Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

3 hours ago, futureman said:

I wish you would.  I want a rookie’s reaction to all the major plot developments.  fresh eyes, so to speak. 

3 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Yep.

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Agree. Also might help me remember some shit.

Up to a three or four episodes in season 5. My unedited hot takes:

I'm getting a little tired of:

Aria (sp?) doing fuck all in Bravos story line

Daenerays (sp?) doing fuck all in Mereen story line. I hope her dragons eat her and the Gray Worm moron. She should have just slaughtered all the slave masters and left the slaves to work it out among themselves. Why the fuck is she fucking around in Mereen? Wgaf?

Brienne wandering around, getting into fights, but in the end doing fuck all in Westoros story line. However, the Hound vs Brienne fight was the best so far. Really showed the brutality of a fight- no honor, just kill the other one any way you can.

Stansa.

Questions that seem to be due to poor writing (don't answer, unless its already been answered and I missed something):

Why is Davos so dedicated to a religious fanatic who cut off his fingers after he saved him from starvation? Seems a little unlikely.

Why didn't Mance Raider send his entire 100,000 army to completely overwhelm the 100 watchers on the wall? Instead he sends a handful to attack the front gate, a handful to climb the wall (who are easily brushed off), and a pair of giants to go in the back. Oh, because he was just "testing our defenses" according to John Snow. A better answer would have been "because that would have been too expensive/difficult to film".  I will admit the battle for the wall , or whatever it is called, was pretty bad ass.

Why not set Snow free at the start of the battle, rather than at the end. Snow, a bad ass dire wolf, killed one bad guy. One.

I'm a little fuzzy on the geography of Westoros, despite the cool opening sequence, but it seems a little unlikely that Theon's sister could just get 50 men and a "fast ship" and be at the Dreadfort in the next scene. Also seems unlikely that Davos and Stannis could sail across the sea, get a loan from the Iron Bank, sail back to Dragonstone, find an army and a fleet of ships, and then get to the wall in what seems like a day or two.  Then ride in and defeat an army of 100,000 barbarians in one fell swoop.

What happened to the Band of Brothers without Borders and the guy with the flaming sword?

Characters I like or liked: Varis (although he is starting to get a little tiresome but he does look a lot like my BIL), Tywin (RIP- the actor nailed it), Joffrey (over the top bad guy annoying teenager, but it worked I think as a mirror to the Mad King who Robert deposed), The Old Lady Tyrell who poisoned Joffery, Lord Bolton (psycho who is believable, compare to Ramsay who is too over the top), and Jon Snow just because he is a bad ass.

Annoying characters I really don't (or didn't) like: Aria (please die soon), Brienne, Catalyn Stark, Red Lady High Priestess Whatever Her Name Is (despite being very milfy. The look she gives John Snow as they are riding up the elevator almost redeemed her for me. She has plans for Mr. John Snow), the chick (Margery?) who married Joffery and then Tommen, the fat guy (when winter comes the wall fighters could live off his fat for a few months) who saved Gilley, the mother of dragons (just plain fucking awful), Bran Stark and his merry band of gimps, Theon/Reek (something better come of that storyline)

Meh: Rob Stark, Ramsey Bolton (too over the top psycho), Stannis (lots of wasted potential there), Renly (his entire story line was a waste of time), Ned Stark, all the people associated with Daeneryas, Tyrion (yes I said it, another case of frequent over acting), guy from Dorne who the mountain killed, Jamie, Cersei, Lord Baelisch (Sp?), Davos,

Interesting twist with Cersei making an alliance with the High Sparrow. This will not end well I suspect.

Liked:

John Snow chopping off the head of the first guy who questioned his authoritie (Cartman voice).

Battle of the Wall

Hound vs Brienne fight

Any scene with Tywin Lannister in it, except when Aria was also in the scene

Cinematography and costumes are absolutely incredible

Acting is pretty damn good for the most part

Flaming sword

The guy from the wall who was taking Aria north, until he died (also a bad ass who was under used)

The gritty realism that life in the middle ages was the suck if you were a peasant

Opening sequence.

Short Term Prediction: Stannis will try to conquer/re-unite/liberate the North, get defeated by the Boltons and whoever, despite burning (hopefully the fat guy who is still a virgin) someone, gets pissed at his Red Lady, and chokes her to death (or maybe an ironic twist-- lets her freeze in the snow). At some point Brienne shows up and kills Stannis' crazy ass (hopefully they both die somehow. Also Podrick dies in the fight somehow). Stannis' and Brienne's story lines needs to end.

"Shocking Death" predictions:

End of season five: Stannis

End of season six: Tyrion

End of season seven: John Snow

(maybe switch John Snow and Tyrion)

End of season eight: Daneryis and Bran

Long term prediction (I'm calling my shot now): Epic battle between ice zombies and the wall guys (ice zombies reveal some ice version of dragons which gives them the edge), wall falls, then ice zombies stomp all of westoros (very satifying scenes of ice zombies killing all the people squabbling over the Iron Throne-- Cersie, Baelish, Bolton, Walter Frey, Ironborn king, etc), then dragons and Daenerys sacrifice themselves to kill ice zombies and the ice king with help from Bran inside a dragon's mind, and finally Stannis' daughter ends up on the Iron Throne, married to Bran's little brother (what's his name?). Flaming sword guy, Jamie, Varis, a few other survivors are their kingsguard/little council. Hopefully, somehow, someway, Aria dies, sooner the better.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Daenerays (sp?) doing fuck all in Mereen story line. I hope her dragons eat her and the Gray Worm moron. She should have just slaughtered all the slave masters and left the slaves to work it out among themselves. Why the fuck is she fucking around in Mereen? Wgaf?

Brienne wandering around, getting into fights, but in the end doing fuck all in Westoros story line. However, the Hound vs Brienne fight was the best so far. Really showed the brutality of a fight- no honor, just kill the other one any way you can.

Stansa.

Questions that seem to be due to poor writing (don't answer, unless its already been answered and I missed something):

Why is Davos so dedicated to a religious fanatic who cut off his fingers after he saved him from starvation? Seems a little unlikely.

Why didn't Mance Raider send his entire 100,000 army to completely overwhelm the 100 watchers on the wall? Instead he sends a handful to attack the front gate, a handful to climb the wall (who are easily brushed off), and a pair of giants to go in the back. Oh, because he was just "testing our defenses" according to John Snow. A better answer would have been "because that would have been too expensive/difficult to film".  I will admit the battle for the wall , or whatever it is called, was pretty bad ass.

Why not set Snow free at the start of the battle, rather than at the end. Snow, a bad ass dire wolf, killed one bad guy. One.

I'm a little fuzzy on the geography of Westoros, despite the cool opening sequence, but it seems a little unlikely that Theon's sister could just get 50 men and a "fast ship" and be at the Dreadfort in the next scene. Also seems unlikely that Davos and Stannis could sail across the sea, get a loan from the Iron Bank, sail back to Dragonstone, find an army and a fleet of ships, and then get to the wall in what seems like a day or two.  Then ride in and defeat an army of 100,000 barbarians in one fell swoop.

What happened to the Band of Brothers without Borders and the guy with the flaming sword?

Characters I like or liked: Varis (although he is starting to get a little tiresome but he does look a lot like my BIL), Tywin (RIP- the actor nailed it), Joffrey (over the top bad guy annoying teenager, but it worked I think as a mirror to the Mad King who Robert deposed), The Old Lady Tyrell who poisoned Joffery, Lord Bolton (psycho who is believable, compare to Ramsay who is too over the top), and Jon Snow just because he is a bad ass.

Annoying characters I really don't (or didn't) like: Aria (please die soon), Brienne, Catalyn Stark, Red Lady High Priestess Whatever Her Name Is (despite being very milfy. The look she gives John Snow as they are riding up the elevator almost redeemed her for me. She has plans for Mr. John Snow), the chick (Margery?) who married Joffery and then Tommen, the fat guy (when winter comes the wall fighters could live off his fat for a few months) who saved Gilley, the mother of dragons (just plain fucking awful), Bran Stark and his merry band of gimps, Theon/Reek (something better come of that storyline)

Meh: Rob Stark, Ramsey Bolton (too over the top psycho), Stannis (lots of wasted potential there), Renly (his entire story line was a waste of time), Ned Stark, all the people associated with Daeneryas, Tyrion (yes I said it, another case of frequent over acting), guy from Dorne who the mountain killed, Jamie, Cersei, Lord Baelisch (Sp?), Davos,

Interesting twist with Cersei making an alliance with the High Sparrow. This will not end well I suspect.

Liked:

John Snow chopping off the head of the first guy who questioned his authoritie (Cartman voice).

Battle of the Wall

Hound vs Brienne fight

Flaming sword

The guy from the wall who was taking Aria north, until he died (also a bad ass who was under used)

The gritty realism that life in the middle ages was the suck if you were a peasant

Opening sequence.

Short Term Prediction: Stannis will try to conquer/re-unite/liberate the North, get defeated by the Boltons and whoever, despite burning (hopefully the fat guy who is still a virgin) someone, gets pissed at his Red Lady, and chokes her to death (or maybe an ironic twist-- lets her freeze in the snow). At some point Brienne shows up and kills Stannis' crazy ass (hopefully they both die somehow. Also Podrick dies in the fight somehow). Stannis' and Brienne's story lines needs to end.

Long term prediction (I'm calling my shot now): Epic battle between ice zombies and the wall guys (ice zombies reveal some ice version of dragons which gives them the edge), wall falls, then ice zombies stomp all of westoros (very satifying scenes of ice zombies killing all the people squabbling over the Iron Throne-- Cersie, Baelish, Bolton, Walter Frey, Ironborn king, etc), then dragons and Daenerys sacrifice themselves to kill ice zombies and the ice king with help from Bran inside a dragon's mind, and finally Stannis' daughter ends up on the Iron Throne, married to Bran's little brother (what's his name?). Flaming sword guy, Jamie, Varis, a few other survivors are their kingsguard/little council. Hopefully, somehow, someway, Aria dies, sooner the better.

You sweet summer child 

• Like 8

All Starks die. All dragons die.  Jon and Dany defeat Cersie and the Night King. In the aftermath, Tyrion kills Dany because of he's jealous of the Jon-Dany relationship.  Jon is left with the one thing he did not want, the throne.

Settle down satan

When the shapeshifter asked Arya to name one person and he would kill him, she decides it was the guard at the fucking gate! How bout Lannister? Cercei? Anyone on her whole long fucking list?
She did ...but he said that is no ordinary name or something along those lines(i think i remember that atleast)
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:
When the shapeshifter asked Arya to name one person and he would kill him, she decides it was the guard at the fucking gate! How bout Lannister? Cercei? Anyone on her whole long fucking list?

She did ...but he said that is no ordinary name or something along those lines(i think i remember that atleast)

It's been too long. I'm wondering why I can't remember the guy's name. Well maybe because most people called him the man with no name.  It's Jaqen H'ghar, and Arya gave him THREE names! This is actually pretty funny, at least the way the second guy dies. The vid is 8min long, but H'ghar was at his best.

4 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

It's been too long. I'm wondering why I can't remember the guy's name. Well maybe because most people called him the man with no name.  It's Jaqen H'ghar, and Arya gave him THREE names! This is actually pretty funny, at least the way the second guy dies. The vid is 8min long, but H'ghar was at his best.

Jaqen H'ghar is dead  @2:31.  The face you see on the faceless man is that of dead person, Jaqen H'ghar.  Maybe the real face of the faceless man is @2:47.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I knew his name, and i'm not even that big a nerd/fan

Random question: have we ever discovered the identity of the woman in Qarth in S2 that came up to Jorah and knew who he was? She had on a mask that hid her face; She was advising him on what to do with Danny and how she needs his protection; she knew Jorah's identity; and she said she was no one. Was she a faceless man?

21 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Could Arya use littlefingers face to convince Robin Arryn to join the Starks (again) or did he find out about Littlefinger's past?

Or are they already in Winterfell?

The Vale is already on board. This dude (Yohn Royce) is the leader of their army, and he's been hanging around plenty in the background of scenes at Winterfell. They were the ones that rode to the rescue in the Battle of the Bastards and apparently they're sticking around for the main event.

latest?cb=20170307112727&path-prefix=fr

Edited by tokamak
  • Like 1

The Vale is already on board. This dude (Yohn Royce) is the leader of their army, and he's been hanging around plenty in the background of scenes at Winterfell. They were the ones that rode to the rescue in the Battle of the Bastards and apparently they're sticking around for the main event.
Yep, and he's the one that Littlefinger pleaded to take him back to the Vale before Arya got him.

And he's the one that could tell there wasn't something quite right with that version of Littlefinger in that moment of desperation.  He's never overplayed his hand before in the face of death...why then?  why that face?  

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Quick tangent on this, his son is the first death of the show:

latest?cb=20160710183336

Waymar Royce - first guy to die on GOT.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 12:01 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Stansa.

Liked:

Battle of the Wall

Hound vs Brienne fight

Flaming sword

Opening sequence.

Season 5 is definitely the lowest part of the entire series with the exception of the ending...Hardhome is an episode I believe no?

11 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Went back today and rewatched The Door.  Goddamn that ending chokes me up still.  Can't wait for Pato to get to it. 

Not a big fan of that particular gotcha.

Spoiler

So let me get this straight. Some fifteen year-old kid named Walder is standing in the courtyard one day and appears to have this paralyzing vision of the future. He drops on his back and all he can say is "Hodor". So everyone in the clan gets together and agrees that although we've been calling this motherfucker Walder for the last fifteen years, let's start calling him Hodor - maybe it will help him snap out of this Hodor fixation?

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess I need to go back and watch that scene.  My first thoughts are he was paying her for info.

Same.

Benioff and Weiss can't write anything that good.  And they're out of time anyway.  Littlefinger was a loose end that needed to be tied up before we got to the Zombies v. Dragons stuff.  So they (clumsily) got rid of him.

Shame, too, since the character deserved a better send off.  But I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of that in these final few episodes.  Lots of characters are going to get the axe in unsatisfying ways because we're speeding along to the end and there's no time to give them their due.

31 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Lots of characters are going to get the axe in unsatisfying ways because we're speeding along to the end and there's no time to give them their due.

Because the actors, and one in particular, demanded that they end the series ASAP.  She threatened to quit if they didn’t promise to shorten it by a lot.  

Because the actors, and one in particular, demanded that they end the series ASAP.  She threatened to quit if they didn’t promise to shorten it by a lot.  

Why are you trying to protect some British actor that you never have and never will meet? No need to tap dance around it
  • Like 1

Same.
Benioff and Weiss can't write anything that good.  And they're out of time anyway.  Littlefinger was a loose end that needed to be tied up before we got to the Zombies v. Dragons stuff.  So they (clumsily) got rid of him.
Shame, too, since the character deserved a better send off.  But I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of that in these final few episodes.  Lots of characters are going to get the axe in unsatisfying ways because we're speeding along to the end and there's no time to give them their due.

So the Stark kids, one of which is an all knowing psychic and another one is an assassin, finally find out who betrayed their father and kicked off the entire war and they’re NOT going to kill him?

Not every death is going to have some poetic justice to it. How should Little Finger have been killed?
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread