Week 10, 2023: Texas at Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

Savion Red will likely get a few plays at RB against cyclones this Saturday since he might be the most physical RB left that breaks tackles.

I just hope all our RBs protect the ball this game because the cyclones are one of the better teams at creating turnovers in the B12.  It's a big reason why they have over achieved in B12 league play.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Russell Erxleben had god-level punting and placekicking/kickoff ability and showed it often.

He went to federal prison twice (6 years and then later 7.5 years) for securities fraud, ponzi/Madoff-style schemes, money laundering, and wire/mail fraud, and finally got out in 2019.

Seguin Matadors yo!

csb

Erxleben was our "Junior" league umpire while he was kicking for UT. It was really cool for him to be there as part of our season. This was 4th-6th grade summer baseball. I played catcher, so I got to talk to him some, and as a huge Longhorn fan that was something I always remember as a cool part of my childhood.

We won the league championship after 6th grade in 1977. We had 2 pitchers on our roster, and our 2nd pitcher went on family vacation during the week of the championship game. We didn't have a pitch count back then, but our 1st pitcher's arm was completely done after having to pitch too much to get us to that game. Our coach was like, well, who wants to try and pitch this game? I said I'll do it, what the hell.

I pitched a 3 hitter and we won something like 5-0. Uncle Rico ain't got nothin on me, bitches.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. 

I watched the Alabama game again a couple of days ago. It was interesting in that the Horns looked like the same team we've seen all year to me. We didn't play a mistake free game. The officials did a really good job on their calls and reviews. The O line kicked ass, especially on the last drive in the 4th quarter.

It gave me a bit of confidence that we'll be ok tomorrow night. Tuscaloosa at night >>>>>>>>>>>Ames anytime as far as being a hard place to play. Let's go kick some ass, yo.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Russell Erxleben had god-level punting and placekicking/kickoff ability and showed it often.

He went to federal prison twice (6 years and then later 7.5 years) for securities fraud, ponzi/Madoff-style schemes, money laundering, and wire/mail fraud, and finally got out in 2019.

So tomorrow is the big day?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Blue looks like average RB size to me.  He really should be given the shot to take most of the snaps, from what I’ve seen between him and Baxter.  He has some juice.  What bothers me about Baxter is he doesn’t break tackles.  It’s like flag football, you get a hand on him and he’s tackled. 

He struggles to break tackles and takes way too many big hits. He needs to try and evade tackles vs taking them collisions on.

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

He struggles to break tackles and takes way too many big hits. He needs to try and evade tackles vs taking them collisions on.

Idk that it’s the breaking tackles thing it’s that he doesn’t have contact balance like Roschon Bijan and Jonathon. Contact balance is a learnable thing, he doesn’t just fall down when touched, but he doesn’t use contact as an anticipatory trajectory change for balance. It’s like judo but for running backs. We just happened to have 3 contact balance black belts. 

• Hook 'Em 7

30 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Blue looks like average RB size to me.  He really should be given the shot to take most of the snaps, from what I’ve seen between him and Baxter.  He has some juice.  What bothers me about Baxter is he doesn’t break tackles.  It’s like flag football, you get a hand on him and he’s tackled. 

Isn't Blue about 6'/200? That's not that far off of the NFL average 5'10"/210.

Edited by AnotherLawyer
He's listed at 6'0"/191...so he is on the smallish side based on the NFL average, but is that bad for college?

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Idk that it’s the breaking tackles thing it’s that he doesn’t have contact balance like Roschon Bijan and Jonathon. Contact balance is a learnable thing, he doesn’t just fall down when touched, but he doesn’t use contact as an anticipatory trajectory change for balance. It’s like judo but for running backs. We just happened to have 3 contact balance black belts. 

This is pointful. Contact Balance is not much good as a band name, but it needs to show up for Baxter - all the RBs, really - sooner rather than later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I understand what you are saying and agree however if he gets hit and goes to the ground, he isn't really breaking tackles. JB is fantastic at taking glancing blows and keeping his feet. I think he is better at that than Bijan. Bijan was just outright making people miss completely. My point is, CB4 needs those blows to be glancing so he can keep his balance, he gets blasted on the regular. This is big boy football, not high school.

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Not really.  You pretty much are what you are for most qualities at running back, especially when it is an instinctual quality.  IOW, Baxter is who he is.  He might get stronger and be able to run through arm tackles better, but he is not going to suddenly have the balance and agility that Bijan or Brooks have.

• Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, immamac said:

running through tackles and doing what Bijan Roschon and Jonathon do is totally different. They use the tackle anticipation to balance and explode out of the contact instead of against the contact or through it. Baxter is trying to be a wrecking ball. 

Miley Cyrus Rotum GIF

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Isn't Blue about 6'/200? That's not that far off of the NFL average 5'10"/210.

Blue is like 5'9ish and sub 200 lb. They're being generous with his listing. He's got great burst, has really good hands, and runs really good routes. I would love to see them hunt matchups with him.

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Blue is like 5'9ish and sub 200 lb. They're being generous with his listing. He's got great burst, has really good hands, and runs really good routes. I would love to see them hunt matchups with him.

Blue is listed at 6', just like Brooks. He's 5'11" at worst. You've never seen him standing next to Robinson if you think he's Robinson's size.

23 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Blue is listed at 6', just like Brooks. He's 5'11" at worst. You've never seen him standing next to Robinson if you think he's Robinson's size.

He looks about the same size as Brooks to me.  A couple times I thought Blue was Brooks last week until I noticed it was 23 and not 24.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:01 PM, Dr Ship said:

I can only hope that Iowa State can give you guys and your CFP hopes a giant kick in the fellas on your way out the door. I've been predicting ISU will win this game since I saw the schedule and I'll stand by that. I could write some long diatribe about my feeling about Texas and the role they played in the destruction of the Big 8/SWC/Big XII, but I won't. I get why you're leaving for the SEC, and If ISU was in a position to move there or to the BIG, we would.

That said, don't expect and hug and a kiss on the way out. 🤘👇.

glad to see you already crowdsourced

i was so looking forward to nuking you from orbit when you tried to write words about the collapse of the SWC or....  and this is a first in the horn universe....  trying not to laugh.....  the "role" we played in the "destruction" of the big8, especially considering that every big8 team was given life in the rig12, where thanks to Texas they experienced a 1000% increase in revenue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

I've seen all of them in person. Not looking to derail the thread in this direction though, agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

running through tackles and doing what Bijan Roschon and Jonathon do is totally different. They use the tackle anticipation to balance and explode out of the contact instead of against the contact or through it. Baxter is trying to be a wrecking ball. 

I think Baxter will be awesome eventually, but right now, his running style and vision reminds me a little of Eddie George. People used to say if you need 3 yards, bet your ass Eddie will get you those 3 yards. Now, if you need 5 or 6 yards, you bet your ass Eddie will get you those 3 yards.

Edited by Lou Loomis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, immamac said:

He's also been judged, as a dinged-up true freshman, next to an emerging / peaking superstar. Anyone predicting he's a JAG is all kinds of premature. He's got lots of filling out to do. If he keeps his speed and quickness and gains 20 pounds of muscle, he could be damn good.

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Yep players never improve their skillset/production over time.  It just doesn’t happen. 

Not what I said, but whatever.

You could tell the agility and balance that Bijan or JB had when they were freshman.  Baxter is never going to be that type of runner.  He might be more effective when he is healthy and adds more strength and size, but he has limited ability when it comes to making a man miss and that won't change.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Staying by a brewery?  I'm guessing you must have Airbnb'd?  If it's Alluvial, you're in for an absolute treat.  It it's Torrent, it's still pretty fucking good.

Our beer scene is great.  Surprised to see a general negativity about Midwestern beer though.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Illinois all have some seriously excellent breweries.

https://surlybrewing.com/

3 hours ago, gurt said:

Not really.  You pretty much are what you are for most qualities at running back, especially when it is an instinctual quality.  IOW, Baxter is who he is.  He might get stronger and be able to run through arm tackles better, but he is not going to suddenly have the balance and agility that Bijan or Brooks have.

I hate negging football opinions, but this is just so stupid. He may or may not get better, but implying that a true freshman “is who he is” is a burnt orange nation comments section level bad take.

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

He's also been judged, as a dinged-up true freshman, next to an emerging / peaking superstar. Anyone predicting he's a JAG is all kinds of premature. He's got lots of filling out to do. If he keeps his speed and quickness and gains 20 pounds of muscle, he could be damn good.

I don't think anyone is calling him a JAG. He was billed as a 5*, then "won" the starting job yet is clearly not anywhere near as good a JB. He has been hurt, if he is healthy, hopefully we see significant improvement and production. That is what I expect anyway.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:16 AM, Vertigo said:

To me that all adds up to a road W provided we don't run into some bullshit 40 MPH wind with a -5 windchill. 

The Saturday high in Ames is predicted to be 58, so temps should be in the 40's at kickoff.

NWS forecast for Ames tomorrow night -- good football weather. 

Saturday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 33. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

That will be allowed 

I expect that the couple of calls we got on Worthy at TCU will be good for Rig 12 for the next 2 games.  Similar to the "defensive holding" we got in a game after the OSU shenanigans.  File this under the "see we call it both ways" Rig 12 special.

Flags will be back in the pocket for us certainly for this game and likely Tech as well if they need it.  ISU is also one of the lowest teams for opponents penalties against along with us but I expect we will have double digits and ISU will have about 3 or 4(our opp norm).