T'Vondre Sweat Appreciation Thread

BurntOrange&White

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

It always seemed like he was too heavy and wasn’t quick off the ball. Somehow he gained weight this offseason (I think) and is probably our best first-move guy on the DL. He’s a legitimate candidate to go top 10 in the NFL draft.

He has Vince Wilfork-esq vibes that teams just can't ignore!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Having Sweat anywhere on someone's Heisman list this late in the season would have been a Surly sock material 3 months ago.

Don't want to derail this, but it's refreshing to see Daniels #1 after being ignored for most of the season.  Video game numbers, probably going to finish the regular season with almost 4,000 passing, over 1,100 rushing rushing, and 50 total TDs.  Lamar Jackson numbers.  Also up there with Murray and Burrow in terms of total offense and total TDs. 

But probably going to Nix because Daniels is going to get knocked for 3 losses, which would be 6-7 without him.

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i was happy when i heard he was coming back this year, but in no way did i expect this sort of season out him.  guy has come a very long way in his time at Texas and i'm thrilled for all the success he is achieving this season.

He hasn't had any alcohol this season. Not a drop. I think it's a big reason he is performing so well. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

It always seemed like he was too heavy and wasn’t quick off the ball. Somehow he gained weight this offseason (I think) and is probably our best first-move guy on the DL. He’s a legitimate candidate to go top 10 in the NFL draft.

Got a lot stronger in the core instead of just upper body for that 1st step?  And stronger all around in a good weight program.   Definitely a first day guy, hopefully to a good team.

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And the icing on the cake:  He was rated a three-star recruit and committed to play college football at Texas

He's been amazing. So much for the old "Texas can't develop players" argument. Never know for sure which line prospect on either side of the ball will turn into a 5-star contributor, so give them enough time and training to show what they're really made of. Sometimes the switch just magically comes on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Sadly I think this will go to Joe Alt from ND.  Too much name recognition.

For what the opposing OC's have to do to gameplan for Sweat, it should go to him. 

Sweat's stat line for the season is 36 tackles and 2 sacks. Doesn't tell the story AT ALL. The guy is disruptive on every play and takes on double teams so other guys can get home. Like when a really great CB has poor stats because no one throws at him, he absolutely changes the game. Dude's going to make money in the league...hopefully for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I think Sweat and Whittington (to a lesser degree, his room is too deep) are good examples of why coming back is sometimes the correct choice. Both have a chance to finish their Longhorn careers on a high note and for Sweat...gotdam he's probably gone from a 3rd to 5th rounder to possibly first..same for Murphy. Not sure Whittington has the NFL as his ultimate goal, but if he does someone will get a good player.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ousux said:

I think Sweat and Whittington (to a lesser degree, his room is too deep) are good examples of why coming back is sometimes the correct choice. Both have a chance to finish their Longhorn careers on a high note and for Sweat...gotdam he's probably gone from a 3rd to 5th rounder to possibly first..same for Murphy. Not sure Whittington has the NFL as his ultimate goal, but if he does someone will get a good player.

I think Whitt will play on Sundays. Reliable slot guy, tackle breaker, character champ.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Whitt will play on Sundays. Reliable slot guy, tackle breaker, character champ.
I know he can, just not sure that's what he wants. I saw an interview where he implied football is something he's good at and he enjoys the brotherhood aspect, but doesn't love the game like some of his teammates do. He went on to basically say he's using football as a way to go on to bigger things...not necessarily football related.

Having said that I'd be surprised if he doesn't toss his hat in the ring..too much money on the line and so few players get the opportunity.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
5 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I know he can, just not sure that's what he wants. I saw an interview where he implied football is something he's good at and he enjoys the brotherhood aspect, but doesn't love the game like some of his teammates do. He went on to basically say he's using football as a way to go on to bigger things...not necessarily football related.

Unless you're in the super rare talent spectrum if you don't love the game then a pro career won't last or won't happen. It's a different level there from talking to some guys I knew who were national champs for us and another who was 2x all big 12 at another program.

• Fuck You 1

Unless you're in the super rare talent spectrum if you don't love the game then a pro career won't last or won't happen. It's a different level there from talking to some guys I knew who were national champs for us and another who was 2x all big 12 at another program.
Agree with that, but Whitt can do it at a high level if he puts his mind to it. Slot receivers in the NFL can take quite a pounding on slants and crossing routes, but I think in spite of all his injuries he can handle it.

18 minutes ago, ousux said:
21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Agree with that, but Whitt can do it at a high level if he puts his mind to it. Slot receivers in the NFL can take quite a pounding on slants and crossing routes, but I think in spite of all his injuries he can handle it.

Whit's injuries came from being too swole. Since he dropped weight he's been healthy.

Whit's injuries came from being too swole. Since he dropped weight he's been healthy.
I think there's some truth to that. Small guys like Cole Beasley and Wes Welker were never would I would call swole, but both had decently long NFL careers in the slot.

This ties in a bit to the dumbassery I referenced in the worst era of football. Some were roided up and inflexible. Some were just inflexible. Many were not maximized for speed and agility.

Whoever was that dude in the state of Texas that opened it up and introduced speed kills should be inducted into all Halls of Fame.

4 hours ago, TOR said:

Got a lot stronger in the core instead of just upper body for that 1st step?  And stronger all around in a good weight program.   Definitely a first day guy, hopefully to a good team.

Sweat feels like a guy that falls to Baltimore or Pittsburgh and nobody can figure out how they keep getting these dudes.

• Hook 'Em 2