2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

1 hour ago, swraith said:

I'm fine with some actual winter weather but I don't want to see anything approaching Winter Storm Uri.  I'm not ready for that shitstorm again.  

Winter storm names are so enraging.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

However, an SSW event does tend to weaken the polar vortex and increase the odds that colder air could emerge from the polar regions at times in a few weeks. That does not necessarily mean a repeat of February 2021 (Uri). These types of situations occur several times a decade and most do not produce historic cold air like we saw in that event. But they can produce some of the coldest air of a given winter.

Breaking news:  it might get colder before the next blast furnace.

55 minutes ago, swraith said:

Sure ok.  To each their own. 

Winter storms knocking the Texas power grid offline for days is enraging.

And 5 people at TWC and 3 people on surly remember that name.   We all remember what year it was.  

• Like 1

I'll take a winter storm over a hurricane any fucking day.

ran/ wintry mix on the High Plains tonight. 'bout 33 degrees.

Let's go...

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Winter storm. Be prepared. Make a ton of soup a few days before, get your grill ready, and be smart. No reason to go out, etc. more risk of a moron who cannot drive on ice taking you out.

Thanks Frankie. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

He should've stuck with the original version of that old joke:

What's the only thing separating Amarillo from the North Pole? A barbed wire fence.

You forgot the last part -- "and two strands of that are down."

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

C’mon snow (in my area)

Pato, shot you a PM on something unrelated (just wanted to grab your attention).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Sat Jan 13

icon-all-tx-apparent_temperature_f-5104000.thumb.png.858cb67452ab99187b36742836dd4dbc.png

That forecast of -26 in Perryton up in the Panhandle would be three degrees below the record for Texas.

The all-time record low temperature that was established at Tulia was tied years later when Seminole, in Gaines County in West Texas, reported a temperature of 23 degrees below zero on February 8, 1933.

https://www.weather.gov/maf/The_Coldest_Night_in_Texas

25 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Crap, we have a backpacking trip planned for the Ozarks in NWA next weekend.  Looks like we may be changing those plans right soon.

I say go for it. What’s the worse that could happen?

Coming On My Way GIF by Pudgy Penguins

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I say go for it. What’s the worse that could happen?

Coming On My Way GIF by Pudgy Penguins

image.png.587d635c274e72ec3320bf78a8371a39.png

that's NWA windchills on Saturday.  I've camped in mid to upper 20s and have gear for that, but single digits?  F that.

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

image.png.587d635c274e72ec3320bf78a8371a39.png

that's NWA windchills on Saturday.  I've camped in mid to upper 20s and have gear for that, but single digits?  F that.

Username does not check out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

So guess I am making chicken stew nexton Friday. Maybe some dumplings. Stack up the fire wood and get the sleeping bags out. Glad I have a few dogs that like lying on the couch.

And I’ll turn on the gas fireplace so when the grid goes down I can leave it on for six days like I’ve done two of the past three years and not freeze to death. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, the weather nerds are starting to sound the alarm about massive cold blast starting Friday in North Texas severity TBD but potentially bad.  Fucking Great.

Still...there seems to be some instability going on with the polar vortex again, but most are saying it's still too early to call exactly what will happen and how far south it will go.  Being a student of 2021, I've already got my pipes double-wrapped and have the thermal covers ready to go....just in case.

This is the time to place your bets...is there a Vegas line on this??  lol...

Seems to be a consensus that it will be cold in Dallas area. Just a matter of how cold, how long, and whether or not the precipitation will drop further south with it.  And then for the rest of the state, how far down the cold will drop.   Not seeing much from the local channel meteorologists yet but guessing this will be the big story by tomorrow night.    I just went and double checked we were good on faucet covers etc. and didn't need to make a run this afternoon.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:34 PM, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Some of y’all must lurk on storm2k

There are some knowledgeable folks on there but man, the wish casting gets crazy every time a long range model suggests super cold or frozen precip.

• Hook 'Em 1

Steady light rain in Houston all morning, and supposed to hit mid 70's at some point, but things about to change quick. Heavy storms and strong winds gonna start popping off around 4:00 and should drop temps a good 25 degrees overnight. 

Been a very mild Winter so far. Took the dogs out for a walk in some nice Spring-like weather yesterday morning and wife and I noticed how vibrantly green everything still is and how full the trees all are. I imagine that will change pretty soon with the expected arrival of that strong cold front on Sunday. Current forecast doesn't have us getting us much of a hard freeze as most of the rest of the state, but still looks like we'll spend at least a few hours in the high 20's early next Monday morning.