Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

The first 15 mins of this podcast is an interview with a couple SpaceX board members that were at the launch. Don’t listen any further unless you want to be triggered by hearing David Sacks’ voice. 

A few interesting points I wasn’t aware of. Larger rocket will decrease cost of taking payload to space by 50x. 

Currently variable costs are $15M for 17 metric tons. New rocket costs $2M for 100 metric ton load. 

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

As with everything elno mosk, it just gets worse the more you dig

According to his daddy, elno wouldn't have left Praetoria but he was mad because someone stole his pretty new bicycle.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7911051/elon-musks-dad-errol-emerald-business/amp/

image.thumb.png.c84005d935f8777f96db53606d45f482.png

To prove his point, Errol provided pics of some of the bright green precious gemstones, which he says came from the mine.

He explained that it is in the Lake Tanganyika region of Zambia, the second biggest emerald-producing country in the world after Colombia.

But Errol admits it was far from being a conventional mining setup - and that might explain why Elon is so sure no one can prove its existence.

Errol says he first stumbled into the emerald business while flying from South Africa en route to the UK to sell a Cessna Golden Eagle plane.

Landing at an airstrip near Zambia’s northern borders with Tanzania and what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo, he met and befriended the Italian owner of the airstrip.

It turned out the Italian-employed locals dig out emeralds deep in the Zambian bush and Errol decided to go into business with him.

The workers would bring them in for shipment to Errol in what the retired electromechanical engineer described as an “under the table” operation.

The Italian business partner would then pay the locals around $2 a load, enough to feed an entire family for a month, Errol says.

He explained: “What Elon is saying is that there was no formal mine.
“It was a rock formation protruding from the ground in the middle of nowhere.

“There was no mining company. There are no signed agreements or financial statements.

“No one owned anything. The deal was done on a handshake with the Italian man at a time when Zambia was a free for all.

“Not even he knew exactly where the border was. At that time, it was like the Wild West.”

Errol can only say for sure that the deposit was about 40 miles from where he had landed his Cessna in Kasaba Bay, which is now a tourist hub.

Explaining why he thinks that Elon has pushed back on the emerald mine story, Errol said: “Elon's main concern is not to appear to be a 'trust fund kid’ who got everything given to him on a plate.

“That's what his nay-sayers are pushing. It's not true. Elon took risks and worked like blazes to be where he is today.

“The emeralds helped us through a very trying time in South Africa, when people were fleeing the country in droves, including his mother's whole family, and earning opportunities were at an all-time low. That's all.”

Describing how he used the proceeds from the emeralds to set Elon and his brother Kimbal on a new path, Errol said: “In the late 1980s, Elon was doing a business degree at the University of Pretoria.

“But he was very unhappy there. The last straw for him was when someone stole his expensive bicycle I had bought him.

“One day, I found him in bed looking depressed. It was heartbreaking to see him like that.

“I said to him, ‘You're not very happy, Elon, are you?’ He said, ‘No.’

“And suddenly, it came to me out of the blue to ask him, 'Would you like to go and study in the United States?

“He looked up at me, his face beaming and exclaimed, ‘Yes!’

“Ten days later, Elon left South Africa with a return ticket for a year for America with emerald money in his pocket.”

Elon first spent a year working for the Bank of Nova Scotia in Canada between 1989 and 1990.

Then, he enrolled on a scholarship at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton Business School, one of the top business schools in the world.

Errol said: “During that time, I managed to send money I’d made from emerald sales to him and Kimbal for living expenses.”

But when the bottom dropped out of the emerald business due to the emergence of a cheaper lab-made version of the gemstone, Errol had to sell assets to keep cash flowing to his sons.

He unsuccessfully tried to cash in on his share in a game farm, so was forced to his ocean-going yacht for R100,000 (then around $29,000), a quarter of its value.

Errol says he then had to send the cash via an Israeli broker because of strict exchange control regulations.

He explained: “I took a hell of a chance because people I knew were sent to jail for doing a similar thing.

“I managed to send them about R400,000 (then around $115,000) in total.

“It helped them with rent and food. Kimbal told me that they could never have survived without the money.”

Elon has previously claimed that he arrived in Canada in 1989 with just CA$2,500 and paid his own way through college, ending with $100,000 in student debt.

But despite repeatedly stating that there is “no evidence” of an emerald mine, he has reportedly admitted that it did exist - and that he visited it.

According to fact-checking website Snopes, Elon said in a since-deleted interview with Forbes in July 2014: “This is going to sound slightly crazy, but my father also had a share in an Emerald mine in Zambia.

“I was 15 and really wanted to go with him but didn’t realize how dangerous it was.

“I couldn’t find my passport, so I ended up grabbing my brother’s - which turned out to be six months overdue.

“So, we had this planeload of contraband and an overdue passport from another person.

But that's only two stories of Elmo's dad hating him. Are there oth...

https://www.news24.com/fin24/economy/elon-musk-made-hurtful-comment-to-fellow-pupil-who-left-him-hospitalised-father-says-20220602

image.thumb.png.c3a0e745ca739c1b9615da1715b0916d.png

He also recalled a time when Elon made a hurtful comment to a schoolmate about his father's suicide.

The boy pushed Elon down a staircase at school, injuring him so badly he had to be hospitalised.

When he heard what had happened, Errol wanted to defend his son.

"But I realised Elon overstepped the mark with this little boy. I had to drop it," he said.

Man, it must really suck to realize you've raised such a shithead

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Jimmy Dore show host (whatever that is): Matt, you turned your back on twitter in favor of capitalizing on all your new maga followers via substack thanks to the twitter files, yet the crazy lefties don't give you credit for that. Tell me your thoughts.

Taibbi: Yeah I was trying to protect Elon.

(the body language of someone shaking their head no while trying to 'explain' something supposedly true displayed in perfect form)

57 minutes ago, Chopper said:

a new social justice movement was borne

Long story short - there is rumor that blue checks blocking you will cause you to get buried in the feed. Thus if you block them first; they can’t see you to block you and impact you ability to interact on the site. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Long story short - there is rumor that blue checks blocking you will cause you to get buried in the feed. Thus if you block them first; they can’t see you to block you and impact you ability to interact on the site. 

Don't know if it's been done on purpose or if something broke, but without being logged in to twitter, I can no longer run a search on twitter. I can still pull up any url or link without being logged in (and I don't have an account) so if something's not broken, it seems nonsensical or possibly the result from a related change.

For comparison of scale/popularity, it's 1.7M followers vs. 1,000. Yet the guy with 1,000 blue bot followers thinks he's more valuable because he paid $8.

edit to add: Just to cover the new debt Mosk added to purchase twitter, he needs 10M new subscribers. Just for the debt service.

To cover preexisting overhead he needs a minimum 35M new twitter blue subscribers.

They currently have 380,000 subs.

To

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Don't know if it's been done on purpose or if something broke, but without being logged in to twitter, I can no longer run a search on twitter. I can still pull up any url or link without being logged in (and I don't have an account) so if something's not broken, it seems nonsensical or possibly the result from a related change.

It was done on purpose to make folks log in or get an account - I think Elon or somebody at twitter referenced it (may have even been dressed up as reducing the use of server resources, but it seemed like more data mining to me).  It happened to me a while back, and it doesn't matter what platform I'm on, PC or Mac, desktop or phone/tablet, things that I could do in the past like certain searches or looking at recommended links from emails or whatever, I can no longer do unless I'm logged in.

It's fucking annoying as shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Okay it’s ramped up for me in the last 24 hours - I can hardly do anything, even looking at individual tweets or user profiles, without being kicked out to a login screen, and it’s cross-platform for me.  If I turn on a VPN for another country, it doesn’t do it as much.

And I’ve got multiple emails since 4/20 telling me I can get my verification check if I just pay the man.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Fuck this shit, why can't the nerds come up with an alternative? Trump is dumb as fuck and still managed to roll out an exact carbon copy of  Twitter. 

Just need to see where the interesting accounts coalesce at. Then the replacement can take off 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Elon is now tagging high profile accounts that have been mocking him and blue checks - Rex Chapman, Chrissy Tiegen, Mehdi Hassan, dril, Patton Oswalt - with blue checks.

He needs to start pulling a Costanza because every instinct he has is wrong.

Why do I get the feeling that his account has admin access and he's doing this stuff on his own, just reading something, getting pissed, and adding the blue check, etc.

It may not be a bad thing if it keeps him away from SpaceX.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm old enough to remember those salad days last fall when Elon was bitching about the secretive, random process where blue checks were given out.  Now apparently the dead are getting them.

Also,  I'm honestly surprised that we can still embed tweets here.  I would have figured that one of the minions would have convinced Elon by now that allowing the embedding of tweets on other platforms was bad business, and should be eradicated.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Also,  I'm honestly surprised that we can still embed tweets here.  I would have figured that one of the minions would have convinced Elon by now that allowing the embedding of tweets on other platforms was bad business, and should be eradicated.

I'm actually surprised we can still embed as well - you'd think, along with trying to force people to login when visiting twitter.com, he'd be cancelling the embeds and forcing people to twitter.com for the ad revenue.  Maybe somebody told him it was a substantial chunk of traffic and that if he cut it off, it might cut twitter activity way down, which would affect advertising.

I still think we might be headed for a full-on subscription requirement to use it (maybe not to read it).  He's been absolutely embarrassed by the blue check fiasco this week, and doesn't even have the self-awareness that tossing around blue checks to people who hate him is giving off 1990s teenage BBS SysOp vibes.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The first few pages of this thread are a great read in hindsight.

They are, given how much of a clown he's turned into.  Nothing will top the first few pages of the original COVID thread or the Fitlump getting elected to the Austin City Council thread in terms of hindsight, but it could come close.  FWIW, looking at that fitlump thread's first page, @tx 3 putt doomed us with wanting her to win.

12 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Fuck this shit, why can't the nerds come up with an alternative? Trump is dumb as fuck and still managed to roll out an exact carbon copy of  Twitter. 

The problem isn’t copying Twitter, the problem is getting critical mass to become a successful platform.

It’s one reason why Twitter hasn’t just up and died, they have the users that keep it going. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was done on purpose to make folks log in or get an account - I think Elon or somebody at twitter referenced it (may have even been dressed up as reducing the use of server resources, but it seemed like more data mining to me).  It happened to me a while back, and it doesn't matter what platform I'm on, PC or Mac, desktop or phone/tablet, things that I could do in the past like certain searches or looking at recommended links from emails or whatever, I can no longer do unless I'm logged in.

It's fucking annoying as shit.

Twitter's long been a better product when you don't have an account or aren't logged in - because they don't 'curate' your feed or feed you ads, or insert white nationalists in there, as they do under Mosk's leadership. I have valued it especially for the direct commentary by leading Supreme Court watchers, experts in analysis of political polls, foreign policy issues, Ukraine, and sports news and vids. It's strange to watch it become so unusable so quickly. Now it seems mostly usable for watching elno get dunked on. 

For example, dril learning he could get rid of the blue check by simply changing the name of his account and continuing to dunk on elon.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Genco said:

Getting celebrities with millions of followers to disavow and reject the service/checkmark that you gifted them is certainly an outside-the-box marketing strategy.

Never would have thought Mosk would have a problem understanding the basics of consent.

FuWdSDiaQAA_adm?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

At what point do those of you that hold strong negative beliefs about the corrosive impact of Elon’s Twitter decide to stop supporting it and leave the platform?

Define "supporting it."  edit - I don't do anything on the site that feels even a little supportive of it and I know that question has come up before for those with accounts. I think the answer comes down to whether someone's use of twitter is adding value to twitter. Are they seeing a lot of ads? Are they attracting users? Does their usage add to some score that's good for twitter when they make a pitch to advertisers?

Edited by Chopper

19 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Define "supporting it."  edit - I don't do anything on the site that feels even a little supportive of it and I know that question has come up before for those with accounts. I think the answer comes down to whether someone's use of twitter is adding value to twitter. Are they seeing a lot of ads? Are they attracting users? Does their usage add to some score that's good for twitter when they make a pitch to advertisers?

If you are creating content and/or viewing ads, you’re putting money in Elon’s pocket.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay it’s ramped up for me in the last 24 hours - I can hardly do anything, even looking at individual tweets or user profiles, without being kicked out to a login screen, and it’s cross-platform for me.  If I turn on a VPN for another country, it doesn’t do it as much.

And I’ve got multiple emails since 4/20 telling me I can get my verification check if I just pay the man.

How are you accessing Twitter? I use the mobile app and haven’t been logged out once. Also, I haven’t seen a single email begging me for $8. 

14 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Maybe because no one really wants to? The only people really building one  out that I know of are people you probably don’t like, Bitcoiners. That’s because they actually care about centralization of power and censorship. It’s buggy and slow but a lot of people are working on it. 

https://nostr.how/en/what-is-nostr

https://www.forbes.com/sites/digital-assets/2023/04/11/how-to-get-started-with-nostr/?sh=25074adc406b

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

At what point do those of you that hold strong negative beliefs about the corrosive impact of Elon’s Twitter decide to stop supporting it and leave the platform?

It’s a bunch of larping. For all of Elon and Twitter’s faults, it’s the best news aggregation site out there by a mile. The best, most informative thread on this whole forum is 99% sourced by Twitter and the tweets are shared by the very same people here talking shit constantly about Elon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

At this point I ask myself the same thing. I might not be putting money into Twitter directly, but interacting with the site, I trigger advertising, I trigger stuff that gets them money. At some point I have to ask why? I eject, I can say "Well I did my part." Look at all the high profiles that realized they aren't given Elon any more content anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Mullet Free said:

It’s a bunch of larping. For all of Elon and Twitter’s faults, it’s the best news aggregation site out there by a mile. The best, most informative thread on this whole forum is 99% sourced by Twitter and the tweets are shared by the very same people here talking shit constantly about Elon. 

For all of Elon's faults? What the fuck are you talking about? Twitter began 17 years ago, fucknut. The good parts about it were there long before Elno and it's amazing how much he's managed to destroy in 6 months. There wasn't even a single competitor, save for the magatard safe sites, before Mosk came along. You think one is just going to pop up overnight and take away all the good content producers in the blink of an eye? Are you 10 years old? edit - most of the journos and top sports guys have more followers than the other sites have users, but that will change as twitter further degrades.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?