2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

32 minutes ago, AustinHorn said:

Have there been any white flags waving in the Haley camp yet? 

Unless she runs completely out of money, she needs to stay in it in case something happens to Trump before the convention, as well as lay the groundwork for 2028.  All of the organization/infrastructure she has going right now will need to be spun up in 2026/7 for her 2028 campaign. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't think it's this simple. A large number of those Haley voters likely voted for Biden in 2020.

That's entirely possible as well, and bodes even more in our favor.  

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

^^^ with the acknowledgement that Klepper is purposely seeking out the most mind-numbingly frustrating, contradictory, shit-logic people on the planet for the lulz.

It would be nice if those people were in shorter supply though

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Haley would likely breeze past Biden in the general.  The GOP just can’t quit Donald.  We are lucky they are so stupid. 

You're crazy, man. Even if MAGA is, god willing, a much smaller contingent than we think, you're looking at something in the range of 25-35 million Trump voters who would NEVER vote for the uppity bitch that stood up to him. They'd either not vote and return to their lives as disillusioned assholes with no voice (please, please, please), write in Trump's name as tribute, or vote Biden as a "fuck you" to the GOP that betrayed their deity. The GOP's actions over the last 7 years are that of a group who has come to the realization that they can no longer win nationally without the MAGA vote.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You're crazy, man. Even if MAGA is, god willing, a much smaller contingent than we think, you're looking at something in the range of 25-35 million Trump voters who would NEVER vote for the uppity bitch that stood up to him. They'd either not vote and return to their lives as disillusioned assholes with no voice (please, please, please), write in Trump's name as tribute, or vote Biden as "fuck you" to the GOP that betrayed their deity. The GOP's actions over the last 7 years are those who have come to the realization that they can no longer win without nationally without the MAGA vote.

You could snap back to 2012 mentality and it would be Romney v a fossil, so she’d end up with lots more undecideds than him.  That’s not that long ago that the realignment isn’t far fetched.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yea, I feel like the "traditional" Republicans brought back into the fold by a non-Trump ticket would be greatly outnumbered by the true believers who wouldn't bother to vote if Trump wasn't the candidate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You're crazy, man. Even if MAGA is, god willing, a much smaller contingent than we think, you're looking at something in the range of 25-35 million Trump voters who would NEVER vote for the uppity bitch that stood up to him. They'd either not vote and return to their lives as disillusioned assholes with no voice (please, please, please), write in Trump's name as tribute, or vote Biden as a "fuck you" to the GOP that betrayed their deity. The GOP's actions over the last 7 years are that of a group who has come to the realization that they can no longer win nationally without the MAGA vote.

Maybe. Poll after poll shows her with large—double digit— leads over Biden in a general. I think the gap would close but she would get all the normal GOP and a bunch of suburban moms who want to be GOP but can’t vote for Trump.  Trump has never come close to getting the popular vote. 

Trump candidates do really shitty in competitive races. He plays really well among some very stupid people in places that have an outsize effect on the election. His whole schtick is to play to the most divorced drunken midwesterner you know. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Maybe. Poll after poll shows her with large—double digit— leads over Biden in a general. I think the gap would close but she would get all the normal GOP and a bunch of suburban moms who want to be GOP but can’t vote for Trump.  Trump has never come close to getting the popular vote. 

Trump candidates do really shitty in competitive races. He plays really well among some very stupid people in places that have an outsize effect on the election. His whole schtick is to play to the most divorced drunken midwesterner you know. 

Reminder: a Republican has won the popular vote exactly once since 1988.

• Hook 'Em 7

Yea, I feel like the "traditional" Republicans brought back into the fold by a non-Trump ticket would be greatly outnumbered by the true believers who wouldn't bother to vote if Trump wasn't the candidate.

Doesn’t matter. Trump has enough numbers of very motivated voters. He’s gonna win. Every national poll has him up. And for yall who say that the more he campaigns, the more people will see he’s shit, the counter is that more people will also have their enthusiasm boosted by his presence.
It’s not a lock, but I have a bad, bad, bad feeling,
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fair. I can maybe be convinced that the sum of 'MAGA' + 'reliable R voters no matter what' is slightly smaller than the sum of 'traditional R voters' + 'right leaning independents and suburbanites' + 'people who don't want to vote for an 81 year old'. 

But no one is winning this election in a breeze.

Trump is at a cash disadvantage against Biden. Enter Citizens United:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/05/us/politics/trump-elon-musk.html

Donald Trump, Seeking Cash Infusion, Meets With Elon Musk

It’s not clear whether Mr. Musk will spend any of his billions on the former president’s behalf. If he does, he could erase Mr. Trump’s financial disadvantage in the 2024 race.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

It’s not clear whether Mr. Musk will spend any of his billions on the former president’s behalf. If he does, he could erase Mr. Trump’s financial disadvantage in the 2024 race.

Hell, all he has to do is boost all Trump-supporting posts and ads on Twitter, and block all Biden contact, and that’s worth several hundred million right there.
We’re fucked, people. The system we created apparently had a natural lifespan, and we’ve reached the end of it. What comes next will be horrific. Which is apparently what we want. Because humans are so fucking stupid.

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

A trick is something a whore does for money.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, all he has to do is boost all Trump-supporting posts and ads on Twitter, and block all Biden contact, and that’s worth several hundred million right there.
We’re fucked, people. The system we created apparently had a natural lifespan, and we’ve reached the end of it. What comes next will be horrific. Which is apparently what we want. Because humans are so fucking stupid.

I’m reliving that scene at Obama’s SOTU address where Alito shook his head in disgust when Obama called out the SCOTUS for green lighting Citizen United. Obama should kicked him in the nuts.

• Hook 'Em 3

weird, just happened to see this quote posted by a German 80s goth singer, no less:

" The greater part of the population is not very intelligent, dreads responsibility, and desires nothing better than to be told what to do. Provided the rulers do not interfere with its material comforts and its cherished beliefs, it is perfectly happy to let itself be ruled. "
~Aldous Huxley

Trumpers absolutely believe they will benefit from the autocracy and not suffer alongside the people they hate. History says chaos will ensure society-wide, however. 
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

@Js1 consistently brings me hope with the recent election trends and the like, but fuck me if things don’t look bleak out there right now. At least for this part of the world. 

There's stuff to be positive about, even if it is worrisome.  The fact of the matter is that 25% of Republicans on a national level have voiced their displeasure with at least the perceived incumbent candidate.  I wish I could tell you that he was for sure going to fall over dead tomorrow, but I can't.  That having been said, the current Republican platform, which lets face it, is entirely MAGA, resonates with the same people it's always resonated with; it doesn't with the broader public; and this abundantly clear in the suburbs, particularly in the swing states.  Any defectors we peel off or just get to sit at home is just gravy on top for us.  Also bear in mind, that in 2016 it took a completely unenthused electorate behind a bad candidate combined with them getting every nut job out to vote.   They did it, and ever since that time, Democrats have been winning on every level. 

It's scary to play a game of brinksmanship even if you think there is an 80% shot you win.  On the national level, I like many of the numbers we are seeing.    This is pretty much all going to come down to young people like yourself, and your ability to recruit your peers.   It's our biggest advantage, and frankly this group, 30 and under, will determine this outcome.   So if you are feeling down, I hope this motivates you and reinvigorates you; you will make the difference; we need you, and we need you to recruit voters.     

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

There's stuff to be positive about, even if it is worrisome.  The fact of the matter is that 25% of Republicans on a national level have voiced their displeasure with at least the perceived incumbent candidate.  I wish I could tell you that he was for sure going to fall over dead tomorrow, but I can't.  That having been said, the current Republican platform, which lets face it, is entirely MAGA, resonates with the same people it's always resonated with; it doesn't with the broader public; and this abundantly clear in the suburbs, particularly in the swing states.  Any defectors we peel off or just get to sit at home is just gravy on top for us.  Also bear in mind, that in 2016 it took a completely unenthused electorate behind a bad candidate combined with them getting every nut job out to vote.   They did it, and ever since that time, Democrats have been winning on every level. 

It's scary to play a game of brinksmanship even if you think there is an 80% shot you win.  On the national level, I like many of the numbers we are seeing.    This is pretty much all going to come down to young people like yourself, and your ability to recruit your peers.   It's our biggest advantage, and frankly this group, 30 and under, will determine this outcome.   So if you are feeling down, I hope this motivates you and reinvigorates you; you will make the difference; we need you, and we need you to recruit voters.     

I appreciate the response. And I’m with you, except for a minor-ish caveat:

I’m 40 (and a man, and apparently a spiritual lesbian). But I’m pushing my oldest kid to try and rally votes at her college, even if it is somewhat useless in Oklahoma. I push the same message with the utes at the law school, but they’ve mostly made their minds up. Still, I try to pull the “old man with experience speaking truth to power” schtick but… forget it Jake, it’s Oklahoma.

Frankly though, I’m beginning to push more and more to head north ahead of some this madness. Feels shitty to do, cause not everyone has that option, but it feels like we’re being boxed into a corner around here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Trump dominated the primary overall, but there are cracks in the armor.  Lots of people gladly and willingly showed up to vote for Haley. Biden was getting over 80% in nearly every state and Trump didn’t get that high.

millions of independents/ democrats chose to vote in the republicans primary because it’s the only one this year with a competitive race. Lots of these folks will return home in the fall.  More democrats probably sat home during this primary season than republicans as well.

Biden needs a good state of the union tomorrow. Also dems seem to have a big advantage in the money department and at the state level in crucial swing states. Michigan / Arizona GOP are in shambles. Kari lake and Martha mcsally will be responsible for totally flipping Arizona blue. I still like the way demographics are trending in Georgia and North Carolina as well. 

Dems still have a lot to be hopeful for and it’s still early. Wait until more people become politically engaged. Right now it’s just the die hards like us. As long as a big recession doesn’t hit before fall ( looking unlikely) Biden should have a decent chance.

honestly I don’t care if Biden wins and steps down by Christmas. I just don’t want trump or MAGA to win anything.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Doesn’t matter. Trump has enough numbers of very motivated voters. He’s gonna win. Every national poll has him up. And for yall who say that the more he campaigns, the more people will see he’s shit, the counter is that more people will also have their enthusiasm boosted by his presence.

Got room on the ledge? What can I bring?

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint: he's going to lose.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Biden not leading by 60+ points is an indictment on the stupidity of the electorate.

And why I'm fucking done after this election if dotard wins.  We deserve to go down hard if we are too stupid to stop this.  Fuck everything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

spacer.png

Trump doesn’t know what the fuck he did as President. 

Someone wrote it down for his speech and now he believes he did this.

I’m pretty sure he believes he beat Obama in 2016 right now. His decline is real and precipitous 

This post is correct.  I don't even care if he's in cognitive decline or not.  He lives in a bizarro world, much like his cult.  The only reality is what he tells himself and what his enablers tell him occurred.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’ll flee to Canada, or anywhere else really that still cares about democracy. I’m mostly serious.

Yeah I'd be sure to have a Plan A, B and C because Canada can't support everyone who is going to leave. 

Do y’all want to see how fucked we are?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1b7pfa2/how_are_you_feeling_about_the_inevitable_trump_v/

One trillion upvotes this morning for variations on “these guys both suck”. Not one single top post calling out the false equivalency. 

I think I’m done with this thread and this election cycle. Quickly losing my will to give a fuck. If a majority of voters think there’s any comparison at all between these two guys, we deserve every last shit sandwich headed our way. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

One trillion upvotes this morning for variations on “these guys both suck”. Not one single top post calling out the false equivalency. 

Reddit is full of trolls, bots and 16 year olds. 

One thing I stress to everyone - Twitter/Reddit/whatever is going to be awful until November because the troll farms and bot farms are out in order to show discord and discontent.  Lotta comments from 1 post/1 karma type accounts. 

The Russian disinfo is strong with Reddit comments

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 8

Actually one last parting shot before I’m out. Anyone posting stuff like “Trump is only winning 70% and that is very bad for him” needs to shut the fuck up. That is a terrible take. Nikki Haley is a big name, was a governor and UN ambassador, and had a lot of money behind her. If someone like, say, Pete Buttigeig was running against Biden, he’d be siphoning off 35% too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Actually one last parting shot before I’m out. Anyone posting stuff like “Trump is only winning 70% and that is very bad for him” needs to shut the fuck up. That is a terrible take. Nikki Haley is a big name, was a governor and UN ambassador, and had a lot of money behind her. If someone like, say, Pete Buttigeig was running against Biden, he’d be siphoning off 35% too. 

It is bad for him. The GOP *IS* the Trump party. He’s losing 1/3-1/4 of GOP voters in what should be a coronation of a primary and especially bleeding support in the suburbs and college towns. Those are voters who have been shifting left the last 8 years, quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I find most of my political news here or listening to NPR. And I've gotta say, this place gives me the warm fuzzies compared to national media reports. I might need to tune out for a few months to let my brain recover.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I would love to see how this era is studied and described in 100 years. They’ll surely figure it out. Either microplastics, or lead water pipes, or cell phone signals, something has broken the brains of half this country and it’s spreading around the world. Societies don’t generally go backwards, they progress towards more freedoms and broader opportunities. The opposite is happening. There has to be a cause. Maybe it really is Idiocracy going way faster than anyone could anticipate. Something has broken the human mind and any of the forgoing explanations might make sense, although it’s more likely something we haven’t even considered yet.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I would love to see how this era is studied and described in 100 years

The Great De-Enlightening 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I would love to see how this era is studied and described in 100 years. They’ll surely figure it out. Either microplastics, or lead water pipes, or cell phone signals, something has broken the brains of half this country and it’s spreading around the world. Societies don’t generally go backwards, they progress towards more freedoms and broader opportunities. The opposite is happening. There has to be a cause. Maybe it really is Idiocracy going way faster than anyone could anticipate. Something has broken the human mind and any of the forgoing explanations might make sense, although it’s more likely something we haven’t even considered yet.

Fox News.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Do y’all want to see how fucked we are?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1b7pfa2/how_are_you_feeling_about_the_inevitable_trump_v/

I think I’m done with this thread and this election cycle. Quickly losing my will to give a fuck. If a majority of voters think there’s any comparison at all between these two guys, we deserve every last shit sandwich headed our way. 

Do you know how many bots and Russians are on Reddit?

Kris Jenner Drama GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You forgot social media. If anything, lead water pipes are reducing. 

You pose an interesting idea in regards to societies not generally "going backwards." I'm not sure I agree with that. In a marco level, humanity as one society, we're a sample size of one, so I'm not sure you can say definitely that we don't go backwards, only fowards, and hell "forwards" is apparently subjective to a fuck ton of people. On a more micro level, in regards to nation states, plenty seem to go backwards in spurts. Lebanon and other middle east countries arguably have gone backwards. Many countries in Africia, and places like Haiti, seem like they've never taken a step forwards. I just don't know, man. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The internet and smart phones.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Is there some high school or college campus club where you get mad pussy or dick by decrying Biden’s position in the Gaza Strip and proudly vote for Trump instead, that I’m just too old and lame to know about?  

when you vote for that fuckstick and he puts you and your family on a Muslim registry.  Remember my words “I warned you.  And I no longer care.  I’m a partially Jewish Mexican.  But I can easily re-assimilate back into white nationalist Christian Republican America.  When the bullets hit your parent’s skulls, what difference will it make the reason why?”   You fucking pedantic children and your obsession with being performatively bold.  

Nice rant. You think it'll change the minds of the ones voting "uncommitted"?

Hint: It won't. 

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I, too, would morbidly like to be around 100 years from now to see how we are described as a nation.  I talk to my oldest girl about it every now and again to try to impart the modicum of wisdom I have on the subject.  But then my wife cuts me off.  Wife doesn't like Trump but is apologetic for him sometimes because most of her family is devout MAGA and she is close to the few MAGA members I have on my side of the family as well.  But they are both whip-smart and my wife knows what I say and what she won't admit.  It wasn't a grand conspiracy.  It wasn't radiation or lead-paint or the ChiComs or eating styrofoam.  She's apologetic because she knows what Trump gave to people like her relatives, and some of mine, and 35% of our adult population.  He gave them what they craved and wandered for.  Validation.  You matter.  What you believe.  What you think.  What your issues are.  It's all perfectly well and good.  What you've been denied access to all these years, it's not your fault.  And simply give me your money and support, and I will get it back for you, and then some.  He comes as your  friend, at a time when you're most vulnerable.  History, to your point, has proven this out time and time again.  It happened because it works.

• Hook 'Em 3