2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Some say he's a better pitmaster than E-Rob...

EAPtp-UXkAE7_z2?format=jpg&name=large

I have many questions about this picture, much less this hire. I’ll start with this: is that gloved hand sneaking up behind him Ronald McDonald with a job offer?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Pit Master I believe you're thinking was Terry Price, not E-Rob. And since Terry Price is dead, that's a low bar. 

It's hard to tell in that pic, but is he smoking a joint, or is that just some trick of the coloring/shrub behind him?

My first guess was khat. Then again, I have no idea why a man employed by an NFL team would be chewing a controlled substance, used primarily in the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa, while flipping burgers in the common area of a suburban apartment complex. This entire saga is quite confusing.

Was the “Sark’s got his man” reporting this guy or was it Rod and he hadn’t accepted? My point all along when people were handwringing about Rod and Frank was that you could do much worse than either of those men. I’m impressed and stunned at how, among the multitude of supposed plugged-in Texas Football media wonks, we were given other names like Rocker, Hurtt, Nielsen, the Tech DL coach, Ed O, and not a goddamn one of them even mentioned this dude. Oh well, we’ll see. I’m pretty neutral about it, but I’ll still advocate for Frank to return to the program in some capacity in the future.

P.S. The Choice comparison is grade A delusional bullshit.

31 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Not to be an external skeptic but I recall feeling this way about post-Muschamp Mack hires.   

Wait, you mean you were questioning the bona fides of…BO DAVIS??? That résumé was sketchy as fuck spending so much time with the greatest program builder/defensive mastermind of all time. Or was it Diaz, who spent most of his time with noted program builder, Bobby Bowden, and his defensive gurus, Mickey Andrews, and Chuck Amato, but did work for offensively-minded Bowden acolyte, Rick Stockstill? Was it those 25 days of Gray? Surely you aren’t referencing the late Greg Robinson in his pinch-hitter role post-Diaz.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

This is 100% about getting an in with D-line recruits from the Atlanta area, which has a knack for producing some good ones. This guy is from there and recruited plenty of guys from there to WKU. And the NFL experience is an even bigger plus. Whole lot of stupid in this thread. I think it’s a great hire. 

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yep you guys are all correct and I’m the stupid one. Adding a coach with NFL experience and Georgia recruiting ties is going to be a huge net negative to the program. Can’t believe I didn’t see it sooner.

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Hired because he grew up there? No. 

Hired because he has a (small) but proven track record of recruiting the area? Yes. And it’s pretty ignorant to think that wasn’t a huge factor. He’s going to be fine and his time with the Dolphins will give him added credibility with players and recruits. The only negative I’m seeing is that he’s probably not going to land us Gustavo Cordova.

The rare Helobious triple down. We're so fucked.

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, hook me said:

Sark got HIS guy. Was Rod a candidate? Yes. Was O a possibility? My gut says he wouldn't turn down a chance to beat LSU & we had the money to get him here. But if you've been paying attention you'd know that Sark wanted a guy that he knew he could hang onto for a few years to avoid the trouble Saban had at Bama. He saw how difficult it was to have that much staff turnover every year and that's why I think this guy was actually number 1 on the board. So what's he do? He goes and gets an under the radar, up & coming, NFL guy. Make no mistake, people in the Dolphins organization rave, RAVE, about this guy. I had one NFL coordinator reach out to me personally and talk about how this guy is going to be a HC one day. That's how good he is & Sark got him at a discount because he's buying low. This sets up the defensive side nicely because you know what you have in PK, you have a natural successor in Nansen should PK move on, & now you have a guy that can come along after that should he prove himself as capable as what I've been told. Is he going to struggle recruiting? Maybe, but keep in mind the NIL at UT is a huge weapon for every coach & don't be surprised if T-Choice accompanies him when visiting some of the higher profile recruits - at least until he gets his feet under him in that area.

All in all this is an B+ hire with a chance for us to look back on it as an A+ here in 3-4 years. 

It was the best I could do off the top of my head

Almost perfect. You forgot to mention the calls you received from numerous HS coaches raving about the hire. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, hook me said:

Sark got HIS guy. Was Rod a candidate? Yes. Was O a possibility? My gut says he wouldn't turn down a chance to beat LSU & we had the money to get him here. But if you've been paying attention you'd know that Sark wanted a guy that he knew he could hang onto for a few years to avoid the trouble Saban had at Bama. He saw how difficult it was to have that much staff turnover every year and that's why I think this guy was actually number 1 on the board. So what's he do? He goes and gets an under the radar, up & coming, NFL guy. Make no mistake, people in the Dolphins organization rave, RAVE, about this guy. I had one NFL coordinator reach out to me personally and talk about how this guy is going to be a HC one day. That's how good he is & Sark got him at a discount because he's buying low. This sets up the defensive side nicely because you know what you have in PK, you have a natural successor in Nansen should PK move on, & now you have a guy that can come along after that should he prove himself as capable as what I've been told. Is he going to struggle recruiting? Maybe, but keep in mind the NIL at UT is a huge weapon for every coach & don't be surprised if T-Choice accompanies him when visiting some of the higher profile recruits - at least until he gets his feet under him in that area.

All in all this is an B+ hire with a chance for us to look back on it as an A+ here in 3-4 years. 

Where do I send my $9.95?

19 minutes ago, hook me said:

I gave you facts and you gave me fantasy. If you think this guy was Sarkisian’s first choice, have I got some deals I’d like to show you. 

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Why don’t we just hire the guy from the quote?

Because he left us to go to LSU. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, austintx said:

Why the fuck would he not site his source? Oh yeah, because he just made this tweet up.

Nah, he talks to this one DL trainer all the time and had him on the YT show a couple times before the meltdown.  Forgot his name but probably that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

to be fair when i first posted i thought he had spent more than A single year in the NFL

doing some digging on who could have recommended him.

2022 WKU coaching staff:

Tyson Helton was part of his brothers staff, who was at USC after Sark was fired. don't see any ties between the DCs at WKU in 20-22 and the PK/Sark trees.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.9867026a5e384b26325ccd0931bd1ddc.png

dolphins coaching staff: https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/

DL coach has some USC ties but not until 2017 i think.

as far as i can tell, the only guy with clear ties is the dolphins LB coach, who has ties to Flood via Rutgers: https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/anthony-campanile-x1381

Flood was there 05-15, Anthony Campanile was a player at Rutgers from 01-04, student assistant in 05, HS coach for 6 years, then was a coach at rutgers for 4 years (12-15)

don't see any other connections out there.

everyone is going to want to compare to Jackson's coaching pre Texas, and coaching at a position where the scheme impacts recruiting significantly more - but he was a NFL coach for 3 full years post playing career.

image.png.2144fc12cdfa2b7d7daf5819b4f2dab3.png

what?

Choice coaching career, who was very highly thought of as a recruiter and developer pre Texas.

image.png.c5072c0ab3e6bb453286ae8853a32a06.png

----------------

this seems like they had zeroed in on Rod Wright. DeMeco Ryans then got rid of the Texans DL coach and will be bumping up Rod. which is hard to turn down, understandably.

Some dude named Wade Harman is listed as a "Senior Assistant" on the defensive side for the Dolphins. Setting aside for a minute that that doesn't make much sense because he's a career offensive guy, he was Sark's TE coach when Sark was OC of the Falcons. Maybe he put in a (really) good word? I'm honestly pretty curious how this guy even made it on to the radar.

20 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It's a little different. We all know who Collin Klein is. 

There's the silver lining. At least we can't say that he's "for sure" gonna suck and be a total cultural mismatch. Because apparently no one knows anything about the guy. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I gave you facts and you gave me fantasy. If you think this guy was Sarkisian’s first choice, have I got some deals I’d like to show you. 

I thought it was pretty obvious what was going on when I bolded the "Aggiest shit ever" portion of your post...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, hook me said:

I thought it was pretty obvious what was going on when I bolded the "Aggiest shit ever" portion of your post...

Well, I thought it was a very lovely story. And you tell it so well, with such enthusiasm.

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:
24 minutes ago, austintx said:

Why the fuck would he not site his source? Oh yeah, because he just made this tweet up.

Nah, he talks to this one DL trainer all the time and had him on the YT show a couple times before the meltdown.  Forgot his name but probably that guy.

All the same, he should have cited his source. It comes off as cheerleading, just like Blake Munroe's comment about "his SEC connections" over at OTF, which he later admitted was a poor choice of words when pressed on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m 99% sure Gerry’s quoted recommendation was from Nathan O’Neal, GH’s #1 source for defensive linemen scoop. O’Neal is a trainer who works with a lot of guys. Gerry usually mentions him by name in tweets/podcasts to provide a little quid pro quo, so the absence of that is why I didn’t go 100%.

But it’s Nathan O’Neal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

So we swung and missed, hired a fall back option and are hoping for the best?  That usually works out.  

At least Sarkisian didn't fly on a private jet to Miami with his athletic director and university president in order to beg Baker to take the job, so that's nice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

7 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m 99% sure Gerry’s quoted recommendation was from Nathan O’Neal, GH’s #1 source for defensive linemen scoop. O’Neal is a trainer who works with a lot of guys. Gerry usually mentions him by name in tweets/podcasts to provide a little quid pro quo, so the absence of that is why I didn’t go 100%.

But it’s Nathan O’Neal.

It supposedly came from "one of the most respected DL coaches in the business". 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This is silly noise. Qualified people rec'd him. The bottom line is that Sarkisian interviewed him and thought him a winner. No one needs to read the bowels of potential random connections that could have led to that interview. The simplest connection is that Nagy likes the guy and passed his name on to Sarkisian, but who really fucking cares?

i am always just curious about the connections when they are that far out of a guys coaching tree and there isn't a clear "this guy is very good" like with Choice.

i felt the same way about Jackson also if that matters.

In today’s world of college football, how are we going to start differentiating between an “elite” or “rainmaker” recruiter and a coach who looks good partly because of NIL? DL rightfully recruiting gets a ton of attention and re$ources.

Obviously Bo Davis was about as good as it gets and that dates back pre-NIL, but I remember Gerry saying a while back that he never really believed Elijah Robinson was as good of a “recruiter” as many made him out to be.

This new guy could look great in a year with an assist from NIL and would probably get way too much credit.

Don't even know if I’m asking a question or explaining a thought, but yeah.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Hired because he has a (small) but proven track record of recruiting the area? Yes. And it’s pretty ignorant to think that wasn’t a huge factor. He’s going to be fine and his time with the Dolphins will give him added credibility with players and recruits.

motherfucker, you have no clue who he did and didn't recruit. the man literally has no 247 coach recruiting profile. you weren't following WKU's fucking recruiting classes from 2020 to 2022

• 2020 they were ranked 84th in the composite
  • 2021 they were ranked 130 with 5 total commits. so they ended up with either the smallest class ever or a bunch of dudes who didn't even have recruiting profiles on 247.
  • 2022 they were ranked #89

let me say it again: the man doesn't even have a 247 recruiting coach profile and was coaching at a G5 school for three full years. acting like you know even the smallest thing about who he did and didn't recruit and where he did and didn't recruit is dumb as hell.

go post your dumb shit over on 247 like these idiots.

image.thumb.png.1deb1d8b73c523bbd7cf59dc25398099.png

he coached for one year in the NFL, as an assistant DL coach, then left.

god, how someone can be so fucking dumb but think they know so much about any topic is beyond me.

he may work out great, he may not work out at all but you don't know shit about him.

you are the most useless poster on this entire website. you bring nothing to the table. go do a quick google image search scouting report on this guy too, asshole.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

In today’s world of college football, how are we going to start differentiating between an “elite” or “rainmaker” recruiter and a coach who looks good partly because of NIL? DL rightfully recruiting gets a ton of attention and re$ources.

Obviously Bo Davis was about as good as it gets and that dates back pre-NIL, but I remember Gerry saying a while back that he never really believed Elijah Robinson was as good of a “recruiter” as many made him out to be.

Bo didn't exactly knock it out of the park as a recruiting rainmaker while here. He developed well, and seems to have an eye for guys with upside, but the DL cupboard is not overflowing with blue chips right now. He might do better at LSU since they have a natural advantage with in-state talent though.

Edited by sith_horn
  • Hook 'Em 8

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This new guy could look great in a year with an assist from NIL and would probably get way too much credit.

Don't even know if I’m asking a question or explaining a thought, but yeah.

If DL recruiting is going well, I don't really care if it's the coach, the resource$, or the just the program's reputation. Just get the players in the boat. 

• Hook 'Em 5