Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He was in line for the doak walker award and had been rushing for over 100 yards per game. So... yes. While Blue has been a revelation, he only rushed for 33 yards vs Ok State.

And Keilan robinson averaged nearly 20 yards a carry running outside zone in 21 personnel. And we are spreading the ball out more to our best weapons (AD and Worthy). 

There has been a philosophical shift since Brooks was injured that has made us 10x more dynamic and versatile. 

• Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed. Passing is more prolific than running. It’s why everyone wanted Michigan instead of Washington. It’s why we are more dangerous now. 

The big issue with Brooks is we were trying to win games in the trenches (i.e. inside zone). 

Our strength is all the weapons we have on the perimeter. Worthy, AD, Robinson, Blue, Sanders, etc. It's really no surprise our offense now looks so much more explosive and dynamic when we are letting our weapons cook on the perimeter. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

And Keilan robinson averaged nearly 20 yards a carry running outside zone in 21 personnel. And we are spreading the ball out more to our best weapons (AD and Worthy). 

There has been a philosophical shift since Brooks was injured that has made us 10x more dynamic and versatile. 

It’ll make us less predictable for WA too. I’m not too worried about the offense. I’m worried about the secondary. Need Watts and Catalon back. Not sure who else is hurt. Mohammed looks like he’s coming along. Mostly we need refs that will let the game be physical. 

• Hook 'Em 5

All of these threads are moving at the speed of light, so apologies for asking a question that has undoubtedly been addressed a million times already.

Are we confident that Worthy is going to be at or close to 100%?  All I've seen is that the x rays are negative, but if it's a high ankle sprain that could be dicey- even with a month to rehab.

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The shift to 21 personnel is underrated.  It's keeping safeties off good support angles which has lead to a more explosive offense.  We are still winning upfront even with a more crowded box.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Send this man his $9.95. Preach.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

All of these threads are moving at the speed of light, so apologies for asking a question that has undoubtedly been addressed a million times already.

Are we confident that Worthy is going to be at or close to 100%?  All I've seen is that the x rays are negative, but if it's a high ankle sprain that could be dicey- even with a month to rehab.

He apparently sprains his ankles all the time, even in practice. Usually when that is a trait of a player, they recover quickly too. My best guess is that he will be fine in a couple of weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

He apparently sprains his ankles all the time, even in practice. Usually when that is a trait of a player, they recover quickly too. My best guess is that he will be fine in a couple of weeks. 

Yeah, Sark made it sound like it was a pre-existing injury that's been bothering him for weeks. 

16 minutes ago, troph said:

It’ll make us less predictable for WA too. I’m not too worried about the offense. I’m worried about the secondary. Need Watts and Catalon back. Not sure who else is hurt. Mohammed looks like he’s coming along. Mostly we need refs that will let the game be physical. 

and apparently someone said that we can push the first half targeting suspension for Derek Williams out to the beginning of next season. So we got that going for us ..... which is nice

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, troph said:

I am not sure about that. Brooks had his best game as Longhorn vs Washington in the bowl game. You could argue Maalik Muhammad is more suited to play vs Washington than Watts. He arguably plays the ball better than any other CB and Washington will throw deep jump balls often. This game will be more about coverage, than physicality. 

This would be an interesting game for PK to install some dime. Maybe simply swap out Blackwell for Derek Williams 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Oh... by the way when discussing the philosophical shift from Sark in the last few games, I hope everyone has noticed the sudden emergence of a lot more slants, crosses, and drag routes targeting the center of the field.

Finally using grandpa Whittington and The uncover-able Sanders to their best potential. Helping the RBs find space too. Damn I love this game.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Alien Octopus said:

Finally using grandpa Whittington and The uncover-able Sanders to their best potential. Helping the RBs find space too. Damn I love this game.

Curious how much of that is really tied to the fact that Ewers and Sanders are getting healthier and so it makes sense to run the double slants and crosser while still having legit threats outside.

The biggest thing about all of this is that it gives the team 3 weeks to get healthy. Banks, Sanders, Worthy, Ewers, Catalan, Watts, and many more could really use some time to just heal. Facing this team in January is going to be a much different task than what was out there in late Oct early Nov.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure about that. Brooks had his best game as Longhorn vs Washington in the bowl game. You could argue Maalik Muhammad is more suited to play vs Washington than Watts. He arguably plays the ball better than any other CB and Washington will throw deep jump balls often. This game will be more about coverage, than physicality. 

This would be an interesting game for PK to install some dime. Maybe simply swap out Blackwell for Derek Williams 

I’m not an expert on our personnel but I agree and mentioned Mohammed. In a nickel or dime set we are going to want some physicality at the DB position are we not?

I think Blue and Baxter will do fine. We are going to have to score 50 to know we win I’m afraid - unless PK does some scheme wizardry.  In the end if we can control the LoS on defense and get lots of pressure we will be ok. I think disrupting their WR would be a good thing. But hell I dunno.

these games matter at a different level, let’s truly be all gas no brakes instead of rest stop third quarter potty break.

Edited by troph

15 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Curious how much of that is really tied to the fact that Ewers and Sanders are getting healthier and so it makes sense to run the double slants and crosser while still having legit threats outside.

The biggest thing about all of this is that it gives the team 3 weeks to get healthy. Banks, Sanders, Worthy, Ewers, Catalan, Watts, and many more could really use some time to just heal. Facing this team in January is going to be a much different task than what was out there in late Oct early Nov.

Forgot to add sark having weeks to prepare. That usually works out well for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m not an expert on our personnel but I agree and mentioned Mohammed. In a nickel or dime set we are going to want some physicality at the DB position are we not?

I think Blue and Baxter will do fine. We are going to have to score 50 to know we win I’m afraid - unless PK does some scheme wizardry.  In the end if we can control the LoS on defense and get lots of pressure we will be ok. I think disrupting their WR would be a good thing. But hell I dunno.

these games matter at a different level, let’s truly be all gas no brakes instead of rest stop third quarter potty break.

Texas is a base nickel team. They are in nickel the vast majority of the time. Texas has what I will call the spread nickel, where they bring in Mo Blackwell to replace Hill for coverage reasons. I was just suggesting putting Derek Williams there. He is at least as physical and is a better coverage guy 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Before lurking the Huskies boards last year, I never knew the hatred they have for Sark. It's borderline equivalent to the aggies hatred for UT.  

Whatever personal issues Sarkisian was having while in Seattle, he literally pulled Washington out of a spiraling abyss. He had Washington with a winning record two seasons after going 0-12.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know where to put this but just saying it here. Barron really struggled yesterday but I'm fairly certain he was injured. It looked like he grabbed his quad a couple times. 

I think Texas had no choice to play him with everyone that was missing. 

The biggest thing about this month of prep is our banged up secondary has time to heal.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know where to put this but just saying it here. Barron really struggled yesterday but I'm fairly certain he was injured. It looked like he grabbed his quad a couple times. 

I think Texas had no choice to play him with everyone that was missing. 

Rod Barbers said it was coaching by OSU. He said they used his strengths against him. They gave him looks that they knew he would react to well and then used his proper read to beat him.

31 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Before lurking the Huskies boards last year, I never knew the hatred they have for Sark. It's borderline equivalent to the aggies hatred for UT.  

WTF???

You must have found the texags equivalent of the Husky board.  

Everyone I know still kinda likes Sark.  Mainly because fucking Tyrone took us to 0-12 the year before Sark showed up and then Sark beat top-5 U$C in his 3rd game. 

Any hard feelings against Sark stem from the fact that his teams would always no-show against some shitty team, usually from Arizona.  

Plus, we ended up with Petersen when he left, so that was nothing but a huge upgrade.

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is all weak bullshit. I said people giving Sarkisian the benefit of the doubt were welcome to it, but there was no history with him to support it, in 2021 and 2022. I stand by that position. I said when he broke through, if he ever did, I’d be as excited as anyone. I am. I haven’t been cheering against the guy and I don’t crawfish from positions if I’m wrong. 

But hey, call me a “cunt” and intimate that I’m, gasp!, a bad fan.

What have I actually done? Well, let’s see. I picked this team in the preseason poll to win 12 or more. I picked Texas to make the playoffs in two preseason threads. Picked Texas to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Boy, I sure lacked faith.

Oh, and then I did that thing where I helped invent a fucking NIL machine for Sarkisian, helped intellectually, operationally and monetarily enable a rapid solution to land and retain critical talent at OL and TE, and then, oh yeah, helped unite an NIL solution for the entirety of Texas athletics and put in near 6 figures on the football NIL end of TOF to help seed it.

Boy, that CTJ really fucking hates Sarkisian and Texas football. We’d be better off without fans like him. He was critical of my flawless coach and program a few times, goddammit!

Seriously, fuck you guys that don’t do a fucking thing but lie in wait to get mad on a bulletin board. Get a grip, let everyone be happy, and get fucked if you think you have “receipts” you can cash with me about supporting Sarkisian. 

Fuck all that. . . .

Are you still keeping up with your 40 time? 

I only want fans that have top 40 speed. 

Elijah Cummings Come On Man GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac unpinned this topic
  • Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic