Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

I guess I'm too late to say this now, but DeBoer makes the least sense.  He has no recruiting ties to the southeast nor any staff connections that do.  He'd need a lot of help to get up and running and a lot of help to hire the people who could make that happen.

There's validity there, but you can fix a lot of that with your staff. 

29 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

I can tell you who I would not want to see in Tuscaloosa, that is Chris Klieman. Those resources, game over man, but they wouldn’t consider him

Lance Leipold would be a better choice than Klieman if you want to go that route.

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have no doubt that played a role. But I do believe to an extent what he was getting at: that he’s doing the team and his job a disservice if he can’t burn the midnight oil like he was able to in years past and said it was a grind and a strain this year especially. He mentioned health but nothing specific but was quick to mention his wife is fine. Sounds like also they wanted a 2-3 years more commitment and he knew he couldn’t do it physically and mentally. Then you have UT and OU coming in, NIL and portal, realignment and expectations of the fans and his expectations of himself that he can’t live up to. He couldn’t commit for 2-3 more years he said so I wonder if 1 more year was also too much. Better to go out in the final four almost winning that one I guess than uncertainty for 2024 which would be just as hard if not harder than 2023 was for him. 

Clearly scared shitless of competing against THE ELK!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rhinotx said:

Obviously I want Texas to win every year but them hiring Jimbo and him winning a Championship there would be hilarious. Some of the cult might start to realize that they are the problem.   

tenor (8).gif

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

Rain in Seattle annually is close to Houston’s.  Half the winter days are clear/sunny

I don't know which Seattle you're talking about, but it's definitely not the one I lived in for six winters.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry if already broached, but I was listening to Russillo this morning and he asked the question "Is Alabama "Alabama" without Nick Saban?"  They have a ton of resources, obv, but I think there is some merit to that question given the lack of success (outside one Stallings year) between Bear and Saban. 

I agree with those upthread that NIL is going to favor teams in or near big cities.  There is just more opportunity beyond the alumni-base for kids to get paid. If Caleb Williams was playing at OU still, does he get the Wendy's or Dr. Pepper deals?  So I think there is merit to almost anyone Bama is talking to saying, "Nah, I'm good," to the point where this may go on a while, or at very least, result in a surprise hire that isn't going to make the fans too happy.  I don't think I take that job if I am anyon of the guys that are in the mix now.  Kiffin would take it, but they aren't hiring Kiffin given the way he exited.  I wonder if they'll go after Drink at Mizzou?

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

Rain in Seattle annually is close to Houston’s.  Half the winter days are clear/sunny, and 95%of  the summer.  The weather her kicks Texas’ ass.  This based on a lifetime of experience.

Seattle has like 45 minutes of sunlight during the winter. And even if it's not raining, every day has thick fog, even if it sometimes clears up.

There's a reason University of Washington has the highest suicide rate in the country. Yours sounds like a life wasted.

Deboer , Lanning, Sark , Kiffin have built solid programs but are any willing to follow a legend 

Drink and Mark Stoops are interesting, but they also coach at programs that have low expectation

Elko would be hilarious for the melt , clearly willing and interested in dealing with crazy 

I still think Ryan Day is a wild card, he's already dealing with a bunch of ungratefuls at Ohio State, and staring at a staff rebuild. Timing would be too fucking perfect 

Klieman and Leipold would be solid A+ hires 

Also wouldn't be surprised to see a rental like a Gary Patterson or Bob Stoops show up while they do a longer search or some NFL HC 

20 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Finebaum saying he’s not in on Dabo. Yesterday’s news. Played the tiny protest at the statue with students shouting “anyone but Dabo.” Said his train has passed. He would like to see Sark or DeBoer.

I think its funny that dick with ears thinks anyone gives a shit about his thoughts on who should be coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Visited Bainbridge back in late September.  Beautiful place.  It was raining.

Literally the only time I've ever seen it not rain in all my time in Washington, was when I would go up Mt. Rainier above the rain.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

5 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Also wouldn't be surprised to see a rental like a Gary Patterson or Bob Stoops show up while they do a longer search or some NFL HC 

Caretaker coach makes a lot of sense.  Not to the fans, obviously.  Personally if bama has to wander the desert for a decade or two that is perfectly fine.

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That dude has the best fucking job in the world.  Seriously.

Ain't that the truth. Every single one of his top coaches are getting a raise out of this and one of them is going to be the next Bama coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I think it’s funny that dick with ears thinks anyone gives a shit about his thoughts on who should be coach. 

I must be overtaken by some type of flu or something because Paul is growing on me a bit. I mean not so much I’d drown him in town lake but I’d push him in a fountain. If he’d cut the crazy ass callers he has a good program—like the reporters and such he talks to regularly. Those are good interviews. It’s the fan callers. I can’t take them. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah it’s been studied that a championship or championships in those 2 sports increases applications in the short-term. But when you win 6 in 12 years, it’s like a rolling window that stays open 

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

It is well known in higher ed that a good sports program in one of the big 2 (football, men’s basketball) can lead to an increase in applications. Full enrollment is a bit of a misnomer because no college/university is truly ever “full.”

For those learning something new at home, it's called the Flutie Effect 

The Flutie effect or Flutie factor is the increase in fame of an American university caused by a successful sports team. This is named for Boston College's Doug Flutie, whose game-winning Hail Mary pass in the 1984 game against the University of Miami purportedly boosted applications to the college the following year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutie_effect

Bama has gone from 25k students when Saban started, to 40k. 60% growth. With a majority of the students now being out of state (higher tuition). 

A lot of that has to do with A&M and UT getting harder to get into (re: the introduction of top 10% to now 6%) and other factors, but the Saban winning factor is 100% a huge part of it.

I guess now is a good time to acknowledge how impressive it is that our last two football hires were announced within like an hour of the previous coach leaving.

(I understand firing vs retiring is a different animal, but still a good example of minimizing uncertainty and the rumor mill).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BeardIP said:

For those learning something new at home, it's called the Flutie Effect 

The Flutie effect or Flutie factor is the increase in fame of an American university caused by a successful sports team. This is named for Boston College's Doug Flutie, whose game-winning Hail Mary pass in the 1984 game against the University of Miami purportedly boosted applications to the college the following year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutie_effect

Bama has gone from 25k students when Saban started, to 40k. 60% growth. With a majority of the students now being out of state (higher tuition). 

A lot of that has to do with A&M and UT getting harder to get into (re: the introduction of top 10% to now 6%) and other factors, but the Saban winning factor is 100% a huge part of it.

Since when did A&M get harder to get into? Rick Perry wanted to turn them into a degree mill (and UT too, but UT told the state to go fuck itself). You can go back several years and see dipshit aggys boasting (without realizing what they're doing) about how their enrollment rate keeps going up.

Finebaum saying that DeBoer is very coveted and highly thought of and that would be his choice. Obviously I like DeBoer. I think he’s a badass but like I don’t want him at Bama. Mainly because he’d kill and destroy and keep the momentum high and there would be no awkward fall off or shitty season. He’s beaten Sark twice at Texas and he can hang with the newly fangled Big 10 in the playoffs. He will have the type of recruits at Bama that he’s never had a chance to coach in his life for the most part. It would be the best most solid pick. He’d be the slam dunk hire. Which is why I hope he stays where he is. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Was the Hartzell/CDC/Eltife meeting discussed up thread a farce? or was it wish casting that it would be with regards to a football extension? Getting kind of late in the day. 

Awfully quiet.

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

From Reddit:

Private jet that flew from Tuscaloosa to Athens earlier today is now scheduled to return to Tuscaloosa at 4:30 PM

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/WUP676/history/20240111/1930Z/KAHN/KTCL

Would they target one of Kirby's Coordinators for HC? Seems risky.

Since we are masters of flight aware and curtains and such:

I don’t know what any of that shit means. Is that a regular flight or something we should track? Where are our flight people? 

31 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Seattle has like 45 minutes of sunlight during the winter. And even if it's not raining, every day has thick fog, even if it sometimes clears up.

There's a reason University of Washington has the highest suicide rate in the country. Yours sounds like a life wasted.

I lived in Seattle for a few years and am a native Texan.  Seattle is pretty great.  Not sure about wasted life

10 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Was the Hartzell/CDC/Eltife meeting discussed up thread a farce? or was it wish casting that it would be with regards to a football extension? Getting kind of late in the day. 

do you think if they were meeting, they would send an email to UT faculty letting them know, and if so, that email wouldn't be all over the intertrons in 5 seconds?

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Since we are masters of flight aware and curtains and such:

I don’t know what any of that shit means. Is that a regular flight or something we should track? Where are our flight people? 

The first flight plan was a joke of sorts. Was just one filed with a Cessna. The 2nd one is more interesting. @derpyhorndog I think this is your purview? Any care to dig?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

After 3 weeks in, I could tell why nearly all of them never got into UT. In fact, only 1 did because he emailed me. He came back from LSU, never took any notes, never wrote anything down, and could recite my lectures nearly word for word. I definitely wrote him a letter or rec.

Reminds me of a guy on my wing in Jester my freshman year at UT.  1983. Mike M. Chemical Engineering major. Dude would never miss a class, but went to class emptyhanded. He just sat and listened to the lectures. Came home and knocked out any assignments with ridiculous ease. Never went to the library except if he was trying to nail a chick. His routine the night before exams (and a lot of other nights too) was to go out and get hammered, then come back to the dorm and get fucked up on whatever drug matched his mood that evening. Might get 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Then in the a.m. he'd walk into class and take the exam, easily be the first one to finish, and never miss a single question. Never saw him study once, or even crack a book. He graduated with a 4.0 and promptly took a job with a major news network as a combat news cameraman. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen. /csb

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keef said:

I'm too dumb and old to know how to actually check this, but someone on BOL is claiming that Bubba Hampton said on Instagram Live that Sark is being rumored.

Seems like a "I read it on twitter" rumor more than a "I heard from someone in the athletic department."

I doubt an incoming freshman who's not even on campus yet would know shit about fuck.

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire