Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I just wanna know if i read his assertion correctly: john deere blocked the right to repair if tractors, which points to hp not allowing people to buy printers?

like, disney offered a subscription to a service that it “monitors”. if you pay them a $20/mo, you can watch their catalog, but you have to be connected to the internet, and they know what you watch. the absolute horror. 

HP already said buy our printer use our ink or 3rd party - not as good ink (their words, not actuality)... then they released a firmware that prevented the use of third party ink, have to use HP ink. Now they are offering a subscription service after publically stating on a shareholder call - "Subscription service offers a 20% upside per customer to our bottom line. Our goal to to move 100% to printing as a subscription."  Guess what a future firmware update is going to do..... (to the printer you already own btw)

• Hook 'Em 1

@Parliament

… John Deere signed an agreement with lobbying group the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) promising to allow third-party repairs last month.

Deere noted it might withdraw from the agreement if state or federal legislation passed, which some critics viewed as an attempt to prevent it, per NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/10/1147934682/john-deere-right-to-repair-farmers-tractors

• Hook 'Em 2

First time I ran into this was working with Mercedes  Actros Trucks. We were working with the suppliers for food and medical aid going into Iraq. The distribution company only used Mercedes Actros. As trucks broke down in Iraq, they had to be brought back to Kuwait for maintenance. Well shit, no one on the team could do it in house. There was only 1 authorized dealer in country. So we had to include Mercedes into the team to use their computers and software, which tied us direct to their spare parts inventory.

We went to the UN and asked if we could start utilizing other trucks. Nope, your agreement states Actros, so that is what you are using. Ended up costing a lot more for each trip cutting down into the aid we could move.

• Rage+1 3

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

We went to the UN and asked if we could start utilizing other trucks. Nope, your agreement states Actros, so that is what you are using. Ended up costing a lot more for each trip cutting down into the aid we could move.

Yeah, but just think of the profits that went to the shareholders! They needed those funds more than the folks you were distributing aid to, it's not like they had quarterly sales goals (that they made up) to hit!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

I think I see the problem, amigo...

On contracts you have to ask for modernization. We had to show each mile ran and VIN number. That was why repairs were so important. Shit, we were hauling back trucks hit by IED's and had a brigade of Sri Lankan mechanic to do body work but Germans to do anything electronic.

35 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Deere sells you the hardware (cast iron, tires, pistons, etc.) but retains the software you need for the engine and transmission.

No problem until it’s time to fix it.  Your service guy needs to fix plug his laptop into it and read the problem codes.  Deere got real uppity about who they’d license that software too.  Only wanted their dealers to have it.  Royal might correct me, but I think Deere has walked that back some?  Letting farmers and independent mechanics license the repair software?

It's been walked back, Farm Bureau really latched on to that. It's kind of a weird divide because the guys shelling out for a bunch on new green paint are absolutely not doing anything beyond basic maintenance themselves anyway, but it's the guy running at 8410 and 9660 that's worried he's going to pay for the mega-dealership building if something is beyond him. Also you a bit of this probably has to do with all the stolen RTK receivers and such floating around too.  

14 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I've deleted all social media accounts except Instagram because of the attention whores showing the goods.

Oh, fuck off. Your OF is still up and running and, from what I can see, you're still showing the goods.

Now pucker up and bust out those Sharpies!

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:39 AM, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, I run a team working in New Zealand, Kenya, Spain and DC. We work timezones quite a bit. So it means some days I barely sleep, others I get to fuck off and go to the river. I take a lot of naps during the day though. Wife is just starting to get used to me falling asleep around 5PM for a few hours.

I have people spread out across the globe too. Sometimes I have to deal with shit in India, Japan or Australia and end up burning the midnight oil.

Europe isn't too bad unless I have to deal with corporate on the West coast the same day. That's where I end up starting at 5 AM and finishing up around 7 PM. However, I often get several hours off in between the Euros going offline and the Californians coming back from lunch.

Every now and then I'll take a 5 PM nap until APAC comes online.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Well I went to the O’Reilly Auto Parts website and in the search engine on their site I typed in:

121g

you will thank me later, maybe?

When it is back in stock I am getting the fuck out of here. Seems pretty simple from the instructions they left. O’Reilly Auto Parts is aware of the enshittening. They want to help. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

HP already said buy our printer use our ink or 3rd party - not as good ink (their words, not actuality)... then they released a firmware that prevented the use of third party ink, have to use HP ink. Now they are offering a subscription service after publically stating on a shareholder call - "Subscription service offers a 20% upside per customer to our bottom line. Our goal to to move 100% to printing as a subscription."  Guess what a future firmware update is going to do..... (to the printer you already own btw)

HP didn’t say in this in their previous shareholder call. And they didnt say that in the one prior to that. 

https://s2.q4cdn.com/602190090/files/doc_financials/2024/q1/q1-2024-earnings-call-transcript-28-february-2024.pdf

https://s2.q4cdn.com/602190090/files/doc_earnings/2023/q4/transcript/q423-earnings-transcript-final.pdf

Disclaimer number 9 on the existing HP+ Ink Plus subscription is here - so what *is* future firmware going to do to your existing printer?

1. Change or cancel anytime: Change or cancel your plan at any time online. If you decide to cancel your HP Instant Ink you can go back to using HP original Standard or XL cartridges

By the way, literally every inkjet manufacturer says to use their own ink. My professional grade Epson photo printer says so. Its from 10 years ago. Check yours - it will say the same. For one, its because ink is fussy as fuck. They clog, they bleed, they vaporize, and that is why they void warranty if you use 3rd party ink. And that is same the clause for ALL inkjet printers from ALL manufacturers. 

Beside, you dont have to buy a HP subscription. You dont have to buy an HP printer. Hell, you dont even have to buy an inkjet printer.

In fact, run a search on this website for “printer recommendation”, and you’ll see 9 out of 10 responses suggesting a Brother laser printer. Including from *me*. Run a search on across the web and you’ll see the exact same thing. Thats the choice you have. That is the open market that allows products to compete on their merits and determines whether their subscription idea is good or bad. The company doesnt determine that — the collective consumers determine it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The phone maze to talk to someone. Even if you start saying "Representative" they try to squeeze in more automated language to try to get you to just go online. 

Believe me, if I could do what I want online, I would be doing it instead of dealing with this stupid automated phone system.

One thing I do like though is the service where you can call, record your name and they have your phone number, and they call you when it's your turn to talk to someone rather than wait on hold listening to the same bars of music or the same customer service refrain over and over for an hour.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

One thing I do like though is the service where you can call, record your name and they have your phone number, and they call you when it's your turn to talk to someone rather than wait on hold listening to the same bars of music or the same customer service refrain over and over for an hour.

Yes, that is an improvement. Nothing worse than sitting on the phone, the loop of music ends, giving you hope that it was turned off because someone is picking up and then it starts over again.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Nothing worse than sitting on the phone, the loop of music ends, giving you hope that it was turned off because someone is picking up and then it starts over again.

Its way worse when you are randomly disconnected after waiting for an hour on hold.

Or even worse than that is getting through, explaining the issue, getting put back on hold, then getting transferred, then explaining the issue all over from the start, then getting placed on hold, having someone else pick up, having to provide all the information again, getting told you are being transferred, then getting disconnected.   That's the worst.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Its way worse when you are randomly disconnected after waiting for an hour on hold.

Or even worse than that is getting through, explaining the issue, getting put back on hold, then getting transferred, then explaining the issue all over from the start, then getting placed on hold, having someone else pick up, having to provide all the information again, getting told you are being transferred, then getting disconnected.   That's the worst.

It sounds like you were listening in on my recent call to AT&T.

38 minutes ago, F250 said:
40 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It sounds like you were listening in on my recent call to AT&T.

I was on smoko.

I haven’t read the whole thread so this has likely been covered, but it’s fucking annoying how all the streaming video services try to entice you to use their service when you’re already watching their service. YouTube is probably the worst, with the tiles that appear on screen before you’ve even finished the current video, but I’ve noticed that Apple TV+ shows me trailers for other Apple shows before the show I chose to watch. And you can’t get 5 seconds into the credits before they are thing to get you to click on the next thing. Enough already.

That general vibe seems to be pervasive across the internet experience now, just constantly being marketed and sold to.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Because a $23 coke isnt enough

spacer.png

Ha, I was just flying out of Spokane on American. We missed a flight at the same airport a few years ago because a snow storm caused us to have less than an hour before our flight which they said wasn't enough time for our luggage to make it. So this time, we didn't hit any traffic and got to the airport 3:00hrs early. You apparently can't check in your luggage on American at that airport until 2hrs before your flight. So apparently, you have to check in between 2hrs and 1hr for your flight otherwise you are fucked.

Anyway, we were stuck with our luggage and had already returned the rental car and there was nothing to eat or do except wait an hour in the unpadded chairs in front of ticketing. Finally, we check in and go upstairs to wait the additional 2hrs and in the American terminal there was a Starbucks and a sports bar. We went to the sports bar and had a club sandwich and water - $25 each. So with tax and tip, we spent $60 for 2 crappy sandwiches. And after we had finished our meals and since we were not drinking, we were asked to pay and leave to get other patrons in the door. I looked at my phone. We still had an hour and a half to kill.

Then, our flight was delayed, we missed our connection and ended up getting home at midnight last night just to go back to work this morning. I guess I should be happy that our Boeing didn't fall apart mid-air. I loathe flying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

42 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Nice search results Google. Be a shame if I saw anything that wasn't "Sponsored"

image.thumb.png.462d5af8cb82953e1f6bb8d142a96b07.png

Google is struggling big time. They are seriously in danger of going completely out of business within the next 5 years if they don't find a way to make real revenue outside of search advertisement and plastering ads all over the place. Display advertisement doesn't work and everyone is catching wise to it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, immamac said:

They are seriously in danger of going completely out of business within the next 5 years

I have no counter argument, nor an argument in favor of this theory.  That would be a huge HOLY SHIT moment.  Really hard to overstate the impact that would have on the economy and financial markets.

Just now, Incredulity said:

I have no counter argument, nor an argument in favor of this theory.  That would be a huge HOLY SHIT moment.  Really hard to overstate the impact that would have on the economy and financial markets.

It's all circular spend. it wouldn't have much of an impact, marketing budgets aren't going away, spending those budgets on display advertisement is. Google isn't good at anything else besides display ads, I haven't used google for search in months, it's the same or worse than bing, duckduckgo, pick your search engine. All that is left is their monopolistic and anti-competitive ad moat which is dwindling.

Gemini and google's whole pushing subscriptions down peoples throats to keep using the shit that used to be free isn't backfiring just yet, but as soon as people realize that centralized services are way more expensive and not really any easier to use they will bail on that as well.

Do you know how easy it is to have a near feature parity version of google photos? Home | Immich it's pretty damned easy. It is getting easier with companies like this putting out hardware to make it one push. Umbrel - Personal home cloud and OS for self-hosting

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, immamac said:

It's all circular spend. it wouldn't have much of an impact, marketing budgets aren't going away, spending those budgets on display advertisement is. Google isn't good at anything else besides display ads, I haven't used google for search in months, it's the same or worse than bing, duckduckgo, pick your search engine. All that is left is their monopolistic and anti-competitive ad moat which is dwindling.

Gemini and google's whole pushing subscriptions down peoples throats to keep using the shit that used to be free isn't backfiring just yet, but as soon as people realize that centralized services are way more expensive and not really any easier to use they will bail on that as well.

Whenever google bites the dust, it's going to seriously fuck up the web engineering and online advertising space. It's basically google driving much of that ecosystem and BILLIONS in advertising spending every year.

I don't think it's a bad thing for that to happen, but I also kind of think it already would have happened if we had any sort of decent data privacy laws in the US. Google's (and FB/Meta's) entire business strategy has been unravelling since the EU started enforcing GDPR, and we are seeing the subjective quality of ads and services dropping because the platform providers can't do (as effectively) what they were doing before in terms of microtargeting.

Do you know how easy it is to have a near feature parity version of google photos? Home | Immich it's pretty damned easy. It is getting easier with companies like this putting out hardware to make it one push. Umbrel - Personal home cloud and OS for self-hosting

And while I 100% agree that you're usually better off rolling your own version of a thing.... Bruh. Most people can't even work a damn Chromecast, much less set up and maintain an in-home server. Even with that Umbrel product (which does look really nice, gonna have to look into one of those....) it's still on the end user to actually install, configure, and administer those application on their box. Hell if it were between buying a family member one of those, or just paying for a google photos subscription for literally the rest of their life, I would go with the subscription lol.

Fuck being family tech support

edit: it does seem like the Umbrel is pretty overpriced for what you get though, I found similarly specced boxes on Amazon and AliExpress for like $200

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Whenever google bites the dust, it's going to seriously fuck up the web engineering and online advertising space. It's basically google driving much of that ecosystem and BILLIONS in advertising spending every year.

I don't think it's a bad thing for that to happen, but I also kind of think it already would have happened if we had any sort of decent data privacy laws in the US. Google's (and FB/Meta's) entire business strategy has been unravelling since the EU started enforcing GDPR, and we are seeing the subjective quality of ads and services dropping because the platform providers can't do (as effectively) what they were doing before in terms of microtargeting.

And while I 100% agree that you're usually better off rolling your own version of a thing.... Bruh. Most people can't even work a damn Chromecast, much less set up and maintain an in-home server. Even with that Umbrel product (which does look really nice, gonna have to look into one of those....) it's still on the end user to actually install, configure, and administer those application on their box. Hell if it were between buying a family member one of those, or just paying for a google photos subscription for literally the rest of their life, I would go with the subscription lol.

edit: it does seem like the Umbrel is pretty overpriced for what you get though, I found similarly specced boxes on Amazon and AliExpress for like $200

Why would you buy from AliExpress? Oh, yeah, this is the great enshittening thread.

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Why would you buy from AliExpress? Oh, yeah, this is the great enshittening thread.

When you want to subvert late-stage capitalism because you’re poor, but you’re still greedy and consumerist…

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't buy stuff from Ali Express, I more meant to make the point of the ubiquity of devices at a price point less than half of the Umbrel with the same specs

34 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

When you want to subvert late-stage capitalism because you’re poor, but you’re still greedy and consumerist…

1) I'm not poor lol, ask Phil and Thad if you don't believe me

2) There is no ethical capitalism, so sure you got me on that one I guess?

3) It's possible to give a shit about wealth inequality and enshittification without being poor. I understand that this is a foreign concept to you, and that's ok. 

Edited by Captainant

49 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Is Google not making any money with YT/YTTV/GCP?

the theory of google going away soon….sounds good; doesnt work. 

from 2019 to 2023, search ad revenue went from 100B to 205B. yt ads 20B to 31B. yttv (and other subs and businesses) 21B to 33B. cloud 13B to 35B.  

search was the biggest gainer (2x) after cloud (3x).  but in profitability, search has an insane 50% operating profit.  all the other businesses, including cloud, run at a loss!

cost per impression — or how much they charge for ads — remain constant, ie its been as effective for advertisers over time.  so search continues to print cash and its not going to change anytime soon.

7 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

Airports are one of the worst places on earth.  Lounge access makes marginal difference to the experience at best.  Fucking hate it with a passion.

imo the flying experience has gotten better. 10-15 years ago, you can pay for the best seat on the plane and half the time it was a recliner. now, flat beds everywhere, some even ensconced in secluded pods. on united xcont “premium service”…they still had to bring you a personal media player device! i instead brought along ipod and laptop full of movies. nowadays i get by with gigantic IFE selection available on every carrier. 

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Umbrel is overpriced if you know what you are doing. It’s the perfect price for buying for the non savvy. It’s also plug and play, the app installs are plug and play too. It also supports upnp and traefik out of the box. They also have tech support which means you are off the hook. 

you can get an N100 with 8GB of RAM for sub 150 all day on Amazon and not even have to do Ali express. The ssd that comes in the umbrel isn’t a bullshit Chinese piece of shit qlc drive though. 

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

the theory of google going away soon….sounds good; doesnt work. 

from 2019 to 2023, search ad revenue went from 100B to 205B. yt ads 20B to 31B. yttv (and other subs and businesses) 21B to 33B. cloud 13B to 35B.  

search was the biggest gainer (2x) after cloud (3x).  but in profitability, search has an insane 50% operating profit.  all the other businesses, including cloud, run at a loss!

cost per impression — or how much they charge for ads — remain constant, ie its been as effective for advertisers over time.  so search continues to print cash and its not going to change anytime soon.

imo the flying experience has gotten better. 10-15 years ago, you can pay for the best seat on the plane and half the time it was a recliner. now, flat beds everywhere, some even ensconced in secluded pods. on united xcont “premium service”…they still had to bring you a personal media player device! i instead brought along ipod and laptop full of movies. nowadays i get by with gigantic IFE selection available on every carrier. 

Googles search business is a behemoth and it’s ready to implode because it does in fact not work. Also their margins are because they own literally all the inventory and CPM payouts are in the absolute shitter and content providers are just too stupid to say nah fuck you have your dead inventory. 

google also routinely sells trash inventory and has been caught running ads nowhere and burning their customers money, yet people still buy from them. It’s actually crazy.