Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

12 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Not sure if posted but I heard on one of the $9.95ers that X has lingering ankle issues... Please baby jesus... 

Pray Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

I think X is less needed for a game like this than for Bama or Michigan. That being said, this is probably a red herring because I saw him running around just fine in local broadcast video from a day ago. 

Always admired how UT teams of all sports have humbly gone about winning from the underdog position.  This seems to be lining up just like the Shoe at night, 2005 Rose Bowl, winning at Tuscaloosa, and the just recent Women's Vball Championship.  Embrace the hate and go on about your business, Horns.
Are we undeedog in this? Seems wvwrytime I catch a talking head talking about the sugar they pick us to win. ESPN has us a 64% chance to win

Just now, Smax said:
7 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:
Always admired how UT teams of all sports have humbly gone about winning from the underdog position.  This seems to be lining up just like the Shoe at night, 2005 Rose Bowl, winning at Tuscaloosa, and the just recent Women's Vball Championship.  Embrace the hate and go on about your business, Horns.

Are we undeedog in this? Seems wvwrytime I catch a talking head talking about the sugar they pick us to win. ESPN has us a 64% chance to win

Klatt picked Washington

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Smax said:
7 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Vegas has us to win but all the talk is WA picking apart our secondary. Sure sounds like we are the underdog. But truth is both locker rooms are turning whatever they can into motivation.  And the super secret truth is motivation from external sources really shouldn’t be needed here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, sushihorn said:

OU had 5 sacks against a very mobile Qb after averaging less than half that during the season. By the same token, their own pass pro was hamstrung when they were flagged for form tackling rushers. Arizona’s 3 sacks were above their season average plus they forced half a season worth of INTs and 5 games worth of fumble recoveries, one of which was virtually an interception and another due to pressure on the QB. 

This didn’t affect KSU much. They only had 1 sack, though again they faced a running QB. Nor do the Wildcats use a lot of drop back passing so they’ve never relied on holding as a pass pro technique. Texas is in a similar position for different reasons. The Horns make heavy use of play action, moving pockets, bootleg action and other misdirection.

For that reason, I don’t see holding enforcement affecting our offense.  Look at KSU, KU, Tech and WVU, not the Land Thieves. Slightly less time to throw might mean fewer deep shots but that hurts UW a lot more than it hurts us.

But Washington is one of the most penalized teams aren’t they? No bias against holding calls should bode well for the horns DL. 

Edited by troph

Vegas has us to win but all the talk is WA picking apart our secondary. Sure sounds like we are the underdog. But truth is both locker rooms are turning whatever they can into motivation.  And the super secret truth is motivation from external sources really shouldn’t be needed here.  
Interesting, not trying to be argumentative, but in my leisurely watching CFB over the holidays, I never heard WA being picked to win

8 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

It is sort of magical that our players and coaches all have scores to settle in this game. If we make it to the NC vs Bama, we'd have a score to settle from 2009 as well.

I highly doubt any current Texas player or coach is motivated by what happened in a game 14 years ago. Maybe Sam Ehlinger if he was still on the team. 

But wow if a team won its conference and beat three other P5 conference champs in the same season! 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Smax said:
23 minutes ago, troph said:

Interesting, not trying to be argumentative, but in my leisurely watching CFB over the holidays, I never heard WA being picked to win

You're right in a way, but there's a ton of clickbait writers and halftime has-beens who are being edgy in coming up with all these ways UW will surprise and defeat UT.  Some of them caveat it with the "Texas is talented, but" line, then get into whatever their secret insight is.  These guys are always trying to make a name for themselves for being a bright analyst who sees things others overlook. 

So, while it's not that we're the underdogs, but more like the easiest to upset.  And there's merit to that as well, since our team has stumbled in big games before more often than not recently.   I would bet as we get closer to gametime, we'll see more people picking UW to win.   They have nothing to lose.  If Texas wins, it was because they were supposed to.  If UW wins, then they look super smart in picking them.  

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

You're right in a way, but there's a ton of clickbait writers and halftime has-beens who are being edgy in coming up with all these ways UW will surprise and defeat UT.  Some of them caveat it with the "Texas is talented, but" line, then get into whatever their secret insight is.  These guys are always trying to make a name for themselves for being a bright analyst who sees things others overlook. 

So, while it's not that we're the underdogs, but more like the easiest to upset.  And there's merit to that as well, since our team has stumbled in big games before more often than not recently.   I would bet as we get closer to gametime, we'll see more people picking UW to win.   They have nothing to lose.  If Texas wins, it was because they were supposed to.  If UW wins, then they look super smart in picking them.  

Michigan is favored over Alabama. That’s the easiest “upset.”

But, yeah, the “sure, the favorite was supposed to win, don’t blame me” vs. “look at me picking the upset” trope is tiresome. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Some of the clickbait...    SIAP

Underdog Washington Huskies hoping to 'smack' Texas Longhorns

Andrea Adelson,  ESPN   Dec 29, 2023

NEW ORLEANS -- For the second straight game, Washington players are scratching their heads and asking themselves the same question: "We're underdogs again?"

Despite being undefeated and ranked higher than Oregon in the Pac-12 championship game, Washington was a 9.5-point underdog going into that one. The Huskies then went out and beat Oregon for the second time this season, clinching a 13-0 record and a spot in the College Football Playoff.

Now, No. 2 Washington is undefeated and ranked ahead of No. 3 Texas (12-1). Yet, the Longhorns are 4-point favorites heading into the College Football Playoff semifinal at the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Monday night. It should also be noted that Washington beat Texas last year in the Alamo Bowl.

"I think it's crazy," Washington edge rusher Bralen Trice said Friday during media availability. "Just the level of disrespect we get, I can't really understand it, but it helps us because it makes us have our backs against the wall as we go into these games, ready to play even harder because we are the underdogs. You don't take anything for granted out there. We're grateful to be in the position we're at because of the hard work we put in. We can be the underdog. We can be on top, and we'll come out with the win."

Trice later told ESPN that "I want to go out there and smack them. You know, I don't want it to be a close game. I want it to be pretty lopsided in our favor.

"And I think that's what we're going to go out there and do, because I know the mindset that my guys on my team have going into this game. I think it's a huge part of what's going to make us successful in this game is our mindset based off of what people been saying."

When asked why he thought Washington continued to be treated like an underdog despite all the wins, Trice simply said, "I don't know. I couldn't tell you."

There is one theory that Trice eventually said could account for the disrespect Washington feels: playing on the West Coast. The Pac-12 had a six-year playoff drought before Washington made it.

"It definitely has a part to do with that," Trice said. "We're the first Pac-12 team to be in the Sugar Bowl. That's a great feeling because we're going to come out here and leave our mark and take a win."

Plus, the Huskies had to endure several close calls this season. In the three games before the Pac-12 title game, Washington won each by a touchdown or less. That includes a 24-21 victory over Washington State in the regular-season finale, in which the Huskies needed a field goal with no time left to win.

Trice said the entire team feels frustrated being labeled an underdog. But cornerback Dominique Hampton took a more practical approach when asked about it.

"We've been in that position all year, and we've just got to go out and prove it again," he said.

Just a year ago in the Alamo Bowl, despite having injuries and opt-outs, Texas went into the game as a 3-point favorite. Washington won 27-20 as Michael Penix Jr. threw for 287 yards and two touchdowns in what would be a preview for things to come this season.

Both teams have been asked questions about whether their game last season helps preparations heading into Monday night. Texas has repeatedly said it is a far better team on its offensive and defensive lines, prompting a back-and-forth between T'Vondre Sweat and Penix during their availability Thursday.

After Sweat called Washington just another offensive line, Penix said, "We're not playing the 49ers' or Eagles' D-line so we'll be good."

When Trice was asked whether he saw comments from Texas about its offensive line believing it is in much better position than it was during their bowl game last year, he said, "I didn't read up on it too much, but they think they're great. I think we're greater."

• Prepare your anus 1

54 minutes ago, Smax said:
1 hour ago, troph said:

I don’t say picked to win, most haven’t come out and predicted yet. That’s the next few days. But the dominate discussion has been talented WA receivers vs Texas weakest link its secondary.  That’s not the topic of discussion that says Texas is the fav.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Some of the clickbait...    SIAP

Underdog Washington Huskies hoping to 'smack' Texas Longhorns

Andrea Adelson,  ESPN   Dec 29, 2023

That was the quote I was talking about. Texas guys are talking about how great WA is etc. sark got the saban prep manual and is following it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Good grief what a bunch of morons. OU had to start a true freshman QB who had never started a game before and he had FIVE turnovers. You think that might have mattered a bit, you purple dick heads?

At least one of them said as much. 

Thought I'd share, found this cool article where they used team and player stats for Texas and Washington and had ChatGPT simulate the game. To save a click, Texas wins big 38-17 and they have Michigan beating Bama 27-20.

If you want to read how it thinks the game shakes out, here's the link to the ChatGPT simulation.

Really hoping for a Texas-Michigan final! Good luck with Washington

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Casual fans and shallow analysts focus on offense and especially on spectacular big plays. The long jump balls by Penix and company are tailor made to appeal to this crowd. Same for the over focus on the 2 games against an undisciplined UO making people think Washington will run the ball well.

When we look at line play and running game, those less understood aspects are definitely against UW. No one has run on Texas other than OU and they needed to get most of their rushing yardage from the QB position. Even the most optimistic see Penix as a borderline serviceable runner, not someone who is going to require a dedicated spy. 

The UW DL plays very conservative in run defense. It’s gap sound but tough to convert into a pass rush if there is play action. There’s a good reason why they get relatively few sacks and TFLs. Considering the number of pass attempts they have faced, 19 sacks is a very small number. 

Their OL will try to run enough power and inside zone to keep our DTs at home. But they will probably rely on runs outside the tackles to produce drive sustaining yards. We all saw how easily Oregon surrendered the edge at the line and how often Arizona did the same in the Alamo. That Husky O-Line is going to face a totally different challenge trying to kick out DL who are already shooting gaps. 

• Hook 'Em 6

33 minutes ago, austinnt said:

Thought I'd share, found this cool article where they used team and player stats for Texas and Washington and had ChatGPT simulate the game. To save a click, Texas wins big 38-17 and they have Michigan beating Bama 27-20.

If you want to read how it thinks the game shakes out, here's the link to the ChatGPT simulation.

Really hoping for a Texas-Michigan final! Good luck with Washington

Sounds like Jonathan Brooks is going to have a kick ass Sugar Bowl!

• Haha 1

Maybe it was just me, but in Sark's sugar bowl presser I couldn't help but be distracted by the CFP logo giving Sark little horns on his head. Hopefully a sign the cajun voodoo is already working for us.

image.png.35aa445d677ceba5ac1c947a96ed5d4b.png
I'm more impressed by the fact I can't remember the last time I saw a BigXII logo on any of our coaches or players. Well done

Edit- unclear if we'll have to wear the jersey patch for the game, hope not though.

I’m struggling to control my optimism. CFB is largely confined to regional cells, isolated from each other. It’s hard to compare records, stats or even SoS when there are virtually no common opponents and few second degree comparisons until the end of the year. Now we are getting data  

Frankly, Texas’ opponents have performed much better than Washington’s have. The difference has been so great that it’s tempting to regard UW’s season stats as fools gold. I’m more focused on the defensive results which are less likely to be severely skewed by a few opt outs than offenses. And frankly the PAC-12 slate plus Boise have looked bad. 

Arizona smacked Oklahoma’s scout team but they gave up over 200 rushing yards and 350 passing yards to a Freshman quarterback seeing his first real action and a 3rd string tailback playing behind a salvage yard O-Line. 363 yards passing and 111 on the ground doesn’t look that impressive now, does it?

Boise faced UCLA which UW did not this year. The Bruins had slightly lower offensive output than Washington but with a hugely different distribution. UCLA had 280 rushing to (78) for UW and 230 to (478) passing. Oregon St gave up 110 rushing 162 passing to UW vs 232 and 236 to the Domers. Cal surrendered 256 passing to Texas Tech vs to (389) for UW and 128 to (140) rushing.

Utah v Northwestern: 225 (332) passing, 65 (125) rushing

USC v Louisville: 141 (256) passing, 220 (316) rushing

Oregon vs Liberty TBD

TL;DR - With a bunch of decent teams matching up, UW’s offense looks pretty comparable to their schedule’s bowl matchups. Their offensive results are clearly superior to Louisville and Northwestern but inferior to ND. Running results are very similar to TTU and OU’s replacements but way below UCLA. Not suggestive of anything more than an average ground attack.

Edited by sushihorn
Added summary
  • Hook 'Em 2

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic