Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

getting pwn3d by kelvin sampson is always a bad look. 

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've always admired/respected Sampson. Hard not to.

I just wouldn't ever give him my phone number, else, he'd be texting me 24-7.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've always admired/respected Sampson. Hard not to.

I just wouldn't ever give him my phone number, else, he'd be texting me 24-7.

He's a good coach but just a god damned asshole.  OU fans were happy to see him 'stolen' away by IN. 

CSB alert:  There was a FT shooting contest for a kid to win free books when he was at OU.  The student was supposed to retrieve the ball on their own to run back to the FT line and shoot until he made one.  One cheerleader helped by tapping the ball back when the guy had run like half way back.  Kelvin completely lost his shit.  It was such a wtf moment.  I was done with the guy then.  

Although, now that I'm old and random shit really pisses me off...maybe I should reconsider?  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Pancho said:

EVERYONE on the board? Every single person? You know you’re fucking lying. 

Were there people who were saying “just give him the job” after seeing us go to the EE? Yes, of course, and a lot of those were people who don’t really post in this forum or give a shit about basketball. But there were a ton of people saying this would be a mistake hire. To further that point, there were a lot of people here saying we are in a no-win situation because you almost have to hire RT because of what just happened with us going to the EE but we are almost guaranteed to be looking for a new coach in 2-3 years. 

So no, EVERYONE was not on this board clamoring for RT to get the job. You just made that shit up. Now, was nearly every media member wanting him to get the job? Yes.

Jesus man, he's the pyscho, chill a bit. 

32 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's a good coach but just a god damned asshole.  OU fans were happy to see him 'stolen' away by IN. 

CSB alert:  There was a FT shooting contest for a kid to win free books when he was at OU.  The student was supposed to retrieve the ball on their own to run back to the FT line and shoot until he made one.  One cheerleader helped by tapping the ball back when the guy had run like half way back.  Kelvin completely lost his shit.  It was such a wtf moment.  I was done with the guy then.  

Although, now that I'm old and random shit really pisses me off...maybe I should reconsider?  

Maybe kelvin had money on the other kid?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Yeah ok…revisionist Surly strikes again

Shut up you fucking idiot. A ton of the site didn’t want him as permanent coach. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

#3 Kansas lost to UCF and is currently in a barn burner at WVU

I wonder if they’ll fire Bill Self… 🤣

This is a moronic comparison.

It's very likely KU's "down year" will end up better than all of Texas' past 15 seasons sans maybe three (last year, 2010-11, 13-14).

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Rage+1 1

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39350746/texas-coach-apologizes-horns-rant-ucf-loss

"We have a lot of passion for who we are and what we are representing. We try to do that in a class manner, at the highest level," Terry said. "If I offended some of our fans as well in not handling myself in the right way ... I apologize to our fan base as well, and understand what it means to be the head coach at the University of Texas and what our brand stands for."

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

This is a moronic comparison.

It's very likely KU's "down year" will end up better than all of Texas' past 15 seasons sans maybe three (last year, 2010-11, 13-14).

They lost to the same teams 

My only point is you all are overreacting big time to a couple Ls. It’s like if I started an “Extend Rodney Terry” thread after todays W. It makes no sense either way. 

Just let the season play out and it will be clear one way or the other. Personally I see no need to jump to negative conclusions about a seemingly good hardworking and decent man coaching a talented bunch of young men. Y’all are just being silly and overreacting for the sake of some imaginary Internet cred 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

My only point is you all are overreacting big time to a couple Ls. It’s like if I started an “Extend Rodney Terry” thread after todays W. It makes no sense either way. 

Just let the season play out and it will be clear one way or the other. Personally I see no need to jump to negative conclusions about a seemingly good hardworking and decent man coaching a talented bunch of young men. Y’all are just being silly and overreacting for the sake of some imaginary Internet cred 

Texas fans are so laughably reactionary and fickle it almost doesn’t seem real. Lose a few games and want to fire the coach immediately. It’s embarrassing being associated with some of y’all 

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

There were plenty that did not want him as the head coach. You were wrong. Let it go

There was like three people who definitively didn’t want him as coach. Maybe a few more on the fence. Pretty much everyone else was literally saying “Give him the damn job”, “What are you waiting for CDC”, “hurry up before someone else grabs him”, etc. Clearly nobody is gonna admit it at this point but so carry on

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

There was like three people who definitively didn’t want him as coach. Maybe a few more on the fence. Pretty much everyone else was literally saying “Give him the damn job”, “What are you waiting for CDC”, “hurry up before someone else grabs him”, etc. Clearly nobody is gonna admit it at this point but so carry on

I don’t believe this is true.  Lots of folks did not want Rodney and this far it doesn’t look like a great hire but gotta let him finish the season

• Hook 'Em 2

Weird thing to feel the need to say

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You are on a crack. I was a vocal critic and so were a lot of people. Go into my post history. There were some casual basketball fans (that showed up for the EE run) that were worried about "optics" that really wanted him hired. 

24 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Texas fans are so laughably reactionary and fickle it almost doesn’t seem real. Lose a few games and want to fire the coach immediately. It’s embarrassing being associated with some of y’all 

yeah, uh, there’s a whole bunch of us who never wanted RT as our HC in the first place, and nothing that he’s done since being named HC has proven us to be wrong for feeling that way. this isn’t “a few losses”, this is an objectively sensible opinion based on RT’s 28 years as a d-1 coach.

15 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

yeah, like pancho said, you’re just making shit up.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hornster said:

Terry was stupid and embarrassed himself and this fan base, but me and that account have different definitions of “tears into” lol.

Jay Bilas called it a nothing burger and Jay Williams asked why do we still even do handshake lines. Greenberg was the only one who said worry about coaching your team.

• Hook 'Em 2

If Terry wants to win a couple of national titles like Self has then he can lose to shitty teams occasionally. Not in year fucking 1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Nah, I think a lot of people were just saying they knew Terry was going to get the job because of an Elite 8 run and Big 12 tournament title. 

We should have hired a more proven HC, but at the same time I realize it was a very weird situation. No program would have hired anybody other than RT after an Elite 8 run, Big 12 tournament title, and based on the fact Texas was trending for multiple 5 stars. 

I think where people are off base is blaming the admin/CDC/Eltife or whatever for hiring RT. No program would have taken a different course of action based on the circumstances/results. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If Terry wants to win a couple of national titles like Self has then he can lose to shitty teams occasionally. Not in year fucking 1. 

bill self has finished outside the kenpom top 19 ONCE this century.

IMG_6888.thumb.jpeg.73e7f2dde15662adc572917277e84379.jpeg

IMG_6887.thumb.jpeg.4322350ea6785e58d11976d59aa1ad17.jpeg

he’s finished in the top ten SEVENTEEN times since 2000. but yeah, his and RT’s situations are definitely comparable. 👌🏻 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’ll just say it - God damn it, Chris. It was all right fucking there….and I understand why Coach Terry got the job and don’t fault the administration given the circumstances, but I was definitely one of the many saying it wasn’t going to work. Coach Terry appears by all accounts to be a good man, but he’s a mediocre basketball coach. 

I was a no on Terry because it was obvious based on his history but I figured we'd "Texas it up" by worrying about optics.  Plus I know a couple reasonably decent money guys that support basketball and were all about Terry.  Mainly because they got to know him through Beard and liked that they could still have an "in".  a new coach means you might not have that "in" if you are a 2nd tier money guy.

maybe he makes me eat crow.  I'll be happy if he does.

And there are plenty of schools that would have thanked Terry for his service and went full court press to find the next guy.   Texas isn't like those schools as it relates to basketball.  That's why Terry is getting 3M a year.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Complete fabrication.  Try the truth, it feels good.

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

And there are plenty of schools that would have thanked Terry for his service and went full court press to find the next guy.  

Who?

Duke made an internal hire who had never been a head coach. UNC made an internal hire who had never been a head coach. Villanova just essentially made an internal hire after 1 bad season as a head coach at Fordham. Those are 3 basketball blue-bloods. 

Very few schools (if any) would have made a different decision than Texas after an elite 8 and Big 12 tournament title. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I was a no on Terry because it was obvious based on his history but I figured we'd "Texas it up" by worrying about optics.  Plus I know a couple reasonably decent money guys that support basketball and were all about Terry.  Mainly because they got to know him through Beard and liked that they could still have an "in".  a new coach means you might not have that "in" if you are a 2nd tier money guy.

maybe he makes me eat crow.  I'll be happy if he does.

And there are plenty of schools that would have thanked Terry for his service and went full court press to find the next guy.   Texas isn't like those schools as it relates to basketball.  That's why Terry is getting 3M a year.

This is precisely what this board was saying despite Adam psycho driver’s horseshit he’s trying to convince himself of. 90% of this board was saying we probably aren’t going to hire someone else and it will be RT and that we will be looking for a new coach in 2-3 years because he’s not it. That same chunk of posters (myself included) were saying while RT isn’t the first choice, we will be rooting for him to be successful because it’s Texas.  The only thing I think some people were arguing was if we know it’s going to be RT, just take the interim tag off for recruiting purposes or some shit like that. The people were were saying “JUST HIRE HIM ALREDY” and “CDC TAKE THE TAG OFF ALREDY” were media folks.

I know I was asking the question “would RT even get a job interview for this position had he not been in the interim role based on his past HC experience because I don’t think so” and the consensus was no. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Who?

Duke made an internal hire who had never been a head coach. UNC made an internal hire who had never been a head coach. Villanova just essentially made an internal hire after 1 bad season as a head coach at Fordham. Those are 3 basketball blue-bloods. 

Very few schools (if any) would have made a different decision than Texas after an elite 8 and Big 12 tournament title. 

really?  Duke and UNC had a planned transition to an assistant who was an alumnus and had been an assistant for a while.  basically the same situation with Villanova when Wright retired.  All 3 were being groomed to take over.

Mid season firings/resignations don't happen very often  and when they do the team is a disaster already most of the time.

Bo Ryan retired when they were pretty good, they hired Gard and he took them to sweet 16.  he went to the sweet 16 the next year and then meh since then.

Sampson had to resign at Indiana at 22-4 and Dakich took over, they lost in the first round with a good team,  they hired Crean the next year and he was not good until some sweet 16 success.

Ryan/Gard is probably the closest analog and they hired him and it was meh.  I was hoping to avoid meh.  We didn't have to hire him but we did and admittedly I don't know what other options CDC had.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

has anyone mentioned who was the hire UT missed out on by going with terry ?

It’s all so fucking stupid

People need to take a deep breath and let the season play out instead of following Derka off the cliff like a little lemming 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

has anyone mentioned who was the hire UT missed out on by going with terry ?

this is a red herring.  no one ever knows.  who was the hire we missed out on when we went with Charlie Strong?

what I do know is the money and players were all wound up about Terry being the guy.  Here we are.  the guy is getting 3M for a reason.  My guess is the contract was CDC's call so at least we didn't do something stupid there.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

really?  Duke and UNC had a planned transition to an assistant who was an alumnus and had been an assistant for a while.  basically the same situation with Villanova when Wright retired.  All 3 were being groomed to take over.

They hired 3 assistants from a successful program because they thought it was the best option. It's no different than Terry except he had success in an interim role. 

The idea other schools would have taken a different route than Texas is pure fantasy. Nobody was going to get rid of Terry after an Elite 8 run, Big 12 tournament title, #5 Kenpom finish, and a ton of recruiting momentum.

It was just a shitty situation where Texas was pretty much forced to hire Terry based on the circumstances. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They hired 3 assistants from a successful program because they thought it was the best option. It's no different than Terry except he had success in an interim role. 

The idea other schools would have taken a different route than Texas is pure fantasy. Nobody was going to get rid of Terry after an Elite 8 run, Big 12 tournament title, #5 Kenpom finish, and a ton of recruiting momentum.

It was just a shitty situation where Texas was pretty much forced to hire Terry based on the circumstances. 

Terry wasn't being groomed to take over from a legend. it isn't the same at all.