2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There is also the whole "Johnny Patron" thing to consider with Nansen. Probably not so relevant anymore, but he also did not have a great track record while coaching LBs at USC (big dropoff after 2017). I guess he turned things around at Arizona.

Screenshot_20210119-181433_Twitter.jpg

Thanks - this is what I referred to earlier. My bad @closetojumping

I wonder if this move is really less about money, and more about getting paid to work where his daughter is, and back with his close friend.  (And hopefully, not to go back to drinking with his close friend to creep his daughters’ friends)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, horny_gunman said:

Thanks - this is what I referred to earlier. My bad @closetojumping

I wonder if this move is really less about money, and more about getting paid to work where his daughter is, and back with his close friend.  (And hopefully, not to go back to drinking with his close friend to creep his daughters’ friends)

Poster name checks out

• Haha 2

I think what people aren’t understanding is that our secondary really hasn’t been good since he left after the 2013 season. How many 4 & 5 star DBs have we had that never got developed right? Way too many 

Deshon Elliott was a Thorpe award finalist; he, Brandon Jones, Kris Boyd, and Caden Sterns were all NFL draft picks. PJ Locke has stuck in the league.

The issues with those post 2017 Orlando defenses were schematic.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Huh? 

I know it's Satya and all that but Cameron Smith and John Houston JR was a very good LB duo in '18. Cameron Smith was a 3-time All Pac 12 selection. 

One second-team All-Pac 12 selection in 2018 (for Smith as a senior), and honorable mention All-Pac 12 in 2019 for Houston as a senior. That's it? Those were USC's leading tacklers on what were pretty terrible defenses, in Nansen's third and fourth years at USC:

image.png

Better hope that's not the best Nansen can do at UT, or we're sunk.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

One second-team All-Pac 12 selection in 2018 (for Smith as a senior), and honorable mention All-Pac 12 in 2019 for Houston as a senior. That's it? Those were USC's leading tacklers on what were pretty terrible defenses:

image.png

Better hope that's not the best Nansen can do at UT, or we're sunk.

Nothing like using the guys least recent resume point, during a recognizably flawed coaching situation, to project the future.

Guys, the best Nick Saban ever did at Michigan St. was 7-5. LSU and Alabama better hope he can do better than that or they’re fucked!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nothing like using the guys least recent resume point, during a recognizably flawed coaching situation, to project the future.

Guys, the best Nick Saban ever did at Michigan St. was 7-5. LSU and Alabama better hope he can do better than that or they’re fucked!

It's also funny that Satya's starting point for development is "after 2017". The year following Nansen producing 2 first team All-Pac 12 linebackers. 

Somehow, Satya thinks producing 2 first team all Pac 12 linbebackers, 1 2nd team all Pac 12 linebacker, and 1 honorable mention all Pac 12 LB in a 3 year timeframe  is an indictment against Nansen's development. With a defensive coordinator that no college program is even willing to hire as a position coach by the way. Fucking incredible. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Deshon Elliott was a Thorpe award finalist; he, Brandon Jones, Kris Boyd, and Caden Sterns were all NFL draft picks. PJ Locke has stuck in the league.

Not solely schematic. There was a talent issue too.

Kris Boyd was super talented, but had poor discipline. Holton Hill was more undisciplined off the field than on it.

Deshon Elliott left after the 2017 season, and that was a pretty good defense that year.

Brandon Jones had great athleticism and run support, but bad ball skills.

Chris Brown was limited athletically, but solid in run support. BJ Foster got worse every year after his first, overall lack of discipline. DMo is a linebacker.

PJ Locke was solid and a likely victim of a bad scheme. 

D'Shawn Jamison could also have been used better. I think Josh Thompson has all the talent in the world, but he was just always a step or two late.

Sterns was hurt often after his great freshman season, and tried to play through some injuries that made it tough for him to make the same plays we came to expect.

Most of the guys they recruited at DB were overrated. Jalen Green lacked the speed and technique to play corner. He finished as an average safety at Miss St. Chris Adimora finished his career as a linebacker at SMU. Kenyatta Watson, Tyler Owens, Xavian Alford, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This Nansen discussion is a prime example. Why in the fuck would you frame LB development at USC "after 2017" when that's the year he produced 2 first-team All-Pac 12 linebackers. It's so weird. I can live with the negative takes if he would actually frame it in an intellectually honest way. 

Why in the world would you frame Nelsen's LB development in that way unless you were just searching for a negative take? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

On 1/4/2024 at 2:52 PM, closetojumping said:

There were numerous issues at UW while Lake was the HC, including him having a physical altercation with a player that played a role in his firing. I get confused as to why people are so high on him and think he'd get through compliance. 

George-Costanza-was-that-wrong-800x450.jpg.688b487c738f2f16a0b98520af2ff8cb.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chili dog said:

He has skins on the wall. He coaches technique. He teaches guys how to study film. He is the reason we were DBU at one time. 

He was absolutely cutting edge...in 2004.

Hiring him now would be a terrible decision.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The posters who wax about akina have to all be old themselves and struggling on some level with society moving past them as well. And rimbo.  

Yes.  And?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

There is also the whole "Johnny Patron" thing to consider with Nansen. Probably not so relevant anymore, but he also did not have a great track record while coaching LBs at USC (big dropoff after 2017). I guess he turned things around at Arizona.

Screenshot_20210119-181433_Twitter.jpg

Let he who has not pined after the Joey’s on Lake Union (when it was still there) waitstaff cast the first stone.

Not solely schematic. There was a talent issue too.

Kris Boyd was super talented, but had poor discipline. Holton Hill was more undisciplined off the field than on it.
Deshon Elliott left after the 2017 season, and that was a pretty good defense that year.
Brandon Jones had great athleticism and run support, but bad ball skills.
Chris Brown was limited athletically, but solid in run support. BJ Foster got worse every year after his first, overall lack of discipline. DMo is a linebacker.

PJ Locke was solid and a likely victim of a bad scheme. 
D'Shawn Jamison could also have been used better. I think Josh Thompson has all the talent in the world, but he was just always a step or two late.
Sterns was hurt often after his great freshman season, and tried to play through some injuries that made it tough for him to make the same plays we came to expect.

Most of the guys they recruited at DB were overrated. Jalen Green lacked the speed and technique to play corner. He finished as an average safety at Miss St. Chris Adimora finished his career as a linebacker at SMU. Kenyatta Watson, Tyler Owens, Xavian Alford, etc. 

Man I forgot about Hilton Hill entirely. You’re kind of making my point for me though. There’s been no shortage of DBs coming in and leaving as NFL prospects, despite many of them coming in overrated as you mentioned. It’s really the one group Texas consistently kept putting people into the league even during down years. For the most part those secondaries didn’t have the benefit of playing dominant defensive fronts like this year’s group did (partial exception for 2020 with Ossai finally being used correctly).

Past couple years, outside of a couple new adds, it’s just a straight talent issue. That’s not necessarily on Sark as you don’t control what you inherit and it takes time to get young guys up to speed.

I could have been more obvious about the point I was making. The guys who were good were generally there before Herman got there. He brought in Sterns, DMo, Jamison, Foster, Cook, and Green. Adimora, Watson, Owens, Alford, and the rest were his as well. 

Orlando's defense was good with Strong's guys. Got progressively worse. 

PK's defense has gotten progressively better since getting here. Sweat, Cook, Thompson, Jamison, Crawford, Barron, Ford, Gbenda, and Bush were all guys who were on a roster with Herman as head coach, but eventually contributed to a good Texas defense under Sark. 

Outside of Sweat, Ford, and Barron, who are we potentially hurting over losing? 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Man I forgot about Hilton Hill entirely. You’re kind of making my point for me though. There’s been no shortage of DBs coming in and leaving as NFL prospects, despite many of them coming in overrated as you mentioned. It’s really the one group Texas consistently kept putting people into the league even during down years. For the most part those secondaries didn’t have the benefit of playing dominant defensive fronts like this year’s group did (partial exception for 2020 with Ossai finally being used correctly).

I think the issue since 2013 has been talent development. The players might have been rated properly out of high school but under-developed. It says a lot when they flounder in college but then get to the league and succeed. That tells you the talent was wasted in college and the kid probably lost money because of it. We collected talent based on our old productivity, and then we squandered it. We used to develop talent. Mike Huff was a 3️. I think Cedrick Griffin was either a 3️ or low 4️. Michael Griffin was a high school running back.
Again, I’m not promoting Akina as a new secondary coach. I’m just saying he set a baseline that we haven’t met since he left. It would be nice to have someone who taught fundamentals in the secondary again. I do agree that the talent has tapered off in recent years. I don’t expect many of the guys transferring out to have successful pro careers. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This Nansen discussion is a prime example. Why in the fuck would you frame LB development at USC "after 2017" when that's the year he produced 2 first-team All-Pac 12 linebackers. It's so weird. I can live with the negative takes if he would actually frame it in an intellectually honest way. 

Why in the world would you frame Nelsen's LB development in that way unless you were just searching for a negative take? 

Is this a serious question? Nansen became LB coach at USC in 2016. Do you think BJM was an all-world LB coach at Texas because Hicks, Edmond and Jinkens were All-Big 12 in his first two years on the job? Do you think Diaz was a terrific coach at Texas because Acho and Keenan Robinson were All-Big 12 in 2011? "Development" doesn't mean doing well with experienced LBs you inherited from your predecessor. There are countless examples of coaches who did well with inherited experience the first few years and then fell off once the players who developed under them took over starting roles.

Edited by satyanash

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

So your evidence that LB was bad at USC was to remind us Nansen was Sark’s drinking buddy, which we all already knew and had been discussed/dismissed, and that Sark was a truly lost individual at the time in the deepest grips of his addiction(s)?

I realize we lost to Washington so you’re going to dive back into the Eeyore pool with maximum haste, but “guys his Lb coaching might be suspect because Sark fucked a waitress while married at the time” isn’t your best work. 

Satya can twist the sun coming up in the morning to just an inevitable sunburn which can only lead to skin cancer.  It’s kinda his thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Is this a serious question? Nansen became LB coach at USC in 2016. Do you think BJM was an all-world LB coach at Texas because Hicks, Edmond and Jinkens were All-Big 12 in his first two years on the job? Do you think Diaz was a terrific coach at Texas because Acho and Keenan Robinson were All-Big 12 in 2011? "Development" doesn't mean doing well with experienced LBs you inherited from your predecessor. There are countless examples of coaches who did well with inherited experience the first few years and then fell off once the players who developed under them took over starting roles.

Development is inclusive of all the years he was the coach there. Do you not think Chris Jackson should get credit for Worthy's improvement this year simply because he inherited him? 

Also, this argument is so fucking stupid to begin with. Cameron Smith's development was in a big part because of Nelsen. He was his position coach 3/4 years. This wasn't some first or second team All-Pac 12 player he inherited. Come the fuck on man. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah but none of them went in the first or second round 

• Hook 'Em 1

It feels like we are somehow upgrading every time a good assistant leaves. 

Dratyon to Choice. 

Choate to Nansen. 

Marion to Jackson is a bit more questionable but I really like what Jackson has done so far. 

I will say, this makes me want to see a DB coaching change even more because it's pretty clear Sark can make good assistant hires. 

• Hook 'Em 9

31 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Sorry, missed that qualifier

No worries. It’s also notable to mention that we didn’t recruit linebacker well under that tenure either, and that impacts coverage integrity too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The posters who wax about akina have to all be old themselves and struggling on some level with society moving past them as well. And rimbo.  

I'm confused. Are you saying I'm not old and struggling on some level with society moving past me?

• Haha 3