Tell me about Christmas music that doesn't suck

locodos

Like the title says...  I'm looking for Christmas music that more or less meets the following criteria

1. Doesn't suck
  2. Not "pop" or modern
  3. Ideally instrumental, orchestral, and/or choral
  4. Doesn't have to be mainstream

Some of these are the vibe...

and maybe my only modernish.... Just sounds clean & lush

You get the idea...

PS Surly search is the Mariah of Christmas music

14 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

December and Charlie Brown Christmas are my go to LPs this time of year. Looks like you're covered.

December is a great one, and I like the Charlie Brown album as well, but I'm  interested in other great recommendations too.  I have music on all the time (not just around Christmas), two albums aren't going to get it done.

Over the last couple of decades I have done a lot of digging for seasonal songs that don't suck, because I really hate the 99.9 percent we always here that really are trash. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is one of my faves.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:07 AM, Stringer said:

I don’t know when it starts but KUTX goes wall to wall Christmas at some point and it is terrific. They do a great job of playing unique and eclectic music, including a lot of instrumental music. We stream it every Christmas whenever it starts.

FYI, this has begun.  Give it a listen.  

On 12/12/2023 at 8:23 PM, horn4life said:

I was talking to the wife about this one earlier today.  1978 Sam Houston Coliseum, I got a late invite from a gal on the beach in Galveston.  Great song as part of a great show.

It was a great show, but are you sure about that venue?  I was at his show at The Summit on December 8, 1978.  Here is the playlist:

The Summit, Houston, TX

Set One

Badlands

Streets of Fire

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Spirit In The Night

Independence Day

The Promised Land

Prove It All Night

Racing in the Street

Thunder Road

Jungleland

The Ties That Bind

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

The Fever

Fire

Candy's Room

Because the Night

Point Blank

She's the One

Backstreets

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Born to Run

Detroit Medley

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

You Can't Sit Down

Quarter To Three

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

It was a great show, but are you sure about that venue?  I was at his show at The Summit on December 8, 1978.  Here is the playlist:

The Summit, Houston, TX

Set One

Badlands

Streets of Fire

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Spirit In The Night

Independence Day

The Promised Land

Prove It All Night

Racing in the Street

Thunder Road

Jungleland

The Ties That Bind

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

The Fever

Fire

Candy's Room

Because the Night

Point Blank

She's the One

Backstreets

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Born to Run

Detroit Medley

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

You Can't Sit Down

Quarter To Three

Yep- I was thinking about that "invite from the beach" that Coliseum show was July 15th 1978.  You are correct on the Summit show.  I had 10 seats on the first row balcony for that one.  Good times...

Thanks again to whatever gal invited me to Springsteen for that first show.  It was awesome not having any expectations.  Now the expectations are so high for Springsteen live that it's damn near impossible to live up to the hyped expectations.  My BIL were talking about the 1980 show at the Erwin Center, he worked at Joske's here and got the ticket gal to pull the first tickets she could for him.  Third row Center at "the drum."   I was at that one too, but a lot farther back on the side.  

Regardless of all that, Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is coming to town always brings a smile to my face, for multiple reasons.

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

Yep- I was thinking about that "invite from the beach" that Coliseum show was July 15th 1978.  You are correct on the Summit show.  I had 10 seats on the first row balcony for that one.  Good times...

Thanks again to whatever gal invited me to Springsteen for that first show.  It was awesome not having any expectations.  Now the expectations are so high for Springsteen live that it's damn near impossible to live up to the hyped expectations.  My BIL were talking about the 1980 show at the Erwin Center, he worked at Joske's here and got the ticket gal to pull the first tickets she could for him.  Third row Center at "the drum."   I was at that one too, but a lot farther back on the side.  

Regardless of all that, Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is coming to town always brings a smile to my face, for multiple reasons.

I was at the 1980 concert at the Erwin Center as well.  Second row from the stage.  A guy in the frat was on the events committee and didn’t know who Springsteen was.  It was amazing.  I saw him again at Moody Center this year.  The guy can still play.