2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 hours ago, WBT said:

Thank you.

It is not a "technique" problem.  It is running top speed trying to catch up after you're beat.

It absolutely is a technique problem. First technique problem is getting nothing but air off the line when you are trying to jam the receiver. The second technique problem is that when the receiver slows down to catch the ball, that is when you turn your head to look. If the guy is flying downfield and is hit perfectly in stride, then there is really nothing you can do. But that only happened on the first pass to Polk to start the game, it was absolutely perfect. The other big plays had our guys able to make up ground and Watts had his arms literally in the receivers breadbasket and it still somehow was caught because he was just simply playing blind to the ball. Brooks was the most egregious as the receiver stopped to catch the ball and then Brooks just bowled him over well before the ball got there. Sure it prevented a big play I guess, but it could have easily been an interception.  

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It absolutely is a technique problem. First technique problem is getting nothing but air off the line when you are trying to jam the receiver. The second technique problem is that when the receiver slows down to catch the ball, that is when you turn your head to look. If the guy is flying downfield and is hit perfectly in stride, then there is really nothing you can do. But that only happened on the first pass to Polk to start the game, it was absolutely perfect. The other big plays had our guys able to make up ground and Watts had his arms literally in the receivers breadbasket and it still somehow was caught because he was just simply playing blind to the ball. Brooks was the most egregious as the receiver stopped to catch the ball and then Brooks just bowled him over well before the ball got there. Sure it prevented a big play I guess, but it could have easily been an interception.  

I do have concerns that our guys aren't being coached to turn for the ball....

49 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It absolutely is a technique problem. First technique problem is getting nothing but air off the line when you are trying to jam the receiver. The second technique problem is that when the receiver slows down to catch the ball, that is when you turn your head to look.

Absolutely this. The “turn your head when the WR eyes light up or slows” is taught at least at the HS level.  Not everyone gets it, that’s fair. And perhaps the CFB allowance of face-guarding has altered some coaching styles. But it is taught 

I’m also finally done with Gideon or Joseph or both. They have had the same group for nearly three years, and the secondary is consistently lacking. Our best safeties we’re a walkon and true freshman.  They recruit exceptionally but that’s seemingly it.  Take Nansen as Co-DC/LB to give you another great recruiter, and let PK replace Joseph or Gideon.  

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Bo is making 1M. Color me flabbergasted if LSU thinks they can afford more than that for a position coach.

They'd have to make him DC, and if we have to lose Bo Davis, a conference opponent making him DC is the best case scenario for Texas.

I feel such a sense of calm with all roster and coaching staff related changes. Not worried at all. 

thank you Sark!

• Hook 'Em 2

Bo has been working LSU, Alabama, and Texas for raises over the last 25 years.  With stops driving trucks, slumming it at UTSA, and being banished to the Detroit Lions in between.   I'm guessing he wants to get off the merry go round soon and wants the last stop to be his first.

43 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They'd have to make him DC, and if we have to lose Bo Davis, a conference opponent making him DC is the best case scenario for Texas.

LSU's defense was such a shitshow this year that I don't see Brian Kelly giving the DC gig to someone who's never had that role before.  He needs someone with some decent track record at DC if he wants to be a contender.

So, I think it just comes down to money, which should favor Texas.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Bo has been working LSU, Alabama, and Texas for raises over the last 25 years.  With stops driving trucks, slumming it at UTSA, and being banished to the Detroit Lions in between.   I'm guessing he wants to get off the merry go round soon and wants the last stop to be his first.

100% agree with this. Can't imagine it's a money issue unless they liquidated a children's hospital for this contract. Can never really fault a guy for going back to his alma mater/first coaching stop but I think this would be a decent blow to our DL recruiting. BD's development has been nothing short of spectacular the past two years. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

100% agree with this. Can't imagine it's a money issue unless they liquidated a children's hospital for this contract. Can never really fault a guy for going back to his alma mater/first coaching stop but I think this would be a decent blow to our DL recruiting. BD's development has been nothing short of spectacular the past two years. 

Offer him 1.5 mil and the Co-DC title here.  Money shouldn't be a problem for Texas with selling out season tickets for the foreseeable future

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

but I think this would be a decent blow to our DL recruiting. BD's development has been nothing short of spectacular the past two years. 

Yep, we can kiss that bad ass 25' commit bye if Bo leaves.  And would definitely have to monitor guys like Mitchell, Robinson, and Hills.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Offer him 1.5 mil and the Co-DC title here.  Money shouldn't be a problem for Texas with selling out season tickets for the foreseeable future

What if money isn’t what is driving this and he just wants to go back to his alma mater and the bag is a plus?

Just thinking the other side here.

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

You literally posted this after this was announced

For whatever it's worth, Bo Davis accepted the DL job at USC after his first stint at Texas, only to take the same job at Alabama a week later.  I want Bo to stay, but if this guy is on Sarkisian's radar, it don't mean shit that UCLA just promoted him.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What if money isn’t what is driving this and he just wants to go back to his alma mater and the bag is a plus?

Just thinking the other side here.

Well up it till money is the driving factor.  Either way, I get it.  We can always circle back to Oscar Giles ;)

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

I don't like to see this, but if his primary, specific/new data point is the decision of Dominick McKinley / the McKinleys ... that gives me hope.

image.thumb.png.873ae06360aced2a3719f171966f316f.png

image.thumb.png.deb72aaac2cb4de770a6659aae3679ed.png

This makes zero sense if the "Mama was upset with Bo because of his bus rant" story is true.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

It would probably be impossible to pull off, but if Bo left, I would at least make a call to Rod Wright. He climbed his way from UTSA and Miami to land a job with the Texans. Not sure if nostalgia could make it happen, but making the CFP and having recruiting rolling sure can't hurt.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

It would probably be impossible to pull off, but if Bo left, I would at least make a call to Rod Wright. He climbed his way from UTSA and Miami to land a job with the Texans. Not sure if nostalgia could make it happen, but making the CFP and having recruiting rolling sure can't hurt.

CHIEF

He was a name that popped up in my mind. I don’t think Cristobal would have brought him on if he didn’t have a little recruiting juice.

Randall Joyner is another one but that might be a tough pry away from Ole Miss.

Sarkisian should just say fuck it and pay Davis 1.5+ Mil per year. Make him the highest paid position coach in the country and then go tell Kelly to fuck his own face. 

But if that doesn't work, I wouldn't mind seeing Frank Okam get a look. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sarkisian should just say fuck it and pay Davis 1.5+ Mil per year. Make him the highest paid position coach in the country and then go tell Kelly to fuck his own face. 

McConaughey is already in the scene, maybe Les is playing Sark 🧐

tom cruise GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

He only the assistant DL coach with the Texans. Seems obtainable.

If we're talking alums, Frank Okam would be another one to watch. Had a bller DL at Baylor under Rhule, followed him to the Panthers (only lasted 1 year), then 1 year with the Raiders, now at Toledo. Must not have done too hot in the NFL but still

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Yeah, I was watching a Texans game early in they year and saw Rod Wright talking to Will Anderson a lot on the sidelines. Had no idea he was coaching there until I saw that on TV. 

Don't know how much credit he should get, but the Texans DL has been excellent and a big part of their success this year. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, I was watching a Texans game early in they year and saw Rod Wright talking to Will Anderson a lot on the sidelines. Had no idea he was coaching there until I saw that on TV. 

Don't know how much credit he should get, but the Texans DL has been excellent and a big part of their success this year. 

His UTSA coaching biography: https://goutsa.com/staff/rod-wright is littered with his defensive line setting UTSA records for TFLs and Sacks. Getting pressure on QBs and making a living in the backfield seems to be his forte', and is a definite area for Texas to improve.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

The money is going to be there for Davis; if he’s gone it’s for a promotion or a change of scenery.  

That said, I’d probably kick the tires on someone like Chris Rumph rather than Franklin Okam or Rod Wright who have done okay but haven’t apprenticed under a defensive mastermind/sociopath like Saban (I don’t think Rhule counts even if he started his coaching career on defense).  

Does Bo have any connection to Blake Baker? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to coaching rolodexes. That being said it means they'd have to make Davis one of the highest paid position coaches in the country. He already makes 1m and should be in line for a raise. 

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Does Bo have any connection to Blake Baker? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to coaching rolodexes. That being said it means they'd have to make Davis one of the highest paid position coaches in the country. He already makes 1m and should be in line for a raise. 

They actually do have a connection.  Baker was a GA for Manny _iaz's _efensive staff at Texas when Bo was the DL coach.

Bo Davis is among the best in the business and his replacement would almost certainly be a downgrade. That alone kind of sucks but he’s also been instrumental in rebuilding the culture of the program by all accounts. I’d be very disappointed to lose him but as you and others have been mentioned, it would be more of a pull to LSU than anything Texas did or didn’t do. Not much you can do about that. Hopefully it doesn’t come to pass.

I didn’t know the name Johnny Nansen until now. Kind of an odd resume bouncing between DL, LB, and RB coaching. Seems a little comfort hire-y at first glance to be honest but I’d love to be corrected on that. Just at the surface level Arizona’s defense appears to have improved quite a bit from 2022 to 23 though, so there’s that. Better than Mike Stoops at least.