2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

8 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Wunderground showing a low of 21 degrees here in Austin one week from today.

Yep.  The model runs are starting to firm towards the colder side.  Was showing a high of 42/low 18 here in Waco for next monday, now showing 38/16.  

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Wunderground showing a low of 21 degrees here in Austin one week from today.

Yeah, the sports dorks on The Horn were talking low of 24 and precip, but they didn't know if those aligned.  7 days out, it probably doesn't matter much.

Note to self:  check the propane tank

Did the boy thank you?

Also, New Orleans was expecting the possibility of massive flooding from a thunderstorm that just went through. It turns out someone had stolen the copper from the big drain pumps in the ninth ward that drain our city ‘s most under sea level parts.   We missed the storm mostly.  much overtime was put in and the pumps are working now that we don’t need them.   Capitalism is not dead folks.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

So, around 7:45, NW hills area, went outside to help the boy bring in groceries, and we got pelted by a spate of ice. Small hail? Sleet? WTF? Lasted 3-4 minutes at most, never heavy.
We got sleet or hail for about 30 seconds in 78728.

Heard a noise out back about 9ish and didn’t think anything of it. Let the dog out about ten minutes ago and noticed a ~20-25 foot tall legustrum blown over into the back yard. Luckily no damage to anything but a few strands of string lights. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah that precip last night was strange.  It wasn't hail.  It wasn't sleet.  Whatever it was, it scared Mack Brown to death.  Only lasted a few minutes.

Wind was angry this morning my friends, like an old man sending back soup at a deli.  

The birds are chirping much earlier than usual, either indicating it's subsiding and they want one another to know they're all okay.  Or there's a fucking tornado coming.  Could go either way...

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, around 7:45, NW hills area, went outside to help the boy bring in groceries, and we got pelted by a spate of ice. Small hail? Sleet? WTF? Lasted 3-4 minutes at most, never heavy.

10 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Same.

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

We got sleet or hail for about 30 seconds in 78728.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah that precip last night was strange.  It wasn't hail.  It wasn't sleet. 

Graupel

https://fox40.com/weather/graupel-vs-hail-what-is-the-difference-between-the-two/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

'His wife is on the way.' 

50/50 that dude is still there.

“I’m gonna pop into TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods/Target/Crate and Barrel real quick, but I’ll be right there!

8 hours later….

Alfred Hitchcock Skull GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

“I’m gonna pop into TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods/Target/Crate and Barrel real quick, but I’ll be right there!

8 hours later….

Alfred Hitchcock Skull GIF

“I had it in 4 and then it started smoking.  I couldn’t hear anything because of the music” 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So forecast has Austin down to 17 next week, and around 36 hours of freezing or near-freezing weather.  My first thought is will the power hold up.

Yes, it’ll be fine 

Power banks are charged. Wife just went to HEB to get key items to make a few stews on Saturday. Have steaks for the grill and plenty of wood and charcoal. Plants will come in on Sunday morning. I know where my sleeping bags are. Only concern is losing power for a long time. I live on a street with lots of mature trees, some not looking so good, so any ice and we will lose power. Oh that and fuckers who feel they have to keep their house at 85 and cannot put on a sweater.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So forecast has Austin down to 17 next week, and around 36 hours of freezing or near-freezing weather.  My first thought is will the power hold up.

we’ve already been warned to expect power failures 

• Rage+1 1

Anywhere ERCOT provides electricity.  

I need to circulate my tankless water heater before the freeze to make sure the showers still work for the kids upstairs.  Thankfully, my utterly corrupt political neighbor a couple blocks over had our HOA put onto an "emergency circuit" so we don't lose power during extreme hot/cold.  But an errant tree limb  can always put a stop to that and right quick.  I pruned everything I could and have Austin Energy taking care of the taller limbs so at least it won't be my fault when some elderly person a few blocks over dies.