Texas @ Marquette- Wednesday, 7pm on FS1

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

It was pretty obvious we got forced into Terry.  Terry's resume is/was basically meh, IMO but one game doesn't mean much.  get Disu back and see what he can do this year.  maybe he will surprise us.  

I believe CDC will be ready if needed.  Basketball should be one of the easier sports to turn around in a year or 2.

yep, we should have done a true nationwide search 

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I've said this before, but Shaka Smart is basketball Jeff Fisher.

He's good with the media, so they like him, so they tout him as a good coach.  And he's got that one deep postseason run.  But he's otherwise been a below average coach for an entire career.  Yet the myth that he's a good coach persists, because the people whose job it is to look at the numbers and be analytical give him a pass, because they just like him so much.

hes 54-22 at marquette

42 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

What happen to Shaka 10% from 3 and 50% from free throw teams ?

IMG_9900.png

IMG_3463.thumb.jpeg.f25e922f17ff9f316010cb54527a62ff.jpeg

marquette is no.268 in the country in offensive rebound percentage because just like at texas shaka’s teams prioritize getting back on defense over crashing the offensive boards. in other words, they don’t try for offensive rebounds. 

they beat us in offensive rebounds. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, SameSame said:

Goddamn everybody bagging on Shaka like he took his dick out and fucked Bevo at midcourt.  Mediocre didn’t win here yeah we know, the guy is not a bad guy.

And looks like he’s assembled a good team.

Because he did fuck Bevo at midcourt.  Unfortunately that was while he was at UT.  Dude can win the rest of his regular season games by 40 and he’s still an iffy hire for a big time program.  He needs several runs in the tourney to make up for his putrid past in March.  

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Because he did fuck Bevo at midcourt.  Unfortunately that was while he was at UT.  Dude can win the rest of his regular season games by 40 and he’s still an iffy hire for a big time program.  He needs several runs in the tourney to make up for his putrid past in March.  

No no everything you said wasn’t right.  As a collective we understand he wasn’t the right hire for us.  

You can’t shake us, and we need to get better and we will.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve posted this here once before, and only once, and for good reason. but ima go ahead and post it one more time, because i straight up don’t like shaka and because i’ve seen enough evidence to at believe that this is at least plausible, if not probable:

Reveal hidden contents

i’ve heard from a good source- and a look at his recruiting classes and minutes distribution could support this- that shaka doesn’t like/essentially resents white people, and avoids recruiting white players whenever he can. obviously this is conjecture; obviously this is a fairly serious accusation as far as personal character goes; that said, the people i’ve spoken to make a pretty compelling case, and frankly, so does the LHN tape from his time here. plenty of video of him hanging out with the black players and damn near tucking their grown asses into bed; literally zero video of him hanging out with the white guys. then you have will baker as the only white player he recruited while at texas, a five star from his own backyard. im just saying- it’s at minimum plausible.

again, this is conjecture. i guess my main point would be that 99% of successful college basketball coaches are slime balls, and the rush to crown shaka as this exemplary human being really really REALLY irks me based on factual shit that i’ve posted here several times, along with this anti-white people conjecture which appears to be totally plausible. i’m not imploring you to hate the guy- but i am imploring people to stop sanctifying this guy when he’s as morally ambiguous as the next cbb coach. 

I like you and I like your posting. You provide value to this board. I have sympathy for you and some of the issues you’ve discussed on this board. I like that you and I want a NC in basketball, and we seem to be one of the few people who actually want a competitive basketball program and not just entertainment in between football and baseball. 

With that said, you should strongly considering deleting this. This is a very, very strong accusation, and (I’m not lawyer) it seems that if someone from that side go ahold of this, it could be trouble for you and the board. 

But more importantly, I’m genuinely concerned that your hatred of Shaka and inability to move on has an influence on your health. I was ready for him to go and I got my wish. Moreover, I got my bigger wish which was us hiring Beard. 3 years later, I just don’t care what Shaka does. He wins? Great. He loses? Cool, I don’t care. Same for Herman and Strong in football. But accusations like the above have the ability to do harm to many people, yourself included. You aren’t going to change the minds of media and what other people think about Shaka because of what he didn’t or didn’t do at Texas because you’re personally hurt for some of the things he did (didn’t do) while here.

Just a quick thot…

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve posted this here once before, and only once, and for good reason. but ima go ahead and post it one more time, because i straight up don’t like shaka and because i’ve seen enough evidence to at believe that this is at least plausible, if not probable:

I don't know, his white guard ABSOLUTELY torched us last night.  

• Haha 1

Shaka is fine if the team he recruited is firing on all cylinders(shooting deep).  It's when he gets in a jam in game that he doesn't have a way out(see floor slap and other huddle videos).  It is also why he doesn't do well in March.  team fails to shoot well or the coach on the other team takes something away he can't adjust.  good coaches in March.

he can recruit but that only goes so far.  I'll give him this, he parlayed one magical tourney run into a lot of money.

He gets pumped by the media for no particular reason.  He just wasn't ready for a big time program in the toughest conf in america when he came here.  He's in a good spot and he probably learned a lot while at Texas and that was why the hire was not good for us.  We can't be a training ground.  Texas also raised his profile and we got zilch.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

It was pretty obvious we got forced into Terry.  Terry's resume is/was basically meh, IMO but one game doesn't mean much.  get Disu back and see what he can do this year.  maybe he will surprise us.  

I believe CDC will be ready if needed.  Basketball should be one of the easier sports to turn around in a year or 2.

This roster just isn't very good without Disu. I still don't think people appreciate or realize how good Carr was last season - dude made everything work on O. Abmas is a nice scoring guard but he just isn't the overall player that Carr was. 

And I don't know what the fuck is up with Tyrese. He should be a very good college PG and we've seen flashes of it but most of the time he's just sort of a middling D1 player. Not sure if it's a BBIQ thing or a heart thing or what but too often he's utterly forgettable.

Terry tried to reload and did a pretty good job but it's entirely possible that we just lost too much from last season. That team was really fucking good and would have made the final four if not won the whole damn thing with better injury luck. It isn't realistic to have a team that good every season unless you're a top 5 coach at a top 5 program. 

These guys need time and they need Disu back and I think they have the chance to be pretty solid come March. They played one of the best teams in the country really tight the other night. This season is nowhere near an indictment of Terry yet - he's missing his best player and has a veteran point guard that's putting up abhorrent numbers. 

I like Terry a lot and think he will wind up being at Texas for awhile and put some more very good teams together. In one season he did more than Shaka did at Texas in six years. It's also possible he winds up being very meh and CDC finds someone better in a few years. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This roster just isn't very good without Disu. I still don't think people appreciate or realize how good Carr was last season - dude made everything work on O. Abmas is a nice scoring guard but he just isn't the overall player that Carr was. 

And I don't know what the fuck is up with Tyrese. He should be a very good college PG and we've seen flashes of it but most of the time he's just sort of a middling D1 player. Not sure if it's a BBIQ thing or a heart thing or what but too often he's utterly forgettable.

Terry tried to reload and did a pretty good job but it's entirely possible that we just lost too much from last season. That team was really fucking good and would have made the final four if not won the whole damn thing with better injury luck. It isn't realistic to have a team that good every season unless you're a top 5 coach at a top 5 program. 

These guys need time and they need Disu back and I think they have the chance to be pretty solid come March. They played one of the best teams in the country really tight the other night. This season is nowhere near an indictment of Terry yet - he's missing his best player and has a veteran point guard that's putting up abhorrent numbers. 

I like Terry a lot and think he will wind up being at Texas for awhile and put some more very good teams together. In one season he did more than Shaka did at Texas in six years. It's also possible he winds up being very meh and CDC finds someone better in a few years. 

No one dislikes Terry. Seems like a normal guy.  Beard built that team and they were pretty senior laden.  I give Terry credit that he kept the wheels on the wagon but it was Beard's team.  We'll see what happens when Disu comes back.  Hunter just isn't that good which isn't good for Terry but not his fault.

Personally I think Terry is a short term situation but we will see. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I give Terry credit that he kept the wheels on the wagon but it was Beard's team. 

He did more than keep the wheels on the wagon. He led a very talented team to six straight postseason wins. 

The question is whether or not he can put together another group of guys like that. He deserves to get a few seasons to try. 

Evaluating him in December is pointless, anyway. We could go 10-8 in the B12, wind up a 9 seed, but if we win a couple more tournament games it would be another good season. 

I'd certainly rather have RT than that chucklefuck fraud on the other bench that beat him by 20 last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He did more than keep the wheels on the wagon. He led a very talented team to six straight postseason wins. 

The question is whether or not he can put together another group of guys like that. He deserves to get a few seasons to try. 

Evaluating him in December is pointless, anyway. We could go 10-8 in the B12, wind up a 9 seed, but if we win a couple more tournament games it would be another good season. 

I'd certainly rather have RT than that chucklefuck fraud on the other bench that beat him by 20 last night. 

to each his own.  I think we can stop comparing him to Shaka.  We all know he was a fraud.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That sounds like about this team's ceiling to me, unfortunately. 

Unless Hunter remembers how to play basketball.

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

But more importantly, I’m genuinely concerned that your hatred of Shaka and inability to move on has an influence on your health.

i can promise you im fine. i don’t ever think about him unless there’s a tangible reason to, and i don’t think that anything that i’ve posted in this thread points towards an unhealthy obsession with a guy. again, i essentially never even think about the guy unless there’s a basketball related reason to. 

i only really hate one sports figure, and that’s jeff fisher, and even he takes up zero space in my head unless his name gets brought up. 

to recap: i want to see shaka smart fail as a HC. other than that, i don’t ever think about the guy, and i don’t hate him. i just don’t like the repeated insistence that he’s a “great guy”, when i know from talking to some of his former players that he’s just as crappy a guy as you’d expect any major d-1 basketball coach to be, specifically in terms of mistreating his players.

Edited by shadow_operative

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

I like you and I like your posting. You provide value to this board. I have sympathy for you and some of the issues you’ve discussed on this board. I like that you and I want a NC in basketball, and we seem to be one of the few people who actually want a competitive basketball program and not just entertainment in between football and baseball. 

With that said, you should strongly considering deleting this. This is a very, very strong accusation, and (I’m not lawyer) it seems that if someone from that side go ahold of this, it could be trouble for you and the board. 

But more importantly, I’m genuinely concerned that your hatred of Shaka and inability to move on has an influence on your health. I was ready for him to go and I got my wish. Moreover, I got my bigger wish which was us hiring Beard. 3 years later, I just don’t care what Shaka does. He wins? Great. He loses? Cool, I don’t care. Same for Herman and Strong in football. But accusations like the above have the ability to do harm to many people, yourself included. You aren’t going to change the minds of media and what other people think about Shaka because of what he didn’t or didn’t do at Texas because you’re personally hurt for some of the things he did (didn’t do) while here.

Just a quick thot…

also, pancho- you were there when a bunch of your homeboys shoulder checked me and then surrounded me at disch falk field, trying to get me to hit one of them so that they could jump me. you were *right there*, and you didn’t seem to have any worries about those guys and their insanely unhealthy obsession with me. in fact someone near where you were standing (you?) was even taking photos. you were just going to watch me get jumped had i decided to make a move, all because of one line that i said to a guy on shaggy. you didn’t intervene then, and when i finally brought it up on the boards you didn’t admonish your friends for their psycho behavior. but now i pass along some info that shaka allegedly doesn’t really like white people and now you’re worried for my health? come on man, stop it. that shit is patronizing and unfounded. just ridiculous really.

Edited by shadow_operative

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Reveal hidden contents

i’ve heard from a good source- and a look at his recruiting classes and minutes distribution could support this- that shaka doesn’t like/essentially resents white people, and avoids recruiting white players whenever he can. obviously this is conjecture; obviously this is a fairly serious accusation as far as personal character goes; that said, the people i’ve spoken to make a pretty compelling case, and frankly, so does the LHN tape from his time here. plenty of video of him hanging out with the black players and damn near tucking their grown asses into bed; literally zero video of him hanging out with the white guys. then you have will baker as the only white player he recruited while at texas, a five star from his own backyard. im just saying- it’s at minimum plausible.

again, this is conjecture. i guess my main point would be that 99% of successful college basketball coaches are slime balls, and the rush to crown shaka as this exemplary human being really really REALLY irks me based on factual shit that i’ve posted here several times, along with this anti-white people conjecture which appears to be totally plausible. i’m not imploring you to hate the guy- but i am imploring people to stop sanctifying this guy when he’s as morally ambiguous as the next cbb coach. 

Counterpoint from a fellow Shaka hater: white people suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, maybe I don’t understand the context of why you would say this but it’s a pretty serious thing to just throw out on a message board. His alleged hatred apparently did not extend to Augie who I know for a fact really liked Shaka and considered him a friend. He even was a requested speaker at his funeral.   I kind of find what you are saying a bit much but I’d suggest just leaving it at he was not that great of a coach while he was here. 

• Hook 'Em 2