Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And WTF were they shooting?  Those look like they were hit with balls, not bullets....did Elmo piss off Archie and Jughead and the gang with slingshots?

Allegedly, they used a Tommy gun. I am curious how the door would hold up to an AR-15 firing. 223 into it since that is what all the psychos use to kill people.

Normally I wouldn't link to any website that insists on light gray text on white backgrounds, but..

https://www.cip.uw.edu/2023/10/20/new-elites-twitter-x-most-influential-accounts-hamas-israel/

"Since the first news of the attack on Israel by Hamas, we have seen anecdotal reports from users of X (formerly Twitter) that the platform has become less useful for surfacing verified news and more generally disorienting. Through a novel data collection process we identify highly influential accounts in the Hamas/Israel discourse on X that comprise the most dominant English-language news sources on Twitter for the event. In this Center for an Informed Public rapid research report, we compare these accounts to traditional news sources and find on average they have far fewer subscribers while achieving far greater views, are of more recent popularity, and show a greater posting frequency. Most of the accounts also use video and images frequently, framed in emotional ways. Strikingly, many of these accounts have received prior promotion from X owner Elon Musk, either through direct recommendation or through Musk’s account replying to their content, which may explain some of their dominance of “news twitter.”

With seven accounts racking up a cumulative 1.6 billion tweet views over three days of posts, our analysis points to a new crisis twitter that is faster, more disorienting, and potentially more shaped by Musk himself."

---

Gizmodo had a decent summary for once:

Indeed, X’s New Elites are all verified users, and several have a reputation for posting misinformation, including @sentdefender, @spectatorindex, and @WarMonitors. According to the report, the New Elites tweet in a style that erases context, spreads disturbing imagery, and adds to the emotionally charged nature of discussions surrounding the situation in Gaza.

However, the researchers say the broader problem is a question about what counts as “news” in the modern social media landscape. “The issue here isn’t misinformation — though misinformation can be involved. The issue is what the news environment looks like,” said Mike Caulfield, a research scientist at the University of Washington and the report’s lead author. “There’s really two different visions of what that news environment should be. Our report shows that one of those visions has become dominant on X.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

On 10/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Look at the bed on that Toyota.

If you can't fit an 8 ft piece of lumber in the bed of your truck without it falling out, it shouldn't be called a truck.

Most trucks aren’t bought by contractors, but dudes who live in the city and want to feel big 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Good to see this is what they are focusing on

So....WhatsApp has secure messaging and phone and video calling.

But I'd want to trust my private communications to Elon....who has made plain that he'll do whatever he wants with your information....because.....help me out here?

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yikes. The Maine mass shooter had a twitter account that was highly engaged with the elon version of twitter - and it suddenly disappeared. Now why would Elon delete such a thing?

Remember, Elon is all for free speech, accurate news, and transparency.

Except when the actual facts and truth would damage his preferred viewpoint - in THAT case, all such information should be deleted and scrubbed.

I truly cannot believe there are human beings alive who admire this gigantic bowl of runny shit named Elon.

• Hook 'Em 6

In one year Muskovy expects X will take over banking! And not just banking, your entire financial life!! And if the product isn't rolled out in the next year, it will blow Elmo's mind!!!

Elon Musk wants X to be the center of your financial world, handling anything in your life that deals with money. He expects those features to launch by the end of 2024, he told X employees during an all-hands call on Thursday, saying that people will be surprised with “just how powerful it is.”

“When I say payments, I actually mean someone’s entire financial life,” Musk said, according to audio of the meeting obtained by The Verge. “If it involves money. It’ll be on our platform. Money or securities or whatever. So, it’s not just like send $20 to my friend. I’m talking about, like, you won’t need a bank account.”

X CEO Linda Yaccarino said the company sees this becoming a “full opportunity” in 2024. “It would blow my mind if we don’t have that rolled out by the end of next year,” Musk said.

The good news is the plan is obviously very strategic and not because Muskovy is an over-emotional toddler trying to prove he was right about something 23 years ago.

“The X/PayPal product roadmap was written by myself and David Sacks actually in July of 2000,” Musk said on Thursday’s internal X call. “And for some reason PayPal, once it became eBay, not only did they not implement the rest of the list, but they actually rolled back a bunch of key features, which is crazy. So PayPal is actually a less complete product than what we came up with in July of 2000, so 23 years ago.”

• Haha 6

37 minutes ago, Chopper said:

“When I say payments, I actually mean someone’s entire financial life,” Musk said, according to audio of the meeting obtained by The Verge. “If it involves money. It’ll be on our platform. Money or securities or whatever. So, it’s not just like send $20 to my friend. I’m talking about, like, you won’t need a bank account.”

Yes.  I can think of nobody I would like to trust more with my "entire financial life" than a mercurial narcissist toddler who has complete contempt for all laws and regulations.  What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Even if you were to accept everything he says, it’s still a ridiculous idea.  Why would you even want to give up bank accounts for tokens with your microblogging app?  What market need is this serving?

I know the response is, “Well, WeChat does that in China.”  Yeah, because it’s a totalitarian communist country that assigns life scores to people and controls everything they do.  It’s not because their people really wanted the “convenience” of one app that they have to use for everything in their lives.

i wrote a longer comment about Weixin this summer here but basically:

there is no appetite for Weixin in the United States. if there was, wouldn't someone or anyone have had any level of success or tried to roll it out in the last 12 years since Weixin was first available? how many attempts have any large company made at this? not even fucking Meta with platforms that could all be rolled into 1 and with growth slowing have tried. Meta, who has Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Facebook Marketplace, Whatsapp and now threads hasn't tried. they have all the parts to do it and haven't. why? because nobody outside of fucking China wants it all in 1 app.

and

Weixin has been around since ~2011. who has tried it in the United States that you know of and remember. once again, i'll wait. i'm sure if it is such a great idea that someone has tried and had minimal success in the United States, right?

thinking that the rest of the world needs this concept, when it has been successful in ONE place, and has not been successful anywhere else kind of says it all to me. there isn't a market for it. if there was then either Weixin would have entered it, or someone else would have tried. but they haven't. hmmm why would the chinese government have interest in a 1 stop shop that includes your banking information, where you spend money, who you talk to via IM, who you talk to via VOIP, your social media network, your photo posting, what you search for,  where you go and that censors certain topics?

he's dumb and what he is doing with twitter is dumb. its going to be a business case study in exactly what to not do until the end of time.

it won't work. turns out pissing off 89% of your revenue, running off users who provide content for free, enabling extremists, paying people based on shock value (clickbait) and degrading every part of your app with no goal in mind is bad for a company. who could have ever guessed.

i trust facebook with my data a million times more than i trust Musk in any way, and i trust them the least of the FAANG or big tech or whatever they are calling themselves these days - Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Apple, Meta (Facebook), and Microsoft + Globally, Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent, and Xiaomi.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NoName said:

it won't work. turns out pissing off 89% of your revenue, running off users who provide content for free, enabling extremists, paying people based on shock value (clickbait) and degrading every part of your app with no goal in mind is bad for a company. who could have ever guessed.

Even if it were the only thing -- pressing ahead with a gimme-all-your-finances scheme that you sketched out with David Sacks, the guy who later argued silicon valley bank customers were too stupid to do their own due diligence before depositing amounts well over the fdic maximums and therefore deserved federal bailouts -- it would have to be considered extremely stable-geniusy.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Even if you were to accept everything he says, it’s still a ridiculous idea.  Why would you even want to give up bank accounts for tokens with your microblogging app?  What market need is this serving?

I know the response is, “Well, WeChat does that in China.”  Yeah, because it’s a totalitarian communist country that assigns life scores to people and controls everything they do.  It’s not because their people really wanted the “convenience” of one app that they have to use for everything in their lives.

Most of his incel loser fanbois barely have $10 to their name.  It don't make a shit hill of difference to them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Most of his incel loser fanbois barely have $10 to their name.  It don't make a shit hill of difference to them.

He's got something for incel losers like him to get excited about too!!

NY Daily News

image.thumb.png.837bfff482783e50ba3ad7a02922b6ad.png

Elon Musk plans to add a dating element to the struggling social media platform he purchased as Twitter one year ago, then rebranded into X in July. The billionaire told employees during a Thursday video call celebrating the anniversary that he plans to add the “fully fledged” coupling component in 2024, according to Insider, though details on how the singles site might be operated were not revealed.

Musk also reportedly plans to make X function as a digital banking tool. Musk has previously stated he hoped to turn his social media platform to an “everything app.”

New revenue streams appear to be imperative for X, which Musk purchased for $44 billion in October in a chaotic sale that briefly gave him cold feet.

The 52-year-old entrepreneur immediately began cutting staff and reinstating suspended accounts of users who spread hate, disinformation and bizarre conspiracy theories sometimes promoted by Musk himself.

Advertisers fled and the platform lost well more than half its value. Ditching the well-established Twitter brand may have wiped out as much as $20 billion in value too, according to Forbes.

A source familiar with Thursday’s meeting told Insider the vision Musk seems to have for X includes users paying for its growing services.

“It doesn’t seem to be what users really want,” Insider’s insider said.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  I can think of nobody I would like to trust more with my "entire financial life" than a mercurial narcissist toddler who has complete contempt for all laws and regulations.  What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Especially with a platform that has "features" rolled out based on the whims of the owner, or that has features rolled back, also based on the whims of the owner.   Not to mention the issue with how Musk views software - relentless iteration, break things, and then fix them, basically a "fail-fast" attitude.  Which is not what you want with your banking app.

For fuck's sake, Twitter hasn't even been able to handle the transition from twitter to "X", and people want the same company handling their banking?

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

They also do it because bandwidth/connectivity is a serious issue for many, and having everything in one app is cheaper/easier for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No, people don’t want X handling their banking. Elmo wants it.  That’s it.

And he's still bitter as fuck that he was pushed out as CEO of PayPal, he's bitter as fuck that those folks he was working with didn't buy into X.com, he's bitter as fuck that they wouldn't buy into his ideas about what PayPal should be.  Hell, he's probably bitter that he could have had Venmo a decade ago for $800 million, and Venmo could have kick-started his X.com dreams.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/28/2023 at 10:05 AM, Neonmoon said:

Of course Tesla’s range is bullshit 

image.thumb.jpeg.b65f76f0ea3d9d700426dfa0e306c479.jpeg

Relatedly Hertz had committed publicly to purchasing 100,000 Teslas by the end of 2022 but they only got one-third of the way there before announcing last week that they were hitting pause on all further Tesla purchases due to much greater than expected maintenance costs, and asset depreciation. On its earning call where he announced the pause in Tesla purchases the Hertz CEO had less than kind things to say about Tesla's parts availability. article below - includes a shot at Elmo's puffery (bolded).

image.thumb.png.97a7b2c71d881b6671d28188393959aa.png

Spoiler

Hertz is pumping the brakes on plans to electrify more of its rental car fleet after EV repair costs came in higher than the company anticipated, and after Tesla price cuts reduced the resale value of the majority of electric cars in its fleet by about one-third.

CEO Stephen Scherr said on the company’s third-quarter earnings update on Thursday, “our in-fleeting of EVs will be slower than our prior expectations.”

The rental car company reported lower than expected margins for the period ending September 2023, and the CEO said EV repairs were one challenge. “Our direct operating expenses remained controlled in the quarter as they grew with transaction volume. On a unit basis, we achieved productivity gains across most categories of auto. The exception remained vehicle damage costs, particularly those on our EVs.”

Scherr also said, “MSRP declines in EVs over the course of 2023, driven primarily by Tesla, have driven the fair market value of our EVs lower as compared to last year, such that as salvage creates a larger loss and therefore greater burden.”

Shares of Hertz closed down by around 10% on Thursday at $9.04 following the third-quarter update. Tesla shares also dipped around 3% on Thursday to close at $205.76.

Hertz also disclosed on Thursday that about 80% of the battery electric cars in its fleet are Teslas today. About 11% of Hertz’s entire fleet is comprised of electric cars now. With around 50,000 electric cars in its fleet currently, that means Hertz has around 35,000 Teslas in its fleet now.

That number is far shy of the 100,000 Tesla electric cars Hertz originally said it was ordering from Tesla by the end of 2022.

Hertz Global Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr said Hertz is still “committed” to buying 100,000 cars from Tesla and 175,000 EVs from GM, but is not on target to have EVs represent a quarter of its fleet by the end of 2024 any more as previously hoped.

“Our focus and our work with Tesla is to look at the performance of the car so as to lower the risk of incidents of damage,” Scherr said. “And we’re in very direct engagement with them on parts procurement and labor and the like.”

As Hertz buys up more EVs from GM and other automakers down the line, Scherr said on the company’s Q3 call, the company expects those electric vehicles to have a “lower incidence of damage,” and “a lower cost of parts and labor.”

“Remember, in the likes of GM and other OEMs, there’s decades of establishment of a broad national parts supply network. There’s an aftermarket of parts that that is there that is less mature obviously in the context of Tesla,” Scherr said, adding that margins and other EV issues would improve as Hertz looks to “diversify” that part of its fleet.

On October 25, 2021, Hertz first announced plans to grow its fleet of battery-electric vehicles with “an initial order of 100,000 Teslas by the end of 2022.” Tesla hit a $1 trillion market cap for the first time after the Hertz announcement.

A commercial featuring repeat Super Bowl champion Tom Brady, alongside parked Tesla Model 3 electric sedans in a Hertz garage, accompanied the announcement.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk waited until November 2, 2021, a week later, to inform Tesla shareholders in a post on Twitter, the social network he now owns and has rebranded as X, that Hertz had not signed any contract with Tesla for the high-volume order.

Musk frequently says that electric cars require less maintenance than counterparts with internal combustion engines (including plug-in hybrid electrics). That’s a big potential selling point for electric cars, and a reference to items like motor oil, oil filters, engine air filters, transmission fluid, spark plugs and other items requiring annual maintenance or scheduled replacements.

But electric vehicle owners can face unique maintenance needs, as well. Nikhil Naikal, CEO of Kinetic, a startup that is not affiliated with Hertz or Tesla but provides repairs for electric and autonomous vehicles, told CNBC on Thursday:

“The reality of electric vehicles is that they can be 1,000 pounds heavier or more than gas vehicles, and they move faster, with higher torque. Since they’re extremely zippy and heavier, it’s just physics — the ability to overcome inertia so quickly is going to effect their suspension systems, the brakes and steering columns. It’s counter-intuitive, but even with fewer moving parts they are susceptible to requiring more maintenance. They especially require tire-swapping, because the tires wear out more quickly from that high torque and weight.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/26/hertz-pulls-back-on-ev-plans-citing-tesla-price-cuts-repair-costs.html

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The blue checkers are absolutely apocalyptic in the replies and getting community note'd

He still really doesn't understand social media and how people use it. Lurching from one executive decision to another because catturd2 or some other incel told him it'd be cool, and he does it, and then there are consequences because the incels didn't think it through.  

These people would get destroyed in chess or poker or pretty much anything that requires a little thought beyond their last action, including checkers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/30/23938969/x-twitter-valuation-19-billion-employee-shares

Everyone knew that Twitter wasn’t worth $44 billion when Elon Musk bought it a year ago. Now, we know what Musk himself thinks it’s worth today: $19 billion.

On Monday, employees at X were awarded equity in the company at a valuation of $19 billion, or $45 per share, according to internal documents seen by The Verge. That price is a 55 percent discount to Musk’s original purchase price, per the documents, which note that “the fair market value per share is determined by the Board of Directors based on a number of factors in a manner that complies with applicable tax rules.” (Musk is X’s chair and has yet to create a formal board.)

Since he took over Twitter, Musk has said that he wants to model the company’s compensation plan after SpaceX, which is also privately held but lets employees regularly cash out a portion of their shares to outside investors. The type of equity X is giving employees is called restricted stock units, or RSUs. These RSUs are earned over a period of four years from their grant date and require a “liquidity event,” such as an IPO or sale of the company, to be taxed as income, the internal documents explain. (Fortune first reported that X was valuing itself at $19 billion.)

Until now, employees at X have been working there without the knowledge of what the company is worth since Musk bought it. This stock award information finally answers that question, though it seems that Musk’s valuation may still be too generous; one of his big investors, Fidelity, thinks X is worth 65 percent less than when he bought it.

• Haha 4

On 10/27/2023 at 7:32 PM, Chopper said:

He's got something for incel losers like him to get excited about too!!

NY Daily News

image.thumb.png.837bfff482783e50ba3ad7a02922b6ad.png

Elon Musk plans to add a dating element to the struggling social media platform he purchased as Twitter one year ago, then rebranded into X in July. The billionaire told employees during a Thursday video call celebrating the anniversary that he plans to add the “fully fledged” coupling component in 2024, according to Insider, though details on how the singles site might be operated were not revealed.

Musk also reportedly plans to make X function as a digital banking tool. Musk has previously stated he hoped to turn his social media platform to an “everything app.”

New revenue streams appear to be imperative for X, which Musk purchased for $44 billion in October in a chaotic sale that briefly gave him cold feet.

The 52-year-old entrepreneur immediately began cutting staff and reinstating suspended accounts of users who spread hate, disinformation and bizarre conspiracy theories sometimes promoted by Musk himself.

Advertisers fled and the platform lost well more than half its value. Ditching the well-established Twitter brand may have wiped out as much as $20 billion in value too, according to Forbes.

A source familiar with Thursday’s meeting told Insider the vision Musk seems to have for X includes users paying for its growing services.

“It doesn’t seem to be what users really want,” Insider’s insider said.

this is fantastic. a site with a trillion porn bots is now going to be a dating site.

and elon plays fast and loose with everything so the odds of there being a leak of some kind that shows its an Ashley Madison 99% of females are fake level of grift is going to be awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is fantastic. a site with a trillion porn bots is now going to be a dating site.

And a financial services/banking site.  Because I know when I log into my banking account, I also want a tab right there on the menu bar next to "Transfer Money" and "Financial Planning" that says "Meet Singles Now" ("Meet bots and kids living in their mom's basement pretending to be women" is too long for the menu bar").

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And a financial services/banking site.  Because I know when I log into my banking account, I also want a tab right there on the menu bar next to "Transfer Money" and "Financial Planning" that says "Meet Singles Now" ("Meet bots and kids living in their mom's basement pretending to be women" is too long for the menu bar").

Idiocracy_omnibro25.png?resize=545,307&s

• Haha 8

Finally got a bluesky invite a couple weeks ago. It's alright to skim every once in a while but if you're twitter addicted it seems like it's growing and well-positioned to take its place. I think the time may have passed for me to be interested in a social media app and I can't imagine making/finding friends on one like I did on twitter years ago.

image.thumb.png.164aa7e784848ed6bb74807afe91d20a.png

image.thumb.png.dbac33dacb7add63951a63d585149f69.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Finally got a bluesky invite a couple weeks ago. It's alright to skim every once in a while but if you're twitter addicted it seems like it's growing and well-positioned to take its place. I think the time may have passed for me to be interested in a social media app and I can't imagine making/finding friends on one like I did on twitter years ago.

I would say that is a clever and nerdy LOTR reference with Joe Rohan, but I don't think elon is that cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Chopper said:

the lord of the rings GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would say that is a clever and nerdy LOTR reference with Joe Rohan, but I don't think elon is that cool.

I have what I hope you'll agree is good news. We DO NOT have to guess whether Elmo possesses any sense of cool.

image.thumb.png.4adb699a3a1601c235363a390a3d1c05.png

Someone points out missing the point is just Elmo's personal brand.

image.thumb.png.6a4892ab08022e7fbd37c8681e59f515.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2