Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again

StassneyHorn

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There is no declaration of war. There is no statutory authorization. There is no national emergency here. This latter is self-evident by the WH's own statement And have no doubt — we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner our choosing. 

Look, I don't like the fact that we have troops stationed in Qatar, Iraq, Syria, on the Iraq/Syria borders in Jordan, UAE, etc. But we do. They threw something at us, we need to throw something back. The response should be targeted, appropriately weighted, and leave a mark. And it should also be authorized as appropriate by congress. This is not a national emergency situation. To argue such is completely divorced from reality, so right on the mark for American ME policy generally.

This appears to be dragging out, so maybe they are trying to navigate how to save face without triggering outright escalation, or maybe they are running things through the appropriate process. Either way, hopefully there is a signal there and we can avoid escalation.     

bombing of enemy targets happens weekly, no need to showboat over 3 deaths. 

56 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The response should be targeted, appropriately weighted, and leave a mark. And it should also be authorized as appropriate by congress.

Sounds great, and I would agree, but too many Republicans in Congress have made it publicly known that their actions/votes in Congress are framed not as “will this help America” or “is this the right thing to do” but “will this help Joe Biden” or “will this hurt Trump”.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sounds great, and I would agree, but too many Republicans in Congress have made it publicly known that their actions/votes in Congress are framed not as “will this help America” or “is this the right thing to do” but “will this help Joe Biden” or “will this hurt Trump”.

Abdicating their constitutional role in terms of authorizing military actions benefits congresspeople from both parties. The welcome the consolidation of the power to the executive branch cause they prefer to not be on record with a vote that could be used against them during campaigns. I am not sure that the GOP members are going to be a major barrier to clear when it comes to bombing Iran, though. 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:07 AM, Anastasis said:

Some of y’all should legit be committed. 

Adherence to this political system is a mental illness. Enjoy the forced choice between two senile geriatrics. Best we can do. Over and over again. Our politics fail us, until we decide differently. 

Putin-boy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m rejecting this system that you all say is so decent. I’m writing in a candidate, and that candidate is “Jennifer Connelly as she appeared in “The Rocketeer” and who is also the same type of libertarian as me.” I will never compromise my beliefs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Abdicating their constitutional role in terms of authorizing military actions benefits congresspeople from both parties. The welcome the consolidation of the power to the executive branch cause they prefer to not be on record with a vote that could be used against them during campaigns. I am not sure that the GOP members are going to be a major barrier to clear when it comes to bombing Iran, though. 

Or we could, you know, just retaliate.  

Why do you get to decide what is and is not a national emergency? Three soldiers were killed on American soil by a foreign entity. That needs to be dealt with swiftly before it becomes an all out war. I’d say avoiding another all out war IS an emergency.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Why do you get to decide what is and is not a national emergency? Three soldiers were killed on American soil by a foreign entity. That needs to be dealt with swiftly before it becomes an all out war. I’d say avoiding another all out war IS an emergency.

Words have meaning. If the WH itself says we will respond at the time of our choosing, it is by definition not an emergency situation. If there is time to get the matter in front of congress, it should follow the appropriate constitutional process.  

Edited by Anastasis

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I look forward to leftists on twitter ignoring this one, too.

Biden has found ways to forgive billions in student loans. With a B. And even with those he's fighting conservatives because they are taking him to court AND taxing the individuals for receiving a govt benefit. But it's true that he cannot forgive as much as he wants.

I do find fault with him that I never hear him go after the real culprit: rising college costs. He might say that we need to make school more affordable but I haven't seen him do anything. I'm sure there is plenty of Biden support in higher education so it's not easy to go after their money.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Biden has found ways to forgive billions in student loans. With a B. And even with those he's fighting conservatives because they are taking him to court AND taxing the individuals for receiving a govt benefit. But it's true that he cannot forgive as much as he wants.

I do find fault with him that I never hear him go after the real culprit: rising college costs. He might say that we need to make school more affordable but I haven't seen him do anything. I'm sure there is plenty of Biden support in higher education so it's not easy to go after their money.

Not the root cause (tuition) but he’s trying 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2024/01/10/college-tuition-junk-fee-regulations/72163465007/#:~:text=President Biden wants to cut,financial buck on to students.&text=The Biden administration is considering,such as food and textbooks.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Words have meaning. If the WH itself says we will respond at the time of our choosing, it is by definition not an emergency situation. If there is time to get the matter in front of congress, it should follow the appropriate constitutional process.  

We don't do declarations of War with Congress anymore, you're a smart cat who should know that.  We didn't even declare war after 9/11 and NATO still invoked Article 5.  It's not a convenient coincidence that we discharged the charade of Congressional War Authorization after Korea when television became ubiquitous.  Run Silent, Run Deep.  We are operating in multiple venues every single day of the year with no oversight and more importantly, no reporting.  The shit we are doing in Ukraine is an absolute masterclass that will be revered for decades.  What's already been happening in Iran and Gaza and Yemen was sculpted months ago and we will never know the half of it.  But I'm sure Trump has yuge opinions on it all...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We don't do declarations of War with Congress anymore, you're a smart cat who should know that.  We didn't even declare war after 9/11 and NATO still invoked Article 5.  It's not a convenient coincidence that we discharged the charade of Congressional War Authorization after Korea when television became ubiquitous. 

Afghanistan and Iraq had AUMFs, approved by Congress. Now I think that the 2001 AUMF has been overly applied and should be repealed at this point, but that is a different discussion. The problem is not specific to the Biden administration, it has spanned multiple administrations and reflects a systematic consolidation of power to the executive branch, which Congress is happy to continue enabling.

Well yeah, but the AUMF is largely unconstitutional.  Fuck, even Alberto Gonzalez admitted it.  They enable it, as you pointed out, precisely because of the monetary gain to those they represent and get lobbying dollars from.  We're under less external threat than almost any other era in a 75 years.  Money gotta come from somewhere.  And as you say, both parties are ridiculously guilty of over-empowering the Executive Branch.  Which is a fucking crime that our children will pay for dearly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Now I think that the 2001 AUMF has been overly applied and should be repealed at this point

At this point, shit it never should have happened in the first place

I didn't realize it until I just looked it up, but both the 2001 and 2002 AUMFs are still active. For some reason I thought that 2002 (Iraq) had already been shut down.  

Edited by Anastasis

On 1/30/2024 at 8:25 AM, cactusflinthead said:

It's not like they're hiding it.

Is parody not allowed? Do I really have to give away the joke before it's told?

PresidAnt Biden should give it away if you ignored the "Parody by Rub" byline and Can 29 for the date

Job report out due tomorrow. Either way it goes is a win. It’s always a win. With revisions, still a win. 

How will you be celebrating the 14 million jobs created, with the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years, rising wages and all time stock market highs? 

Im gonna mix one cranberry Mikes harder lemonade with an original Mikes harder lemonade, and hit on the 50 year olds at the pool.

The ONLY way to celebrate the greatest economy the developed world has ever seen.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Annual inflation 3.4%

Unemployment 3.7%

Stock market at all time highs

This sucks.

The GOP will be telling voters to not look at their paycheck or brokerage statements. Instead eggs are more expensive than they were in 2017. #1 issue.

seriously with the GOP not being able to run on the economy, they will continue to focus on immigration. Be prepared for them to find a young, pretty blonde woman killed by an immigrant with a dark complexion. Her mother and father will be on the GOP convention stage with Trump.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The GOP will be telling voters to not look at their paycheck or brokerage statements. Instead eggs are more expensive than they were in 2017. #1 issue.

seriously with the GOP not being able to run on the economy, they will continue to focus on immigration. Be prepared for them to find a young, pretty blonde woman killed by an immigrant with a dark complexion. Her mother and father will be on the GOP convention stage with Trump.

Or just cast actors and say it’s a true story. Their sheep won’t question it 

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump 2024: Um, Taylor Swift? Elmo, or something? 

This should be a layup for the dems. Things are generally humming along and the Rs are going to be running a convicted felon. I look forward to watching the ways they screw it up. 

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This should be a layup for the dems. 

2016 looked like a layup too.

Run up the score to guarantee victory. Biden wants to reform border security but the House isn't letting him. Do it anyway. Is the House going to sue Biden for increasing security without full authorization. Biden needs to get border crossings below Trump admin levels and then highlight it.

Take away every issue that has even the slightest legitimacy. And ask Americans if they are personally better off today than 4 years ago.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Something happened around the vertical line:

image.png.92d93eacedf66890b1f903d944efd2f5.png

the election was stolen from Trump, leading to his secret, shadow govt that has led to the greatest prosperity for everyone?*

* except for anything negative. That's Joe's fault.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the election was stolen from Trump, leading to his secret, shadow govt that has led to the greatest prosperity for everyone?*

* except for anything negative. That's Joe's fault.

On one of those Jordan Klepper type shows where they talk with Dotard fans, one of them said there are currently two governments. One is the Trump one and is responsible for everything awesome. The other one is the Biden government, and it's responsible for everything shitty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

On one of those Jordan Klepper type shows where they talk with Dotard fans, one of them said there are currently two governments. One is the Trump one and is responsible for everything awesome. The other one is the Biden government, and it's responsible for everything shitty. 

As a wacky as Trump is, he definitely gets his message out to his core followers. Some even run ahead of his crazy statements by coming up with crazier ideas. Very remarkable.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's very funny to read conservatives still pretending as if the New York Times and Washington Post are super politically liberal publications when they're both pretty much openly rooting for Trump.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

It's very funny to read conservatives still pretending as if the New York Times and Washington Post are super politically liberal publications when they're both pretty much openly rooting for Trump.  

Don’t forget CNN

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again