Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Episode was slow and a bit contrived. They all happen upon the same fireplace in all of Winterfell to sit around and sing kumbaya?

I literally LOL'd at Mr. Giantsbane's story about giant milk.

Why was Gilly randomly roaming around the gruel line in time to engage Davos and the little grey scale lookalike girl? And yes she got less attractive.

They're really trying to make us all hate Dany. I agree maybe she dies, or starts feuding with Jon. Problem with her dying is the allegiance of all of her armies. So it can't be cold blooded murder unless they want a mutiny.

Preview showed the Night King riding his dead dragon, so is he just gonna peacefully ride that thing into see Bran without torching the whole place?

Here's how I see it.

First off, nobody dies next week. There's five more episodes to go. Maybe Grey worm, but it would be politically incorrect to kill him off. Jorah sure isn't going to die. You don't kill off the old guy first. Maybe Davos. Tormund's  on a short fuse. He dies, comes back to life and is a bitch to kill.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Solid. Brienne's knighting was the highlight. She surely lasts till Episode Five

GRRM has said the ending would be bittersweet. Jon will die saving Dany's life (just my prediction). It was either that or they both abdicate, swear their eternal love for each other and go find some place far away to start a family.

Arya's weapon will end up being pretty cool. Why the fuck didn't she or Gendry think "Hey, let's make a lot of these instead of fucking axes with one-foot handles. If they bite you, you're fucked.

Her sex seen wasn't as repulsive as I thought it would be. So much for my theory that she would lose her virginity to The Hound. I thought he had the inside track on that.

hp has GIF

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Dothraki are going to be pretty fucking useless in the snow in Winterfell.   Dani should have left them at Dragonstone or somewhere else..

Hey that sounds like a great idea. Let’s not bring a bunch of badasses to the fight against the WWs.

Obvious body double was obvious

I wanted to see more of the convo between Tyrion and Bran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

That would be an epic heel turn.  Jon defeats the Night King and saves humanity.  Then Dany kills him, Sam and Bran so nobody will learn she doesn’t have the rightful claim (or maybe one of them lives so they can tell everyone in the North she killed Jon).  

I still don’t know if they will go there, but they’ve been building the tension and the questioning of Dany’s motives for a while now.  And it would be the one thing they could do that would be another Red Wedding / Ned Stark dies mega-twist.

I’m here, but my mega twist is after Daenerys kills Jon, walks the snow filled throne room to take the iron throne, fucking Samwell Tarly runs her through. The wheel is broken. 

23 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Here's how I see it.

First off, nobody dies next week. There's five more episodes to go  

First off, remind me to never go with you to Vegas. There will be major characters knocked off next week. 

Second, there are only four episodes left. 

For the record, I wish I were wrong on both counts. 

GoT notes-

-the final handful of episodes was a great time to have dany do a total 180 as a character out of nowhere and for no discernible reason 

-hard not to sit here wondering why things are moving so slowly 

-"i cant help but feel we are at odds with one another. why is that?" well dany, it's because you are suddenly at odds with everyone. i haven't seen someone go from beloved hero to angry irritant this fast since Kevin Durant 

-i'm really glad that first ~120 minutes of the final season has been nothing but (mostly trivial) conversations between people 

-what the fuck show am i even watching right now? it's like every character who's still alive is at Winterfell all having meaningless conversations with one another. 

-oh good, all of Jon's buddies are back, more catching up and hugging and chatting

-the writing on this show suuuuuucks, im having flashbacks to the latter seasons of The Office 

-all of these scenes where the entire damn cast of the entire damn show stands around all popping in one at a time to say something poignant are an absolute beating

-it appears that the writing strategy for the first two episodes was as follows: "let's go around the horn, character by character, catching up with each one of them in five minute intervals, just to see what they've been up to lately. no rush."

-with all that's going on right now, how do Tyrion and Jamie find themselves alone in a giant, empty hall drinking wine by the fire, chit chatting and reminiscing about life? 

-annnnnd now suddenly one character from every faction of the kingdom has wandered into this same hall all at once. for more talking. great.

-haven't seen the hound yet, better to check in on him and see what he's got on his mind. wouldn't want to address the actual thing that we've all been waiting on for more than a year for. gotta keep those check-ins going.

-arya stark sex scene?! whaaaa?!

-am i supposed to be moved by brienne's knighting? sorry, but i have other shit on my mind, shit that's been on my mind since the last season ended about five years ago. maybe you'd like to address any of those things at some point this season?

-yep, this show is going to end up like community and the office where i eventually just pretend that the latter half of the series didn't happen 

-how in fuck is it that every single important person in this show is off in a different corner of winterfell having some quiet, somber conversation with someone else? literally none of them are doing anything to prepare for the battle that we've been building up to for seven years now. if the NK showed up right now the war would end in about 12 minutes

-last minute or two of the second episode and we're finally getting to the first relevant part of the entire season

-i would say that i have blue balls, but something would need to have excited me first. 

-wow. that might have been the worst episode of the entire series. just dreadful from start to finish. the latter seasons have been clearly inferior to seasons 1-4, but this season has just been awful. all that wait, all that buildup, for what amounts to nothing. nothing of import has happened this season. such a major bummer. gotta make sure every single living character gets 3 minutes of dialogue in lieu of wrapping up this epic series. dreadful.

episode score: 2.1 

it's more than a fair score. i think the sheer shock of the arya sex scene is what kept it from being scored in the 1's. just an epic, epic letdown of an episode. worthless. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Drew said:

It was a setup episodes without really feeling like it to me.

Most of the time a setup episode would have a tone of filler...but feel like most of what we saw tonight had purpose. Lots of foreshadowing.

I do not see Jorah and Theon making it out of next episode after their storylines in this episode.

2 hours ago, Fico said:

What if Bran becomes the new Night King and the cycle starts over?

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I thought that was a haven from the White Walkers?  Does he even need to do any of the old TER stuff up North beyond the wall if White Walkers are no more?

I kind of like the cycle starting over theory.  That touch/connection might still be used for something more than just explaining how the NK possibly knows Bran is ... at the nearest big stronghold to the Wall where nearly all of Westeros is digging in for the final fight.  Yeah, I think the NK might have been able to figure that out without some mark of the beast plot device.

If she doesn’t turn heel, I think there’s a good chance she dies honorably, trying to save Jon despite knowing she’d benefit from him being out of the way, or something.  

But if she does turn heel, then she has to stick around to be the big villain at the end.  She suddenly becomes way more interesting for the final resolution than just guessing who gets to kill Cersei.

One way or another something big pretty much has to happen with her next week.

Before even contemplating this last page, which includes a Derka rant that isn’t worth the sweat off of my balls, let me just go with what I’ve quoted and read on this thread. You have to be some of the dumbest fucks in the history of the Internet with this shit. This is absolutely the dumbest thread on this entire site and that is a monumental achievement. I cannot believe that some of you are able to continue to consume oxygen on this planet and know what to do with it.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Before even contemplating this last page, which includes a Derka rant that isn’t worth the sweat off of my balls, let me just go with what I’ve quoted and read on this thread. You have to be some of the dumbest fucks in the history of the Internet with this shit. This is absolutely the dumbest thread on this entire site and that is a monumental achievement. I cannot believe that some of you are able to continue to consume oxygen on this planet and know what to do with it.  

you don't know the difference between notes and a rant?

also you don't really have to "know what to do" with oxygen, it just kind of happens on its own.

Edited by Goo Punch

3 hours ago, Drew said:

You post that’s after THIS episode? I mean I can see some complaints on previous ones but not this episode. This was a pure throw back episode. Like season 2/3. Just talking in rooms and shit.

How can anyone complain about this one?

This was not a throwback episode, this was a "how can we make sure that literally every living character gets 3 minutes of dialogue in this episode while our fans continue to wait for the dead to arrive." just because it was dialogue heavy doesn't mean it was similar to the early seasons, or that it was any good. it was a bunch of useless filler and an epic letdown after such a long wait for this season to arrive. you can sum up all of the progress we've made in this season in 2-3 sentences.

-Jon and Dany know who Jon is

-We know the NK's motivation now

thats it. that's what we've gotten from the first 1/3 of the final season of this show. i could have skipped these first two episodes altogether and have missed nothing. 

Edited by Goo Punch

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

This was not a throwback episode, this was a "how can we make sure that literally every living character gets 3 minutes of dialogue in this episode while our fans continue to wait for the dead to arrive." just because it was dialogue heavy doesn't mean it was similar to the early seasons, or that it was any good. it was a bunch of useless filler and an epic letdown after such a long wait for this season to arrive. you can sum up all of the progress we've made in this season in 2-3 sentences.

-Jon and Dany know who Jon is

-We know the NK's motivation now

thats it. that's what we've gotten from the first 1/3 of the final season of this show. i could have skipped these first two episodes altogether and have missed nothing. 

Derka gonna Derka.  

All characters should just gather at Winterfell and start the White Walker fight in Episode 1 of this season?  No need to talk to each other even though several characters haven't seen each other for several years/seasons/episodes of the show and are all now conveniently at the same location?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deech said:

Derka gonna Derka.  

All characters should just gather at Winterfell and start the White Walker fight in Episode 1 of this season?  No need to talk to each other even though several characters haven't seen each other for several years/seasons/episodes of the show and are all now conveniently at the same location?  

I know it's fun to shit on Derkagoo, but this is the final season, and it's 6 episodes. So far two of those 6 episodes have been filler.....he has a point, either the season should be longer or they should be getting the fuck on with it... 

• Like 3

as i said, episode one of this season was probably the most highly anticipated TV episode since the BB finale, and was likely one of the most highly anticipated TV episodes of all time. Same goes for this entire season. And thus far, through 1/3 of the final season, you could have skipped both episodes and missed virtually nothing of import. the story has not advanced.

so please, spare me the ubiquitous "anyone who didn't like this episode only likes explosions and car chases" crap that happens every time anyone on the internet doesn't like a slow episode. you don't become fanatical about this show without appreciating a ton of dialogue. it's simply that we've had allllllllllll of this buildup, and it's fallen completely flat two weeks in a row, and it has very little to do with action/dialogue balance. it's about a lack of substance. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

The tune playing when the scarred girl was getting her stew from Davos was the same tune that Shireen Baratheon would hum. The look on his face when he saw that little girl was heartbreaking. That’s the kind of stuff that makes this show special. Fuck the whiners. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Can we get a goo-less GOT thread?

Episode was a solid set up show for the big-ass battle.  I loved the fireside chat scene...Brienne getting knighted was cool and Tormund's giant story was fucking awesome.

It will be really interesting to see how they resolve the Danny/Jon conflict.

No shit.  Dude sucks.  He needs to watch 4 on 4 team mma if he wants action right away 

• Like 1

Did you fucks expect a 6-episode long battle for the final season?

Last season the complaint was things moved too fast, people teleported around Westeros, etc. now the complaint is it moves too slow, even through the first two episodes have shown the north preparing for literally the biggest battle of the series. 

• Like 5

Just now, hornian said:

Did you fucks expect a 6-episode long battle for the final season?

Last season the complaint was things moved too fast, people teleported around Westeros, etc. now the complaint is it moves too slow, even through the first two episodes have shown the north preparing for literally the biggest battle of the series. 

Literally the biggest battle in the history of television or film even ha...

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread