Week 10, 2023: Texas at Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

Will be interesting to see how the loss of brooks changes the isu defensive game plan.  I think tcu felt like they could cover 1v1 decently and committed more to stopping the run. Especially with ewers coming off injury.  We lit them up pretty well. 

isu might not think that’s necessary, but maybe Baxter can keep the run game going against a lighter box?

Weather could be a difference maker. 

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Did Barron get hurt against TCU? Was wondering why Guilbeau was in so much at the end

Barron has been hurt, he’s just playing through it, this team hasn’t been completely healthy since OU. 

In other news it’s time for Baxter who probably isn’t still 100% to show why he was the #1 back to start the season. We’ve seen flashes but being a freshman he lacks consistency 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s going to be tough. Ewers is hurt, Baxter isn’t 100%, Barron is hurt….

ISU is going to run a 3-high flyover look and we are going to have to run the ball to get them into looks that favor us. Brooks out is a big loss. That said the OL will need to step up, they need to play their best game of the year. This ISU team can be run on. 

If we can get Catalon back that would be huge. Assuming Barron can play I’m hopeful the defense is able to do away with the busts that seem to be focused around the safety spot.

Would be nice to have a big special teams play/TD this game to help out.

Injuries or not this is a very winnable game. 

Cold weather, night game, with everything on the line…. If that doesn’t get you jacked up, play a different sport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Modessit said:

I grew up in Iowa (moved to RR when I was 16). The area I lived in was ISU country. The high school team was even called the Cyclones.

The only thing I don't like about playing them is that I have a lot of cousins who went to ISU but post all over FB in Nebraska jerseys. Except when Nebraska loses. This week they'll all be in ISU colors like nobody ever saw them in Husker red.

Where did you say you grew up? I’ve noticed most of those old Husker fans abandoned them 7 or 8 years ago. Tons more Cyclone fans than there were 10 years ago. I’ll be up there for the game. 

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

I was at our last two games in Ames and will be there next week as well. Despite what everyone thinks about ISU, I’ve found them to be insufferable shitheads who act like Texas owes them an apology for some imagined grievance. I only appreciate ISU for inspiring Bo’s epic ass chewing. Otherwise, screw ‘em. We have no business leaving eternal scoreboard behind in Ames. 

I went in 2019 and not in 2021. Most fans were indifferent, but there were a few mouthy assholes. I’m expecting them to be complete assholes Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

OK people, hear me out. We are going to win this game. Why, you ask? Well pull up a chair and listen to this truth serum. 

1. Iowa State is a pretty good football team. They have good coaches, they have good schemes, but they do not have players that can really threaten us outside of maybe Jayden Higgens. Last year they survived on running the same pass route to the same guy over and over again in critical situations to move the chains. That guy is gone, the QB who threw those passes is in gamblers anonymous. The skill talent is not nearly as dangerous as last year, although they have two quality receivers. Rocco Becht has become a serviceable QB for them this season, but he is not a run threat, having run for a total of 81 yards all season. That means we get to play things a bit more honestly instead of selling out to stop the QB run like we did against Houston - which opened up all of those deep crossing routes. 

2.  They do not have an explosive run game. Their leading rusher has 460 yards on the season. I think we will shut that down very quickly and make them one dimensional. 

3. Referees - What?! Fuck B12 Refs amirite? Yeah, you are right, except this. When we get late into the season and there is a B12 team in the running for the CFP or BCS, historically the refs tend to give some calls to the teams in the hunt. It means money for the conference, it means money for the schools, and they get to decide that maybe a missed PI or holding call will be soothed by a couple million dollars extra to the school that season. 

4. You know who won't be soothed? Matt Campbell. I fully expect his head to explode off of his shoulders and shoot into space due to the blood pressure when we start beating their asses. Death of a coach on the field is always distracting for a team. 

5. Sark has figured out the 3-3-5 flyover defense to an extent in the passing game. He spent a good portion of the game in trips sets, which forced the defense to come out of their shell and declare their coverage. Gundy did this earlier in the season and I think Sark caught on and used it against TCU. That is why we were getting those deep shots in the first half, and how we got 1 on 1 coverage to AD Mitchell on the crucial third down play late in the game. Ewers went for over 300 on Saturday against a team running exclusively 3-3-5. I think we do it again this week to clean up the reads for Quinn pre snap. 

6. Iowa States top 3 leading tacklers are all DBs. That is a problem. Their top LB has 21 tackles on the year. That tells me that they have front 7 issues. If they want to keep those safeties back trying to confuse the pass game, we should have some room to run provided Sark doesn't get as predictable as he got last week. I was literally screaming for an RPO in the fourth quarter. I expect Iowa State to come out with their safeties deep and prove that we can run the ball before they break their shell. So long as Baxter and Blue run patiently and not up the backs of our linemen, I think we will see some quality rushing yards this week. 

To me that all adds up to a road W provided we don't run into some bullshit 40 MPH wind with a -5 windchill. 

I don't know what any of that means, but you're probably wrong. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, staboner said:

need to call different run plays for baxter. Blue seems like he can be more like Brooks in terms of shiftiness and patience to find the whole. Baxter is a slasher and just too tall. We are limiting his explosiveness by asking him to go sideways and turn upfield when/where he sees light. It be nice to see more pistol and asking Baxter to just head up field and make once cut to get his 5 yards / carry. easier said than done of course

it cannot be said enough - Brooks was IDEAL in this offense. His last TD this past Saturday against TCU is marvelous. He makes 2 nifty decisions within the first 5 yards that allows him to house it. No other RB on our roster can do that. Going to be really fucking missed. 

Brooks wasn't ideal, he's just a better back right now. Baxter needs better vision and better feet. He's a little taller and thicker in the lower half than Brooks. If Baxter works on those two things, as well as setting up blocks and defenders, he's gonna blow up. He's got great hands, speed, and he's good at blitz pickup for his level of experience.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Brooks wasn't ideal, he's just a better back right now. Baxter needs better vision and better feet. He's a little taller and thicker in the lower half than Brooks. If Baxter works on those two things, as well as setting up blocks and defenders, he's gonna blow up. He's got great hands, speed, and he's good at blitz pickup for his level of experience.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but man is it still silly to type that out.  Brooks was front runner for the Doak and there isn’t anyone “ideal” in college football who would have had better production for us.

That said, Baxter has a lot of tools and Blue’s speed has the potential to ruin Iowa State if they bust a run fit.  We’ll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Those things aren’t going to click for him this year.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, chemHORN said:

I'll tell you how this game is gonna go.  We will get up 20+ in the first half.  By the end of the game we will be in a 50/50 situation to win or lose the game with under 2 minutes left.  

We are like an NBA team in the regular season - all that matters are the last two minutes of the game.