Week 10, 2023: Texas at Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our beer scene is great.  Surprised to see a general negativity about Midwestern beer though.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Illinois all have some seriously excellent breweries.

Not being negative about it, it's just more of a personal, regional preference. I think I was more shocked by the sheer number of breweries in Iowa. This is from the Iowa Taproom in Des Moines and I'm pretty sure every one of those handles is an Iowa based brewery.

IMG_0406 (1).jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 5

1 minute ago, billy_bats said:

Not being negative about it, it's just more of a personal, regional preference. I think I was more shocked by the sheer number of breweries in Iowa. This is from the Iowa Taproom in Des Moines and I'm pretty sure every one of those handles is an Iowa based brewery.

IMG_0406 (1).jpeg

Yeah, but do the bartenders smile with their eyes?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, billy_bats said:

IMG_0406 (1).jpeg

That place is great, and we definitely have a lot of breweries.  I live in a town of ~4,000 that's more than 60 miles from any place with over 10,000 people and there are 6 breweries within a half hour of my house.

A couple of those are in Minnesota, but the small town/craft beer thing still applies.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 11/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Well, 

This is the irate 8 team I have the least problem with. We’ve had good Cyclone posters over here forever. They are good people. Wide right Natty light is a national treasure. 
Do they suck?  Yeah- pretty much historically. But they pretty much know their place and go along to get along. 
I like the fact that they waxed OU’s Ass multiple times the last half dozen years. Don’t like the fact they did it to me. 
Even though their women aren’t all that hot they sure do find some hot ones on tv. Cue redhead eating muff signal gif and that absurdly hot cheerleader from 5 years ago. 
I mean- I will have very little fond memories of anything associated with playing ISU but good luck or something I guess?  
Or fire your dipshit 5 star culture coach. Whatever. Doesn’t matter- let’s just not fuck this one up on our way out the door. 

You going to be in Ames this weekend?

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

You going to be in Ames this weekend?

NO. Actually going to be in Baton Rogue at the LSU v GA State game which kicks at the same time as the UT game, so I won't even see the UT game live.  First game I will have missed on the TV in maybe 15 years? 

My best friend is the baseball coach at GA State so he's going to the LSU game and had me come along as a guest of the school.  Figured before the year- sure- that Iowa State game shouldn't matter.  We should win easily and there should be low stakes.  Ha. Messed that one up.  

• Hook 'Em 2

We just gotta keep Becht under pressure while mixing up coverages behind that. ISU goes slowly and they run more pro-style concepts. Our defense should be fine getting lined up against them, we'll see how they defend the quick game.

On offense, I think throwing the ball is actually the key to victory here. They are not good at getting pressure at all, so make their secondary cover our NFL WRs for 3+ seconds and multiple guys should be able to get open. Running the ball should be used more as they drop back even further in coverage. Hopefully we don't try to run into their psuedo-light boxes all night.

25 minutes ago, Atticus said:

On offense, I think throwing the ball is actually the key to victory here. 

Agreed. 

They aren't great at getting pressure and Worthy, Mitchell and Sanders are huge mismatches for them. Particularly Sanders and those young LBers. It's a mistake to run much in this game as that's exactly what Iowa State wants. 

Just now, Hook1997 said:

Is he the kicker that is now a orthopedic surgeon?

no clue what he's doing now, i just remember his name when I was in high school and i was like "that name is texas as hell" when i thought it was "magnum"

anyways, i'll miss facing you guys at the games the last six or so years have been very competitive (moreso than you'd like i'm sure) and hopefully we do cross paths in bowl games or the NCAA tournament in the future as all the UT people I've ever interacted with have been cool. i understand the move. i'd prefer it didn't happen (and the big 12 goes back to the way it was in 2009) but that's not a choice. id love to win saturday not even so much because of the opponent but because we still have some big 12 title hopes alive and that would be neat.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Agreed. They aren't great at getting pressure and Worthy, Mitchell and Sanders are huge mismatches for them. Particularly Sanders and those young LBers. It's a mistake to run much in this game as that's exactly what Iowa State wants. 

Just be careful with throws near Cooper (safety) and TJ Tampa (CB).  

Iowa State looks likely to get back an extremely important player in their secondary this weekend against Texas. When he took the stand for his press conference on Nov. 14, Campbell said Iowa State will likely get the Big 12 leader in interceptions this season, sophomore safety Jeremiah Cooper, back from an injury that held him out of the last couple of games.

TJ Tampa, CB

Tampa is the highest-graded cornerback in the Big 12 on defense and in coverage this season.  Like Cooper, Tampa is another highly disruptive cornerback with great instincts and timing to jump routes in pass coverage. Tampa has the length to be physical with bigger wide receivers in man coverage. But he’s also got the quick hips and above-average speed to hang with some of the better wideouts in the Big 12 and the ball skills to make plays when the football is in the air.

The thing is that most teams don’t throw Tampa’s way, so he doesn’t get the chance to make many plays on the football.

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just be careful with throws near Cooper (safety) and TJ Tampa (CB).  

Yes, we heard the same with Newton (TCU) and Cobee (Kansas). 

Covering Worthy is a lot different than covering the WRs at BYU, Cincinnati, Baylor, Houston, etc. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3

Cooper got the majority of his (5) picks against bad competition. He's solid though.

Tampa is alright, but he's probably the best in their secondary. Myles Purchase is very grabby, he has a hard time staying attached if he doesn't hold. 

Neither guy can handle Worthy, I doubt either guy can handle Mitchell either. We had Jaydon Blue running some route last week, let him get matched up on a linebacker. 

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Tampa is alright, but he's probably the best in their secondary. Myles Purchase is very grabby, he has a hard time staying attached if he doesn't hold. 

I think this is also a key and hope the Big 12 refs don't fuck us. Tampa and Purchase are very aggressive. There are going to be holding and PIs in this game. 

• Rage+1 1

Cooper got the majority of his (5) picks against bad competition. He's solid though.
Neither guy can handle Worthy, I doubt either guy can handle Mitchell either. We had Jaydon Blue running some route last week, let him get matched up on a linebacker. 
If they're allowed to hold and PI all night long they will handle them just fine.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hadn't realized how young Iowa State is. 

1) Good news for us in a game like this. 

2) Iowa State will be one of the favorites next year in the Big 12. 

They aren’t that old in reality. Campbell tries to keep telling the media they are. 14 of 22 starters are juniors or seniors. They are a tad younger along the lines of scrimmage than a typical Iowa State team but it isn’t outrageous.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They aren’t that old in reality. Campbell tries to keep telling the media they are. 14 of 22 starters are juniors or seniors. They are a tad younger along the lines of scrimmage than a typical Iowa State team but it isn’t outrageous.

They're definitely young on defense. 

Starting two Sophomores, a FR, a RS FR, and then a couple more RS So. Plus a ton of underclassmen in the two deep. I think they've just been lucky to have not faced many good offenses this year. 

Iowa State has faced some absolutely atrocious offenses: 

UNI (FCS team that's not even scoring that much at the FCS level), Ohio (#91 adjusted offense per ESPN efficiency), Iowa (#126 per ESPN efficiency),  Baylor (#109 per ESPN efficiency), BYU (#109 per ESPN efficiency). 

That's just downright bad. They've played 4 offenses outside the top 90 and a mediocre FCS offense. That's half their schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:01 PM, Dr Ship said:

I can only hope that Iowa State can give you guys and your CFP hopes a giant kick in the fellas on your way out the door. I've been predicting ISU will win this game since I saw the schedule and I'll stand by that. I could write some long diatribe about my feeling about Texas and the role they played in the destruction of the Big 8/SWC/Big XII, but I won't. I get why you're leaving for the SEC, and If ISU was in a position to move there or to the BIG, we would.

That said, don't expect and hug and a kiss on the way out. 🤘👇.

FB_IMG_1636257192559.jpg

youre a witless fucking dishrag. go act like a shower shoe somewhere else you fucking ASVAB waiver.

Something also to watch is Blue. 

After all the offseason shit and the fumble against Wyoming, I think Sark had enough of his bullshit. But he's looked pretty damn explosive in limited opportunities against Baylor, Kansas, BYU, and K-State. 

Blue looks like the most explosive back out of the 3 if he would just get his shit together. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

We just gotta keep Becht under pressure while mixing up coverages behind that. ISU goes slowly and they run more pro-style concepts. Our defense should be fine getting lined up against them, we'll see how they defend the quick game.

On offense, I think throwing the ball is actually the key to victory here. They are not good at getting pressure at all, so make their secondary cover our NFL WRs for 3+ seconds and multiple guys should be able to get open. Running the ball should be used more as they drop back even further in coverage. Hopefully we don't try to run into their psuedo-light boxes all night.

Wild Savion it is.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

After all the offseason shit and the fumble against Wyoming, I think Sark had enough of his bullshit. But he's looked pretty damn explosive in limited opportunities against Baylor, Kansas, BYU, and K-State. 

Blue looks like the most explosive back out of the 3 if he would just get his shit together. 

Blue's running style reminds me of Tre Newton.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Better than the kicker who went to prison for securities fraud or whatever

Russell Erxleben had god-level punting and placekicking/kickoff ability and showed it often.

He went to federal prison twice (6 years and then later 7.5 years) for securities fraud, ponzi/Madoff-style schemes, money laundering, and wire/mail fraud, and finally got out in 2019.

Edited by BachelorTrek

16 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Russell Erxleben had god-level punting and placekicking/kickoff ability and showed it often.

He went to federal prison twice (6 years and then later 7.5 years) for securities fraud, ponzi/Madoff-style schemes, money laundering, and wire/mail fraud, and finally got out in 2019.

Thank you, BTpedia.

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He actually breaks tackles instead of falling down as soon as he's contacted like Baxter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1