Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

19 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Right next to the Patel Bros. grocery store, of course.

I heard (no evidence) that those national chain Patel store owners are big Modi fans, which means they are not my preferred place to shop. Unfortunately, a lot of US based desis seem to support Modi and his rapid radicalization and power grab in India. Very sad and portends very bad news to minorities and eventually to the whole nation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

Unfortunately, a lot of US based desis seem to support Modi and his rapid radicalization and power grab in India.

In my experience, this is true of first generation Indian-Americans. And it’s true irrespective of their US political leanings. Which is fucking depressing, if you ask me.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m not in the market for an EV but I keep up with the reviews and Hyundai’s offering (Ioniq 5 and 6) are in that range and almost uniformly whip the Teslas.  Any reason why it’s not on your list? 

Ioniq 5 has a retro cool look and is deceptively big, which I like. I also test drove VW ID4 but found its interior toyish. If Mach E had the same plush ride of ID4, it would be my first choice, but Ford made it like Model Y and the ride is very stiff.

Regarding Ioniq 5 (Ioniq 6 is too new with almost no availability for comparison now, I think), whipping Teslas, I don't see it. 

Exterior: Ioniq 5 wins I think, for no other reason than everyone has Model Y. (my team of ~10 people all drive Teslas).

Interior: About the same. Hyundai looks like any typical car and Tesla is spartan. Depends on if people want buttons or a large screen with apps.

Driving: Hyundai is a bit soft (my preference) whereas Tesla is stiff and fun for the driver but not for passengers. Of course, Tesla is faster, etc.

Charging: Hyundai has fast charging and car-to-load connector, whereas Tesla has the supercharger network. I would go with supercharger network, though they are packed in California and may open for other cars. But they are reliably available unlike the multitude of others.

Quality: I know panel gaps is a meme, but I think it gets highlighted because of it and because Tesla/Musk are polarizing, people want to highlight it. At work, I can see hundreds of Teslas at our office parking lot and they don't stick out as being any worse than other cars.

Reliability/service: Hyundai is traditional but I hate dealers. I have never taken any of my cars to dealers after purchase for any service/repair. Tesla has part availability issues but stories fall under both very good and very bad regarding service.

Overall, Tesla has sold millions of vehicles and they are the most experienced in EVs. I have heard bad experiences with other EVs regarding recalls, battery issues, software glitches, etc. and their newness to EVs shows.

Regarding price, none of them are available for anything less than Model Y price. New Electric Cars Under $50,000 for Sale in San Jose, CA (with Photos) - TrueCar Ignore the Kona and Niro, which are small. Next ones are Toyota bZ4X at 42.5k, ID4 at 44k and Ariya at 45k, all base FWD trims. The base Ioniq 5 and Mach E show up at 47k+.

In contrast, Model Y is available for 47k, and it is AWD with 279miles (250-260 realistic) range. No dealer shenanigans. And it qualifies for $7500 tax credit, unlike the Ioniq 5.

image.png.4ab3a69e0169e2e4af554aec3f952d2c.png

22 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

As a desi, I can say that we, as a general rule, look for value that lasts. A house is good investment, especially a nice one that one can live in as opposed to a stock brokerage account. I agree that quite a few like to humblebrag a lot and a house is a nice way to do it.

Is that why three of my Indian friends bought huge houses once they got their first stateside job…5 bedrooms filled with 2 mattresses, an OLED 80” TV and a folding card table?  I figured it was for the expected kids and grandma/grandpa moving in sometime in the future. 

Edited by Homercles

not much else meaningful in the WP article besides what's been posted other than the next to last graf

Bluesky is part of a project, initiated by Dorsey when he was still Twitter’s CEO, to build a “decentralized” social media system, in which no single person or company controls the experience. While Twitter has invested in Bluesky, it is now a separate company with its own CEO. In recent days, it has been rapidly attracting high-profile Twitter users, some of whom have become disenchanted with the platform under Musk.

Responding to a post in which a user said “It’s pretty sad how it all went down,” Dorsey replied simply: “Yes.”

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Chopper said:

2 fucking idiots talking about things they don't understand. So it makes sense they're platformed by HBO Max.

The next deep discussion that Bill Maher has will be his first.

He's rarely if ever challenged by his guests, most of them being intellectual lightweights (though I did hear he had Scott Galloway on there a few weeks back)

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Does he not get the irony that he’s talking about himself?

anti-meritocratic

Suppression of free speech 

you cant question things

His running of Twitter has basically been that from this from day one? Removal of blue checks, banning people for their speech, and being the sole arbiter of those decisions  

additionally what does he mean you can’t question things? That’s a nebulous nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Having read The Coddling of the American Mind,(great book, highly recommended) he COULD be talking about instances like where speakers have been booed off stage or flat not allowed to talk. 

but I would push back on that, that isn’t anything to do with being progressive on social issues, that would be have to do with a generation of kids that have learned from an upbringing of ultra-protectionism & social media that words are dangerous and can cause physical harm.

But combining it with the social construct of believing that all people should be treated fairly is putting 2 very different ideas together. Just lumping your enemies into a single bin of “woke”.

But first it would be better to ask for an example, before giving him that out. 

Edited by Captain Ron

17 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Does he not get the irony that he’s talking about himself?

anti-meritocratic

Suppression of free speech 

you cant question things

His running of Twitter has basically been that from this from day one? Removal of blue checks, banning people for their speech, and being the sole arbiter of those decisions  

additionally what does he mean you can’t question things? That’s a nebulous nothing. 

He views it as he's doing all of that in a private company he owns, so that's his justification.

I know that's incredibly weak, but that's how he thinks.  The layers of illogical hypocrisy notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

He views it as he's doing all of that in a private company he owns, so that's his justification.

I know that's incredibly weak, but that's how he thinks.  The layers of illogical hypocrisy notwithstanding.

Prior to owning twitter, suppressing any tweet was described by elmo as a violation of "free speech." That's how little he knows about the subject and an expression of how little he cares to know about it.

(and then there's the whole inconsistency aspect of how he's mismanaged twitter and suprressed tweets on his own and for governments, but I have no desire to delve into all that)

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

He is embarrassingly dumb. Years ago, his show had a discussion about cuckolds getting stuck with child support for other dudes’ kids. One of the panelists told a story (probably urban myth) about a white guy who got stuck paying for his white girlfriend’s baby that, they realized at birth, was half-black. Maher was stunned and asked “Didn’t they see the baby was black on the sonogram?” When his guests politely ignored that idiotic question and tried to steer the discussion to something less stupid, he interrupted and asked again, as if he was making an insightful point instead of an ass of himself.

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

19 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

Ioniq 5 has a retro cool look and is deceptively big, which I like. I also test drove VW ID4 but found its interior toyish. If Mach E had the same plush ride of ID4, it would be my first choice, but Ford made it like Model Y and the ride is very stiff.

Regarding Ioniq 5 (Ioniq 6 is too new with almost no availability for comparison now, I think), whipping Teslas, I don't see it. 

Exterior: Ioniq 5 wins I think, for no other reason than everyone has Model Y. (my team of ~10 people all drive Teslas).

Interior: About the same. Hyundai looks like any typical car and Tesla is spartan. Depends on if people want buttons or a large screen with apps.

Driving: Hyundai is a bit soft (my preference) whereas Tesla is stiff and fun for the driver but not for passengers. Of course, Tesla is faster, etc.

Charging: Hyundai has fast charging and car-to-load connector, whereas Tesla has the supercharger network. I would go with supercharger network, though they are packed in California and may open for other cars. But they are reliably available unlike the multitude of others.

Quality: I know panel gaps is a meme, but I think it gets highlighted because of it and because Tesla/Musk are polarizing, people want to highlight it. At work, I can see hundreds of Teslas at our office parking lot and they don't stick out as being any worse than other cars.

Reliability/service: Hyundai is traditional but I hate dealers. I have never taken any of my cars to dealers after purchase for any service/repair. Tesla has part availability issues but stories fall under both very good and very bad regarding service.

Overall, Tesla has sold millions of vehicles and they are the most experienced in EVs. I have heard bad experiences with other EVs regarding recalls, battery issues, software glitches, etc. and their newness to EVs shows.

Regarding price, none of them are available for anything less than Model Y price. New Electric Cars Under $50,000 for Sale in San Jose, CA (with Photos) - TrueCar Ignore the Kona and Niro, which are small. Next ones are Toyota bZ4X at 42.5k, ID4 at 44k and Ariya at 45k, all base FWD trims. The base Ioniq 5 and Mach E show up at 47k+.

In contrast, Model Y is available for 47k, and it is AWD with 279miles (250-260 realistic) range. No dealer shenanigans. And it qualifies for $7500 tax credit, unlike the Ioniq 5.

image.png.4ab3a69e0169e2e4af554aec3f952d2c.png

Getting a car is intensely personal, so all perfectly fair reasons. I’m not EV shopping and honestly didn’t think about the supercharger network, which is huge and IMO the best Tesla argument. 

If I’m not in an environment with regular snow/ice, I don’t even think about paying a premium for AWD over FWD, which handles just as well and is lighter under most normal driving conditions. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

He's rarely if ever challenged by his guests, most of them being intellectual lightweights (though I did hear he had Scott Galloway on there a few weeks back)

When you get rolled multiple times by Bill Burr you should just retire

Don’t stand so close to Elon’s rockets.

NASA SpaceFlight was recording the launch remotely. Which is good because their shit got FUCKED UP  

I can’t find the part of the video that has this clip

DodgeCaravanSpaceX1.gif?auto=webp&optimi 

Reviewing all the damage (they have some shots of the launch pad), there is some work to do. 

The article can be found here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-pov-footage-shows-dodge-caravans-final-moments-before-spacex-starship-explodes

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Don’t stand so close to Elon’s rockets.

NASA SpaceFlight was recording the launch remotely. Which is good because their shit got FUCKED UP  

I can’t find the part of the video that has this clip

DodgeCaravanSpaceX1.gif?auto=webp&optimi 

Reviewing all the damage (they have some shots of the launch pad), there is some work to do. 

The article can be found here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-pov-footage-shows-dodge-caravans-final-moments-before-spacex-starship-explodes

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2023 at 11:18 AM, Captain Ron said:

In other words - on par with Facebook/meta.

ehhh not really, believe it or not, although they say they're working to update their TOS

https://archive.ph/lXINo

Spoiler

If you're on Twitter, you've probably seen people flocking to Bluesky, a social platform hailed as a promising alternative to the now-ailing bird app. It looks nearly identical to Twitter, was initially funded by Twitter(opens in a new tab), and calls itself a "social network for microblogging" which, huh, is funny because that's exactly what Twitter is. Anyway! Before you go running for Bluesky's greener pastures, it’s important to know what you’re agreeing to when you sign up for the platform.
Bluesky currently owns everything you post

On Thursday Apr. 27, Twitter user Ashley Gjøvik tweeted(opens in a new tab) about Bluesky's disconcertingly broad terms of service(opens in a new tab). She tweeted several screenshots of the terns, including a snippet that reads "If you post any content to the Bluesky Web Services, you hereby grant Bluesky and its licensees a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, modify, sublicense, and distribute the content, on or in connection with the Bluesky Web Services."

In plain English that means: we own everything you post.

Rose Wang, who works in Strategy and Operations at Bluesky according to her LinkedIn profile,(opens in a new tab) replied to Gjøvik's screenshots with an explanation of how Bluesky's team intends to interpret the terms: "In order for us to operate, we need to be able to promote the app," wrote Wang.

"That means, we will take screenshots of Bluesky, which will include your users’ content. That said, we have explicitly told our community that if we are using your content in a way you disapprove of, please email us... and we’ll do our best to honor your wishes. Bluesky was created so that users own their data, devs will never be locked out of the ecosystem, and creators can always own the relationship with their users... Thus, we are doing our best as [a] team to honor our ethos... Soon, our ToS will spell out use cases to mitigate confusion."

That all sounds nice. But Terms of Service agreements amount to a binding contract, and tweets claiming a company is "doing [its] best" to use your content a certain way do not.

These terms are harsh, even compared to Facebook

Let's take a look at Facebook's terms of service,(opens in a new tab) which are much more nuanced in their explanation of user rights. "You retain ownership of the intellectual property rights," the terms page reads. "Nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content... However, to provide our services we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as a 'license') to use this content."

The Facebook terms document then outlines what is covered by the license, and notes that it only applies "specifically when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products." The document also provides a helpful example: if you post a photo, you grant Facebook certain necessary permissions, allowing Facebook's parent company Meta to duplicate it, store it, and share it with others in ways "consistent with your settings." Reassuringly, it notes that the license you grant "will end when your content is deleted from our systems."
Bluesky may just be protecting itself because it's new

In comparison to Facebook's terms, Bluesky's read like a first draft put in place to satisfy a legal team, probably so the platform could start onboarding users and, for her part, the CEO has claimed(opens in a new tab) this is essentially what happened. You know what they say in tech: move fast, break things, and claim ownership of your users' content!

Wang's replies point to another sticky subject: copyright. "We must protect ourselves," she wrote. Journalists, according to Wang, have been "taking screenshots of the app and putting it into their publications," and the terms need to make it possible to "transfer rights to license content to them." In the case of moderation, Wang said, copyright once again comes into play. Bluesky must be able to legally transfer content to moderators "so that they can scan through content" and sift out objectionable material.
These terms might have downsides for Bluesky itself

But owning user content, and being able to transfer rights to that content, may mean BlueSky is not protected by the "safe harbor(opens in a new tab)" provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Under the DMCA, safe harbor protection goes away if a company has the "right and ability to control(opens in a new tab)" copyright-infringing content and can potentially profit off of it. That means these terms leave Bluesky vulnerable to costly copyright infringement litigation, which would sap the fledgling app's potential.

For all its promise, Bluesky is still very much a work in progress. And while it's never fun to read the fine print, it's worth taking a quick look before handing over your content to Bluesky.

Mashable has reached out to Bluesky's CEO for comment, and will update if we hear back.

Edited by Chopper

It's not much different from Meta. The wording is close:

Facebook

Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as Meta Products or service providers that support those products and services. This license will end when your content is deleted from our systems.

Bluesky

Rights in User Content Granted by You to Us. By making any User Content available through the Services, you hereby grant to Bluesky and its subsidiaries, affiliates, licensee, successors, and assigns (the “Bluesky Parties”) an irrevocable, non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, worldwide, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense (through multiple tiers of sub-licensing), to use, copy, modify, adapt, crop, edit, creative derivative works, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform and otherwise exploit in any media now known or hereafter devised, your User Content, in whole or in part, in connection with (i) providing the Services and Content to you and to others; (ii) promote and market Bluesky and our Services, including without limitation through Bluesky’s owned, operated, and/or branded social media channels. For example, Bluesky may create compilations of Content made available by Account holders (including your User Content), and/or use User Content or such compilations to promote the App through Bluesky’s operated, and/or branded social media channels, without further payment or consideration by Bluesky. However, without your prior consent, Bluesky will not use your User Content in any Content that is sponsored by a third party.

Main difference on Bluesky - deleting your content doesn't revoke the granting of rights. It's been noted though that if your content is shared across facebook, this keeps additional copies of your content on their site, thus extending the license.

I would also note there is a key difference in a blanket granting of rights and transferring of ownership. Despite the bold words of that article, you are only granting them rights to have/use that stuff, you still own it.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Shit job by the selection committee.  Two number 1 seeds knocked out in the first round and the other two sitting at home after the second round. 

That placement feels really random. Because I think a lot of quality fuckups were matched up early on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I think it’s time to remove the “interim” tag off the head coach for API now cost $42k/month. 

When that came out last month, I originally thought it was another one of his stupid fucking 420 jokes.

People were shocked, but twitter wanted to kill off third-party clients, without openly saying they were killing off third-party clients.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

“Nobody knows more about ______ than me.”

Sound COMPLETELY familiar?

I mean, these narcissists aren’t even original. They just say the same predictable, utter bullshit, over and over. And have morons slobbering their knobs in worship. I’ll never understand it. But then, I’m not a pathetic loser with so little self-esteem that I build my entire identity around worshipping a caricature.

It must be exhausting to tweet bullshit on twitter all day and successfully run three (3!) businesses.

image.thumb.png.7d401bbcc6a4cfe808af59802441c449.png

image.thumb.png.c98b5d597673b4d3dbf3c1b717995075.png

image.thumb.png.168d8ac8f153d8cfdaacb356c5491837.png

23 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

It's not much different from Meta. The wording is close:

I have nothing good to say about fb. I don't use it. I despise the company. I block all their ad trackers. And still, imagine yourself a content creator - a writer, a journalist, a photographer...on fb you retain some control over your content through your own settings, and the fact that you can simply delete the content and terminate any rights fb had. Once you post it, Bluesky owns a right to your content with full rights in perpetuity.

Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as Meta Products or service providers that support those products and services. This license will end when your content is deleted from our systems.

vs.

"perpetual, transferable, worldwide, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense (through multiple tiers of sub-licensing), to use, copy, modify, adapt, crop, edit, creative derivative works, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform and otherwise exploit in any media now known or hereafter devised, your User Content, in whole or in part..."

Edited by Chopper

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?