CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. Thats what lost the game. Our failures on offense in the 1st half cost us

I'm pretty sure it was all the many failures on defense that costed the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

The fact Washington ran the ball 2 more times than us is where the true offensive shitshow was

The defense lost the game though by never getting home and being lost in the secondary

Sark needs to prioritize the success of Texas football of the love of his genius script.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

I'm pretty sure it was all the many failures on defense that costed the game.

Yeah. We have DBs who can turn around and make plays on the ball in the air on those long passes...and maybe things are different.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, staboner said:

sark blew it both in prep and the last 4 tries. very clearly we had nothing there to work with. 4 throws and only one anywhere near where it was supposed to be. QB needed to pick it up and was just lost. dude has moments, love him, but he gets tecmo bowl lost somethings with happy feet and just doesn't seem to feel the game.

other QB was balls. their receivers are ok, but IMO not nearly as good as the throws they get. anyone other than penix and we win i think. huge gift with the injury to their RB. huge gift. and we shit the bed. i for sure thought we would have some crazy slants/crossing patterns in the middle of the field/goal line to end it, not a HB toss and whatever other stupidity we tossed out. still in total shock at those last 4 calls. just fucking shocking how bad that went. toss an INT man, fuck it, you have to actually throw INTO THE ENDZONE to score 🤬

Go back and look at our throws across the middle earlier in the game. Not clean. 

That swing to Bijan or Brooks looks different, but they're not here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That flare to the back shouldn't have even been an option and certainly not after a toss fake that wastes 2 seconds for no reason. Ewers has his share of the blame for sure but that call was dumb. 

If it isn't covered, Blue walks into the endzone. If he gets the corner, he still gets very close. That was one of many great plays by Ulofoshio.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Ewers didn’t have the luxury to know to throw that last ball lower. He’s under pressure and throwing to a spot before Mitchell is set. Probably trying to throw a fade. Seems obvious in hindsight but not quite that simple in live fire.

Yes. Our OL gave less than acceptable protection this game. On the other hand, Ewers doesn't handle it that well most of the time. I don't think I'd call it his fault on that series of plays though. His pocket presence is a work in progress, that's for sure.

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Everybody is blaming it on Sarkisian but Ewers is the one who decides who to throw to.  Other than the WTF call to Jaden the other passes were decisions by Ewers. He didn't have to throw those fade routes. Especially with as poorly timed as they were.

This.  Quinn failed sark multiple multiple times

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, troph said:

Defense played well enough to win honestly. Not great but two turnovers and some three and outs fucked us.  Texas shoulda been able to hang 45 on WA.

Amazingly, Texas almost pulled it out. 

Just got back to hotel.  I am not reading the rest of this thread.  We lost because…..

- We put it on ground twice.  We do it just once and we win, I think. 
- Sark thought he had possessions to fuck around on in first half. Then he shat bed once we had chance to win at end.  
- Sweat was held throughout the game with no calls.  Absolutely infuriating.  

We were never stopping that passing game.  But we could have kept it away from them more effectively.  

they are going to smoke Michigan.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I’m not even mad, we almost stole a game we had no business winning.

Great season. Sark has the team headed in the right direction, secondary just isn’t there yet. Kudos to Penix, he’s the real deal.

18 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

FUCK. Love this team. Didn’t really deserve to be in it in the end but I’ll remember this season fondly.

15 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

We didn’t quit. Future is bright

We all would have taken a top 5 finish at the start of the year

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

they proved they belonged in this game. they still make too many mistakes but they don't quit.

great season, good ending. it was quite fun...which has been excruciatingly rare the last 13 years. 🤘

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It sucks losing this one, but everything is on an upward trend in Austin.    We really did defy most of the so called experts and got to this stage.   We should take some inspiration from Michigan and see how they bounced back this playoff after being humiliated by fricking TCU last year.    That didn’t happen to us.    

We should be back in the expanded playoff next season.     We will have a favorable first SEC season schedule.     We will have an excellent chance to go into Ana Arbor and get a signature win early.   

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Props to the team for fighting till the end in a game where nothing was going our way.  Sark called some great plays and some wtf ones.  I feel like we would have run some better stuff to at least give us a chance to make a play on the ball.  This season was 1 play away from playing in the national championship.  We will build on this.  The culture is in place now.  We’re out of the dumps fellas.  Enjoy the ride and Hook ‘em.

All of these.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

If you've got a right armed passer, you want that ball on the left hash mark. That fucking swing to Blue, on the short side of the field no less, was a jackass call

That swing pass, if you want to call it, should have been to the left to allow Blue room to outrun the pursuit.

11 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Ewers didn’t have the luxury to know to throw that last ball lower. He’s under pressure and throwing to a spot before Mitchell is set. Probably trying to throw a fade. Seems obvious in hindsight but not quite that simple in live fire.

I'll accept that, but I always thought back shoulder from the lineup. Make the DB play through and force dpi if he breaks up the play. 

1 minute ago, Slacks said:

Never getting that. I wouldn't even want it. 

yeah, plenty of other shit to bitch about for the refs.  that wasn't DPI.

the picked up flag was huge.  would have 1st and 20 and a real chance to stop them.  the "hold" on whittington cost us points as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

One play away from the title game with a shitty secondary, most over rated oline ever, running backs that just aren't that good, terrible blitzers  and no edge rushers is pretty amazing.

Ya, we blitz like pussies for some reason. I didn't see an RB get destroyed all year on blitz pickup. Hopefully that kid coming in from UTSA can get some pressure off the edge. 

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we needed another 20 seconds.  get a first and 4 shots from the 3.

I think this is what sark wanted with the first down play, steal 6-8 yards. 3 plays from the 4-6 yard line. 

everyone hates it, I don’t hate it. 

I do think the last needed to be a come back. 

I wonder if the fade was called (pass up) to avoid a blocked pass. 

finally, fuck prevent D. WA brought decent pressure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vandergriff said:

The swing pass to Blue on the short side of the field was one if the worst calls I've ever seen.  What in the hell was Sark thinking there?  What an absurdly stupid call in that situation.

Only thing I can think of was they had noticed some tendency that they thought they could exploit. But the pass was so immediate there was never a second for the defense to vacate the spot even if it would have worked. This is my most charitable read. 

Great fucking season! This stings because we played like shit (mostly) and still had a chance to win. Proud of our team! 🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽 Oh - and that’s difference b/t a QB that’s played in college for 6 yrs and one that hasn’t completed a full healthy season. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. Thats what lost the game. Our failures on offense in the 1st half cost us

Uh, it was evident early that the secondary was not going to stop the Washington passing attack. Penix had almost 300 yards passing in the first half but Sark not running the ball a couple more times cost us the game? The fact that we were tied at 21 was almost a miracle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m only really mad at the defensive game plan. Penix was going to get 300+ no matter what. We needed to play aggressive for 4 quarters and not expect a 4 man rush to get anywhere near the QB against an OL that gave up 11 sacks all year. Just an atrocious game plan that, when we ditched it because we had to be aggressive, unsurprisingly good things started happening.

i don’t know how PK could have coached this team through the UH, KSU and TCU games and still run that plan out there.

When we were passive this year we failed. We were mostly passive for 3 quarters tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Slacks said:

These cats have been coached on this their whole life as RB. 

Blue has fumbled s close to the goal line more than once. 

Normally I'd call it Coaching, but that's him. 

Baxter, iirc, was falling backwards. 

No. I don't agree. If Sark demanded it, it would be done. It's not rocket science. Sark says, you get what you emphasize. Yeah, that's part of it. But you can also make it mandatory by benching their ass. If you demand they wrap the ball up, they'd do it, or not play. It don't make a fuck if you're falling backwards. You always switch the ball to the off-side arm tucked when running free and when contact or heavy traffic is imminent, you wrap the ball with both arms tight BEFORE contact. You always do it when running between the tackles until you're free to the second level and have some space. Not much speed is sacrificed there and then turn it on when you have some breathing room.

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Alabama - 3 penalties

Michigan - 2 penalties

Washington - 5 penalties

Texas - 10 penalties

4 of our penalties were completely made up.  including the illegal shift.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, plenty of other shit to bitch about for the refs.  that wasn't DPI.

the picked up flag was huge.  would have 1st and 20 and a real chance to stop them.  the "hold" on whittington cost us points as well.

It technically was DPI it wasn’t bumping and fighting for the ball, he had one hand interfering. I get the no call but you get called for that there is no complaining. Wa took a chance and got away with it. I’m not whining but it was DPI.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Levi said:

Uh, it was evident early that the secondary was not going to stop the Washington passing attack. Penix had almost 300 yards passing in the first half but Sark not running the ball a couple more times cost us the game? The fact that we were tied at 21 was almost a miracle. 

We should have been running the ball and controlling the clock. Help your defense out some and keep them off the field. Especially when you’re getting 9 a touch. 
The defense was terrible but Sark absolutely shit the bed for two full quarters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, WalmartTexasFans said:

Only thing I can think of was they had noticed some tendency that they thought they could exploit. But the pass was so immediate there was never a second for the defense to vacate the spot even if it would have worked. This is my most charitable read. 

The play does what it’s supposed to do short slants, short out routes, the fade (ha) and more are available from the 4-6 yard line. Blue gets the 6-8 yards and even if we only have two shots at a TD then sark is a genius because pressure becomes less of a concern with a quicker pass.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

I’m only really mad at the defensive game plan. Penix was going to get 300+ no matter what. We needed to play aggressive for 4 quarters and not expect a 4 man rush to get anywhere near the QB against an OL that gave up 11 sacks all year. Just an atrocious game plan that, when we ditched it because we had to be aggressive, unsurprisingly good things started happening.

i don’t know how PK could have coached this team through the UH, KSU and TCU games and still run that plan out there.

When we were passive this year we failed. We were mostly passive for 3 quarters tonight. 

We blitzed people all night, we just suck at it

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, staboner said:

other QB was balls. their receivers are ok, but IMO not nearly as good as the throws they get.  🤬

This is dumb. Odunze would be the 1st WR off the board this year but for MHJr. Their other WRs and TEs all ran great routes and are very sure handed. Not to take anything away from Penix but the reason he was able so slice is up was because of the separation and space his receivers were getting. They are well coached but also have a lot of talent in their WR room.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac unpinned this topic