Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

19 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

UW will torch our secondary unless the front four gets pressure on the QB.

That's the key to the game IMO.

18 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Correct

Good news is that it doesn’t need to be pressure from our front 4- we should be able to bring a 5th man pretty much at all times. Hopefully it’s Ant Hill from the inside more often than Barron from the edge, but it’s not like we will have to hope we can rush 3 and drop 8 or rush 4 and drop 7. We could probably look at brining 6 from time to time if they have a RB in blocking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

And the crew for the Jan 7 Championship game is an ACC crew.    I guess Bama might be a tad higher on the ACC shit list than us if we both make the 'ship?

Kevin Mar gets the Pinstripe Bowl.  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Good news is that it doesn’t need to be pressure from our front 4- we should be able to bring a 5th man pretty much at all times. Hopefully it’s Ant Hill from the inside more often than Barron from the edge, but it’s not like we will have to hope we can rush 3 and drop 8 or rush 4 and drop 7. We could probably look at brining 6 from time to time if they have a RB in blocking. 

I dont think we see that. I think PK is going to mix it up. Penix is in year 6 of this offense. I think you need to mix up looks and coverages. He will throw some interceptions. Bring some heat and drop safeties deep. Penix only interception last year was vs an amoeba front. Just think about Ewers, when he knows where to throw the ball he is deadly. Penix is the same way. One thing  I do not hear very much is how well the Texas pass defense was last year vs Washington. That may not happen again.  but it is a date point the national media has completely ignored. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think we see that. I think PK is going to mix it up. Penix is in year 6 of this offense. I think you need to mix up looks and coverages. He will throw some interceptions. Bring some heat and drop safeties deep. Penix only interception last year was vs an amoeba front. Just think about Ewers, when he knows where to throw the ball he is deadly. Penix is the same way. One thing  I do not hear very much is how well the Texas pass defense was last year vs Washington. That may not happen again.  but it is a date point the national media has completely ignored. 

You aren’t going to make a living mixing coverages and making him think- you need to get home with pressure. I mean- you want to drop 8 occasionally on a first down?  Fine, waste the down I guess. But pressure pressure pressure especially in the interior is pretty much how we will shut them down/stop them, if we do. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You aren’t going to make a living mixing coverages and making him think- you need to get home with pressure. I mean- you want to drop 8 occasionally on a first down?  Fine, waste the down I guess. But pressure pressure pressure especially in the interior is pretty much how we will shut them down/stop them, if we do. 

you are missing the point. Mixing coverages means bring heat and playing some man behind and playing some coverage looks. You dont want to just sit back and bring 5 and play press every down. Penix and Washington will go into mad bomber mode and hammer the secondary. Blitz, press man, 2 deep safety looks, 1 deep safety. That said if you completely blow up their OL, go ahead and blitz every play. Just keep in mind that Washington has been very good in pass protection all year, so it is highly unlikely that Texas will overwhelm Washington with their pass rush. The best possible outcome is the interior pass rush dominates and there isnt a need to bring a lot of blitzes. (Murphy #1 interior pass rusher in Big 12, Sweat #2, and Collins #3) 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

you are missing the point. Mixing coverages means bring heat and playing some man behind and playing some coverage looks. You dont want to just sit back and bring 5 and play press every down. Penix and Washington will go into mad bomber mode and hammer the secondary. Blitz, press man, 2 deep safety looks, 1 deep safety. That said if you completely blow up their OL, go ahead and blitz every play. Just keep in mind that Washington has been very good in pass protection all year, so it is highly unlikely that Texas will overwhelm Washington with their pass rush. The best possible outcome is the interior pass rush dominates and there isnt a need to bring a lot of blitzes. (Murphy #1 interior pass rusher in Big 12, Sweat #2, and Collins #3) 

So, I didn’t say any of what you said. Since you responded to me I thought you were talking to me, but you are continuing to say stuff that doesn’t relate to what I say. 
I don’t care what you do on the back half- if they have time they will beat it. This hinges completely on can we make him throw the ball off schedule because of our pressure. If we can’t we are cooked. If we can we are fine, regardless of what we are doing back there. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Penix was sacked early in the season at home by Boise State's Andrew Simpson, what it looks like is he didn't like what he saw and tried to escape the pocket to his right with no success.

Penix was sacked twice at Arizona in the fourth quarter, once by Tiaoalii Savea and once by Taylor Upshaw

The Savea sack was Penix in the red zone not seeing anything he felt comfortable throwing and failing to reach the line of scrimmage. He definitely felt pressure on this play from both sides and initially thought he could run to his left, then tried going up the middle for a loss of one.

Here you can see Upshaw slip through Washington's tackle and guard while Penix can't escape the pocket in time

Penix was sacked at home by Oregon's Brandon Dorlus. This was Oregon's line dominating from the snap, I don't think Penix had the ball for 3 seconds before he felt the pocket collapse and tried to step up and away from the hit where Dorlus was waiting for him.

Penix was sacked at Stanford by Wilfredo Aybar

Not a great clip but appears to have been some kind of corner blitz.

Penix was sacked at USC by Eric Gentry

Here you can see Gentry slip past Buelow and his persistence pays off because when Penix feels the pocket collapsing Gentry is right there to sack him after he tries to take off.

Penix was sacked at home by Utah's Sione Vaki

This was a situation where the ball intended for Penix hit the leg of Washington's man in motion resulting in a botched snap. Nobody was there to block Vaki

Penix was sacked at home by Wazzu's Brennan Jackson setting up the game winning field goal

You can see some apparent confusion on by the right guard and right tackle here

Penix was sacked twice on a neutral field by Oregon, once by Popo Aumavae and once by Nikko Reed

Here is the Popo Aumavae sack, you can see Marcus Harper (55) leaves Washington's 77 flat footed then quickly comes around the left and catches Penix with his arm, after Penix escapes that arm tackle Aumavae is there where Penix's knee hits the ground.

This Nikko Reed sack is pretty, and it looks like Washington was so fixated on making something happen to Penix's left (it was a 4th and short situation) they did not notice a blitz coming from the other side.

Overall this is a very big and disciplined line. I have noticed they don't provide much more time and protection than what Penix needs to read the coverage and make his decision. Many pass attempts of his could have been broken up or pressured if Penix had hesitated even a fraction of a second.

If he's sacked a few times early in the game, it's going to rattle his timing and confidence. When the pocket collapses before he's made a decision, his go-to move is to step up and look for a crease to get positive yardage. This is a matchup of great interest to me.

Edited by chainsaw
  • Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, I didn’t say any of what you said. Since you responded to me I thought you were talking to me, but you are continuing to say stuff that doesn’t relate to what I say. 
I don’t care what you do on the back half- if they have time they will beat it. This hinges completely on can we make him throw the ball off schedule because of our pressure. If we can’t we are cooked. If we can we are fine, regardless of what we are doing back there. 

It was in response to you and the idea that Texas needs to continually bring blitzes to slow the Washington offense down. I am sahying DaBoer and Penix are too good for something that simplistic. Penix threw for 5.3 yards/att vs Texas last year. That was the lowest in his 2 years at Texas. Texas managed to bottle up the Washington passing game last year, despite not registering a single sack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Texas can and will use Amoeba looks. One end spot is a stand up Buck LB in base and we’ve seen plenty snaps with 2-4 pass rushers standing up at the LOS. 

Mixing up coverage looks is critical to slowing down Penix’ reads since he can make the throws once he identifies the coverage. Pressure can force him into bad throws and confusing the QB with disguised coverage can allow late pressure to get to home. They feed off each other. 

• Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It was in response to you and the idea that Texas needs to continually bring blitzes to slow the Washington offense down. I am sahying DaBoer and Penix are too good for something that simplistic. Penix threw for 5.3 yards/att vs Texas last year. That was the lowest in his 2 years at Texas. Texas managed to bottle up the Washington passing game last year, despite not registering a single sack. 

Yep. Texas played 4-2-5 alignment consistently vs 11 personnel. Washington couldn’t break big plays in the passing game against it. They were able to run semi-consistently against that front. Texas is so much better in the front 6 this year that it’s not even funny. I doubt UW will have any sustained success against a 6 man box this year. 

Much better backs than Johnson have failed spectacularly against this Longhorn Defense. KSU builds their whole identity around the running game, including the QB run. They had less than 20% of their normal rushing output without Texas loading the box. Ollie Gordon won the Doak Walker and he was completely shut down.

Texas has solid cover corners now and PK recognizes that, mixing in some press man as the season went on. That increases the number of coverage options (and problems reading the D) significantly. I have some concerns about safety play but I suspect the Horns can replicate much of last year’s bowl pass defense and stop the run with 6. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

Yep. Texas played 4-2-5 alignment consistently vs 11 personnel. Washington couldn’t break big plays in the passing game against it. They were able to run semi-consistently against that front. Texas is so much better in the front 6 this year that it’s not even funny. I doubt UW will have any sustained success against a 6 man box this year. 

Much better backs than Johnson have failed spectacularly against this Longhorn Defense. KSU builds their whole identity around the running game, including the QB run. They had less than 20% of their normal rushing output without Texas loading the box. Ollie Gordon won the Doak Walker and he was completely shut down.

Texas has solid cover corners now and PK recognizes that, mixing in some press man as the season went on. That increases the number of coverage options (and problems reading the D) significantly. I have some concerns about safety play but I suspect the Horns can replicate much of last year’s bowl pass defense and stop the run with 6. 

That brings me to a question. Who do you think starts for Texas at CB? Homes and Muhammad are rated the 2 best cover CBs on the team by PFF. Muhammad is #1.. Brooks is actually last, but I expect him to start. I do wonder if Texas uses Muhammad more at the boundary, than Watts. You give up some run stopping ability and screen game, but you are better down the field. (I would flip that thought vs Michigan, where I want my most physical CB on the field more)

Yea, Penix doesn't make abnormally fast reads post snap. He also trusts his arm too much. His footwork tends to break down as he gets uncomfortable too. Would have loved to see him against UCLA this year.

I don't think we need to get home to have success, but disrupting the short game enough to make him hold the ball and read the field will do wonders.

I'm also interested in seeing how Ethan Burke's rush impacts Penix's tendency to drop way back in his drops. He tends to go more upfield than he should, but it may work out well in this game.

Their tackles are pretty athletic and long but Burke is quick to the edge when he can key on the pass. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That brings me to a question. Who do you think starts for Texas at CB? Homes and Muhammad are rated the 2 best cover CBs on the team by PFF. Muhammad is #1.. Brooks is actually last, but I expect him to start. I do wonder if Texas uses Muhammad more at the boundary, than Watts. You give up some run stopping ability and screen game, but you are better down the field. (I would flip that thought vs Michigan, where I want my most physical CB on the field more)

I believe we see Brooks/Watts due to their strong run support. Washington thrives on runs to the edges.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

How is Washington allowed to get B10 refs? It should have been ACC refs...

The head referee got his PhD from the University of Missouri in 2003 right when we were close to the top of our game. I wonder if he got his feathers ruffled.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/education/2015/04/20/homegrown-central-principal-retire-take-greenwood-job/26094287/

Also, does anyone think that Washington can win by scoring 27 points this year?  They needed 10 drives to score 27 against last year’s D and that’s a losing score against Texas now. Only Iowa State held UT to fewer than 29 points this season and Washington’s D is nowhere near as difficult to prepare for. 

Improvement in the offense is going to force UW to score a bunch to keep up. This is not a crippled version of the offense from a 4 loss, marginally ranked team. QB went from 58% completions to 71%, QBR 133 to 163, 7.4 to 9.0 YPA. Rushing is down slightly but much better than what UW saw last year. 

I suspect they will have to virtually abandon the run in order to do so. They are a pass heavy offense already: 60% pass even trying to run out the clock in close games late. A few drives ending after they end up behind the chains trying to force the run will likely reinforce that tendency. 

Yes, most likely early trend will be ineffectiveness in the run and shift to virtual all pass.  You allude to last year’s game and that seems a bit far away and somewhat different teams.   I do think UW can score 27 or more,.  Sure. 
How much friction can our D generate?   One of two huge questions for Texas.   The other is, will the great offense show.    It has happened, and recently, and more than once.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it depends on how much man coverage PK wants to mix in. Muhammad can play press man. That will squeeze the screen game, which IMHO is more of a threat than a conventional rushing attack.

Against the run, if our DE/Buck can hold the edge, then outside runs become a pursuit to the sideline. A press corner can easily turn that into a TFL or become a substitute force player if the kick out block softens the edge without caving it on. Since PK will trust his DTs and A Hill to stop inside runs, having an extra force man at the LOS will help a lot against outside runs. It doesn’t hurt that our D can key on Johnson once he gets the ball. He’s not really a threat to pull up for a halfback pass. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Probably already covered, but what is the consensus on how big an impact the 1st half suspension of Derek Williams will have.  I hate him being out at all vs Washington.   I feel like this might be a chance for Sark and PK to connect with Sark's old buddy Dan Quinn and figure out how to use Ant Hill like Micah Parsons.

23 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Also, does anyone think that Washington can win by scoring 27 points this year?  They needed 10 drives to score 27 against last year’s D and that’s a losing score against Texas now. Only Iowa State held UT to fewer than 29 points this season and Washington’s D is nowhere near as difficult to prepare for. 

Improvement in the offense is going to force UW to score a bunch to keep up. This is not a crippled version of the offense from a 4 loss, marginally ranked team. QB went from 58% completions to 71%, QBR 133 to 163, 7.4 to 9.0 YPA. Rushing is down slightly but much better than what UW saw last year. 

I suspect they will have to virtually abandon the run in order to do so. They are a pass heavy offense already: 60% pass even trying to run out the clock in close games late. A few drives ending after they end up behind the chains trying to force the run will likely reinforce that tendency. 

I did a quick count, so dont crucify me if I am off a bit, but I counted 31 pass plays and 9 runs (1 of which was a Penix run, so that was likely a scramble) in the 1st half of last year's game (77.5% passing plays).. I think you can expect something similar on Saturday. Washington will run, when presented with light boxes or when they feel they have tired out the DL. They are not going to attack a fresh DL, especially of the quality Texas has, unless presented with light box. 

6 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Probably already covered, but what is the consensus on how big an impact the 1st half suspension of Derek Williams will have.  I hate him being out at all vs Washington.   I feel like this might be a chance for Sark and PK to connect with Sark's old buddy Dan Quinn and figure out how to use Ant Hill like Micah Parsons.

They have been working Jahdae at safety so far....I think that is their answer for Derek Williams being out for the 1st half.

13 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Yes, most likely early trend will be ineffectiveness in the run and shift to virtual all pass.  You allude to last year’s game and that seems a bit far away and somewhat different teams.   I do think UW can score 27 or more

Texas is a completely different team this year. Washington is mostly the same team with another year of experience. Look at the guys that make plays for them: Penix, Odunze, Trice, McMillan, Johnson and Polk. All of them started and played key roles last year and this year. Just flip Polk and McMillan due to injury to the later. I think it’s fair to use 2022 as a baseline for 2023 Washington and it’s one of the few useful measures we have of relative performance given lack of common opponents. It’s not great but it’s what we have. 

Texas OTOH has taken quantum leaps at several positions. I documented QB above. Sweat went from a part timer who didn’t make even 3rd team all conference to consensus All-American and Outland Trophy winner. AD Mitchell is a difference maker and a huge addition. A Hill is causing real problems; Burke has done so in limited action.

Much of the team has seen the same incremental improvement as UW: Sanders, Worthy, Whittington and Ford for starters. Our Horns have taken a step back at RB but that’s been offset by improvements in the O Line. Again, Safety is the big issue to me. 

In sum, I think it is useful look at 2022 to assess the capabilities of UW, especially when discussing style, strengths and weakness. For reasons already stated, I think 2022 is less useful for analyzing Texas but it’s still helpful for looking at the way these teams match up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

i agree with this.  pressure is not the answer.  its a piece, but not the be all and end all.  pk will have to be clever and pick the moments to pressure, but coverage will be more important.  i like the idea of playing back in this game. coverage sacks mean we let the line get to him (and they will, or there will be holding penalties), and not leave a receiver open by blitzing a db or lb.

Penix is a pretty capable runner, so maybe that is the wrinkle they show more of in this game. He's more mobile than most seem to give him credit for.

Do you say that because he’s black, or because you’ve seen him run? More than a few posters thought the same thing about MM.

I’ve only seen him run the ball a few times, mainly because I don’t watch pac 12 football, but I’ve seen him run a little. He doesn’t strike me as the type that you’re afraid of running because he can get loose, but he can pick up positive yards and maybe move the chains on a shorter distance.

12 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Do you say that because he’s black, or because you’ve seen him run? More than a few posters thought the same thing about MM.

I’ve only seen him run the ball a few times, mainly because I don’t watch pac 12 football, but I’ve seen him run a little. He doesn’t strike me as the type that you’re afraid of running because he can get loose, but he can pick up positive yards and maybe move the chains on a shorter distance.

I've watched just about every UW game this year. Penix is a capable scrambler, I think he'd beat Ford or Thompson/Taaffe to the edge if he needed to. I don't think he has much wiggle after the two torn acls in his right knee, but he can get going in a single direction.

16 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

But he’s not big and cannot afford to get dinged.  I don’t think the coaches nor he want to run the Q2.

They may not want to, but they can, and we have shown some vulnerability there this season.

I expect Quinn to run when given the opportunity on Monday as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Our Horns have taken a step back at RB but that’s been offset by improvements in the O Line.

We've taken a step back from Bijan and Roschon, but they didn't play in the bowl game last year. Our running game this year (even without Brooks) is an upgrade over what Washington in last year's game.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Texas is a completely different team this year. Washington is mostly the same team with another year of experience. Look at the guys that make plays for them: Penix, Odunze, Trice, McMillan, Johnson and Polk. All of them started and played key roles last year and this year. Just flip Polk and McMillan due to injury to the later. I think it’s fair to use 2022 as a baseline for 2023 Washington and it’s one of the few useful measures we have of relative performance given lack of common opponents. It’s not great but it’s what we have. 

Texas OTOH has taken quantum leaps at several positions. I documented QB above. Sweat went from a part timer who didn’t make even 3rd team all conference to consensus All-American and Outland Trophy winner. AD Mitchell is a difference maker and a huge addition. A Hill is causing real problems; Burke has done so in limited action.

Much of the team has seen the same incremental improvement as UW: Sanders, Worthy, Whittington and Ford for starters. Our Horns have taken a step back at RB but that’s been offset by improvements in the O Line. Again, Safety is the big issue to me. 

In sum, I think it is useful look at 2022 to assess the capabilities of UW, especially when discussing style, strengths and weakness. For reasons already stated, I think 2022 is less useful for analyzing Texas but it’s still helpful for looking at the way these teams match up. 

The running game has taken a quantum leap forward from what Washington saw last year though without Bijan, Roshon and Brooks. We had nothing for them. This year I expect we will have something on the ground to give them problems. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

UW is 2nd in the country in avoiding sacks

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/qb-sacked-pct

It's very possible that they are going to have issues with their center bc he hasn't had to block anyone like our interior D line all season, but UW are good at avoiding sacks and a lot of that is (a) they are good at shuffling players presnap to suss out your call and (b) Penix is a 19th year senior and is good at getting rid of the ball when you blitz him. 

But yeah if we are racing past their interior line all game, it's going to be a long night for Penix.  That would be great, but I have no reason to believe we are going to get more sacks against the 2nd best team at avoiding sacks than we have the rest of the season. 

Having said that, I think later in the game, the texas depth on DL might be an issue for UW.   I hope PK has a layered plan that allows for more aggression/press later in the game. 

Pressures will be more interesting to watch, imo.

idk if there is a good set of stats on pressures allowed.

Penix will definitely panic and toss a couple errant throws per game if you can disguise your coverage (make him make a second read post-snap), assuming you are getting decent pressure.   You do need to get good pressure + disguise because the UW offense presents problems all over the field and Penix is good at checking down. 

I assume the UW staff is looking at moving the pocket to minimize pressure and the Texas staff is looking at which way they want to try to move him. 

More than one way to skin the cat

Also, if you are curious to watch the games (on youtube) Arizona and Utah both played UW reasonably well this season - Utah brought a lot more pressure.  AZ mostly brought 3/4 pass rushers.   Both can work.  

The coaching staffs see the same things we do

I think it's going to be a huge chessmatch.  I suspect both their OC and our DC are going to try to protect their relative weaknesses (interior OL and safeties).  And UW is going to get their 25-35 unless one of the playcallers makes a big mistake in the chessmatch.   UW has faced good defenses and we have faced good offenses.  The more interesting matchup imo is Texas offense vs UW defense. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I've watched just about every UW game this year. Penix is a capable scrambler, I think he'd beat Ford or Thompson/Taaffe to the edge if he needed to. I don't think he has much wiggle after the two torn acls in his right knee, but he can get going in a single direction.

Do you mean scramble around behind the line of scrimmage ... to escape a pass rush?

As for getting positive yardage, his totals for this season:

- 29 carries, for (-18) yards.

- out of 13 games, he only had three with positive rushing yardage (5, 11, 22 yards).  

- they only gave up 11 sacks, so there is that.

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Do you mean scramble around behind the line of scrimmage ... to escape a pass rush?

- out of 13 games, he only had three with positive rushing yardage (5, 11, 22 yards).  

I would say he is kind of like Quinn. He can hurt you, if you get undisciplined. He prefers to move to throw the ball. His last option is to run to scramble. Doesn’t mean that Washington might not run a couple QB draws, like Texas did last year in the bowl 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I did a quick count, so dont crucify me if I am off a bit, but I counted 31 pass plays and 9 runs (1 of which was a Penix run, so that was likely a scramble) in the 1st half of last year's game (77.5% passing plays).. I think you can expect something similar on Saturday. Washington will run, when presented with light boxes or when they feel they have tired out the DL. They are not going to attack a fresh DL, especially of the quality Texas has, unless presented with light box. 

During practice?

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The stats don't tell the whole story, especially not with the way they do CFB stats with sack yardage. Check out the Oregon State game this year or some of his tape from Indiana.

He's not nearly the threat with his legs as he is with his arm, but he can convert crucial 3rd downs and goal to go plays with them if given the opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The stats don't tell the whole story, especially not with the way they do CFB stats with sack yardage. Check out the Oregon State game this year or some of his tape from Indiana.

He's not nearly the threat with his legs as he is with his arm, but he can convert crucial 3rd downs and goal to go plays with them if given the opportunity.

Yeah, he isn't Brady running the ball. He can gain some yards here and there, and they do have some designed runs for him. 

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic