2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think the first call should to be Freddie Roach, Alabama's DL coach since 2020. He may turn you down as an Alabama alum but you have to make the call. Maybe it's Lanning at Bama and he wants to bring Tosh Lupoi and Tony Tuioti (who also has a tangential connection to Sark through working under Justin Wilcox at Cal for a couple years), at which point Texas is a really attractive landing spot for Roach.

That said, I think Okam or Wright would be serviceable at a minimum and it is always cool to have an alum on staff. Just not sure they are more than fall back candidates.

On the defensive side of the ball, all the hires have had a relationship with either Justin Wilcox (most of them) or Muschamp.  Bo Davis is the one that boggles me but Sark had hired him at USC in 2013.   Roach or Tuioti make a lot of sense, but if it is Lanning to Bama, one of these is available 

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Dennis Franchione left it to go to A&M.

How'd that work out for both of them? He was fleeing the consequences of NCAA sanctions of his own making.

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Was it, Mike Shula wasn't exactly ripping it up.

And Mackovic didn't exactly rip it up here. And Ty Willingham sucked at Notre Dame. HEY WAIT, MAYBE... if you're a shit coach, it doesn't matter where you are?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Alabama's a great job but more like a top 10-15 job than a top 5 job.

What the fuck. Bama has been a top 5 job since I've been following college football. Bama, Texas, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame. Those are your top 5.

Sure, a couple of those schools have rivals who have had more recent success (tOSU, OU), but that doesn't make them better jobs; they've just been better about hiring good coaches. We, in particular, have sucked shit with our hiring. We kinda backed into a decent coach with Mack Brown and the jury's still out if Sark was lucky (2024 is the year we'll really start to see if he's a keeper, in my arrogant opinion). Bama hit the jackpot with Saban, but he wasn't significantly better at Bama than at LSU; but he had a better program to work with.

Those 5 schools don't generally hire well because they don't have to make good hires to have a lot of success. When they somehow luck into it... they win 6 national titles.

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tuscaloosa has an airport? You could probably page everyone in there with two dixie cups and a long string.

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You have to fly in to Birmingham.

That's not entirely true. Tuscaloosa has a small airport. How do I know this? Because of the reports that came out of Alabama when we played them this season of everyone bitching about the private airport being too full to receive planes becuase the Texas private jets took up all the slots. 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's not entirely true. Tuscaloosa has a small airport. How do I know this? Because of the reports that came out of Alabama when we played them this season of everyone bitching about the private airport being too full to receive planes becuase the Texas private jets took up all the slots. 

Let them be....you can't explain anything to the poors who do not understand this. 

• Haha 1

Against my better judgement, but knowing it's better than cheese puns or some other painful swerve into a topic like, oh, lets say debating the implications of using NTTIAWRT on a message board, how would some of you folks define what makes a "top 5 program" in the year of our Lord, 2024? Because "it's always been one as far as I've been watching" doesn't really do it for me. The top things on my list would be, in no particularly order, fertile recruiting region, how big a city and how many busineses, financial wherewithal and number of living alumni, confererence, facilities, and existing brand and history, academic restrictions. 

I sure as fuck wouldn't have put Michigan in that list over Ohio State until maybe this year when Michigan showed themselves to not be interested in ethics or  of the high morality they claim. And I still wouldn't becuase I think Ohio State has a more rabid alumni base geared towards football, and Columbus offers more NIL opportunities than Ann Arbor. 

Bama has an alumni and net money net worth problem. Are they top 5? Maybe. But I hardly think it's a slam dunk, it's a fucking argument. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5

Bama will, and have, sell their souls to be great at football.  A coach there gets what they say they need.  So far, they haven’t been price constrained. Will they going forward and is that a reason that Saban decided to pull the cord?  I don’t know, but the general sentiment I’m getting when reading about NIL is that it’s unsustainably crazy right now and will have to settle down.  If it does, bama will stay bama and the job will be a top 5 job, with top 1 pressure and expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Top 5 could include long-term success/momentum on the field as long as the other factors are strong too. Top 5 is probably OSU, USC, Texas, and then arguments over Notre Dame, Bama, OU, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, Florida St.  

edit

Also, the right billionaire with long term financial commitments could turn 20 different programs into a top 5 job. 

Edited by Dbeasy

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Against my better judgement, but knowing it's better than cheese puns or some other painful swerve into a topic like, oh, lets say debating the implications of using NTTIAWRT on a message board, how would some of you folks define what makes a "top 5 program" in the year of our Lord, 2024? Because "it's always been one as far as I've been watching" doesn't really do it for me. The top things on my list would be, in no particularly order, fertile recruiting region, how big a city and how many busineses, financial wherewithal and number of living alumni, conferernce, facilities, and existing brand and history, academic restrictions. 

I sure as fuck wouldn't have put Michigan in that list over Ohio State until maybe this year when Michigan showed themselves to not be interested in ethics or morality of the high morality they claim. And I still wouldn't becuase I think Ohio State has a more rabid alumni base geared towards football, and Columbus offers more NIL opportunities than Ann Arbor. 

Bama has an alumni and net money net worth problem. Are they top 5? Maybe. But I hardly think it's a slam dunk, it's a fucking argument. 

This isn't a very fun internet answer, but I think trying to narrow it down to a top 5 is a fool's errand in the new era of college football and temporarily influenced by recent results.  I think there are legitimately 15 or so schools that can be considered in the top tier and capable of going on a run, and coaching determines who rises to the top and who flounders.

Criteria:

1) Need to be in the new SEC or B1G

2) Need to have access to fertile recruiting base

3) Need to have robust alumni base willing to spend money

4) Helps (but not necessary) to have a history of winning 

5) Not aggy   

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bama will, and have, sell their souls to be great at football.  A coach there gets what they say they need.  So far, they haven’t been price constrained. Will they going forward and is that a reason that Saban decided to pull the cord?  I don’t know, but the general sentiment I’m getting when reading about NIL is that it’s unsustainably crazy right now and will have to settle down.  If it does, bama will stay bama and the job will be a top 5 job, with top 1 pressure and expectations. 

Have they not been price constrained? Or have they been able to operate at a discount because of Saban's name and reputation of putting dudes into the pros? 

Texas A&M hasn't been price constraned until about 3 months ago, that's a fact. How's that working out for them?

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Against my better judgement, but knowing it's better than cheese puns or some other painful swerve into a topic like, oh, lets say debating the implications of using NTTIAWRT on a message board, how would some of you folks define what makes a "top 5 program" in the year of our Lord, 2024? Because "it's always been one as far as I've been watching" doesn't really do it for me. The top things on my list would be, in no particularly order, fertile recruiting region, how big a city and how many busineses, financial wherewithal and number of living alumni, conferernce, facilities, and existing brand and history, academic restrictions. 

I sure as fuck wouldn't have put Michigan in that list over Ohio State until maybe this year when Michigan showed themselves to not be interested in ethics or morality of the high morality they claim. And I still wouldn't becuase I think Ohio State has a more rabid alumni base geared towards football, and Columbus offers more NIL opportunities than Ann Arbor. 

Can I just give you my list of top 10 jobs moving forward? 

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Georgia

4. USC

5. LSU

6. Oregon

7.  Tennessee

8. FSU

9. Michigan

10a. Texas A&M

10b. Alabama

Just off the top of my head....I think 7-9 can be reordered however you see fit. I have Bama/A&M a tie because Bama has the results and has proven throughout the decades they can hire the right guy, obviously having 2 of the best coaches ever coach there.  LSU is 5th because those cajun fucks will do whatever it takes to win and have the results to back up, RIP children hospital funds. 

notre dame not making an appearance on anyone's "top" lists is pretty wild. It's amazing how much the shine has come off of that program. But given the playoff expansion, they'll almost always be favored to make the playoffs, so it's still gotta be a pretty good job. 

Bobby (OTF) brought up an interesting name this morning for DL coach - former Atlanta DC Ryan Nielsen.  Nielsen has spent most of his career in college but has been in the NFL since 2017 - first in New Orleans and most recently on Arthur Smith's staff in Atlanta.  Sark and Nielsen had a couple of years of overlap at USC when Sark was QB coach and Nielsen was a player and then Grad Asst.  Bobby said that Nielsen was known as a recruiting witch in his time at NC State (2013-2016) and recruited 4 NFL players to the DL there.  Total speculation from Bobby - he has no idea if he wants to come back to the college game - just a name that occurred to him given his experience/recruiting and connection to Sark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Nielsen

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Georgia

4. USC

5. LSU

6. Oregon

7.  Tennessee

8. FSU

9. Michigan

10a. Texas A&M

10b. Alabama

Just off the top of my head....I think 7-9 can be reordered however you see fit. I have Bama/A&M a tie because Bama has the results and has proven throughout the decades they can hire the right guy, obviously having 2 of the best coaches ever coach there.  LSU is 5th because those cajun fucks will do whatever it takes to win and have the results to back up, RIP children hospital funds. 

A&M appearing in the top 10, but also being tied with 'Bama. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952yi1de2eorar0yy5fl0

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

notre dame not making an appearance on anyone's "top" lists is pretty wild. It's amazing how much the shine has come off of that program. But given the playoff expansion, they'll almost always be favored to make the playoffs, so it's still gotta be a pretty good job. 

It's not that there's any shine to fall off, there. Notre Dame will always have more t-shirt fans than anyone else; they will always be given a benefit of the doubt no other program will get. ND's problem is the same as Michigan's, USC's, Texas's and Bama's: We get so into how great our program is that, when it comes time to hire a coach, we fuck around and hire shitty coaches. Then those shitty coaches show up and do a decent-to-mediocre job (generally) because they have the support of a top program, masking the fact that they in fact suck, unless they happen to be the suckiest suck who ever sucked (thanks, Charlie).

Sure, @SydneyCarton, Bama doesn't have alumni resources. But it's in incredibly fertile recruiting grounds, and whereas at e.g. UT you'll have the local media looking for cracks that the journalism school grads are going to report on to try to make their careers with a big story and cops who are hoping to make their careers with a high-profile player arrest and so on and so forth, the entire state of Alabama is going to fall in line with doing whatever is necessary to support Bama football.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A&M appearing in the top 10, but also being tied with 'Bama. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952yi1de2eorar0yy5fl0

For a reason you kind of put forth a little up in this thread is why I don't have Bama high. But we do know A&M will spend even though they are currently constrained. and you only asked for a top 5 but I went 10 and it starts to get tricky past 8. 

I think A&M is better job than Penn St, UCLA, Washington, Clemson moving forward in this era. Maybe Clemson gets a better coach and that changes but of what we know now they're ahead. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So what the fuck is going on? Surly is tweeting out being worried about Sark to Bama now? 

People realized that Sark’s buyout is only $5M. There is a difference between a buyout for what the school owes you if you’re fired ($15M) vs what you owe the school if you leave willingly ($5M) as stated in the contract.

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Georgia

4. USC

5. LSU

6. Oregon

7.  Tennessee

8. FSU

9. Michigan

10a. Texas A&M

10b. Alabama

As long as FSU isn’t in the SEC or Big 10, they don’t belong on a list. I’d still put Florida above them for that reason. They’ve been wandering in the desert for a bit, but that job has a lot going for it. 

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's not that there's any shine to fall off, there. Notre Dame will always have more t-shirt fans than anyone else; they will always be given a benefit of the doubt no other program will get. ND's problem is the same as Michigan's, USC's, Texas's and Bama's: We get so into how great our program is that, when it comes time to hire a coach, we fuck around and hire shitty coaches. Then those shitty coaches show up and do a decent-to-mediocre job (generally) because they have the support of a top program, masking the fact that they in fact suck, unless they happen to be the suckiest suck who ever sucked (thanks, Charlie).

Sure, @SydneyCarton, Bama doesn't have alumni resources. But it's in incredibly fertile recruiting grounds, and whereas at e.g. UT you'll have the local media looking for cracks that the journalism school grads are going to report on to try to make their careers with a big story and cops who are hoping to make their careers with a high-profile player arrest and so on and so forth, the entire state of Alabama is going to fall in line with doing whatever is necessary to support Bama football.

I would list Notre Dame's largest outstanding issue at this point to be a combination of higher academic standards, as well as a reduced ability to recruit nationally becuase they've been on a down streak. That is reversible. If you wanted to throw in a general decline in interest in organized religion for young people, I wouldn't argue. 

Bama's recruiting ground is fertile if you're calling it the entire southeast, including Florida. But that is a high level of competition, and it's not entirely the same as the advantage Texas has, or Florida schools, when they have programs chugging in the right direction. And if they're sharing a footprint for recruitng with schools that have greater alumni resources, like say Georgia, or say the Gators, I'm not seeing your clear cut advantage at all. 

I find the idea that the players have a target on their backs by cops or local journalists as being a huge detriment to a program like UT to be laughably dismissable. You think Kirk Bohls has an outized influence on  why we've sucked balls the last decade? He's an irritant to superfans like us. Meanwhile, lets look at the arrest records of UT football players the last decade versus, say, College Station. WE look real good. When was the last time we showed up as a contender on the Fulmer Cup? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I would list Notre Dame's largest outstanding issue at this point to be a combination of higher academic standards, as well as a reduced ability to recruit nationally becuase they've been on a down streak. That is reversible. If you wanted to throw in a general decline in interest in organized religion for young people, I wouldn't argue. 

Bama's recruiting ground is fertile if you're calling it the entire southeast, including Florida. But that is a high level of competition, and it's not entirely the same as the advantage Texas has, or Florida schools, when they have programs chugging in the right direction. And if they're sharing a footprint for recruitng with schools that have greater alumni resources, like say Georgia, or say the Gators, I'm not seeing your clear cut advantage at all. 

I find the idea that the players have a target on their backs by cops or local journalists as being a huge detriment to a program like UT to be laughably dismissable. You think Kirk Bohls has an outized influence on  why we've sucked balls the last decade? He's an irritant to superfans like us. Meanwhile, lets look at the arrest records of UT football players the last decade versus, say, College Station. WE look real good. When was the last time we showed up as a contender on the Fulmer Cup? 

The issue Florida has is that there's 2 other schools in the state that are big-time programs. Bama has... nothing. (Auburn doesn't count.)

No, I'm not thinking about Bohls; how you saw me use the word "journalism" and associated that term with that guy, I have no fucking idea.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think A&M is better job than Penn St, UCLA, Washington, Clemson moving forward in this era. Maybe Clemson gets a better coach and that changes but of what we know now they're ahead. 

A&M is where good coaches' careers go to die. You cannot have sustained success there. There's many reasons for it, but the main reason is "Aggy gonna Aggy." It's not a top 25 program. You can make a lot of money by getting hired there, but if you measure a program by success -- if you want a job where you can compete for titles at least once -- you don't go there.

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Against my better judgement, but knowing it's better than cheese puns or some other painful swerve into a topic like, oh, lets say debating the implications of using NTTIAWRT on a message board, how would some of you folks define what makes a "top 5 program" in the year of our Lord, 2024? Because "it's always been one as far as I've been watching" doesn't really do it for me. The top things on my list would be, in no particularly order, fertile recruiting region, how big a city and how many busineses, financial wherewithal and number of living alumni, confererence, facilities, and existing brand and history, academic restrictions. 

I sure as fuck wouldn't have put Michigan in that list over Ohio State until maybe this year when Michigan showed themselves to not be interested in ethics or  of the high morality they claim. And I still wouldn't becuase I think Ohio State has a more rabid alumni base geared towards football, and Columbus offers more NIL opportunities than Ann Arbor. 

Texas A&M (ranked 1-5 , with 5 being best)
fertile recruiting region - 5
how big a city and how many busineses - 2.5
financial wherewithal and number of living alumni - 5
confererence - 5
facilities - 5++
existing brand and history - 3
academic restrictions - 5

Tell me they're not a top 5 job.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In addition to their academic issues and their downward trend in off success....I think the biggest Albatross for Notre Dame is being a damn independent. There are like 1 or 2 games a year that College Football at large cares about involving ND.  There isn't any conference drama or excitement to their schedule and no one gives a crap that they play purdue or Navy or Stanford every year....I think it is legitimately becoming a drag on their program.  People/recruits don't see them being independent as a draw anymore.

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

The issue Florida has is that there's 2 other schools in the state that are big-time programs. Bama has... nothing. (Auburn doesn't count.)

No, I'm not thinking about Bohls; how you saw me use the word "journalism" and associated that term with that guy, I have no fucking idea.

A&M is where good coaches' careers go to die. You cannot have sustained success there. There's many reasons for it, but the main reason is "Aggy gonna Aggy." It's not a top 25 program. You can make a lot of money by getting hired there, but if you measure a program by success -- if you want a job where you can compete for titles at least once -- you don't go there.

For recruiting Auburn very much does count. Even when Bama is at their peak, AU can swipe the guys they want in the lower half of their class with the "be the star in our class" sell. LSU is the program with a clear instate path.

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

The problem is the expectations for a program from the toxic fanbase that hasn't won shit is that you have to win shit (that they've never won) or get fired. 

If they would just accept who they are in the CFB world, this would be totally acceptable instead of getting you fired. 

image.png.8c4dde70f4fec9b8cd69d3561886de1e.png

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

confererence - 5
facilities - 5++

They're not even a top 25 job.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

The problem is the expectations for a program from the toxic fanbase that hasn't won shit is that you have to win shit (that they've never won) or get fired. 

If they would just accept who they are in the CFB world, this would be totally acceptable instead of getting you fired. 

I think they need to get rid of some of their traditions they force onto the coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Whether he turned them down or his buyout made it impossible, Lanning played this pretty well 

Somewhere on TexAgs:  See we are the same as Alabama.  It's not that we are a backwater, cult stuck in 1970s culture and norms,  It's that Lanning really loves his current gig.  AL new coach will be similar to Elko....

Just now, Aslan24 said:

Norvell?

I said the other day it would be hilarious to watch the meltdown from the ACC that Bama stole FSU's playoff spot and then stole their coach.  FSU gonna sue errbody. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Oh, I agree. And that might have a chance of happening if they didn't force every incoming freshman to go to Fish Camp and brainwash them into thinking that their turditions made them more than they are. They're deliberately creating and breeding the very culture that prevents them from ever recognizing what they need to do to actually become a championship program.

Make no mistake... A&M has other flaws (like being out in the middle of nowhere) that hurt them, but those can be worked with. They can't fix their culture of mediocrity without changing who they are, but who they are is all they have.

So they can throw money at coaches. So they can throw money at recruits. But they will fail anyway. That is their culture.

Some really great coaches have coached there... and always done worse than they did at other jobs. That's reality, and it's why anyone who considers it a top 5 job, or even a top 25 job, is out of their minds.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Why in the fuck was this discussion started in this fucking thread at a time where we have an open coaching position and our current HC is being mentioned for another job.

christmas vacation GIF

Wait, you are asking why people are discussing what coaching jobs are desirable in the Texas Coaches thread when there are desirable coaching jobs available - which might be offered to the Texas Coaches.

18 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Auburn fucking counts. They've won a recent national title, gone undefeated again, and been fucking relevant. This is a bad fucking take. 

Ok. Tell me about the *real* journalists that are the ones driving the UT program into the dust from 2009 - 2022. We'll all wait. You brought it up as a major contributing factor, so lets fucking have it. 

18 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

confererence - 5
facilities - 5++

Pretty easily. They've never won anything, of note, in 3 major sports, in almost 100 years. 

I can substitite Vanderbilt and GA Tech into that list, some of the numbers shift, but it would be almost as compelling an argument. 

But if I overaly Michigan State to your graph, it's pretty identical as well. Are they in your top 5? 

17 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

In addition to their academic issues and their downward trend in off success....I think the biggest Albatross for Notre Dame is being a damn independent. There are like 1 or 2 games a year that College Football at large cares about involving ND.  There isn't any conference drama or excitement to their schedule and no one gives a crap that they play purdue or Navy or Stanford every year....I think it is legitimately becoming a drag on their program.  People/recruits don't see them being independent as a draw anymore.

Notre Dame isn't completely independant anymore, they're partially in the ACC. And there's usually more than 2 games, dude.  THey played 4 ranked teams (at the time of playing) plus Clemson this year. I don't think kids give a fuck about being independant either way if the program is wininng and competitive in big games. 

10 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Why in the fuck was this discussion started in this fucking thread at a time where we have an open coaching position and our current HC is being mentioned for another job.

Me. Feel free to bring us some super substantive open coaching position news or discussion if you're so inclined. You've got some Sark scoop that isn't just manufactured clickbait bullshit, feel free to fucking share about it. Otherwise, get fucked. 

image.png.5b0fb6b57c53a3a27be0f3b7ea878f0a.png

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

How'd that work out for both of them? He was fleeing the consequences of NCAA sanctions of his own making.

And Mackovic didn't exactly rip it up here. And Ty Willingham sucked at Notre Dame. HEY WAIT, MAYBE... if you're a shit coach, it doesn't matter where you are?

What the fuck. Bama has been a top 5 job since I've been following college football. Bama, Texas, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame. Those are your top 5.

Sure, a couple of those schools have rivals who have had more recent success (tOSU, OU), but that doesn't make them better jobs; they've just been better about hiring good coaches. We, in particular, have sucked shit with our hiring. We kinda backed into a decent coach with Mack Brown and the jury's still out if Sark was lucky (2024 is the year we'll really start to see if he's a keeper, in my arrogant opinion). Bama hit the jackpot with Saban, but he wasn't significantly better at Bama than at LSU; but he had a better program to work with.

Those 5 schools don't generally hire well because they don't have to make good hires to have a lot of success. When they somehow luck into it... they win 6 national titles.

The thing is, the landscape has shifted pretty dramatically from what it looked like for most of that period. Bama is not going to be a top tier job in the era of NIL. As I list them out it's clear sing the top 10-15 description was a stretch; it's solidly top ten, but I think the following are a cut above: Georgia, USC, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State.

And Alabama moving forward probably falls into that Tier 1B group - albeit at the upper end - with Oregon, Oklahoma, ND, LSU, Penn State, etc.  

19 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

confererence - 5
facilities - 5++

Aggie fanbase -5

Milkmen -25

Anyone putting atm in the top 10 or 15 of college football jobs should be forced to enroll there and get a degree as punishment not just for their stupidity but for their temerity for posting it in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2