Strongest Solar Flare of this Solar Cycle…

Rip76

Anyone going to try and see the Aurora Borealis resulting from this storm? Tonight thru Sunday. I don't know if we'll be able to see it in Austin with the naked eye and lights though.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Anyone going to try and see the Aurora Borealis resulting from this storm? Tonight thru Sunday. I don't know if we'll be able to see it in Austin with the naked eye and lights though.

My kids are farther north, and they're looking.  But they're in cities, so the glare is a problem.  My daughter sent a pic from one of her friends in rural northern Germany, they got the aurora.  Apparently, the lights show up better on your phone camera than they do for the naked eye.

Bout half the corn planters in the US uses GPS for steering*.  Can confirm the flares are making them all flake out.  Gonna be alotta curvy rows.

*John Deere has had fsd for over a decade.  Not sure why Elmo can’t figure out how to do it.

• Haha 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

https://www.space.com/the-carrington-event

we have 6 ejections already on the way

they are additive

it's a question of whether or not we take a direct hit, or multiple direct hits

it will be very difficult for wheels to protect the grid this time by burning every commercial light in every rona-emptied building this time around

i filled up the car and bought some extra food just now

not because i expect wheel's grid to crash

but because there is going to be mass panic and a run on everything like an inbound hurricane on the fear that the grid does go, because if it does, no point of sale

no gas, no food, no nothing, other than looters and rioters

none of this may come to pass but they just went to level 5

if we take a direct hit, high-voltage transmissions lines WILL GO DOWN

the last level 5 was in 2003

the 1989 level 5 took out quebec for 9 hours, but is was a single hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

gird your loins

34 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That ain't the Northern Lights, Griz, that's sewer gas.  

Needs all the rep

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean it’s a good idea to have protections in place for a major EMP type event. Im not sure precious metals matter though. 

fCLwY4.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

My brother in-law, retired cop, says if you are going to prep you need to build up from the 3-Bs:
Beans (meaning dry foods - beans, rice, pasta, wheat, and malt/barley to make your beer)
Beverages (90% water, then your favored alcohol)
Bullets (along with a reloader & supplies)

here is an interesting site he sent me a few years ago - interesting source

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/topics/food-storage/longer-term-food-supply?lang=eng

For longer-term needs, and where permitted, gradually build a supply of food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, white rice, and beans. These items can last 30 years or more when properly packaged and stored in a cool, dry place. A portion of these items may be rotated in your three-month supply. Consider using this resource from the BYU Department of Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science: “An Approach to Longer-Term Food Storage.”

Foods Lasting 30 Years or More

food storage

Properly packaged, low-moisture foods stored at room temperature or cooler (24°C/75°F or lower) remain nutritious and edible much longer than previously thought, according to findings of recent scientific studies. Estimated shelf life for many products has increased to 30 years or more (see chart below for new estimates of shelf life).

Previous estimates of longevity were based on "best-if-used-by" recommendations and experience. Though not studied, sugar, salt, baking soda (essential for soaking beans), and vitamin C in tablet form also store well long-term. Some basic foods do need more frequent rotation, such as vegetable oil every 1 to 2 years.

While there is a decline in nutritional quality and taste over time, depending on the original quality of food and how it was processed, packaged, and stored, the studies show that even after being stored long-term, the food will help sustain life in an emergency.

FOOD NEW "LIFE-SUSTAINING" SHELF-LIFE ESTIMATES (IN YEARS)
Wheat 30+
White rice 30+
Corn 30+
Sugar 30+
Pinto beans 30 
Rolled oats 30
Pasta 30 
Potato flakes 30
Apple slices 30
Non-fat powdered milk 20
Dehydrated carrots 20

Product Recommendations

The following suggested amounts are for one adult.

QUANTITY FOR ONE MONTH RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS LONG-TERM STORAGE LIFE
11.5 kg./ 25 lbs Wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains 30+ years
2.5 kg. / 5 lbs Dry beans 30+ years

You may also want to add other items to your longer-term storage such as sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing vitamin C and other essential nutrients.

Packaging Recommendations

Recommended containers for longer-term storage include the following: 

• Foil pouches (available through Church Distribution Services)
  • PETE bottles (for dry products such as wheat, corn, and beans)

These containers, used with oxygen absorber packets, eliminate food-borne insects and help preserve nutritional quality and taste.

Under certain conditions, you can also use plastic buckets for longer-term storage of wheat, dry beans, and other dry products.

Warning: Botulism poisoning may result if moist products are stored in packaging that reduces oxygen. When stored in airtight containers with oxygen absorbers, products must be dry (about 10% or less moisture content).

Every prepper I've ever known refers back to the LDS prepper guides. It makes you wonder what the hell the Mormons are up to.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude.  When society and the economy collapses, precious metals are just shiny baubles.  NOTHING THAT IS NOT UTILITARIAN WILL HAVE VALUE.  If we are REALLY heading for total social and economic collapse, the only metal you should be buying is lead, cast into ammo and topping off a powder-filled brass casing.

Yep.  You could have $20,000 in gold coins (paging @RDCanecutter) but somebody with $10 worth of lead can relieve you of that burden.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

Every prepper I've ever known refers back to the LDS prepper guides. It makes you wonder what the hell the Mormons are up to.

It’s just a reflection of the fact that everybody thought the Mormons were assholes (they were basically sovereign citizens on acid) and kept kicking them out of their states (New York, Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, etc.) and so the Mormons were constantly on the move for a long time. It paid to be prepared to grab a few things and move on fast if the locals got pissed that you were eying their wimmen, or that you were in a cult and your leader Joseph Smith was a criminal.  Their paranoia about always being prepared was well-founded in the 19th Century, but it was also a self-inflicted problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s just a reflection of the fact that everybody thought the Mormons were assholes (they were basically sovereign citizens on acid) and kept kicking them out of their states (New York, Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, etc.) and so the Mormons were constantly on the move for a long time. It paid to be prepared to grab a few things and move on fast if the locals got pissed that you were eying their wimmen, or that you were in a cult and your leader Joseph Smith was a criminal.  Their paranoia about always being prepared was well-founded in the 19th Century, but it was also a self-inflicted problem.

I suspect it's probably a combination of their belief in "End Times" and the persecution they experienced. It wasn't until I started reading Zane Grey novels that I got an appreciation for the persecution that the LDS experienced. In Riders of the Purple Sage the LDS were portrayed as over the top villains.

I was mid-way through Purple Sage when I did some reading on anti-Mormonism. I had no idea how much of an outcast LDS people were back in the day.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I was mid-way through Purple Sage when I did some reading on anti-Mormonism. I had no idea how much of an outcast LDS people were back in the day.

They did a pretty good job of pissing off their neighbors everywhere they went. Zane Grey did a decent job of covering the polygamy stuff, but then again he was writing about this stuff as it happened (or had recently happened).   Been some time since I read some Zane Grey, need to add him to the list.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

A few photos from Seattle in the pictures post, but here's another 

IMG_20240510_231817.jpg

Took the hour drive up to the pass and it was amazing (also several hundred other people decided to go to the exact same spot, lol). The camera picks up a lot more of the reddish wavelengths than the eye does. Even after returning home and walking down to the waterfront in downtown Seattle, there was still quite a visible show directly overhead. Really amazing to see.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

but because there is going to be mass panic and a run on everything like an inbound hurricane on the fear that the grid does go, because if it does, no point of sale

You are the mass panic. I love watching people like you. 

Get a grip man…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  You could have $20,000 in gold coins (paging @RDCanecutter) but somebody with $10 worth of lead can relieve you of that burden.

The smart money is spending $20,000 on tattoos because to get them they have to skin your entire body.

Back to prepping, any list that doesn't start with "Lots of Friends" and "Hand-pumped Water Well" is a list of junk that people will scavenge off of your body. Preppers don't seem to think about making friends for some reason.

That's assuming Mad Max levels of Mayhem. But SHTF could have lots of notches that it hits before swirling into complete cannibalism.

[Bubba Gump Voice]You got your mild depression SHTF. You got your Mexico in the 1980s bottom-falls-out-of-the-currency-but-you-still-can-catch-a-taxi SHTF. Then they's Hurricane Katrina SHTF cept spread over a whole state or two. Some folks like gang-infested Honduras SHTF, but you can still go on Mercado Libre in Honduras and buy a sun dress, if that floats your boat. They's Venezuela SHTF, then they's Somalia SHTF and Eastern Ukraine SHTF, where I think the shit gets all over you no matter which way the fan is pointed. Anyway, long story short, all y'all old fat fucks gon die.[/BGV]

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 5/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, Pimphand said:

Four CMEs from X class flares headed to earth. Going to have widespread service disruptions starting tomorrow night and all through Saturday.

Surly message board geniuses:

image.thumb.png.beea93e8e6f331134b0099ab45f082b5.pngy my fon no werk

y game no werk

One day you scrubs will get it but it will likely be after the dollar dies the financial system collapses then you agree to your masters terms accepting UBI & CBDC because you were too stupid to maintain your freedom. Of course by then they may have you so hopped up on dopamine that you won't so needless to say I won't be holding my breath.

IMG_2691.gif.0cc61802b8d456ede08f65317e5def18.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

https://www.space.com/the-carrington-event

we have 6 ejections already on the way

they are additive

it's a question of whether or not we take a direct hit, or multiple direct hits

it will be very difficult for wheels to protect the grid this time by burning every commercial light in every rona-emptied building this time around

none of this may come to pass but they just went to level 5

if we take a direct hit, high-voltage transmissions lines WILL GO DOWN

the last level 5 was in 2003

the 1989 level 5 took out quebec for 9 hours, but is was a single hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

gird your loins

Panic buying is a Texas thing. My sister sends me pics of empty shelves in Texas whenever something triggers panic buying. One time, I replied with panoramic photos of my neighborhood grocery store fully stocked. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

You are the mass panic. I love watching people like you. 

Get a grip man…

fuck off everyone

i have ptsd from the 21 vortex when my wife was trapped in jester no power no water iced in and fucking wheels protecting the grid by burning every commercial light statewide and i was 200 miles away and could do jack shit

+++

on 9 march 20 i was halfway to houston when all travel was cancelled by the fortune 100 i was with at the time

i turned around, drove back to collinco, walked in to the tom thumb in allen, expecting a mob scene

i had the whole fucking store to myself - the soup aisle stocked to the gills with pre-rona supply chain bounty, all on sale 5 for $10

i dropped $400 there, then went to Sam's and bought 10 of the 38-roll packs - i was a savior to neighbors who watch fox because i actually have the christian compassion they lack

i only had to go in to a grocery store once a month in the first 6 months of the pandemic when the perishables were completely gone

in the case of the rona, i could see the future, so fuck off everyone if i'm wrong on this one, and i hope i am

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Panic buying is a Texas thing. My sister sends me pics of empty shelves in Texas whenever something triggers panic buying. One time, I replied with panoramic photos of my neighborhood grocery store fully stocked. 

THANK YOU!   it's not that i'm expecting the grid to go down....  i am expecting the proles go wild with fear

it's what we do

i know jack about electrical engineering....  reading the quebec 89 wiki, they installed "series compensation" to stop future events from taking down their high voltage lines

here is the top ercot result on "series compensation".... it's a .ppt deck from 2014 and i can't figure out we have "series compensation" on our ERCOT transmission lines.... anyway this is a .ppt

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.ercot.com/files/docs/2014/06/02/series_compensation_and_ssr_concepts_2014_ots.ppt&ved=2ahUKEwi4upeaoYaGAxU94skDHYOVAGMQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3lFyqxwTl5_43FaoHQqEGo

sites i'm following today:

data updates hourly:

https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/slider/index.html?appid=37da82c22ecf4a51b9acefa5309f9872

data updates every 10 minutes

https://poweroutage.com/uk

https://poweroutage.com/ca

https://poweroutage.us/

the uk jumped from 2k to 3k customers without power in the last 15 minutes, and florida has an outage of 86000

texas, california & mississippi currently sitting at >6k out

also on the NOAA crowdmag global map, there is a line of contributors from southwest greece, to tunisia, coastal algeria and spain next to gibraltar, and they all remain "yellow-orange" for the last hour since i started watching

that latitude is north of us, and as the eartn rotates, any sudden jump to red for those locations is our 6-hour canary

On 5/10/2024 at 2:22 PM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

“Geomagnetic Storm” is quite the buzzwords on the internet’s today…

stan marsh robot GIF by South Park

was wondering why the sun seemed so bright when I walked to lunch earlier…

You Got It Bob GIF by CBS

I don't give two squirts of piss how fucking stupid you are.... It matters not to me.

On 5/10/2024 at 2:15 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Now you tell me. I bought food and am learning to grow bullion. 

You grow food and buy bullion while you can you stupid dumbshit LMFAO.

I honestly want to know how y'all got through this world

17 hours ago, F250 said:

I suspect it's probably a combination of their belief in "End Times" and the persecution they experienced. It wasn't until I started reading Zane Grey novels that I got an appreciation for the persecution that the LDS experienced. In Riders of the Purple Sage the LDS were portrayed as over the top villains.

in 1835 old joe revelated jesus' return in 1891

the first 4 generations of brethren lived a millenial reality as "the chosen people" "living in the end times" whose blood was transmogrified during the first temple endowment ceremony, after which they viewed themselves as a "race" distinct from other anglos (you and I) who they referred to and continue to refer to as "gentiles"

the "persecution" they gave and got had little to do with their prepping mentality

they were shitty planners until they got communism in deseret; they had 6 months to plan the evacuation of nauvoo and botched that; 100 died that winter in ecampments strung across iowa on the trail to winter quarters (omaha) where they lost 600 over 2 winters (46/47 & 47/48); then they lost almost 2000 emigrating to deseret from 47 to 69

the greatest single fuckup in their history was the willie and martin handcart disaster where 210 of 980 died of starvation and exposure pulling handcarts in sub-zero temperatures

once they were settled in deseret, several failed harvests preceded the 54/55 drought due to light snowfall during the winter of 1854 which led to the 1856 disaster where an infestation of grasshoppers and crickets destroyed the remaining crops and zion lost 1/3rd  their cattle leading to mass scarcity for flour and beef; this privation was the crucible for incubation of the mormon reformation, which set match to flame to the "burning bosoms" needed to carry out the orders from headquarters and do the job at the meadows

the following year headquarters ordered a record harvest be cached away in the mountains to sustain the resistance to the "invading" US army in the coming winter, while they waited for jesus to come

and there you have the prepping

they've been doing it since 1858

abracadabra

• Like 1