Surly Horns State of Things End 2023

immamac

19 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

2) Original written content (a la the stuff Scipio did back in day or old school Jesus Shuttlesworth stuff) isn't as appealing for me vs the aggregation (to be fair I am not running site/managing site expenses etc). I like fact that this place is in a lot of ways a single source for Longhorn shit across the internet. I actually value the independence that Surly has vs trying to be a sunshine pumper or being beholden to Belmont for access etc (exception being Thujone needs to get off his ass as MS Paint threads are always gold)

Somewhat the same.  I come here because anything Texas worth knowing.gets posted here.

I do however miss "talking shop" with other football heads.  A lot of what those content guys brought was at least ensuing football discussion.  I don't have the time really to string together gifs.

18 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I can only speak for myself in saying

1) I love this site. (and most of the assholes that populate it). While I have met very few of you in person (why spoil the mystery) over the years, I truly enjoy the discussion/commentary etc from this place.

2) Original written content (a la the stuff Scipio did back in day or old school Jesus Shuttlesworth stuff) isn't as appealing for me vs the aggregation (to be fair I am not running site/managing site expenses etc). I like fact that this place is in a lot of ways a single source for Longhorn shit across the internet. I actually value the independence that Surly has vs trying to be a sunshine pumper or being beholden to Belmont for access etc (exception being Thujone needs to get off his ass as MS Paint threads are always gold)

3) Shaggy cloak room skewed right, Surly cloak room skews left, Mods do a good job by and large keeping politics off other boards. I am sure that the cloak room threads have pushed some folks away but at the end of the day I cannot imagine it is a different number than in years past. Key to CR is to keep it in CR (see TexAgs as an example of when you don't)

4) This place is at its best when threads start organically vs being forced (1st Sexual Encounter thread in MS Paint as an example). Maybe there could be a better way to pin or highlight fast moving threads for exposure. This could serve to encourage views. Maybe have a hot thread folder where top threads for week appear etc.

All in all this is a good site and a good community of assholes. If a fan from another program gets their feelings hurt because they made some stupid "herp a derp" take, good. Fuck 'em. There have been tons of fans from other schools over the years that have made this place a home and added value/contributed.

This is hard part of providing a B2C service, 100s of different opinions/likes/dislikes etc. It is why I have always done B2B Sales.

The thing is I think everyone is actually aligned on all 4 of your key points and that’s what makes this place special. Sprinkle in a hilarious edit her and there and that’s the magic. I’m not saying we need jimbo getting spiked by a volleyball at pool party gifs all the time, but they have started to get further and further apart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

having run a fairly large website in the past i feel your pain @Immamac . the cost of bandwidth is sky rocketing and theres no slowdown in sight.  im fairly new here about a year or so but i appreciate what goes on.  its mostly good peeps in here. about all i add is the occasional funny.  ill do better in the future.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind a banner ad. I get ads from the NYT, WaPo, and everywhere else. Subscription or not, ads are a given. There has to be a way to generate ad revenue without it being completely shitty.

Reading vs. video

Maybe cut up some good quotes from around here and AI some talk and post that shit up like they do on reddit threads. The utes eat that up. God knows we're some surly snarky bastards, it's a matter of mining and production. We have some funny. Get it in front of their eyeballs.

Noobs and lurkers

No joke, if you come in here with some hot sports opinions in the football threads you're probably going to be working uphill. I see some posters with sub 500 rep that have been here since the migration and probably date back to the early dawn of message boards. That's just how it is. Some folks are going to be lurkers. 

I've been to a Dallas HH and the TX/OU pregame a couple of times. The first time it didn't cross my mind that @immamac had an open tab. If the tailgating is popular we can find a way to pay for it without going in the hole. 

• Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind a banner ad. I get ads from the NYT, WaPo, and everywhere else. Subscription or not, ads are a given. There has to be a way to generate ad revenue without it being completely shitty.

Reading vs. video

Maybe cut up some good quotes from around here and AI some talk and post that shit up like they do on reddit threads. The utes eat that up. God knows we're some surly snarky bastards, it's a matter of mining and production. We have some funny. Get it in front of their eyeballs.

Noobs and lurkers

No joke, if you come in here with some hot sports opinions in the football threads you're probably going to be working uphill. I see some posters with sub 500 rep that have been here since the migration and probably date back to the early dawn of message boards. That's just how it is. Some folks are going to be lurkers. 

I've been to a Dallas HH and the TX/OU pregame a couple of times. The first time it didn't cross my mind that @immamac had an open tab. If the tailgating is popular we can find a way to pay for it without going in the hole. 

We had 850+ people in Tuscaloosa and averaged well over 100 this year at the tailgates. I think that side will figure itself out next year. The NIL stuff will just get pulled back a bit to allow for some padding at the end of the year. We did 14,400 each basically being okay with some churn off when we could have done 10k and been fine with the churn we had. 2023 had a lot of layoffs. A lot. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The thing is I think everyone is actually aligned on all 4 of your key points and that’s what makes this place special. Sprinkle in a hilarious edit her and there and that’s the magic. I’m not saying we need jimbo getting spiked by a volleyball at pool party gifs all the time, but they have started to get further and further apart. 

I'm still trying to figure out why this is in the recruiting subform. I can't think of a thread that is more Board Discussion than this one

I really enjoyed the livestream and interviews on the day CFP brackets were announced. I know the "olds" (50+) don't consume much of the tiktok/reels but like they did with Facebook and social media I think they will adapt soon. Podcasts and livestreams are good for commuters or people who can listen to sports radio while working.

Anyway, I don't want to ramble too much, but if I were someone with the means to buy this business, I would consider the community to be by far its most valuable asset. It's intangible, probably illiquid, but still the reason why it's better than everywhere else.

If this were a bar, it might not have the best beer, or the best amenities, or even the best featured performers, but it always has and always will have the best crowd. I think you've done a great job of keeping the crowd happy. People will come, people will go, and certain opinions and attitudes will change, but no matter what the overall community is still the best there is when it comes to the University of Texas.

How does one make money, or at least break even, by having the best crowd? There has to be a way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, immamac said:

The internet is just a totally different place than it used to be, we also don’t have nearly as many content creators starting media based threads - we are a primarily discussion and link aggregation community vs an original media content community. Shaggy had a lot more people doing their own photoshops, GIFs, MS Paints and a lot of generally more consumable drive by type stuff. If you don’t care about Texas sports this place is actually really difficult to land on and go.

Our coaching search threads, Quinn transfer thread, manning commit thread etc are some of the best in the internet regardless of school. This isn’t a place to doomscroll or just come consume content without having an opinion and that’s just not what the internet is anymore for 18-30 year olds. I’ve been trying to figure out a content strategy that will work without alienating the existing community, but there really isn’t a way to balance it. We don’t want to be barstool longhorn, they don’t drive shit for engagement and are just the shithead Steve of Texas football. Take other people’s shit or be unoriginal and crass and call it a day.

I don’t know if there’s just something I need to do to reward posts over 100 rep with a bounty to get people to start creating more original content again, but I can’t tell you how much it actually fucking pisses me off that almost every single recruiting threads first post is just a twitter embed of an edit not even hosted on this site. We don’t need write ups of the recruits but someone doing funny ass edits would be absolutely on brand and money for what the community loves. I just can’t fund that in any way and balance all that in doing for NIL and running this site in a way that effectively costs me hundreds if not thousands of hours a year. I’m not going to do all that work and then pour another 30k of my own money on top of it, it just doesn’t make sense as this isn’t my job.

Probably a stupid question, but is there a framework for what sort of posts are 'good' for the site and what are 'bad'? So far I've gotten that Tweet embeds = bad, longform/original content like articles, videos, GIFs = good. You mentioned some of our best threads (like Quinn transferring, Manning committing, etc.) but those threads were filled with much more of the former than the latter. Does it just boil down to whatever drives the most engagement? If so, maybe the Barstool Longhorn path (shudder) really is the way to go.

Edited by satyanash

Just now, satyanash said:

Probably a stupid question, but is there a framework for what sort of posts are 'good' for the site and what are 'bad'? So far I've gotten that Tweet embeds = bad, longform/original content like articles, videos, GIFs = good. You mentioned some of our best threads (like Quinn transferring, Manning committing, etc.) but those threads were filled with much more of the former than the latter. Does it just boil down to whatever drives the most engagement?

Those threads had so many screenshottable exchanges and straight up original memes in them like every other page. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t read most of this thread so apologize if this has already been stated, but this board is just stale. The highlights of this site should be the Football and Recruiting boards but so many threads on both are filled with so many shit/off topic post I could see why guest that are just browsing would want to just find the news they are looking for and then leave and never want to be a part of this community.

Same with the younger crowd, I don't think it's an issue with not knowing how to engage, I think it's more that most of the content on this board isn't worth engaging with. I think too many posters took "Surly assholes" to heart and too many unfunny people think they are comedians and instead of making worthwhile post they are trying to make post to gain rep from others. I think the biggest issue here is the overall quality of post being made on this site.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty interesting reading this after having a conversation of why I turned down command and chose to retire ( news flash I haven’t been enlisted for like 15 years I just kept this name cuz it was the same on shaggy etc). There are many parallels happening in the service as well but Cr is Cr.  Anyway. I would have always loved to donate here. But I’ve seen this site dox fools down to their neighbors 3rd grade teacher and no way I wanted to risk that because there’s some crazy fuckers here.    But this sight is the only website I visit. The only one I still chat on and the only one that brings me any joy   Like will future man ever fist his own ass for being wrong. To recruiting day gems. 

bluf.  Society is changing and hopefully this site continues on. Because our meltdowns appearing on other schools pages were a true thing of beauty even with the warning label of hide your wife and kids before reading the shaggy meltdowns 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Pretty interesting reading this after having a conversation of why I turned down command and chose to retire ( news flash I haven’t been enlisted for like 15 years I just kept this name cuz it was the same on shaggy etc). There are many parallels happening in the service as well but Cr is Cr.  Anyway. I would have always loved to donate here. But I’ve seen this site dox fools down to their neighbors 3rd grade teacher and no way I wanted to risk that because there’s some crazy fuckers here.    But this sight is the only website I visit. The only one I still chat on and the only one that brings me any joy   Like will future man ever fist his own ass for being wrong. To recruiting day gems. 

bluf.  Society is changing and hopefully this site continues on. Because our meltdowns appearing on other schools pages were a true thing of beauty even with the warning label of hide your wife and kids before reading the shaggy meltdowns 

I'm not super familiar with any of kind of nefarious activity that happens on this site. I largely stick to the recruit board as I tell everyone I meet from surly. That being said I'm 99% certain only imma would ever have access to your personal information should you choose to donate. That being said I can't tell you how to spend your money, but hopefully you'll at least consider donating to TOF if not the tree fiddy club or Burnt Ends.

Also, thank you for your service.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We have the #1 RTF program in the country:

https://www.collegeraptor.com/Majors/Details/9.0701/Level/Bachelors-degree/State/All/Radio-and-Television/

How about you ask quietly...   and let the Daily Texas editorial staff we are accepting applications for interns.

Here's the app form:

Horn RTF students - what do you think the surl should do to make the site relevant to the wider world?

Then pick 5 submissions and hire ye some interns.  Give them some budget and turn them loose.

This is a great idea.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

@immamac isn’t the one doxing, you share shit on a post and piss someone off and that aggrieved poster licking his wounds does it, then they get ban hammered IP address ban. 

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Didn’t read most of this thread so apologize if this has already been stated, but this board is just stale. The highlights of this site should be the Football and Recruiting boards but so many threads on both are filled with so many shit/off topic post I could see why guest that are just browsing would want to just find the news they are looking for and then leave and never want to be a part of this community.

Same with the younger crowd, I don't think it's an issue with not knowing how to engage, I think it's more that most of the content on this board isn't worth engaging with. I think too many posters took "Surly assholes" to heart and too many unfunny people think they are comedians and instead of making worthwhile post they are trying to make post to gain rep from others. I think the biggest issue here is the overall quality of post being made on this site.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Fuuuuuck no.

G650 is correct. Party on the game threads, waste your life on the other boards. It’s the high life man. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I read this post twice looking for anything worth reading and couldn’t find it. 0 stars, would not recommend. 

• Haha 6

On 12/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, immamac said:

It's not just the message board, it's that we've been able to keep our cultural identity and fend off the blatant over politicalization of everything - Cloak Room has evolved and Daily Texan is a bit different than before, but those 2 places have kept the rest of the board pristine and very much the same vibe as before the internet went to shit. 

I don't want an algorithm pushing suggested shit to your inbox or notifications, I don't want to spam your fucking email, I don't enshittify you when you sign up and engage I reward you with no ads/fewer ads. 

If I showed ads to "legacy members" tier of people, even just one at the top of the page revenue would skyrocket. I'm just not willing to compromise on things like that because I feel like when you do that is by definition the enshitification of the internet. 

I’d like to just take a moment to say “Thank You” for keeping the vast majority of political shit in CR and out of Football or Recruiting.

I come to those boards in large part to escape/avoid the fuckshittery that politics and political discussions has become.

OTOH, I’ve been occasionally guilty of dragging my politics into some discussions on those boards and I apologize for doing so.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, troph said:

G650 is correct. Party on the game threads, waste your life on the other boards. It’s the high life man. 

JFC, the game threads are like an ice pick to the eyeball, even after the fact. Every call is bad, all the decisions are wrong, the entire program is steeped in incompetence, Texas won. Granted this isn’t limited to surly — I heard quite a few “we’re no better than last year” takes after the first half of the first game — but that’s part of why I don’t watch games around other people other than in stadium. 

I’m an old, so I still read. The thing is, though, the idiocy-to-insight level is so fucking high across Reddit or X or wherever, that I don’t really have the motivation to try to sort the wheat from the chaff in those places, even for Texas football (one of the very damned few things that I haven’t burned out on in my life), much less from a boundless cesspool like TikTok. Here, the pool is more manageable and it doesn’t take long to grasp who’s a dumbfuck and who’s worth reading, even if I’m not in lockstep with his views. 

I’m here for the recruiting and football, but some of the other boards — Help, Hobbies — are worth some time. CR would be interesting but I’d get negged into Bolivia because it very much appears that even honest disagreement on principles is largely unwelcome. 

Windy bullshit aside, I obviously don’t have any answers. I’m very hesitant to attach any personal information to places where I interact online, but I’ll probably get around to subscribing or whatever. Apart from that, maybe some way better to highlight useful/important/insightful posts that I might not otherwise come across and to drive eyes from the interwebs, in general, to such posts might not be bad.

Off to get the cinnamon rolls on the road and the turkey out of the brine. Merry Christmas, y’all, and Hook ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry to see all this angst about Surly in its totality.   I spend a lot of time every day on the sports boards mainly and rarely venture anywhere else on the site.

Unfortunately, I have no internet skills that add to the greatness that is Surly, no insider information, no desire to flame other posters. 

Would be more than happy to raise my support level for the site itself.  Looking forward to seeing people next season as we can easily hit road games from our current home in St. Louis.

Thanks for all that you do and keep up the good work.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

JFC, the game threads are like an ice pick to the eyeball, even after the fact. Every call is bad, all the decisions are wrong, the entire program is steeped in incompetence, Texas won. Granted this isn’t limited to surly — I heard quite a few “we’re no better than last year” takes after the first half of the first game — but that’s part of why I don’t watch games around other people other than in stadium. 

I’m an old, so I still read. The thing is, though, the idiocy-to-insight level is so fucking high across Reddit or X or wherever, that I don’t really have the motivation to try to sort the wheat from the chaff in those places, even for Texas football (one of the very damned few things that I haven’t burned out on in my life), much less from a boundless cesspool like TikTok. Here, the pool is more manageable and it doesn’t take long to grasp who’s a dumbfuck and who’s worth reading, even if I’m not in lockstep with his views. 

I’m here for the recruiting and football, but some of the other boards — Help, Hobbies — are worth some time. CR would be interesting but I’d get negged into Bolivia because it very much appears that even honest disagreement on principles is largely unwelcome. 

Windy bullshit aside, I obviously don’t have any answers. I’m very hesitant to attach any personal information to places where I interact online, but I’ll probably get around to subscribing or whatever. Apart from that, maybe some way better to highlight useful/important/insightful posts that I might not otherwise come across and to drive eyes from the interwebs, in general, to such posts might not be bad.

Off to get the cinnamon rolls on the road and the turkey out of the brine. Merry Christmas, y’all, and Hook ‘em.

I didn’t say you take the game threads seriously. It’s a place you can say almost anything and chalk it up to “heat of the moment” - I cuss worse than a sailor on shore leave generally, but game threads I can take that to 11. It’s a guilty pleasure unlike touching myself which has no guilt at all. Plus I really meant all of the sports boards. The other boards are what keep me sticking around. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We got a massive freebie with Thujone maturing as an artist on the old shag. I feel like photoshop battles are more of an internet thing of that era as well. I wish we could do sec shorts. I doubt I find the inspiration but maybe parody songs? What is the kind of content that would make people lol in that good old shaggy way?

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, troph said:

I didn’t say you take the game threads seriously. It’s a place you can say almost anything and chalk it up to “heat of the moment” - I cuss worse than a sailor on shore leave generally, but game threads I can take that to 11. It’s a guilty pleasure unlike touching myself which has no guilt at all. 

Exactly. Every college football fan base goes the way of the game thread. Just look at the Dr Pepper commercial when they were melting down and the sheriff had to tell them it was the first play of the game. That wasn't parody, it was real life. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I've been in and out and lurking around since living in a 100 square foot apartment in Silver Lake (LA) in 2003 and missing home. As I get older and wiser I get further and further away from engaging over the internets, but when things are good here it feels like I'm back in the lounge at the house after eating at Threadgills or Ciscos, trying to motivate to play golf at Lost Creek (or cards at Dry Creek). So thank you for that my brothers and sisters. I'll try to up my game.

Edited by mwaadeeb
and Merry Christmas!
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

... What is the kind of content that would make people lol in that good old shaggy way?

IMO, it's not the medium, it's the wit.  This community has always had a decent wit that could take innocuous or mundane discussion to unexpected and entertaining directions.  Wit needs to be nurtured though.  Whether there was something lost in the translation of the Shaggy-Surly move or major events of the last decade just affecting peeps, I don't know but I think the culture/tone of Surly these days isn't what it used to be years ago on Shaggy.  $.02

• Hook 'Em 3

The recruiting board here is just the best. I enjoy catching up on those threads reading 10 pages at a time. It's just good content, reading the stories about recruitments and personal anecdotes from people who interact with coaches/recruits/recruiting insiders.

The "bestest recruiting class ever" saga at aggie was sublime. You had people here, in real time, speaking actual truth to what was happening there, and correctly predicting that it would all blow up in their faces. Meanwhile, regular fans that i would interact with in real life definitely thought aggie pulled one over on everyone, and that their big haul of mercenaries would have them competing in significant games.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

https://www.collegeraptor.com/Majors/Details/9.0701/Level/Bachelors-degree/State/All/Radio-and-Television/

How about you ask quietly...   and let the Daily Texas editorial staff we are accepting applications for interns.

Here's the app form:

Horn RTF students - what do you think the surl should do to make the site relevant to the wider world?

Then pick 5 submissions and hire ye some interns.  Give them some budget and turn them loose.

I would assume students would be interested in this. Especially students who cover sports for The Daily Texan. 

This place is the tits! I’ve been here since near the beginning. The “Bringing a picture to a job interview” thread was the kind of shenanigans that drew me here. This place is special because of the crazy personalities that are allowed to exist in the space. $3.50 a month is not much and $10.00 for Burnt ends is a couple of beers a month. We should be able to fund a large portion of NIL just from this place alone. I echo the sentiments of all who have praised immamac, you’re the unsung hero here plus all the behind the scenes guys. Please everyone do what it takes to keep this site strong. I’m not talented enough to post the cutting edge content but I give my measly $13.50 a month to try to do something. This is the most unique fan site that exists, do what you can to support it. 
Hook’em🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 6

45 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I would assume students would be interested in this. Especially students who cover sports for The Daily Texan. 

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Here's the app form:

Would love to do this. I’d even go in person to meet with counselors etc. the problem is that the school doesn’t seem to want to help. I tried the last 2 years and it fell flat and on deaf ears and I’m not gonna continually chase administrative people to tell kids about the opportunity. 

The other way is to set up a booth on campus and let people know but I’m now an “old” so it just really comes off as creepy and not genuine IMHO. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Exactly. Every college football fan base goes the way of the game thread. Just look at the Dr Pepper commercial when they were melting down and the sheriff had to tell them it was the first play of the game. That wasn't parody, it was real life. 

That sheriff can go fall off a clif

Just now, immamac said:

Would love to do this. I’d even go in person to meet with counselors etc. the problem is that the school doesn’t seem to want to help. I tried the last 2 years and it fell flat and on deaf ears and I’m not gonna continually chase administrative people to tell kids about the opportunity. 

The other way is to set up a booth on campus and let people know but I’m now an “old” so it just really comes off as creepy and not genuine IMHO. 

They still have pin boards in buildings, like the communication building?  Or buy an ad in the Texan?  The people that make the paper would at least see it. Do rtf people congregate anywhere off campus?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They still have pin boards in buildings, like the communication building?  Or buy an ad in the Texan?  The people that make the paper would at least see it. Do rtf people congregate anywhere off campus?

This is the problem, everyone is too busy on insta and tik tok to do any of that. 

• immamac unpinned this topic