 in the P5).

College basketball has 360 or so.

You can’t say these things are the same.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

52 minutes ago, G650 said:

The sport of college football is a beauty contest. That's literally the sport. It has nothing to do with how it's run (and it's clearly plenty fucked up how it's being run).

Anyone that thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves.

Well it isn't in the lower CFB leagues.  Somehow there's never a bit of controversy in FCS ball and nobody gives a flying fuck about SOS, the eye test, or completion percentages.  I wonder why.

5 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Well it isn't in the lower CFB leagues.  Somehow there's never a bit of controversy in FCS ball and nobody gives a flying fuck about SOS, the eye test, or completion percentages.  I wonder why.

Because it's a wholly different thing than FBS football

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

OSU-MICH would have been basically worthless this year.

Not even close. A better attempted example would be TX/OU because we lost but still won the conference and were top 4 (so a bye next year) while the team that won would have missed the 12 team playoff. But you know what? We lost our rivalry game, we are still pissed off about it, they are rightfully happy about it and within their rights to talk shit about it, and it will still mean as much as it ever has next October. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

But it shouldn't be, right?

There are a gazillion FCS teams in like 13 conferences.  They have a legitimate playoff system and everyone is happy with it.  

It's what needs to happen in FBS.  Make two conferences with some divisions.  Winners go to the conference playoff (with some wildcard spots thrown in).  Conference champs play for the Natty.  Simple.  Effective.  Probably will never happen because it would mean the people at the top giving up the power to unilaterally do shit like keep a blue-blood undefeated program out because they won't bring in the same TV money.

4 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

But it shouldn't be, right?

There are a gazillion FCS teams in like 13 conferences.  They have a legitimate playoff system and everyone is happy with it.  

It's what needs to happen in FBS.  Make two conferences with some divisions.  Winners go to the conference playoff (with some wildcard spots thrown in).  Conference champs play for the Natty.  Simple.  Effective.  Probably will never happen because it would mean the people at the top giving up the power to unilaterally do shit like keep a blue-blood undefeated program out because they won't bring in the same TV money.

It has nothing to do with should or shouldn't. FCS teams don't have the same disparity as FBS teams, that is the difference. But don't misunderstand me, I have been a playoff proponent since the 90's. It will take getting to the 12 team next year to finally realize a semblance of that goal because 4 teams doesn't capture every conference. The thing people need to understand though is that it will fundamentally make college football a different sport than it has been for 100+ years.

FWIW I honestly can't recall an undefeated blue blood being kept out.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

It has nothing to do with should or shouldn't. FCS teams don't have the same disparity as FBS teams, that is the difference. But don't misunderstand me, I have been a playoff proponent since the 90's. It will take getting to the 12 team next year to finally realize a semblance of that goal because 4 teams doesn't capture every conference. The thing people need to understand though is that it will fundamentally make college football a different sport than it has been for 100+ years.

What changed it was the internet. Before everybody was off in their little regional bubble and that made the old system kind of compelling. But any semblance of it sucks now. We aren't little regional football cultures anymore. We need a national playoff system. And things like voting on the Heisman has become a joke. Writers don't even support a local guy anymore because now the see the other candidates every single week and we have the internet and ESPN spreading the national narratives all the time.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

The FCS gives autobids to conference champs and IS STILL A BEAUTY PAGEANT for their at large teams…just like the basketball tournament. Just nobody nationally cares about those left out since the field is already bloated.

The NFL gives bids to their division champs and sets criteria for their wildcards. That is not a beauty pageant but that can’t be done the same way in college football, because FBS does NOT have the same parity as the NFL. To do this the P4 would need to breakaway from the G5 at a minimum to limit the field and then maybe you could get close to NFL scenarios but with salary caps, a draft, transfer portal restrictions it’s still not going to be close to the same.

• Like 2

And nobody gives a shit about those other divisions. The playoffs are happening right now in other divisions and no one cares.

As previously mentioned, the NFL and basketball have significantly less and more teams. Both play more games. That means less variability in the schedule. And there is bitching about March Madness every year anyway.

A 12 team format only makes arguments differ. Why does such and such deserve a bye? Why do they get a home game over us? They’re not worthy of the 12 spot over us. You think the SEC and Big 10 will be satisfied when a G5 gets a spot over their 4th team? I don’t, but who knows.

Best guess is it goes to 64 teams in conferences, and they play it out amongst those in the regular season. Get it down to 8. Then conference winners down to 4. They’ll play games in shitty venues like Att and NRG with lower capacities and less than great environments.

Just now, Had Enough said:

As previously mentioned, the NFL and basketball have significantly less and more teams. Both play more games. That means less variability in the schedule. And there is bitching about March Madness every year anyway.

Yeah. Which shitty sub-.500 Big 10 team got left out. Talk about pitiful bitching.

Go lose in the NIT losers.

It’s going to 12 teams with autobids to the highest ranked 6 champions (likely dropping to 5 with the death of the PAC12).

The SEC and Big Ten champs will always get in and I assume the Big 12 and ACC champ will too, unless they go the way of the Big East.

The controversy over autobids will be at the G5 level between the MWC, AAC, and others. See this year Liberty getting a NY6 bowl over SMU. Still somewhat a beauty contest.

After that it will be mostly comparing 2/3 loss non champs against each other for those final spots.

If in place this year that would be Oregon, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Pedo, OU, Iowa, LSU, Arizona, Louisville, ND

Do you give preference to CCG participants like Oregon/Iowa/Louisville? Is it SOS/SOR based? Player availability? Game control? That bullshit will still be around but at far lower stakes and I think that might be for the best as it will allow multiple teams to think that they still have an outside chance of hitting that gutshot straight and weaseling their way into the playoffs.

I think that system would actually be better than the NFL’s wildcard where you 100% know the outcome. But maybe that’s just my unpopular opinion.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There’s also bitching about seeding/matchups, locations. That is a big deal like it or not.

Sure. But that's a totally different thing than being left out entirely.

We are never going to have a platonically perfect system. It sucked in 2003 when our defending national champion baseball team was forced by the committee to go on the road to #1 seed Florida State but hey we won. It was shitty and disrespectful but we were given a chance. That's a fuck of a lot better than what Florida State is being given this year in football. I bet they wish all they were bitching about was their seeding.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s going to 12 teams with autobids to the highest ranked 6 champions (likely dropping to 5 with the death of the PAC12).

The SEC and Big Ten champs will always get in and I assume the Big 12 and ACC champ will too, unless they go the way of the Big East.

The controversy over autobids will be at the G5 level between the MWC, AAC, and others. See this year Liberty getting a NY6 bowl over SMU. Still somewhat a beauty contest.

After that it will be mostly comparing 2/3 loss non champs against each other for those final spots.

If in place this year that would be Oregon, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Pedo, OU, Iowa, LSU, Arizona, Louisville, ND

Do you give preference to CCG participants like Oregon/Iowa/Louisville? Is it SOS/SOR based? Player availability? Game control? That bullshit will still be around but at far lower stakes and I think that might be for the best as it will allow multiple teams to think that they still have an outside chance of hitting that gutshot straight and weaseling their way into the playoffs.

I think that system would actually be better than the NFL’s wildcard where you 100% know the outcome. But maybe that’s just my unpopular opinion.

I concur

Yeah I was thinking about how Notre Dame got fucked over in 1993 and then FSU just barely squeaked by Nebraska to win the national title.

Totally forgot about WV also being unbeaten. LOL

Sometime the hype train carries you to victory, other times it runs you over. Sort of funny to see a guy from that team bitching about the current situation.

Edited by Valmy77

I remember after ND beat FSU the national media was really sad about it. And the next week against NC State they were already building up the hype train for a rematch with ND. But then ND got upset by Boston College got sent to the Cotton Bowl against A&M despite the whole head-to-head thing.